Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 595 by BadKarma
New Reply

Thread: The Akika Thread

Banned 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The Akika Thread

Introduction:

I've been studying Japanese for six years or so. I've passed the JLPT Level 2.

Right now I'm probably not going to actively or consistently work on any new projects until I finish up till volume ten of Sengoku. However, if a title really interests me, I may translate a chapter or two.

So what kind of manga interest me? I prefer the stuff for older readers, like seinen. I like plotful stuff with detailed characterization, and detailed art. My favorite genres are: historical, horror, and sci-fi/fantasy.

I'm afraid I'm not that interested in translating manga that are already being translated currently by other groups. That means none of the uber-popular Weekly Shounen Jump titles like Naruto or KHR. Nothing against these titles, I just don't want to reinvent the wheel.

Genres I'm not interested in translating: Harem. Episodic manga. I find gag manga really frustrating to translate because translating jokes is really difficult.

Genres I'm neutral on: Romance is hit or miss with me. Sometimes I like it, sometimes I don't. Slice of life is also hit or miss.

Anyway, feel free to ask me questions.

Banned 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Akika Thread

Where have you been learning Japanese? In university, or self-taught?

What's your favorite Japanese meal?

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I first learned in university (took up to the fourth year level), but then I learned informally by living in Japan and studying on my own.

I like sushi and tempura, mostly. Also okonomiyaki and unagi don.

Scanlator 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

What's your favorite manga for each genre you listed (historical, horror, sci-fi and fantasy)?

I know you're not interested in translated wsj stuff but how do you feel about the multiple translators on a single series like the wsj stuff?
    I like pie.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Historical: technically, not manga, but if we count manhua as well, the Ravages of Time.

For horror, Uzumaki.

Sci fi: Probably... Five Star Stories (helluva hard to read, though) or 20th Century Boys.

Fantasy: Onmyouji.

Multiple translators: If the original translator has given up on a series, I have no problem with it, obviously. Otherwise, unless there is something seriously wrong with the first translation, it seems to be a waste of everyone's time.

Scanlator 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member L0ki's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you read Junji Ito's Yami no Koe? It's a collection of short stories (horror, obviously) and there's only one chapter translated. It doesn't look like it's going to be fully translated anytime soon... or ever. Well, since it's one of your favorite author's works I thought maybe you'd consider working on it.

New Reply