Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!

View Poll Results: Part I or Part II?

Voters
129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Part I

52 40.31%
  • Part II

23 17.83%
  • I like both parts

52 40.31%
  • I hate both parts

2 1.55%
New Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Part I vs Part II

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Weapon_X's Avatar
    Country
    England
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Part I vs Part II

Kishi's ideas ran out after Sasuke killed Itachi? You kidding me? That was a huge plot development for the whole Uchiha storyline. As soon as Kishi was writing Jiraiya v Pain fight, his ideas were straight. He knew this fight was going to be the catalyst for the Pain Invasion arc, Naruto's training and upgrades etc. And he knew the Sasuke and Itachi fight would be the catalyst for Sasuke's development(going into the dark side) and the Kage Summit arc.

I'd say he planned everything out preety well.
    ..: Greatest Doujutsu Prodigies :..

2. Thanks 6 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member kisame123's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I think part II is better, but the beginning arcs involving Rescue Gaara, Sasuke-Orochimaru were terrible, painfully boring. it might have been the desert scenery, umm I don't know. I didn't even want to read the manga at the time. things have changed for the better and the manga has been doing well consistently. I think things got a whole lot better after Sasuke vs. Itachi, as the volume sales immediately picked up. as for the story "sucking" or "incoherence", I think people are refusing to accept that the current arc right now has been building up since the first chapters. Sasuke was always meant to be the villain, it was always going to end up being this way. Sasuke was already too important to the story, it was obvious that Itachi wasn't going to be the end of Sasuke's importance. the secret of the Sharingan, its origins (Rinnegan), what really happened with the Uchiha massacre, eventually it was all going to be revealed. regardless of what people think of it here on these threads (and they are a minority), the Japanese audience seem to love it and that's what really matters.

the only problem is the lack of comedy in the story, part II seems to be too dark for me. there's just too much violence, genocide, bloodshed, and to make that worst, there's attempts towards justification depending on different views. I really hope the manga can take a u-turn and give us adventurous yet epic stories, like One Piece. I really think that is possible, considering the fact that there is about to be war and all.

however, I think this poll is going the wrong way, it's not whether Part I or Part II is better. I think the poll should be about Naruto the anime compared to Naruto Shippuden because that is usually what disappoints a lot of people. People will vote against Part II based on their thoughts on Shippuden the anime. most did not even read the manga before watching the anime and thus, part I seems better because the only recollection of thoughts they have are about the anime.

Shippuden, simply put, sucks in animation, coloring, drawing, music, on all fronts. it has been an epic failure, possibly the worse thing that could have ever happened to any manga that has been adapted to anime. I strongly believe that Shippuden is the culprit, the main reason why people are disappointed in Naruto because the anime goes hand-in-hand with the manga. if one of the two sucks, the other will be brought down with it.
    Last edited by kisame123; February 10, 2010 at 04:17 PM.

4. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member feisu-chan's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

i actually like both parts... Part I was a bit light, and the introduction of all characters were entertaining... Part II was deeper, and darker, and the story just became more, uhhh, mature *sorry for the lack of adjectives*... but i just can't help but miss the characters and the fun parts in part I... but i still voted for both...

6. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Warning, this may be long. If you wanna get to the point, just skip to the last paragraph.

I like Part I better simply because it had the things I enjoyed reading about. Mostly about Naruto's struggle to prove himself as well as his never-give-up personality combined with his stupid, comical side. I can with hundred percent certainty say I prefer Part II Sakura... the beginning of it anyway. Otherwise I preferred Part I.
    There was tons of challenges that Naruto had to overcome. Be recognized by his village, be hokage, and prove that he's a splendid ninja. His fights were some of my favorite to watch; fight of will and desire to win. I loved seeing him come out of nowhere and get the win, like he did in the fight against Neji; or find out what he was fighting for and have the will to fight to protect, like he did for Sakura against Gaara; or best yet, to fight to protect, like he did for Iruka. Some of the best parts for me was seeing Naruto say a big "fuck you" to doubters whenever he won, like when he beat Kiba. Outsmarting Zabuza made me fanboy over what he did. Back then, you actually thought Team 7 might lose, or they might have extreme difficulty. In fact, Naruto vs. Pain is the only fight in Part II that I can remember that was remotely difficult for Team 7. I kinda liked how he stabbed himself and vowed to never cower again, and when he proved his word. I also loled at him realizing that he was bleeding too much and panicking. Do and say before thinking... that was one of Naruto's charms, as well as how Luke Skywalker he was despite the shit he got as a kid. I was really Naruto FTW when he said strength came from fighting for others, not for one's self. Then seeing him get the strength to face Gaara and even beat him and even see him going on... that made me even get more hooked onto the manga. His story had the most emotion from me, especially when he told off Inari for saying he had the hardest. Kakashi's explanation to Inari made me even like Naruto more; he always kept looking ahead, never giving up or complaining. It's what let him beat Neji and so many others, planning ahead and never giving up. Naruto hooked me into this manga. His personality, the way he matured and began to mature. I don't think I can remember feeling like this for any character.
    Part II Naruto started off good enough. He matured a bit, and he improved, evident when he had his kunai knife pointed at Kakashi before he said "start". I was actually happy to see that his personality was still the same for his friend; being determined to rescue Gaara no matter what. It kinda made me sad when I read that jinchuuriki would die if bijuu was extracted, which made me =[ for Naruto. When I saw him rage at Gaara's death, I felt for him. After that, he began to get less appealing (4-tailed Kyuubi or training didn't interest me as much). His core personality looked to be the same until his fight with Pain. I actually liked how Gamakichi used ice cream flavors as a way to explain what Sage Mode did. xD I actually shed a tear or so when I saw Naruto's reaction to Jiraiya's death (as well as seeing Jiraiya's flashback as I thought he was too harsh on himself ). After a long time, I felt some emotion towards Naruto, even though a sad one, whereas it was constant in Part I. I kinda wish this fight with Pain didn't happen because it makes me feel like his entire personality and what he thought was overhauled, as I think Part I Naruto had the most chance of bringing peace, not the Naruto now.

Sasuke back then was pretty awesome. I was Sasuke FTW, as I guess most of us were. I mean, he was this genius who showed why he earned that title. When the Rain chuunin attacked Team 7 and Tazuna, I enjoyed seeing him stand against them and prove why he was a genius. I liked seeing his relationship with Naruto, and seeing it grow from hatred to friendship to brotherly love. It was sad, yet interesting to see Sasuke "sacrifice" his life for Naruto. His fight against Yoroi despite not being able to use Sharingan or fight the way he usually does still remains of my top favorite Sasuke fight because it showed how much of a genius he was. He showed he worked hard and he proved he was a genius, despite what people say. Naruto was one of my favorites for his personality and his cunningness, Sasuke was enjoyable because of his intelligence. The fact that even he could be defeated made it worth watching him fight. Who knew if he'd beat Gaara or not? Could he have made it past the preliminary stage despite the cursed seal? You were never sure. His personality changed, he wasn't one-track. At first, he wanted revenge and pushed himself to be stronger, using Naruto as a motivation. Then as he began to spend more time with Team 7, he began to care about them more and thought less about power and revenge. It was Orochimaru that made him want to seek out power. Sasuke vs. Naruto at Valley of the End would be one of my top favorite fights if it weren't for the flashback in my opinion.
    Part II Sasuke's first appearance wasn't so bad. It showed how much he improved and there was meaning for him to join Orochimaru. But after beating Orochimaru, he was basically beginning to get on my nerves with one-track mind: revenge. No matter who, just revenge. Revenge against Itachi, revenge against the Uchiha that helped him, revenge against Konoha, revenge against elders... it was pretty annoying. This could be me jumping on the bandwagon though, as I don't blame him for wanting revenge. But another reason why this annoyed me was because Naruto still kept chasing after him, which got tiring and annoying because Sasuke became a criminal.

Kakashi pretty much remains the same in Part I and Part II, except for being a better fighter. He's still cool. I preferred Itachi in Part I though (although downside was the very rare appearance), knowing that he could be the main villain that'd be nearly unbeatable; nothing compared to Orochimaru. I enjoyed seeing the way he talked, his intelligence and his skills. Calm, emotionless, detached, and extremely intelligent. He even took down Kakashi in a few minutes, something even Pain couldn't do. He established his legend, especially when Jiraiya knew about Itachi and Kisame.

Sakura.... Part II Sakura FTW. 'Nuff said. Though I liked seeing her mature during the Chuunin exam; from a girl being all coward and etc to a girl beginning to fight more headon. Lemme elaborate on Part II Sakura FTW. Part II at the beginning up to her punching Sai Sakura FTW.

So basically, what made me like Part I was the characters. Characters and the way they were, and the obstacles they had to overcome. Part II just doesn't feel the same as Part I, not as personal or emotional. Just my opinion though.

8. Thanks 4 Member(s) thanked this post
    MangaHelper MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Rikudou King's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Part I for the way the plot and how it kept me hooked, Part II for the possibilities that it held, Like the Jinchuuriki and the other villages. I suppose I like Part II better since I enjoy the other Jinchuuriki and Sasuke, But the plot and the way the characters are acting is annoying. It would be nice if there was some balance to things like there was in Part I.

10. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    Last Breath 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member 3c's Avatar
    Country
    Norway
    Post Thanks / Like

Shortly summarized; I liked part I because of the character's, the humour and the "feeling" it gave me. It was just lovely to read through Naruto's journey, and seeing him master Rasengan and become rather strong was GREAT. It had the feeling of watching a legend in the making.

I guess I like part II better when it comes to the story. Part I was great too, but I love darker stories, so part II fits me better with the dark feeling it gives away. I guess this is why I loved Pain so much also, as he brought reality and real threats to the table. I'm also a huge fan of seeing character's I've gone through a journey with grow up, alias I'm a huge fan of timeskips, and I absolutely LOVED Naruto's return although he didn't improve so much, Sakura's new personality and skills that were completely forgotten later on by Kishi, and Sasuke's new skills and looks. Seriously, Sasuke was my favorite character until after his fight with Itachi. I guess I went with the japanese fans on that ride, liking Sasuke more than Naruto as the popularity polls showed. But Sasuke after Itachi just died to me. I still like him, I don't hate him nor dislike him. But he's not one of my favorite character's anymore. I loved THIS and THIS Sasuke, not MS Sasuke. And well, Naruto has been rather pathetic lately, this is mostly why my lack of interest and faboyism has decreased for this manga. There's simply not a main character I love anymore. Naruto was pretty awesome against Pain, but that was completely forgotten afterwards. So now I'm stuck with a Sasuke I don't love anymore, aswell as a boring Naruto = not so good manga because of main characters not being awesome. The only main character that has been consistently awesome is Kakashi. Somehow he's able to keep his awesome-status even when he loses fights. He makes losing cool.

I also liked part II because of the potential it gave the character's. But like I've discussed in other threads before, the plot has simply dissapointed me. I though the whole Pain involvement was pretty great, it left impact on the manga and gave it a real plot and story. But Naruto's constant chasing after Sasuke just bores the hell out of me. Even now, in the very latest chapter that is out, Naruto is chasing Sasuke, or he's chasing Kakashi, but we all know who Kakashi is chasing; Sakura, whom is with Sasuke. The whole "chase Sasuke plot" bores me, and the majority of part II consists of this plot, hence why it bores me compared to part I, despite how in theory part II should be way more awesome than part I atleast in my eyes, as I usually love these kinds of stories. The sad part is, that this won't even be solved before the end of the manga, so there's really no light at the end of the tunnel unless Kishi manages to pull an incredible plot while holding onto the chasing Sasuke plot, which he so far has failed at, atleast for me.

Despite all of this, I still like part II though. Perhaps because I fell so in love with this manga in part I, that I just can't seem to shake of that love in part II despite how much part II has cheated on me. Love is sometimes blind you know, haha. So I'll go with "I like both parts". Although part II could have been SO much better than part I if it was done in another way.
    Last edited by 3c; February 14, 2010 at 06:55 AM.
    Don't. Be. A. Steph.

12. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member officefan73's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

i liked part 1 a lot, but i think the fights and story are a lot better in part 2. The one thing i really don't like about part 2 is that Kishi dosnt focus one some of the old characters. The rookies are barely mentioned, Ii finally had some hope for sakura after the whole sasori fight but lost that, and after Naruto was all bad ass and powerful after he beat pain but he slowly losing that awesome aura

Edit: After Naruto and sakura meet Sasuke again im really liking naruto now as for sakura i have lost allll hope haha

14. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Exodi's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I never really read the manga for Part 1, so my opinion of that is based on the anime:

I loved Part 1. The characters, the fights, the story. I got into Naruto fairly quickly. Although with Bleach, it was even quicker. I only started watching Naruto on my own after seeing a few episodes of the dub. Bleach, I watched on my own from the beginning. But....that's beyond the point.

Part 2 is wonderful, imo. I like it for the same reasons I like part 1: the characters, the fights, and the story. For me, there's nothing to really complain about. Maybe I'm easier to please...?

Without really getting into detail, I'd say I probably like part 2 more. I like development. And the story got more involved. The only thing I'd ask for is more from the other characters, especially Neji, Lee, etc. Then again, I don't care that much, because Kishimoto gave us this:

http://www.onemanga.com/Naruto/429/06-07/
    http://www.onemanga.com/Naruto/429/12-13/

But Part 1 is just as great.
    So actually....I like both equally.
    Last edited by Exodi; April 10, 2010 at 10:19 PM.

16. Thanks 5 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member feisu-chan's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

another thing commendable about Part II, or shippuuden anime is the music. I've read a post above that the music sucked, but I disagree... Yasuhara's compositions were superb! it fits the story line and made Part II even more, exciting... Part 2 took a huge shift from the theme of the first one. everybody else are growing up, a few had to go (which effing sucked!), but at over all, Kishi made it somehow, a bit realistic. He's not afraid to let a few great characters go (jiraiya!!! T_T)...

18. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Serbia
    Post Thanks / Like

I voted both

But IMHO, it's unfair to judge Part 2 before it's even finished. I believe the entire storyline has remained rather consistent throughout these years, and it's quite a fit writing your 1st manga (technically, 2nd) for more than 10 years and being so damn successful while doing it.

As for part 2, I don't think it's "full of plot holes". It's just that the storyline is revealing itself in a different way and we as readers need to be patient until everything is presented to us. I, for one thing, always complained about two things: Pain's revival of the entire village and the way Kisame died.
    Now, after seeing the revival of the bad guys (sickening, blasphemous, but still a revival) I can say "OK, that makes it even", and seeing Kisame not being actually dead, but a diabolical schemer, I've deffinitely learnt my lesson. "Don't judge. Wait and see. Then judge."

And, I agree. Music rocks! Especially the latest soundtrack.

20. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

[Warnin this may be long also, sorry]
    I have read the manga from the beginning, part 1 was good, naruto the character was funny. His and other character development was interesting to read.

Part II had good parts and some bad parts; it has better action, is bigger in some sense.
    Naruto seemed to want go and rescue Sasuke very much at the end of part 1; but apparently his determination was not enough in 2 years, there was hardly any growth. Naruto had a bigger growth in part 2 with Kakashi in a couple of days or hours than he had in 2 years with Jiraiya (who is one of the Sannin), this seemed inconsistent somehow.

Worst parts of part 2:
    1) Naruto's lack of growth, because of this I started disliking naruto the character as well Jiraiya. How badly Naruto was pawned by Sasuke, it was over kill on how bad Naruto was in comparison to Sakuke. This indicated that Jiraiya's training was not enough or Naruto's determination was not enough or both.

2) His new jutsu is harmful to his body? disappointed again.

3) Naruto chasing Sasuke, really really boring.

4) Too much revenge revenge from Sasuke.

5) Some inconsistancies in the manga story?

6) I have nothing against darker stories but Naruto's stupidity, in part 2, gets irritating.

7) Naruto fainted? really really disappointed how inconsistent this is. I could explain how this does not fit, but too much work.

8) Even after fighting Pain he is not strong enough to fight Sasuke? [inconsistent]

9) The most irritating part are the words 'that justu'; the mangaka seemed to be spamming those words? [inconsistent]

Good parts of part 2 were:

1) Naruto's training with Kakahsi and frogs.

2) I was happy when Jiraiya died, he was an irritating and disappointing character. He was like an adult version of the irritating 'stupid Naruto'.

3) Fight with Pain, was good but inconsistent to plot.

4) Introduction to the other Kages and the more details on the Akatuski.

There are other good and bad parts but these i could think of for the moment.
    I stopped watching the anime after the gaara fight. The fillers and animation are terrible.

I have to write that Naruto is still good, but in some ways (that is difficult to describe) I am disappointed in the Naruto the character and hence the manga. The manga shouldn't be called Naruto Shippuden it should be called the Sharingan Chronicles. The part 2 is only about the Sharingan (which the mangaka is spamming a lot), everything else is just added details.
    Last edited by kangclaw; April 20, 2010 at 03:51 AM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    New Zealand
    Post Thanks / Like

A few of the things I enjoyed about part 1, were the interactions between Sasuke & Naruto. Sasuke always putting him down, and Naruto competing for Sakura's affection set up subtle but affective gags. You always wanted Naruto to succeed. When he did do something special, like defeating Neji or Gaara, for some reason I actually felt proud of Naruto, which is unusual seeing as he is a fictional character, but I guess his very human imperfections made it really easy to sympathize with him. The character development of the rookies, was also enjoyable. They were all unique, with different personalities and jutsu, and I could see a little bit of myself in some of them. Whether it was being lazy like Shikamaru, Shy like Hinata or short tempered like Kiba, Id suggest all fans could relate in some way.

Part 2, although darker in tone, still follows many of the staple themes, like never giving up etc. But what I enjoy the most is seeing the characters grow. Disappointingly we are left to imagine with the rookies, however Naruto's struggles and victories have been just as enthralling to follow. Sakura against Sasori and healing Kankuro was epic and worth the wait. Many people have mentioned Pain, and I totally agree, along with Oroichimaru, the best villain so far for me. The irony of this self proclaimed god, being such a decrepit, and surprisingly human soul was a nice touch. It also paralleled the possibilities of what Naruto could have become, which he mentioned to Sasuke. Naruto's fight with Pain, was a culmination of everything Naruto had done since part 1, and again how could you not be happy for him.

I guess I could go on for ages, which looking at my post, might already have been the case, but In conclusion, there are reasons I read Naruto every week and discuss it. Put simply 'I enjoy it', and still do to this day. It is not without its imperfections, but its perfectly fine the way it is, IMO.

23. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

i like both parts
    and @ those who say part 1 is better i would say that the difference between part 1 & 2 is that part 1 is completed and two has lots to come so we will have to wait until part two completes and the question remains atleast for me is there going to be a part 3 i mean the naruto we have seen when naruto was reading jiraiyas book

I MEAN THIS

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member mp44chris's Avatar
    Country
    Greece
    Post Thanks / Like

I hate both parts. infact i hate naruto in general. i only read it because of the fights.
    Currently reading: One Piece, Fullmetal Alchemist, Naruto (once in a while) | Visit my Flickr Photostream

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Franckie's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ziraz View Post
    i like both parts
    and @ those who say part 1 is better i would say that the difference between part 1 & 2 is that part 1 is completed and two has lots to come so we will have to wait until part two completes and the question remains atleast for me is there going to be a part 3 i mean the naruto we have seen when naruto was reading jiraiyas book
    Part II has gone on for 250 chapters and its now end game for the manga. There's certainly more than enough material now for people to form their own opinions, which the vast majority of people already doing so. More importantly, the story reached a point a long time ago that people are unlikely to change their current opinions on the series. Personally speaking, there's nothing Kishimoto can do that will change my opinion that his plot-telling, specifically starting at the Valley of the Soap Opera End, has been complete and utter garbage.

New Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast