Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 595 (2)
New Reply
Page 48 of 64 FirstFirst ... 38 46 47 48 49 50 58 ... LastLast

Thread: What are You Watching and What is Next on Your List?

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What are You Watching and What is Next on Your List?

I finished Anonatsu last night. A really touching anime, and one of the better romance I have seen in a long time. Highly recommended.

---------- Post added August 04, 2013 at 11:49 AM ---------- Previous post was July 26, 2013 at 11:08 AM ----------

I few days ago I finished Kannagi, a truly delightful anime. Nagi is one of my all time favorite characters, she reminds of Railgun's Misaka. Nagi reaction shots are among the funniest things I have ever seen. The whole cast is very good, the animation was outstanding, Kannagi was just a really fun show to watch. I still need to watch the (single episode) OVA.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity REN KOUEN's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    I finished Anonatsu last night. A really touching anime, and one of the better romance I have seen in a long time. Highly recommended.

---------- Post added August 04, 2013 at 11:49 AM ---------- Previous post was July 26, 2013 at 11:08 AM ----------

I few days ago I finished Kannagi, a truly delightful anime. Nagi is one of my all time favorite characters, she reminds of Railgun's Misaka. Nagi reaction shots are among the funniest things I have ever seen. The whole cast is very good, the animation was outstanding, Kannagi was just a really fun show to watch. I still need to watch the (single episode) OVA.
    ive been meaning to try anonatsu

ill try it next if its that good

Light and Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member naruto-niichan's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I've finished watching Black Lagoon yesterday. As good as expected, pretty gritty and thought-provoking. It's quite refreshing to see lots of badass females around and the plot proved to be a lot better than I thought, while the focus on action isn't as big as what I imagined. I started the OVA's today, looks really nice. I'm in for some badass Revy and Roberta

4. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member MattC302's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by naruto-niichan View Post
    I've finished watching Black Lagoon yesterday. As good as expected, pretty gritty and thought-provoking. It's quite refreshing to see lots of badass females around and the plot proved to be a lot better than I thought, while the focus on action isn't as big as what I imagined. I started the OVA's today, looks really nice. I'm in for some badass Revy and Roberta
    I won this Funimation raffle where I got to pick any bluray from them, so I picked Black Lagoon thinking I would like it. I couldn't even last 8 episodes though. I thought it was just awful. I especially had Revy. She's the worst. Though it did seem to hint at some sort of sad past that sort of justifies her acting the way she does, I couldn't last long enough to see it. Maybe I will pick it up and force myself to finish it one day though.

------------------------------------

I just finished Nekomonogatari Black. I reason I am just now getting around to watching it is because I was hoping Crunchyroll would pick it up so I could watch it on my big screen(I hate watching anime on my computer). But now that Crunchyroll is streaming Monogatari 2nd Season, I caved and watched Nekomonogatari Black on Daisuke. So now I am going to get ready to watch 2nd Season, though Crunchyroll is a month behind Daisuke....Daisuke really needs a Roku app so I can stream to my tv. I tried using Plex It on their YouTube channel, and I got the video to stream, but I couldn't get the sub titles to work. Oh well.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MattC302 View Post
    I won this Funimation raffle where I got to pick any bluray from them, so I picked Black Lagoon thinking I would like it. I couldn't even last 8 episodes though. I thought it was just awful. I especially had Revy. She's the worst. Though it did seem to hint at some sort of sad past that sort of justifies her acting the way she does, I couldn't last long enough to see it. Maybe I will pick it up and force myself to finish it one day though.
    Well, most of the characters seemingly having no morale is part of the series charm. Revy gets quite a lot of development though, even if her overall character doesn't change. The series only really gets good in the last part of the first season, when the twins appear (sounds like you didn't reach that part). From there on it really goes beyond just "mindless badassery" or what you want to call it. The series main theme (or at least what it's focusing the most own) only starts with the twins too, so you can't really judge the series before that. I consider the latest OVA's the best part yet, even though I haven't finished them at this point. I would recommend giving it another try, as Black Lagoon clearly is more as what it looks like at first.

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity MiyamotoMusashi's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally, i think that it will be hard for Matt to get into Black Lagoon because that "mindless badassery", how Naruto called it, is a great part of its appeal. There is definitely some substance there (mainly the development of a normal Japanese salarymen in a lawless city) but that is hardly enough to carry the manga and thus the anime if you don´t idolize some characters and their behavior, Balalaika for example is a fan magnet, Revy´s gunslinger badassery is another and of course Roberta.

True, you have to enjoy the badassery ~niichan
    Last edited by naruto-niichan; August 10, 2013 at 07:50 AM.

8. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Black Lagoon is one of those shows you watch for pure, visceral thrill. Very few anime do big, loud, and bad ass quite as well. Gurren Lagann is the only one that comes to mind. That's not to say there is no content, it's just that if you are looking for the anime Crime and Punishment, you're not going to find it. I loved the characters, loved the character interaction, and especially, loved watching Rock and Revy's friendship develop. This is still one of my favorite scenes in anime, saying so much about their relationship, without actually saying a word:

Spoiler show

10. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I will probably watch Angel Beats next, to see what Maeda Jun's works are all about. It seem the series is rated quite well and it's a short one, so this looks like the perfect opportunity. If I like what I see I will prolly watch Clannad next, I've delayed it for too long and I guess I will get used to the artstyle at one point.

Or maybe Toradora! next, another series I've planned to watch for a long time. I guess it depends on how much I'm going to enjoy AB.

Kya~ 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Doraku's Avatar
    Country
    Uganda
    Post Thanks / Like

I will probably watch Angel Beats next, to see what Maeda Jun's works are all about. It seem the series is rated quite well and it's a short one, so this looks like the perfect opportunity. If I like what I see I will prolly watch Clannad next, I've delayed it for too long and I guess I will get used to the artstyle at one point.

Or maybe Toradora! next, another series I've planned to watch for a long time. I guess it depends on how much I'm going to enjoy AB.
    Angel Beats has kinda slow pace for what I expected to be a full action packaged Anime. A great series, but I have that one thing as my pet peeve. Once the "real" plot is unfolded, it escalates into an A-rated Anime in my book.

---------- Post added at 07:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:59 PM ----------

Clannad is profoundly emotional, while Toradora! is just fun and entertaining. I really recommend you to catch up with those.

13. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

A lot of fans hated Angel Beats when first started, widely accused of being a Haruhi rip off. As Tenshi develops a more prominent role Angel Beats starts to seem more like a Key story.

Clannad is much better than Angel Beats. Angel Beats was good, but the two are not even really comparable.

Quote Originally Posted by Doraku View Post
    Angel Beats has kinda slow pace for what I expected to be a full action packaged Anime. A great series, but I have that one thing as my pet peeve. Once the "real" plot is unfolded, it escalates into an A-rated Anime in my book.
    That is typical Key. Their series always have light, school life prologues meant to establish character and setting. The pace always picks up when the first heroine arc begins. I'm watching Little Busters right now, and it is the same. The series does not really get interesting until the Komari arc starts, towards the end of episode four.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I noticed that I've dropped quite a lot of shows this season, namely Free!, Danganronpa, Blood Lad and Gin no Saji. One was plain silly and boring (Danganronpa), the others just didn't strike me. None of the three series were bad but I became bored rather quickly of each, so I don't see much point in forcing myself to continue. I'm on the verge of dropping Gatchaman Crowds too, so my list this summer will likely be reduced to

- Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi
    - Love Lab
    - Monogatari Series: Second Season
    - Servant x Service
    - Uchouten Kazoku
    - WataMote

Besides Kamisama, which I just can't judge yet, all of those shows are highly entertaining and deliver each week, so that's my definitive line-up for the rest of the season. I'm thinking of picking up another series of this season instead, but I'm not too sure which one.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    A lot of fans hated Angel Beats when first started, widely accused of being a Haruhi rip off. As Tenshi develops a more prominent role Angel Beats starts to seem more like a Key story.

Clannad is much better than Angel Beats. Angel Beats was good, but the two are not even really comparable.
    Hmm okay, I'm prepared for a slow start. The problem I had with Clannad is I really dislike the artstyle, at least from what I've seen of episode 1 a while back. It had a slow start as well and together with the artstyle made it really difficult to continue. I'm probably doing the series injustice but the start was pretty boring. If I like Angel Beats I will likely have enough motivation to endure the artstyle until I get accustomed to it and the good story parts kick in.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The art style can't really be helped. Clannad's art style was typical of bishoujo anime in the early 2000's, before K-On. Clannad is like many older anime, styles have changed since it came out, judging it based on art is not a good idea. I will caution again that Clannad is much better than Angel Beats. Angle Beats is a good show that has it's share of flaws. Clannad is an all time classic. They are very similar stories, only Clannad does everything better.

---------- Post added at 12:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 PM ----------

I ended up deciding not to drop Gatchaman: Crowds. It's silly, pointless, and slightly annoying, but entertaining.

Translator 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Kyouria's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi is pretty good but has a slow pace - I wish more episodes were out!

Not sure what to watch next though.. I'll probably roam MyAnimeList for something to see..

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I finally got around to watching the first part of GiTS: Arise. Very good, lot's of action, and fast paced. Something of a prologue episode, it set the upcoming episode up well, while still having a substantial story. A little faster paced than Stand Alone Complex, does not bog down as much in procedure. Arise has little in common with the 1995. Not necessarily recommended for anyone who has not seen Stand Alone Complex. The story would be easy to follow, but without knowing the characters, and their relationships, I can't imagine Arise would be as satisfying. Fans of GiTS though will really enjoy Arise, which is already going into considerable details about the characters past.

4-Star Loli-Hunter 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Skyguardian's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I completed Kokoro Connect and Fate/Zero recently... Next will be Hyouka or Gurren Lagann.
    Just don't know when I'm going to start.

New Reply
Page 48 of 64 FirstFirst ... 38 46 47 48 49 50 58 ... LastLast