Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 595 by BadKarma
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23

Thread: Ace death - is he indeed dead or...

  1. #1
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    sArrr!land
    Country
    Germany
    Age
    27
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    534
    Post Thanks / Like

    WSJ Pirate Ace death - is he indeed dead or...

    Seeing that nobody opened a thread for this topic I though I should do this. Especially seeing that it's quite controversial.

    Does Ace survive or is he really dead? Did he hit the bucket or does he life on to tell the story of is "almost death"?
    This is the place to discuss that kind of questions but not only can you tell your reasonings why he should life or should die you can also predict future events that could follow his death for example.

    Additionally I saw that some people have a bet. They are betting if he is dead for real or if he comes back somehow. The loser will make a picture of Luffy there avatar for two weeks.
    Anybody that wants to participate: feel free to do so. I'm joining and I'm saying that he is indeed dead.

    In the begining I thought that I could start a fun-topic about Ace death with funny reasons why he does survive (the funny is that I wrote that in the prediction thread and one of my examples was a Aizenspoof with Akainu hitting Sengoku instead of Ace and coincidentially someone made a pig with Akainu hitting Sengoku. Most probably without reading my post).


    I won't start with my reasoning just because I already wrote to much. Feel free to discuss everything and now get started

    The panda-bears rocking all over the world!

  2. #2
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Country
    Germany
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    114
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Ace death - is he indeed dead or...

    the reason why nobody opened such a thread is because this question will be answered in the next chapter, so it doesn't make much sense. Everybody discusses this in the prediction thread.

  3. #3
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    sArrr!land
    Country
    Germany
    Age
    27
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    534
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Ace death - is he indeed dead or...

    That's actually the reason why I opened it. Now or never. If it's confirmed we could change the threadtitle into something like "how he could have survived" and go the fun-topic-way if there is a need to .

    Furthermore this thread is also meant to discuss the possible impact of his death. The predictionthread won't be opened forever. Additionally Ace death (yeah I'm a believer) is something that big that it deserves a thread.

    The panda-bears rocking all over the world!

  4. #4
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Estonia
    Country
    Estonia
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    482
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Ace death - is he indeed dead or...

    He is dead.
    One Piece needs a major character to die in the current storyline. It can't keep going on with everyone magically surviving all the time (See Pell & Zoro). If Ace revives in the next chapter, I will be mad at Oda for doing that.
    Right now I am praising him for killing off Ace and making Luffy go apeshit hopefully.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels it finds darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." - "Reaper Man" by Terry Pratchett

  5. #5
    Reviewer 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member LoneLobo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Country
    Germany
    Age
    27
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    100
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Ace death - is he indeed dead or...

    Well, I'm just quoting from my review as I think it sums up my opinion pretty good.^^

    Quote Quote:
    Oda killing a character for real? And not in a flashback? What? Yes, you ‘re right. All the time we were complaining that Oda never kills of (important) characters except for flashbacks. Like Peruh (you know, the falcon guy). This let us to believe that he would never go out of his way. Well, he did this time. And I think this was a brilliant move, making something most (if not all) would not expect to happen. First giving us lots of hints that Whitebeard will die. Then Ace gets free. And then he goes out of his way and kills him? Whoa! This was one great move. I think he saved the moment to kill a character for real in a moment he thought he really wanted it to happen.
    Count of One Piece Reviews: 38
    Latest One Piece Review: 658

    Expect reviews when the chapter deserves it!

    Other Reviews: Fairy Tail 223 | HxH 311, 319-320

    Interview featuring... ME =P (check it out )

  6. #6
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member modoki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Hatagaya Shibuya-ku
    Country
    Japan
    Age
    29
    Posts
    238
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Ace death - is he indeed dead or...

    Ace is dead. regardless of his youth, he is still to me considered part of the old generation. The moment he was defeated by Blackbeard, I lost all faith in ace.

    Ace has his time to shine already, give the spotlight to someone else.

    Like dragonballz ( gohan/cell), It seems Luffy needs a big push to awaken or unleash his full potential of Hakushou. Loosing someone he once grew up with and later dying in their hands will do it.

  7. #7
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    43
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Ace death - is he indeed dead or...

    it is all a dream...luffy is in a dream state still stuck in impel down after being seriously poisoned by magellan....he will soon die and one piece shall end.


    but on a more serious note , i think we will find out for sure in 6 more days.

  8. #8
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Immo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Country
    Poland
    Age
    25
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    78
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Ace death - is he indeed dead or...

    Ace got most of his internal organs burned and have big hole in chest in place where heart and aorta is. His vivre card burned aswell. Whole chapter was about Ace dying. After all of that he cant be alive. Its like eating pizza whole chapter, talking about how delicious it was, and in next chapter you see same pizza again.

  9. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
  10. #9
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted KnuckleheadedNinja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    IN A MERCILESS STATE OF OBLIVION.
    Country
    Nigeria
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,574
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Ace death - is he indeed dead or...


    CAN WE PLEASE HAVE A MOMENT OF SILENCE? CAN WE PLEASE POUR SOME LIQUOR?

    MUSIC
    R.I.P PORTGAS D. ACE.


    HE WAS ONE HELL OF A CHARACTER.

    "Too much hope is the opposite of despair... an overpowering love may consume you in the end."

  11. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
  12. #10
    MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Posts
    18,780
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Ace death - is he indeed dead or...

    DON"T WASTE LIQUOR! It is more important than an actual human life. Ace died because he was a reckless arrogant asshole who refused to listen to superiors. Had he ever listened what his captain told him he would not have been captured by the marines or impaled by akainu. Glad he died, luffy brings more than enough reckless, impulsive, stupid and arrogant stunts as it is. Ace was hardly necessary as things stand.

  13. #11
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity mugen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    where the dudes wear skinny jeans.
    Country
    Mexico
    Age
    24
    Posts
    2,731
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Ace death - is he indeed dead or...

    Ace was worth shit the moment he got beat by BB. he sorta reminds me of pain, he could have been awesome but was fucked by the author. i lost all faith in one piece after this arc, wtf oars doesn't die after that but Ace does. Oda you fucked up. no one is even going to buy those volumes now in America because of this. Was there really a need or a push? i mean that was the fuckin point of the shabody arc, right? Luffy's crew getting split was going to make him stronger, right? Ace's death was unnecessary, especially now that whitebeaard is going to die too. I just hope BB gets his power raised to the 100th degree or whatever and gets beat by Luffy. If one piece is anything like code geass or death note, it will shut up those fans who think BB will be the final boss because teh story leads up to it. I'm done.
    click to join mangahelpers facebook group

  14. #12
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Poneglyph420's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Vancity
    Country
    Canada
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,297
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Ace death - is he indeed dead or...

    Ace was from his first meeting early on one of my favorite characters. To me Ace was essential to Luffy's development and growth. In so many ways he showed us what was in store for the future. For sure once he was beaten by BB, His fall all fueled by hubris was sealed. No doubt he Fu@ked up bad. But all in all he was a hero and martyr. Luffy has also been a reckless arrogant asshole, so Ace's death is indeed pivotal to Luffy truly having what it takes to endure the NW.

    But while I won't be pouring out my 1979 vintage cognac...
    Cheers to a Legend.
    RIP Ace


    It's on. Like Donkey Kong

  15. #13
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member bittman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Country
    Australia
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,727
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Ace death - is he indeed dead or...

    Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    DON"T WASTE LIQUOR! It is more important than an actual human life.
    I'm hearing ya good buddy!

    Quote Originally Posted by mugen View Post
    Ace was worth shit the moment he got beat by BB. he sorta reminds me of pain, he could have been awesome but was fucked by the author. i lost all faith in one piece after this arc, wtf oars doesn't die after that but Ace does. Oda you fucked up. no one is even going to buy those volumes now in America because of this. Was there really a need or a push? i mean that was the fuckin point of the shabody arc, right? Luffy's crew getting split was going to make him stronger, right? Ace's death was unnecessary, especially now that whitebeaard is going to die too. I just hope BB gets his power raised to the 100th degree or whatever and gets beat by Luffy. If one piece is anything like code geass or death note, it will shut up those fans who think BB will be the final boss because teh story leads up to it. I'm done.
    So...you hate Ace, but your quitting because he died. Lovely rant, but a lot of what I just read was "Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!"

    If Oda made every awesome character shine, we'd have to spend 3 fucking chapters on every fucking battle. Bleach already sets a precedence for this sort of rubbish. A character's fanbase should not influence their overall standing in the manga. Take, for example, Negima where a gymnast by the name of "Maki" got HUGE popularity. Despite the fact that they then added her into more of the manga, she still has the role she was going to originally have: "background".

    I could name you a hundred characters who are awesome but got shafted. Sometimes the reason awesome characters exist, is to be shafted. Of course, it can become overkill at times.

    I have no qualm with Oda not appeasing to the "masses". He's a writer, not a mindless teenage fan...and he probably already has all the bling he needs, so he wouldn't care if this hurt american sales...which it won't.

    Sorry readers: taking a break from my One Piece reviews. Though I love doing them, One Piece Reviews are actually not near the top of my to-do list. Perhaps one day I'll return and do them properly.


    Spoiler: My one current One Piece prediction show

  16. #14
    MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Posts
    18,780
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Ace death - is he indeed dead or...

    Quote Originally Posted by mugen View Post
    Ace was worth shit the moment he got beat by BB. he sorta reminds me of pain, he could have been awesome but was fucked by the author. i lost all faith in one piece after this arc, wtf oars doesn't die after that but Ace does. Oda you fucked up. no one is even going to buy those volumes now in America because of this. Was there really a need or a push? i mean that was the fuckin point of the shabody arc, right? Luffy's crew getting split was going to make him stronger, right? Ace's death was unnecessary, especially now that whitebeaard is going to die too. I just hope BB gets his power raised to the 100th degree or whatever and gets beat by Luffy. If one piece is anything like code geass or death note, it will shut up those fans who think BB will be the final boss because teh story leads up to it. I'm done.
    While ace was not my favorite character (he was cool as hell yet useless) I do disagree with that part. BB is a wildcard and quite frankly his actual power could be within any range. He seems familiar with haki, has a DF which is impossible to avoid (gravity) and his smarts are quite more than what would be expected from someone who looks so much like a drunken hobo. He even managed to hurt and survive a fight against shanks who is supposed to be equal to WB in strength. BB is a lot stronger than what meets the eye and him defeating ace made sense.

  17. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
  18. #15
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Fox666's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Country
    Brazil
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,099
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Ace death - is he indeed dead or...

    Some time has passed since Ace stopped breathing, so his body meat already started decomposition. If Kuma resurrects Ace now he would be a zombie with brain injure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Immo View Post
    Ace got most of his internal organs burned and have big hole in chest in place where heart and aorta is. His vivre card burned aswell. Whole chapter was about Ace dying. After all of that he cant be alive. Its like eating pizza whole chapter, talking about how delicious it was, and in next chapter you see same pizza again.
    Quote Originally Posted by bittman View Post
    I could name you a hundred characters who are awesome but got shafted. Sometimes the reason awesome characters exist, is to be shafted. Of course, it can become overkill at times.
    loool
    Quote Originally Posted by IChallengeYou! View Post
    TOBI IS OBITO

    did you say something about timelines?! naruto ate it NOM NOM NOM IT'S GONE.

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts