Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: WHAT HAS VIZ DONE!?!?!

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member glasskatana's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

WHAT HAS VIZ DONE!?!?!

I just realized something. Reading through viz volume 8 of FMA I noticed something strange. In the ORIGINAL artwork, Greed is chained to a cross as he is reunited with Hoho twin (father) and killed. In the Viz version THEY SCREW WITH ARAKAWA-SENSEI'S ART AND TURN THE CROSS INTO A SLAB OF ROCK! THEY DESTROYED THE ARTWORK AND THE SYMBOLISM AND I AM FREAKING PISSED!!!

I am not making this thread to bash viz. They're translation of the manga is pretty good, and until this point, I hadn't seen any censorship except for some language, but this is just too far.

This thread is officially the thread where you can point out mistakes in the VIZ translations, or alterations they have made to the manga. This is so people who do buy the manga from VIZ can also know what's really supposed to be happening.

And as a warning, if this thread ends up turning into a viz bashing thread, I will lock or delete it. This is purely for information and spreading the truth.

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted ibra87's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WHAT HAS VIZ DONE!?!?!

I know it seems like screwing with the art, but I guess that's pretty normal, since many people will feel offended. I don't know exactly if it's the people who read manga, but it's kinda like they did in the anime of Naruto with the cursed seal mark of the hyuuga. It was actually a Hitler mark, then they made it into an X. So nothing unusual (seems like Japanese people are more tolerant than other countires :S)
    Tiger, Tiger.

Let it be known far and wide
    I cheer for Saint-Etienne from the bottom of my heart

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Ayah's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess Viz was more concerned about conservative Christians knocking on their door compared to fans. About the Hyuuga curse seal, the swastika was originally Hindu/Buddhist/Jain in origin hence the Japanese being more tolerant with it. It's just that majority of Westerners became familiar with it thanks to the Nazis so the association became negative.

<3 glasskatana for the sig
    Tayo na sa Sineskwela Pinoy Hangout Thread v.16!

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ayah
    I guess Viz was more concerned about conservative Christians knocking on their door compared to fans. About the Hyuuga curse seal, the swastika was originally Hindu/Buddhist/Jain in origin hence the Japanese being more tolerant with it. It's just that majority of Westerners became familiar with it thanks to the Nazis so the association became negative.
    yeah, but even for christians the cross isn't a negative sign like a swaztika. I just don't get how they could be that...afraid.

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    yeah, but even for christians the cross isn't a negative sign like a swaztika. I just don't get how they could be that...afraid.
    Blasphemy, my dear glasskatana.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Blasphemy, my dear glasskatana.
    Truly? How do you know I'm Christian? And for that matter, if it is a negative symbol...than why is it everywhere?

igh. Also, in volume...I think 1, they have a mistranslation where they say that Ed's watch is gold instead of silver.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member white silver's Avatar
    In an island at the center of the Atlantic Ocean.
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

[b][font=verdana][color=green][size=1]Sakura is wearing longer slacks (covering the knees)in the viz manga compared to the anime/orginal manga where she wears shorts (Below knee level). Some of the translations were an error like what njt said. "The Kyubi DIED........" <--- something like that. Anything else?

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glasskatana
    Truly? How do you know I'm Christian? And for that matter, if it is a negative symbol...than why is it everywhere?

igh. Also, in volume...I think 1, they have a mistranslation where they say that Ed's watch is gold instead of silver.
    I think you misunderstood me. What I meant was that some Christians may be offended because the cross is sacred to Christianity and then Arakawa treated it like that. It's definitely not a negative symbol. Where did you get that notion anyway?

BTW, I am a Chrsitian. I never said anything about you being one. (Are you?) Do you think Viz can tell how many percent of their readers are Christian? Oh, and I'm not offended with Arakawa's usage of the cross. Her primary target audience are the Japanese people, who are predominantly not Christian.

About the silver to gold mistranslation, I wonder if kanji was used to write silver in the original. If I am not mistaken, the kanji for gold and silver are very similar.

Quote Originally Posted by kunai jutsu
    [b][font=verdana][color=green][size=1]Sakura is wearing longer slacks (covering the knees)in the viz manga compared to the anime/orginal manga where she wears shorts (Below knee level). Some of the translations were an error like what njt said. "The Kyubi DIED........" <--- something like that. Anything else?
    Err... kunai jutsu, I don't know if these are on-topic considering that it's inside the Full Metal Alchemist section

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

For whatever reason, crucifixation scenes are a sensitive point with certain Christian groups, probably because it's how Jesus died and the imagery is considered very holy. But I do think that people are being too anal about it being censored because why would we want to forget how Jesus died, anyway? Why would we want to censor that? I'm not sure - but I suppose Viz just felt like it would have resulted into a lot of backlash from parents ( since manga are still considered kids' stuff here ). I suppose people would feel like it'd cheapen Jesus' sacrifice or something if the cross was used all the time in stories. I hate when they screw with the original artwork, too, though.

Usuaully it's the anime that does that. They did it with Inari's father in Naruto when he was tied to a cross (in the manga), they changed it to a post. They did it with OP, with Dracule's sword. Oh well, at least FMA isn't the only story being changed, anyway... if that's any consolation.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member white silver's Avatar
    In an island at the center of the Atlantic Ocean.
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Err... kunai jutsu, I don't know if these are on-topic considering that it's inside the Full Metal Alchemist section
    [b][font=verdana][color=green][size=1]This is what he said!

Quote Originally Posted by glasskatana

This thread is officially the thread where you can point out mistakes in the VIZ translations, or alterations they have made to the manga. This is so people who do buy the manga from VIZ can also know what's really supposed to be happening.
    [b][font=verdana][color=green][size=1]No mention of FMA Viz Mangas "only". And besides, it's quite natural he'd put the thread in the FMA section (he's a moderator in that section and he can have full control over it if I'm not mistaken)

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

@ kunai jutsu

You could have at least said that you're talking about Naruto in the beginning. For a moment, I was wondering where in FMA was there a character named Sakura. Let's leave this as is and let GKjr decide what to do.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

@ kunai jutsu

You could have at least said that you're talking about Naruto in the beginning. For a moment, I was wondering where in FMA was there a character named Sakura. Let's leave this as is and let GKjr decide what to do.
    I'll work on it when I get to a comp at school. I have yet to read over the posts. Gotta run, my carpool is gonna be here any minute.

Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Israel
    Post Thanks / Like

By the way, Swastica like they use in shinto and hindo and all of those are the opposite of the swastica of hitler, and means longitivity, the nazis swastica was created to form SS. It's stupid to cenzore it, and it was probably cenzored in Tenjou tenge too which is being cenzored really badly by DMC.
    By the way, most of the offical groups cenzore and do mistakes, maybe dark horse not, but even DLray do, but when they do, they fix it and do V2 (see what happened with Air Gear vol 1)
    And a cross is a bad and holy symbol in the same time, jesus crist is a saying about something bad usually, but the christians are called after the crist, although in hebrew and the original name was nazarians, meaning from nazarat, where Jesus grew.
    Although it's the thing that made the christians, and is a main symbol and all, it's still offending to use it on a sin (none the less!)

MH's Socialworker 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member eni's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ibra87
    but it's kinda like they did in the anime of Naruto with the cursed seal mark of the hyuuga. It was actually a Hitler mark, then they made it into an X. So nothing unusual (seems like Japanese people are more tolerant than other countires :S)
    Lika Ayah said this symbol is very old. Much older then the nazis. It was called a sun wheel in ancient germany and you can still see it on much japanese temple. But the symbol on Nejis forehead was also made in an "X" in the JAPANESE anime! Only the japanese manga has it as a swastika.

Also look over to Blade of the Immortal manga. The main char is called "manji" which is the name for the japanese swastika and he wears the symbol on his back. DarkHorse Manga had no problem with it at all. Every chapters contains a little text where the meaning is explaint.
    Buuuuut the german BotI manga has this symbol edited through the WHOLE manga - from a manji to a cross.

See original:
    Spoiler show

and german version:
    Spoiler show

//edit
    correct wormy, the buddist one is mirrored compared to the european one

♥ Sorry, I'm Late. But I Got Lost On The Road Of Life. ♥

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you misunderstood me. What I meant was that some Christians may be offended because the cross is sacred to Christianity and then Arakawa treated it like that. It's definitely not a negative symbol. Where did you get that notion anyway?
    I know it's not negative. I was just making a response because you called me a blasphemer. Wouldn't really be blasphemy if I wasn't Christian. And I don't profess to be any religion on the internet, though I do in real life. And you're right I think the romanization of gold and silver in japanese is gin and kin so they are similar. You'd have to ask a translator.

As for Kunai jutsu, you should mention the manga you're talking about before you talk about the Viz censorship. This thread is primarily for censorship or mistakes that have occurred in the FMA manga (thus why it is in the FMA section) but it's perfectly fine if you want to mention other manga as long as you try and relate it to the original post. For instance Gold Knight talked about censorship of the cross in other anime/manga so it related to the censorship of the cross that I posted about. Understood? Great.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast