Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 601 by BadKarma , Gintama 515 (2)
New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Characters of Claymore Project

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member jamie95403's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Characters of Claymore Project

I suspect Uma of greater things in the future. Everyone in the manga may be underestimating her and Tabitha. The fact that both are not taken seriously due to their low Yoki may be a good sign. Just like Clare at the beginning of the series.

Regardless of what the Data Books and reader polls say (and I'm not saying that either is wrong), I personally find it hard to put artificial limits on the warriors in my mind. I wish them to be free to develop and not fit any preconception of what they can and can't do. I wish to be surprised, saddened, delighted and elated by what the warriors do in the future. As Irene said, I expect nothing.

So how will Uma and Tab develop in the future? What will they do? Well, I hope it's unpredictable. So I won't try to predict anything definite here!
    Last edited by jamie95403; March 08, 2011 at 05:42 AM.
    All possibilities are on the table...

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member HegemonKhan's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

CLARE the Impulsive and Stubborn One seeking Vengence

in ch 100 pages 23-25, Clare herself tells us that, that just wasn't the case, all she truly cares about is revenge. Clare just wanted to see Raki to say goodbye to him. Oh, Clare cares about Raki, Deneve, Helen, and the others, but she doesn't really-care about them (if that makes any sense), as the ONLY thing she truly-really cares about is revenge on Priscilla.

---------------------------

P.S.

at some point, I'll put together and complete my Clare analysis. (I got some bit and pieces of it, but I need to put it together and need to complete it too)

but here's what I've got so far:

Spoiler: Clare Notes 1 show

Spoiler: Clare Notes 2, and a small bit of stuff about Teresa too show

Spoiler: Clare Notes 3 show

Spoiler: Clare Notes 4 - Clare's "losses and sufferings" show

Last edited by HegemonKhan; March 17, 2011 at 05:26 PM.

3. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

To regard any one statement by Clare, such as her only reason to exist is to kill Priscilla, as being true for all times and places, might limit our understanding of not only Clare, but of life in general.

Without getting into multi-personalities, we are still many people. A single personality will have many emotions, thoughts and feelings, ever changing.

As others have controversially speculated, if Clare did kill Priscilla, it may only bring partial closure, at best. Or even create more problems for Clare. Though we think otherwise at the time, many of our own “failures” prove necessary for true growth.

Though there were those of us were annoyed by Lucky's efforts to save Priscilla in the anime, we tend to forget that Lucky was also trying save Clare from going over to the “darkside.”

When Clare made her statement to Deneuve and Helen (Scene 100), Clare was indeed at a low moment in her life. After many years of effort, she “failed” to even begin any credible attack against Priscilla. I put quotes around “failed” because there may good reasons, beyond Clare's understanding at that moment why she “failed.”

And this is just one moment in her life. Think of her other moments. The first time her eyes met Teresa's in Theo village. Or when she laughed in the inn over Teresa's fears that the villagers would chase them away after the boy's rescue. Or when in agony she held Elena as she slept in a training school cell. Or the very moment she decided to save her enemy during that final exam, instead of abandoning her.

Each of these is another facet of Clare, each with their own “only reason to exist.” And each equally valid. May we see Clare have many “only reason to exist” moments!
    Last edited by jamie95403; March 18, 2011 at 01:58 AM.

5. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member HegemonKhan's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not saying that revenge is the only thing she desires and hatred the only thing she feels, but I am arguing that it is that which defines her, her main or strongest or deepest or at her roots, it's who she is and what her actions are towards.

Of course, anyone's free to provide their own assessment of Clare as well

This is just my own assessment, and I feel it's very well supported, but it's certainly not the only assessment of Clare, as she is quite complicated, and multi-charactered/personalified (making up a word here, lol)

--------

P.S.

Spoiler: off-topic show

Last edited by HegemonKhan; March 18, 2011 at 05:00 AM.

7. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Much literature and film is one-dimensional. And most people on this planet, at least on an emotional level, want revenge. From fairy tales to the "Death Wish" film series, "revenge" is often where it's at, commercially and psychologically.

My sampling various manga and anime series reflected this eternal desire for retribution. Of course much great art has sprung from the quest for the Grail (of revenge).

The downside could be monotony. One Shakespearean scholar, the US novelist Louis Auchincloss wrote a book titled "Motiveless Malignity," about stereotypical characterizations in Shakespeare's plays.

Despite being written during the Renaissance, the plays still reflected the Medieval theory of "Humours," which a fictional character would possess a "single TRUE characteristic" as Hege put it. But the beautiful language does disguise the shallowness of characterization.

Yagi, to my inexpert estimation, does better (in terms of character growth).

From birth to death, people change. They learn to love, to hate, to fear, to trust. They gain knowledge, some true, some false. But they change. Whether that involves "single TRUE characteristics," "FAKE or HOLLOW characteristics, "multiple TRUE characteristics," it doesn't matter. It's all about growth.

Even Helen changed more than Hamlet!

Yes, Clare is "about" revenge. And even if we were to ignore her every other characteristic, that revenge keeps changing its shape, size, force and direction.

Regarding those "squeamish about revenge," my experience is they wouldn't read Claymore in the first place. They're into the New Age, self-improvement or religious fiction genres (though most I've read don't even reach the commonsensical level of Helen's "It's perfectly natural to always want to stay alive. We're only human, after all!").

The late Susan Sontag wrote a book titled "Against Interpretation," in which she warned how readers' experiences were being warped by schools and literary critics putting out their views on how everything should be read.

I'm glad this forum exists so we can all put forth our views, but in the end, like Yagi, we'll have to trust all the readers and ourselves to make up one's own mind on what Claymore means. And there is no "wrong" interpretation.

And sometimes, as Sontag said, we just have to let "it speak for itself."

All of the above is speculation only!
    Last edited by jamie95403; March 18, 2011 at 02:48 PM.

9. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Ravenstar's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Claymore 119 Disc/120 Pred Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Shinsatsu View Post
    I don't think that Dae's idea is a smart one... Planning to summon 3 dead Claymores in a way that will make them awaken.
    I think that even if the 3 N°1s awakened and won the fight against the rebels, the organization itself will be in a grave danger. Why? because three awakened beings will attack any nearby source of Youki... And that means the organization...
    Yes I agree that it wasn't a very smart plan.. but I don't think Dae was going for the smart plan of attack.. I believe that he does not care less what ultimately happens to the organization all he thinks and cares about is the pursuit of his science.. his research.. his creations.. he's the classic "mad scientist" type.. his resurrection of the dead Claymore screams Frankenstein or should I say Frankenstein's Brides! I think destruction is inevitable and I hope all "the resurrected ones" awaken!!

Quote Originally Posted by Vengeance View Post
    Roxanne did it in front of fellow Claymores because she needed witnesses. Had Roxanne simply killed the number 1 ranked warrior people would start asking questions. Basically she planned it out like that to cover her own ass.
    I agree.. Another thing I can add about Roxanne's plot and I think this is the main reason she had gathered many witnesses is because she is cruel & heartless.. I think that killing Cassandra and becoming no.1 just wasn't enough for her.. she wanted her ascent to power to be epic and absolute.. everyone needed to bare witness as she shames Cassandra by showing the organization the horrible technique that Cassandra wanted to hide.. turning everyone's admiration into horror.. to add more insult and dishonor she delivers a crippling blow using the Evil Blade technique as if Cass was just a common monster..

oh my i think i'm internalizing Roxanne's personality too much..
    *note to self stop listening to Roxanne's voice inside your head

to better determine the result if ever there would be a 1 on 1 battle between Roxanne and Cassandra here are the list of what we know about them..

Cassandra the Dust Eater

Strengths
    ~she is caring, loyal & seems honorable
    ~has a unique technique which is not easy to dodge and counter
    ~the technique also allows her to dodge attacks which makes her harder to kill
    ~has great endurance even if injured
    *so she most probably has a significantly great amount of yoki or atleast has a significantly higher amount of yoki than that of an average no.1
    *or although not likely she might just be a defensive type who developed a very useful & potent technique for both dodging and attacking.. remember aside from her exceptional endurance that her speed, strength & basic sword skills were only equal to an average rank.5 ( imagine if Deneve can learn Dust Eater )
    ~seems to have awakened so there would be a definite increase in yoki, speed & power etc etc..
    *the strength of her will/humanity will also determine if her awakening helps her or not, coz she might be easily distracted by cravings for human flesh etc.. but as i've said she is pretty determined to avenge her friend
    ~last and most important of all she has a strong determination & will to avenge her friend & kill Roxy

Weaknesses
    ~her technique does not have the element of surprise anymore..
    ~her speed, strength and regular sword technique when in her normal state is inferior to most no.1s.. if i'm not mistaken only a match to an average no.5
    ~in her extreme emotional state she is careless w/c is what killed her the last time..

Roxanne of Love and Hate

Strengths
    ~from what i see she is observant & intelligent thus she excels and is experienced in assessing both her opponent & the battle situation around her
    ~her initial ability "Yoki Synchronization" gives her great potential and adaptability in battle
    ~she has mastered & maybe even surpassed the "Evil Sword" technique of former no.31 Uranus
    ~she has mastered & maybe even surpassed the "Yoki Perception & One Eyed Fighting" technique of former no.9 Neideen
    ~she has mastered & maybe even surpassed the "Beautiful Sword" technique of former the former no.5 Elizabeth
    ~she has practiced her left handed fighting style with Cassandra herself
    ~she has developed a technique to completely hide her yoki from a particular target
    ~she has a sick & twisted personality therefore fighting dirty & using an enemy's emotion to her advantage is not above her
    *she might still have continued to improved when she became no.1 but we know nothing of the events after Cass's death..

Weaknesses
    ~she might become over confident & she toy's with her opponents which might give her opponent a chance to beat her
    *her techniques might have weaknesses that we might not know of
    *she also might have a lower amount of yoki due to the fact she was given a low rank initially ( "yoki volume" I think is one if not the most important factor/s in determining a trainees initial rank since they only have the basic skill & they lack experience.. I don't know if yoki volume can be increase with age, skill or experience but i believe it affects the potential power of a warrior )

so taking all this into consideration I think the odds are in favor of Roxy.. I'd say about 60-65% percent chance of success.. it all depends on how emotionally distressed & careless Cassandra is or how over confident Roxy is..

sorry if the post is too long.. to those who took the time to read it thank you..
    Last edited by Ravenstar; October 07, 2011 at 09:21 PM.

11. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2