Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo
New Reply

Thread: Favorite Manga Magazines

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Favorite Manga Magazines

Everyone knows the "big" magazines - WSJ, SQ, Weekly Shonen Magazine, Shonen Sunday. Anyone have any favorites other than those four? If so what are your favorites and why do you like them.

For me:

*IKKI, Manga Erotics F: So interrelated I can't describe them separately. Both specialize in alternative/underground style manga. It is not uncommon for mangaka to have series featured in both anthologies, often at the same time. Kitoh Mohiro, Iragashi Daisuke, Ono Natsume, Matsumoto Jiro, and Q Hayashida have had manga featured in one or both magazines.
    *Big Comic Spirits: Not quite as distinct a style as the two above but lot's of brilliant series. 20th Century Boys and Maison Ikkoku were featured there. The brilliant Taiyo Matsumoto has had most of his series, including Tekkonkinkreet, Takemitsu Zamurai and Ping Pong, serialized in BCS.
    *Betsuma: Nice, fluffy shojo anthology. Lot's of memorable romance series have been anthologized there: LoveCom, Kimi ni Todoke, High School Debut, and Itazura na Kiss.
    Last edited by Kaiten; October 04, 2011 at 05:58 PM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Rejuvenation's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Other Magazines - Favorites?

Spoiler: Young Gangan show

Spoiler: Shounen Gangan show

Spoiler: Shounen Ace show

One magazine I'd love to see more from is Bessatsu Shounen Magazine. My Japanese still is limited atm but from the looks of it, there are at least 8+ titles I'd read from it. Only Countrouble has been scanned as far as I know but it already has the makings of a fun romantic comedy.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member LilaChan's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

I personally have a biased love toward Ribon and Nakayoshi.

I liked Ribon because the stories are still safe for under 12 year olds but they are more mature compared to Ciao and Nakayoshi. Too bad Ribon is now aiming for the younger audience and moved most of its mangakas to other magazines. Arina Tanemura is the queen in Ribon, having a colour page for every chapter since Kamikaze Kaito Jeanne (that's like from 1997 or 1996 I think). I do love her Fullmoon Wo Sagashite, it was a bit too wangst from time to time, but I enjoyed it. Kodocha is pretty old, but the mix between drama and comedy is done well. I really enjoy Haruta Nana's works too, they might be typical high school drama, but each chapter gives me a smile.

I like Nakayoshi for shoujo mangas that are moe, since if it wasn't for Sailor Moon or Cardcaptor Sakura we wouldn't have moe . I'm a big mahou shoujo fan, of course I love Cardcaptor Sakura. Sakura, the definition of moe. Watashi XXX Shinasai right now is the perfect mix between a moe female lead (bonus points for reminding me of Shana-tan) and a bishounen male lead, it's a bit of a guitly pleasure though. Kitchen Princess is the best shoujo cooking manga I have ever read, likable characters even if the plot is a bit predictable.

Lala and Hana to yume have been doing quite well with me lately, although I never know which manga is in which magazine. With Ouran, Special A, Toshokan Senou -Love and War-, Kaicho wo Maid-sama and Gakuen Alice, there's alot of good shoujo without all the corny romance in it (Fruits Basket and Vampire Knight runs in these two, but I'm not very fond of them).

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Akiyama's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I have 2 favorite seinen mags that have contained some of my favorite series.

Morning - Home to ~ Billy Bat, Say Hello to Black Jack, Chi's Sweet Home, Giant Killing, Livingstone, Piano no Mori, Planetes, and Vagabond.

Afternoon - Home to ~ DoLL, Genshiken, Historie, Mushishi, Suiiki, Vinland Saga, and Yugo

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member ruggia's Avatar
    Country
    South Korea
    Post Thanks / Like

Let's see... since I can't read Kanji, these are all shounen mag with furigana.

Shounen Gangan - for FMA, Soul Eater, Bloody Cross, Bamboo Blade B, Toaru Majutsu no Index, Nagasarete Airantou, Zetsuen no Tempest (and Judge). Like all of them, some for good plot, some for just light-comedy and laughs.

Big Comic Alive - Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge, Aria the Scarlet Ammo, Taboo Tattoo, The Sacred Blacksmith. has lot of the recent series that I really like.

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Drmke's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

I like almost everything out of Big Comic Spirits and Big Comic Superior. Those are the ones I would buy every week/every other week if I lived in Japan.

OCCUPY THE WORLD

I got by Kaiten.
    <%M3J> Though I wouldn't mind Sari dominating me.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

BCS is cool isn't it! Especially since the refugees from Young Sunday moved in. Young Sunday was a pretty cool magazine too, now that I think about it T_T

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member WinningDays's Avatar
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Well my favorite definitely is WSJ but here's some other ones I like...

Comic Zero Sum - I think the magazine is not that famous at all, but it has series like Amatsuki, Karneval, Loveless, Zanbara, 07 Ghost, etc.
    Big Comic Original - I just like Urasawa Naoki and Master Keaton and Monster are two of my favorites

Cheese! - I love Shimaki Ako and she's usually in this magazine...I love her, she's great, well, her drawings are just so good, very unique and nice!
    Lala - It's got Kaichou wa Maid-sama, Vampire Knight, and Ouran, which are some of my favorite shojo series.

Bessatsu Friend - This one has kind of harder shojo series, they've already ended but Mars, Peach Girl, and Deep Love were in this magazine...and they are kind of the darker side of Shojo...well, Peach Girl isn't, but I think it's one of the best shojo manga ever anyway.
    Bessatsu Margaret - I like a lot of its series, but right now Strobe Edge is my favorite.

And sometimes Hana to Yume - I like a lot of its series but I hate a lot too, but it usually has somewhat unusual stories.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Cheese is an interesting magazine, Shogakukan seems to be building it into their flagship shojo. AOKI Kotomi's new series is there.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm adding Bessatsu Shounen Magazine to my list of favorites. They serialize so many good series: Shinegki no Kyojin, Sankarea, Choujin Gakuen, Mardock Scramble, Aku no Hana, Animal Land, Countrouble. Most of their manga are fantasy or supernatural themed, a few exceptions aside. So my updated favorites list (in no real order) looks like this:
    • Big Comic Spirits: Always a cool magazine. Not an alternative magazine but will prominently feature nouvelle artists alongside more mainstream titles. And they are great titles. Tomehane and Ushijima-Kun are amazing manga.
    • Ikki: Shogakukan's alternative manga magazine. Weird, wild, offbeat, and unusual.
    • Afternoon: Similar in style to Big Comic Spirits, both could be described as hipster magazines.
    • Manga Erotics F: Shares many of the same mangaka with IKKI and has a similar style but F x Comics tend to be edgier.
    • Comic Beam: Ikki and MAF's competitor. Not as edgy as it's competitors but a little quirkier.
    • Bessatsu Shounen Magazine
    • Garo (no longer published): The "original" alternative magazine. Publishing gekiga, heta uma, and art manga from 1964 - 2002
    • AX: Garo's successor and premier modern art manga.
    Last edited by Kaiten; October 04, 2011 at 06:08 PM.

Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Bomber D Rufi's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Favorite Manga Magazines

I've been reading Young Ace and Shounen Ace quite a bit lately.

Deadman Wonderland
    Nichijou
    Baka to Test
    Tokyo ESP.
    (Though I did just marathon Mirai Nikki and found it awesome as well.)

And I'm reading Blood lad and Another in Young Ace. I also really like a few from Shounen Sirius, though a lot of them have ended. ^^;; I was reading Necromancer and Dekisokonai no Monogatari from there, And now I read Boku no ushiro Majou ga iru. In Young Magazine I read Kaiji and Coppelion, and of course I like Gangan for Soul Eater and Index.

How could I forget Bessatsu Mag? Although I'm only really reading Choujin Gakuen from there right now. Oh and from Young Jump, I'd like to read Nakayama (Traumeister) 's new series Nejimaki Kagyu. I still need furigana and stuff but I think I could wade through it.

If we can include series we'd like to read but are too broke to afford raws//not being scanned, I'd like to Read Run Day Burst which used to run in Gangan before being transferred online. There's also Bullet Armors that runs in Gessan Monthly Sunday.

I notice Jump SQ isn't included, so let me add the ones I'd like to read from there...Boku to Majou no Jikan, and Binbougami ga!
    Last edited by Bomber D Rufi; October 04, 2011 at 06:11 PM.
    Current projects
    Gintama (Weekly)
    Saike Once Again (Hiatus)
    Nejimaki Kagyuu (Ended)
    Kiriwoterrible (Weekly)
    Hitoribocchi no shinrakusha (Monthly)
    Majimoji Rurumo (Monthly)
    Tenshi-chan & Akuma-kun (Ended)

Requests Closed.
    requestsforrufi@gmail.com
    Read my writing here!
    http://alleycatcomics.pbworks.com/