Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Saint Young Men by Nakamura Hikaru

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: [Featured] Saint Young Men by Nakamura Hikaru

To ReanaCamellia

http://www.onemanga.com/Saint_Young_Men/11/16/

The joke in this page is lost in translation.It is a Japanese pun.As you know there are words that have the same pronunciation with different meanings.
    I guess that Jesus said
    "Kami nomizo(only) shiru(know),Kami no misoshiru(miso-soup)"
    which literally means the miso-soup that only God knows in English.
    So I think the pun was lost when it was translated to English.

2. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Akiyama's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Saint Young Men by Nakamura Hikaru

Saint ☆ Young Men wallpaper
    My favorite has to be the Happy Birthday / Merry Christmas cake. xD

Pink Warrior 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member baboysai's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

I just started to read this *AGAIN* last night for the lack of anything else to read. I checked around and apparently it is still on-going. I had thought that if the mangaka was working on Arakawa, maybe he gave it up. Good thing he didn't.

a sad state of scanlations though. I only read 12 chapters scanlated... unless you guys have any news?

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Drmke's Avatar
    Country
    Casterly Rock
    Post Thanks / Like

Sadly I can't find anything about new chapters past 12 If someone would just go ahead and license it........I could forgive the lack of scans.

OCCUPY THE WORLD

I got by Kaiten.
    <%M3J> Though I wouldn't mind Sari dominating me.

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Ever since meg-chan stopped translating releases went from inconsistent to non-existent. Raws should be easy to find, if an interested translator is out there I bet it would get scanlated again.

I'll try and find a link but Ed Chavez from Vertical basically said it's unreleasable in the States, unless religious attitudes change. Vertical calling it untouchable doesn't leave me with much hope. I guess an indie publisher could pick it up; Fantagraphics or Last Gasp might not be as afraid of offending the PTA.

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I wouldn't think it would get licensed.

However, seeing an anime would be awesome. Am I too optimistic? I don't mind not reading the manga for the lack of scans if there were at least 2 seasons of an anime though. wehehehe.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Roflkopt3r's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    I'll try and find a link but Ed Chavez from Vertical basically said it's unreleasable in the States, unless religious attitudes change. Vertical calling it untouchable doesn't leave me with much hope.
    I didn't pick the series up (I'll start until weekend though!) but I really can't comprehend such a statement. I mean, it might be correct, but it's a sad thing to hear. Because Saint Young Men sounds like a very interesting approach, and it would require a lot of narrow-mindedness in religious questions to condemn it right away, yet I guess that's basically what Chavez means to say...

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

It would actually require a lot of research to come up with such a work. It's no easy feat, and he has to flesh out characters that are already preconceived by a lot of people.

Heh, it's actually because of this manga that I'm now reading Tezuka Osamu's Buddha.

Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Scanlations have resumed. Clicky the mangaupdates link in the OP, links to the scanlator are there. A reliable group is working on it. It's been ages, so I think I'm going to reread the first 12 chapters first.

11. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    The Giggs MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted igotthegoods's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Sweet! I just noticed this on mangaupdates myself and decided that it's finally time for me to start reading it. I'm putting everything else on hold to check this out.

Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

I did the same, as soon as I saw chapter 13 I dropped everything. I did reread the first 12 chapters, as delightful as ever, even the second time through. My favorite part is still when Buddha's manga made Jesus so happy he started turning dinner plates into bread!

Chapter 13 was excellent too! Especially Buddha turning the baby duck into an adult while all of the other boaters followed behind him. The angels trying to carry Jesus back to heaven when he jumped to high was also made of win.

It seems that Nakamura is taking maternity leave, St. Young Men will be going on an extended break starting in September. Not that it effects us much, seeing as how far behind we are online.

---------- Post added August 27, 2011 at 11:34 PM ---------- Previous post was August 22, 2011 at 10:24 PM ----------

Chapter 14 is out at S2scans
    Last edited by Kaiten; August 22, 2011 at 09:27 PM.

The Giggs MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted igotthegoods's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I loved the dinner plates turning into bread too! All of the accidental miracles are win.... and so creative. One of my other favorite moments is when they go to the hospital when Buddha is sick and everyone thinks they're dying because they see Jesus. This manga is so great! Soooooo many hilarious moments. I wish it would get licensed in English one of these days, but there's almost no way I can see that happening. Such a shame, because this is good enough that I'd consider it to be a must-own.

The latest two chapters have been on par with the rest. I lol'd at both of those moments Kaiten mentioned from chapter 13. The notion of having Jesus and Buddha go on a "pilgramage" to Akihabara in chapter 14 was brilliant in and of itself. Jesus was so excited he started crying and praying... and then started floating. Poor guy looked so defeated and disappointed when he realized what Buddha was really wanting to buy with his 80,000 yen. Oh, and I love how Jesus keeps wanting these crazy costumes to wear as pajamas. Good stuff.

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

I really love how the mangaka characterized these two. It's like, they're so believable like that. Jesus being the more childish and impulsive of the two, and Buddha getting stressed over his behavior but genuinely wants to make Jesus happy. lol.

I just got to downloading the two newest chapters now, so... brb. ^^

Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

They remind me of the odd couple. Jesus is Jack Klugman, Buddha Tony Randall. Is it wrong that Jesus and Buddha is the greatest non-romantic bromance's in manga history?

Quote Originally Posted by igotthegoods View Post
    I wish it would get licensed in English one of these days, but there's almost no way I can see that happening. Such a shame, because this is good enough that I'd consider it to be a must-own.
    Ed Chavez already said no. Since he is the head of Vertical, the only publishing company that could get the rights to St. Young Men, there is no chance of it ever being licensed.

Quote Quote:
    The latest two chapters have been on par with the rest. I lol'd at both of those moments Kaiten mentioned from chapter 13. The notion of having Jesus and Buddha go on a "pilgramage" to Akihabara in chapter 14 was brilliant in and of itself. Jesus was so excited he started crying and praying... and then started floating. Poor guy looked so defeated and disappointed when he realized what Buddha was really wanting to buy with his 80,000 yen. Oh, and I love how Jesus keeps wanting these crazy costumes to wear as pajamas. Good stuff.
    The pilgrimage to Akihabara was one of my favorite parts so far. Jesus acted just like a butthurt 11 year old who's mom was really shopping for a new rice cooker instead of games. I also thought it was hilarious when he was pouting and trying on the Captain Jack Sparrow cosplay!

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Nakamura made a 1h conference in Paris last saturday. It was mainly focus on saint young men (her only serie translated in french). From memory here are some of her answers:
    From her 2 series, it is easiest to draw arakawa but she prefers saint young men characters
    Jesus looks a lot like herself and Buddha to her sister
    Surprisingly, she thinks she has more knowledge on christianism than buddhism
    Despite writing comedies, she wanted to draw some serious stories in the beginning. She still would like to but she is not sure if they would perform as good
    There was someone in her relation in the manga industry. That's how she was interested in becomming a mangaka and learn techniques from him.

18. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast