Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2) , Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: favorite single chapter... or interesting chapter.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

favorite single chapter... or interesting chapter.

Post your favorite chapters, or just interesting ones.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    ignore the conspiracy theory rant below and post whatever ch's you liked.

interesting chapter:
    http://www.mangavolume.com/index.php...248&page_nr=15

rambling here, but tried to convey concept I saw in this ch. yes I know I over-analyzed it, but everything loosely ties together.

I always thought this guy was annoying, but I noticed the chapter title and it made more sense. Enlightenment Through Death. Enlightenment is usually understanding an experience, opposed to wrapping your mind around a concept, such as religion (though concepts have their lesser usefulness... only saying concepts are usually more confusing than helpful; opposed to an experience which can teach and mature a person that instant).

That annoying man could die at that moment and he'd remain another lost, confused and ignorant soul. Katou could die for him or in this case save his life, and find enlightenment through Gantz for himself. Those innocents might represent a part of Katou, and he's less hesitant after that experience in Osaka, so the old indecisive Katou has grown up. Katou knows to save people but he can't teach others to save people unless they are willing and interested. After he did this little things happened like the wife of the annoying man thanked him, and Anzu took serious interest.

Katou cements his place in the Gantz badass hall of fame at that moment and goes on to pull another Buddha victory vs Nuri and little hat alien.

Inaba also achieved enlightenment through death, but most of his Gantz life was the opposite, and he was always a prisoner of himself... like the annoying guy who Katou saved. The annoyin guy almost represents humanity as a whole, who might only reach enlightenment as a society once most of humanity is killed off and a new chance at life is given (ending to Gantz maybe?).

*poster starts getting off topic and relates Gantz to the real world*
    All the corporations and billions of people growing out of control corrupt not only nature (which is necessary habitat for mankind) but also the spirit of humans (because it becomes a panicked rat race). The annoying man and his family are so use to the safety of modern society, that mankind becomes like a retarded vampire who sucks it's own blood, which Katou's enlightenment has little to do with. But mankind's enlightenment is through Katastrophe, solving the population and government problems at the same time. Once people like Nishi save mankind, then people like Katou, Kaze, Takeshi & Kurono can rebuild and nurture it right! lol
    Last edited by cassaruby; January 18, 2010 at 04:28 PM.

"Heh whatever" -Nishi
    7Seeds Best Manga Ever.

Proofreaders 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member erik-the-red's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: favorite single chapter... or interesting chapter.

My favorite is actually a series of three chapters: 165-167.

Spoiler show

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Damura's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a lot of favorite chapters. One that really stands out to me though is the whole story surrounding the sexaholic from Osaka. There I was under the impression that the Osakans were fucking crazy with their drug-addled suicide tactics, and this guy took it to a whole new level. It was a lot of fun watching him.

I like your choice a lot cassaruby. It was great to see how, despite his team, despite the Osakans, despite Anzu and despite his own ambitions, he managed to conquer his fears and became a real hero, setting off on his own to save innocent civilians. He's pretty much a saint, but it's not often in my experience that characters like him have such an intense internal struggle.

I wonder though what kind of enlightenment humanity could have through something like Katastrophe. I can easily imagine people doing whatever it takes - at the expense of others - to survive. I can also imagine, should humanity somehow survive this, that any society that is to be rebuilt is going to be full of corruption. Good people are rare in Gantz.
    Last edited by Damura; January 22, 2010 at 09:32 AM.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

ignore my post here too, it's prolly annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Damura View Post
    I wonder though what kind of enlightenment humanity could have through something like Katastrophe. I can easily imagine people doing whatever it takes - at the expense of others - to survive. I can also imagine, should humanity somehow survive this, that any society that is to be rebuilt is going to be full of corruption. Good people are rare in Gantz.
    too bad there won't be a phase 4! rebuilding after katastrophe and the wars between Ryou & Nishi vs. Katou & Takeshi!

well currently, viewing society today, it looks like we have too many leaders, and we came in from the cold too late. history was full of ridiculous wars, that lead to huge power struggles and fear.

everyday things are getting abit worse, and how could any of these leaders focus on problems pertaining to the future. think about world population, we have no answer and still plenty of fossil fuels to sex it through the roof. a catastrophe would solve half the problem of today's society and since the apoclypic generation would still have an understanding of history it has a chance to take multiple paths. repeat or do better. if a second chance failed and someone took power, at least it would only be a handful of leaders to start with, right?

the best I would hope for from a bunch of Gantzers, would be their suits deactiviating after throwing the aliens down to the ground, and better roots and foundation for the next society. if all the leaders and false securities fell, we'd all be meek again and have a chance to put it in a better place. a chance.

by the time leaders had the grid up and working again, would their goals be the same? kinda scary, it's hard to say it would ever work out, but something'll change... whether the aliens win, humans become cockroaches, or something out of our control comes our way to help; maybe that thing is Gantz and Katastrophe.

But if Gantzers did rule, then they'd have too much power for their ego's and that could be an ugly little war. lol, we defeat the aliens and then the Gantzers wipe out humanity in one last power struggle, between Takeshi and old man Sebastian or whoever.

Gantz reminds me of a nuclear weapons, whoever possesses it, has immense power.
    So the jamaican Gantzer team pulls through right and makes a Civilization to fight Babylon, the other corrupt society.
    There's this one reggae song that says "you know our ways are there, they got the guns to shoot us down, but we nah really care; my enemies, i will defend the poor, I will shoot a wicked man & close the coffin door; militant, sometimes the lion roar, you must defend, and not pretend that jahjah is impure." equal rights & justice. "i know, one day, we shall see, babylon go under, down there, in the heat." - Niyorah

alright, done ranting for good, it's out of my system.
    Last edited by cassaruby; January 23, 2010 at 01:46 AM.

"Heh whatever" -Nishi
    7Seeds Best Manga Ever.

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Lets say a bunch of these leaders survive. They are going to want to rebuild the government that they had before. And they can be persuasive sometimes. Gantzer's are fighters. Not Governors. And what if some particularly sadistic Gantzers survive? What if these particular gentlemen decide that they wouldn't mind taking over the world by force? War. Some people like to take these kinds of opportunities, when they have the chance.

I just can't see humanity ever fixing itself.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

at least it's only one ruler, chances can fail but better than no chance at all.

"Heh whatever" -Nishi
    7Seeds Best Manga Ever.

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Nah they'd try and resurrect that "democracy" bullshit again.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Damura View Post
    Nah they'd try and resurrect that "democracy" bullshit again.
    i like how gantz treats everyone haha, they can no longer be lazy, and money isn't involved. prolly why it's interesting manga, people can relate to characters and situations. characters are human, and the farce of everyday life explodes. now with katastrophe, everythings on the table.

going off topic.
    last week/this week corporations can now donate unlimited $ to politics; supreme court ruling. democracy is dying over here, gonna be a big ugly change soon, as simple as corporations won, unless people ever rise up (many politicians who support small business and "the people" are rarely voted for lol). kinda survival of the fittest, and money is thriving whereas people succum to laziness/depression.

Nishi is free! He represents something so socially unacceptable, yet he's free from being controlled. If he makes it to the end I'd laugh so hard, the irony.

"Heh whatever" -Nishi
    7Seeds Best Manga Ever.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted gnut's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

had to be when kei jumped into giant buddah's head.bad assss!!!!

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Devil Hunter's Avatar
    Country
    Israel
    Post Thanks / Like

I liked the whole series of chapters involving the Nurihayon mission. And 'Black Clothing' was a pretty badass way to introduce the vampire characters.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner NishiM's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Osaka and Italy were the most fun (read gore) passages for me.

I was also delighted with Nishi's filler chapter about his life in school.
    I've passed trough the same hell a long time ago(but yet wasn't thrown by the window) and the way that he has accomplished his revenge made such a big impact on me, making me able to understand the whole entity of his feelings towards people.
    I wish I had a X-GUN 10 years ago (laugh).
    it's okay to be me.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Surreaoland's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NishiM View Post
    I was also delighted with Nishi's filler chapter about his life in school
    A school massacre every 10 chapters or so is fun.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member El Samurai Guapo's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Surreaoland View Post
    A school massacre every 10 chapters or so is fun.
    Well when I saw Nishi get some payback on his classmates, I thought: "It's about freakin' time one of them puts use to their gantz equipment in their personal lives."

I've said this before, If I could turn invisible, jump like spiderman, have superhuman strength & durability, and have access to the h-gun, y-gun, and sword, I would have at least attempted something along the lines of world domination.

Oh, and in case anyone was wondering what I'd need the y-gun for, it would be ideal for taking down an attack helicopter (e.g. an Apache) that was after you. Possibly even a jet, depending upon how fast the triangular thing that shoots out of it travels.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Surreaoland's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by El Samurai Guapo View Post
    Well when I saw Nishi get some payback on his classmates, I thought: "It's about freakin' time one of them puts use to their gantz equipment in their personal lives."

I've said this before, If I could turn invisible, jump like spiderman, have superhuman strength & durability, and have access to the h-gun, y-gun, and sword, I would have at least attempted something along the lines of world domination.

Oh, and in case anyone was wondering what I'd need the y-gun for, it would be ideal for taking down an attack helicopter (e.g. an Apache) that was after you. Possibly even a jet, depending upon how fast the triangular thing that shoots out of it travels.
    You'd easily be stopped with a missile strike via an unobservable drone, but they might simply neutralize you to preserve the suit for reverse engineering. Ideally, a user would become an incredibly proficient contract killer, I think, or intelligence officer.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member El Samurai Guapo's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Surreaoland View Post
    You'd easily be stopped with a missile strike via an unobservable drone, but they might simply neutralize you to preserve the suit for reverse engineering. Ideally, a user would become an incredibly proficient contract killer, I think, or intelligence officer.
    And how would they do that if I remain invisibility constantly? They have no idea who or what I am, or where to even start looking. All they'd know is that one minute their military bases were there, the next minute they were completely flattened. Toppling a government is easier than you think. Using U.S. as an example, if I were to destroy the white house, congress, and the pentagon, it would put the entire country in a state of disarray and panic. The military and law enforcement would have their hands full with just maintaining order.

Really the only way I could plausibly see a government eliminating a gantzer -who knows how to play his or her cards right- is if they decide to forgo public safety and blow up an entire area (i.e. nuke) where they may believe their target is located. I don't see that happening though, since they wouldn't even have a clue as to what on earth even attacking them in the first place.
    Last edited by El Samurai Guapo; September 13, 2010 at 05:41 PM.

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast