Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Youkai Thread

Celestial Belgian 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Koen's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

The Youkai Thread

Yes, this the youkai Thread. Many youkai have been shown in the manga. Discuss about these youkais. We haven't discussed about their history, about their unshown strength, about their role in a hyakki yako, are there certain ancient histories being used in this story and many other things

Discuss everything youkai related over here
    The biggest virtue is to support these Seven Deadly Sins in their fight!!!
    Read Nanatsu no Taizai

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Sama_al_Azraq's Avatar
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Youkai Thread

Can I make a list of the youkai that appear in the manga and post it to this thread? Not really a discussion though, but there's a lot of youkai appeared in the manga and I though wouldn't it be better if there is a list of them?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Koshi_Inaba's Avatar
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sama_al_Azraq View Post
    Can I make a list of the youkai that appear in the manga and post it to this thread? Not really a discussion though, but there's a lot of youkai appeared in the manga and I though wouldn't it be better if there is a list of them?
    I think that would be a great idea

SQUEE x 9000 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

That would be a great idea! Links to wiki articles or other info would be great too! I don't know much about Japanese mythology, some more information would be great

Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Please give me suggestion and correction about the list.

Spoiler: Nura clan show

Spoiler: Shikoku show

Spoiler: Toono show

Spoiler: Kyoto show

Spoiler: Hyakku Monogatari clan show

Spoiler: Other show

Spoiler: ??? (need more data to verify) show
    Last edited by Sama_al_Azraq; September 19, 2011 at 02:47 PM.

6. Thanks 31 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Drmke's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Please give me suggestion and correction about the list. I wonder should I also attached pictures of the youkai or not?
    If you could add pictures that would be amazing but either way, this is a great list and thanks for the hard work!

OCCUPY THE WORLD

I got by Kaiten.
    <%M3J> Though I wouldn't mind Sari dominating me.

Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Added pictures and corrected some explanations. I'll appreciate every help to make the list more complete.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey, I new to the forums and I would just like to say that this is an awesome thread.
    I've always wondered about a lot of the Youkai in NnM and this was a big help!
    Thanks a lot for the info

But I was hoping you could give me a link to that picture you have of Yosuzume, I've never seen that picture before and it looks cool
    Thanks again!

Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

From vol 6 of the manga, the page between chapter 49 and 50.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Found it!
    Thanks a bunch!!

If your ever willing to share any other information about Youkai, not necessarily from Nurarihyon no Mago, I would love to hear it

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Wolfshadow's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

What chapter did Dodomeki show up in, assuming that picture is from Mago?

FreeRice.com is a fun, if a bit brainy, game that has you earn rice for starving people through the United Nations World Food Program. Its fun and it really helps, so give it a try, okay?

Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

She didn't actually show up in a chapter, it's in ch 32 color spread (bottom left corner). Should I delete her from the list? Because there's also Katawa-guruma and Nyou'ijizai in the page but I don't include them. And they have small chance to really appear in the manga...

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Akashi-Mugomadou's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

This thread is actually the reason I have joined mangahelpers. It's so great to see other people who are interested in Youkai 8D
    I have been studying Youkai academically for five years in a limited capacity, and my Japanese is not yet quite good enough to completely understand some research material. For this reason, I absolutely love your list, Sama_al_Azraq. I assume (and please correct me if I'm wrong) that you are getting information on some of the stranger Youkai from the Japanese wikipedia articles for them. Would you be willing to give me more information on the Shoukera?

I enjoy most Youkai, but my favorites are the weirder ones. It's really great how Shiibashi-sensei mixes in well-known Youkai with more obscure ones. So far, I really like how he has depicted Gashadokuro. I also found his portrayal of Tsuchigumo to be very interesting and fucking fun to read. Also, if anyone has any information on Minagoroshijizou, I'd love to see it. I can't tell if he's an invention of the author or a real Youkai, as I've never been able to find any information on him.

Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome aboard.
    You're right, majority of the information is from wiki.

Shoukera (しょうけら, 精螻蛄)
    Because there's no explanation in Hyakkaizukan or Gazihyakkiyakou, it's based on conjecture. Shoukera is mentioned in a folk religion, Koushin faith. The Koushin-machi event is where people stay awake all night at Koushin night. It's believed that in Koushin night, Sanshi worms that live inside human's body will ascend to Heaven and report about the human's sin. So they stay awake so the worms won't come out of their body. If someone slept at the night, to evade harm they should chant an incantation where Shoukera name is mentioned. In here, Shoukera is seen as a youkai that do harm to human at Koushin night.
    In a document written at Ganroku era, "Koushinden", Shoukera refers to Sanshi worms, or to personification of Sanshi, drawn with one of the Sanshi, the beast-shaped Sanshi, as the model.
    In Gazuhyakkiyakou, Shoukera drawn as watching from the house roof's skylight the situation inside the house. Since then, in documents concerning youkai at Shouwa and Heisei era, Shoukera is explained as a youkai that monitoring the human if they abide by the rule or not in Koushin-machi night. And he will punish human who break the rule.

My favorite youkai is Nattou-kozou and Toufu-kozou. I also like Sune-kosuri and the frog youkai (don't know the name).
    I think Minagoroshi Jizou is Shiibashi's original, can't find any reference of him.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Akashi-Mugomadou's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, thanks! That really helped me alot. It's interesting how Shoukera was brought over from a very specific faith and still included in Toriyama's guidebooks.

I think when I study abroad in Japan, I'll do some looking around for information about Minagoroshi Jizou. The rescources will be better there.

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast