Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 507 by Bomber D Rufi
Thread Closed
Page 51 of 134 FirstFirst ... 41 49 50 51 52 53 61 101 ... LastLast

Thread: The Movie Thread! - Continuation

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member HegemonKhan's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Movie Thread! - Continuation

ooo another really good old movie:

Duck Tails (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099472/)

----------------------

Just some movie trivia:

Titanic was the first time an American movie displayed the female "chest in full", as prior to Titanic, movies couldn't show this, but now thanks to Titanic the restriction of this is no more

And of course Titanic was the highest grossing movie until Avatar, and both movies were by the same guy/director, whatever.
    Last edited by HegemonKhan; October 21, 2011 at 01:10 AM.
    "The internet’s perfect for all manner of things, but productive discussion ain’t one of them. It provides scant room for debate and infinite opportunities for fruitless point-scoring: the heady combination of perceived anonymity, gestated responses, random heckling and a notional “live audience” quickly conspire to create a “perfect storm” of perpetual bickering." - Charlie Brooker

"I hold the wolf by the ears, I am in a dangerous situation and dare not let go" -an old saying in Latin

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つMOLLY༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member xi0's Avatar
    Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HegemonKhan View Post
    ooo another really good old movie:

Duck Tails (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099472/)

----------------------

Just some movie trivia:

Titanic was the first time an American movie displayed the female "chest in full", as prior to Titanic, movies couldn't show this, but now thanks to Titanic the restriction of this is no more

And of course Titanic was the highest grossing movie until Avatar, and both movies were by the same guy/director, whatever.
    I think you mean a PG-13 movie. There's plenty of examples of full nudity in movies prior to this

I think Titanic is overrated really. The special effects were great for the time, but overall I don't think it's a classic.

3. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe, but I thought it was illegal for movies (even rated R and maybe NC-17 too) to show a female's nipples prior to the Titanic, and the Titanic only got away with it, due to its nature/context of the entire film and of the scene. But, obviously since the Titanic, it's no longer illegal to show them. The private parts (males and females) obviously still remain illegal to show. I could be wrong about the female's nipple being illegal prior to the Titanic, though. (I'll see if I can research up on this)

-----------------

edit:

I couldn't exactly find anything on this sighs...

It does make sense that this was only concerning pg-13 movies, so I'm probably mistaken then about this.
    Last edited by HegemonKhan; October 21, 2011 at 10:13 PM.
    "The internet’s perfect for all manner of things, but productive discussion ain’t one of them. It provides scant room for debate and infinite opportunities for fruitless point-scoring: the heady combination of perceived anonymity, gestated responses, random heckling and a notional “live audience” quickly conspire to create a “perfect storm” of perpetual bickering." - Charlie Brooker

"I hold the wolf by the ears, I am in a dangerous situation and dare not let go" -an old saying in Latin

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe, but I thought it was illegal for movies (even rated R and maybe NC-17 too) to show a female's nipples prior to the Titanic, and the Titanic only got away with it, due to its nature/context of the entire film and of the scene. But, obviously since the Titanic, it's no longer illegal to show them. The private parts (males and females) obviously still remain illegal to show. I could be wrong about the female's nipple being illegal prior to the Titanic, though. (I'll see if I can research up on this)
    Ummm...maybe in certain countries with strict policies on stuff like that but there's been nudity in film for the last 50+ years.

6. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

ya, you're right, my bad everyone! Thank for correcting me, xi0. Again sorry for my mistake.

Titanic was the first time for full female chest nudity for *PG-13* movies, not rated R movies as I wrongly said priorly.

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

It was mentioned earlier in the thread, but Heat is a must-watch movie in my opinion. Great film, is long, but it doesn't feel like it drags ever. Just a great cast.

9. Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I saw 3 Musketeers, and I was disappointed. I was expecting/hoping it to be good, but it was just average, sighs...

I think my interest in American movies is nearly dead. Please let my Batman and Underworld be good !!!!

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

I saw 3 Musketeers, and I was disappointed. I was expecting/hoping it to be good, but it was just average, sighs...

I think my interest in American movies is nearly dead. Please let my Batman and Underworld be good !!!!
    Your interest in American movies (not an American movie really) is nearly dead because Paul WS Anderson made another meh movie? Seriously?

I don't know...when I saw the previews for it...17th Century France? Bullet-time? Seriously? I didn't really have any expectations for it and I wouldn't buy a ticket to see it.

12. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

laughs, nah that statement wasn't based solely on the 3 Musketeers, my bad though for making it seem like it was.

3 Musketeers was merely YET ANOTHER non-great American movie... which is added to the pile that makes up, my disappointment in American movies attitude.

(And, I'm way too spoiled by animes and mangas. Seriously, I get more excited when the next Naruto/Bleach anime episode comes out than a new American movie, and I'm always pleased with the anime episode, but nearly always so disappointed with the American movie... sighs...)

Light and Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member naruto-niichan's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by xi0 View Post
    I don't know...when I saw the previews for it...17th Century France? Bullet-time? Seriously? I didn't really have any expectations for it and I wouldn't buy a ticket to see it.
    I did watch it, it was as clear as day that the film wouldn't have much of a logic but at least it was entertaining my expectations for american movies are already low, I don't expect anything most of the time. Only really good films in the last few years were Inception and Batman: Dark Knight, rest was more or less average or way below.

@Hege I will go so mad if the next Batman turns out to be bad but I have faith in Nolan

MH's Most Awesome Staffer 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Ustegius's Avatar
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

You haven't watched many films then I guess. A lot of incredible films after Dark Knight. The Wrestler, Black Swan, District 9, Inglorious Bastards, King's Speech, The Fighter, Shutter Island, The Illusionist, Kick-Ass, Tree of Life.... Just a few to come to mind. I thought 2010 was damn strong a year in film.

16. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Light and Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member naruto-niichan's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ustegius View Post
    You haven't watched many films then I guess. A lot of incredible films after Dark Knight. The Wrestler, Black Swan, District 9, Inglorious Bastards, King's Speech, The Fighter, Shutter Island, The Illusionist, Kick-Ass, Tree of Life.... Just a few to come to mind. I thought 2010 was damn strong a year in film.
    well I really haven't watched that much, but I know a few from your list. District 9 wasn't that impressive from my point of view, Black Swan was good but still nothing that left me with a "wow". Shutter Island is more or less the same. Kick-Ass was just horrible...
    There are some films like "The Wrestler" or "Inglorious Bastards" I would like to watch though.
    Maybe I said it the wrong way, there were some good films but only very few who left me with an "amazing" impression.

Not sure about "Tree of Life", didn't receive it some kind of award? What's the film about?

Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Cannes Best Film. It is about life, universe an everything. It is an experience. I didn't personally like it that much, but visually impressive. And quite a good attempt to make a film about life. 2011: The Space Odyssey.

Kick-Ass just horrible?!?!? Did you watch the same film? Starts as a mainstream teenage comedy, changes into cruel reality, and then to dark violent yet hilarious action film. It worked awesomely for both action and comedy. I think it was very entertaining and really sucked the viewer in. Sure, not as masterfull as many other films on the list, but still worth mentioning.

District 9 is imo the best sci-fi film of the 00's. Probaply, might be I'm forgetting something.

Intl Translator MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted juUnior's Avatar
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ustegius
    Yeah, I remember being so psyched by Jurassic Park 1. Or not really, I were so young though then, that I got to see it only many years later. It was Jurassic Park 2 which really made me nuts. Even if I were already past my biggest dino boom.
    I remember when I was a kid and my father borrowed JP and we sat to watch it, and it started.. and I was so afraid by this one scene at the beginning that I ran to my room and didn't watch JP until I was older Shit xD

Quote Originally Posted by baboysai
    There's something about Titanic, though- there's a certain replayability to it. It has enough humor and bittersweet stuff and just the right family entertainment factor in it.
    And its going to be in 3D!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by xi0
    It was mentioned earlier in the thread, but Heat is a must-watch movie in my opinion. Great film, is long, but it doesn't feel like it drags ever. Just a great cast.
    And suspense, and climate, and.. well, the building of those 2 characters played by Robert de Niro and Al Pacino until they finally have a scene together.. priceless feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by naruto-niichan
    I did watch it, it was as clear as day that the film wouldn't have much of a logic but at least it was entertaining
    Yeah, if someone expected from this movie sth else then entertainment purpose was f*cked off - or in other words: doesn't know directors and didn't see trailers etc..... When I'm going for eg Resident Evil <series xd> I expect only some mindless stuff with nice visuals and zombie - no thinking allowed <3

btw. Ustegius, nice sig, and the movie is fantastic! Maybe some discussion because the ending was somewhat ambiguous for me <and frankly speaking I didn't even once googled about it>:
    Spoiler show
    ..:: I LoVe I's ::.. [Naruto] Share your thoughts on: Boobies

20. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Spoiler show

I really love that type of endings. Pan' Labyrinth, Memento, Inception, Fight Club. Black Swan in some sense, though it isn't really that mysterious. Have you seen El Orfanato? It isn't quite as good as the previously mentioned, but still imho worth a watch.

Thread Closed
Page 51 of 134 FirstFirst ... 41 49 50 51 52 53 61 101 ... LastLast