* Yuki-onna : Snow woman.
- Tsurara, Setsura and Reira.
* Aotabou : Probably from Ao-bouzu. A monk wearing blue. Sometimes depicted as entering empty house, kidnapper or neck-hanger.
* Kurotabou : Probably from Kuro-bouzu. A youkai that comes to woman's room when she sleeps and sucking her breath or licking her mouth. A black monk looking blurry in human's eyes.
* Kappa : Have webbed hands and feet, put a plate that always wet above his head. There's 2 type : humanoid/monkey-like and tortoise-like. Love cucumber, fish, fruits and shirikotama. The cucumber part is because kappa associated to water god, and the offering to water god is cucumber.
* Nukekubi : Youkai with head detached from it's body.
* Ohagurobettari : Faceless woman with blackened teeth. In Edo period, married woman have make up by blackening their teeth.
* Yamachichi : It's said that bat after years turns into nubusuma, then after years turns into Yamachichi. Ape-like with pointy mouth. Kissing a person while they sleep and suck their breath. The victim will die the next day. But if someone see when the breath sucked, the sucked person live will be prolonged.
* Amikiri : A youkai with shrimp body and crab-like scissor-hands
* Hone karakasa : A tsukumogami of an old umbrella that have it's cloth torn up and it's frame sticking out.
* Hatahiro : Loom weaved cloth that turned into snake shaped youkai. There's a woman that felt grudge over her husband that never comes home. The cloth that she weaves confined with the grudge and take a shape of snake to look for the husband.
* Tenjou-kudari : An ugly old woman that hanged upside down in the ceiling.
* Gyuuki : A youkai with horned, bovine head
- Gyuuki, Gozumaru, Mezumaru, Negoro, Uwajima
* Mokugyo Daruma : A tsukumogami of a mokugyo that changed into dharma form. Youkai created from combining the theme of sleepless. Mokugyo is a tool to remind the monks to meditate without sleep and rest (fish always open it's eyes day and night). While Dharma meditated for 9 years without sleep.
* Zen : Originally from China. Recorded on ancient texts like Shiji. A bird with deadly poison. It's as big as a hawk, have green feather and copper-colored beak. Have poisonous snake as it's diet.
* Hihi : Originally from China, taken from Sancai Tuhui. In a form of large ape. Live in the mountain, have brute strength, and likes to kidnap woman. When it meet human it will laugh, hence the name. About 3 meters tall, it's body covered by black hairy fur. Can understand human language and able to predict human's lifespan.
- Hihi, Shou'ei
* Soroban-bou : A youkai that startle people by sounds of abacus, but when approached the sounds gone and comes out from another direction.
* Oomukade : Giant centipede. There's a legend of the duel between giant centipede of Mt. Nantai and giant snake of Mt. Akagi. Snake symbolize river and represents people that gathering iron sands and producing iron, while centipede symbolize mine trail and represents people that mining ore such as native gold.
* Asajigahara no Kijo : An old woman and her daughter. From Hanakawado, Taito city, Tokyo. In Youmei emperor's time, Asajigahara is the only road that connects Oushuu and Shimousa. It was a wasteland and there's no place to rest, except a house. The grandmother pretended to let travelers rest, but when they sleep, she hit their head with the stone pillow, throw the bodies at the pond nearby and lived with the stolen money. Killed 999 travelers until stopped by Asakusa Kannon Bossatsu.
* Mottainai Obake : A ghost appear in a tv commercial made by Advertising Council Japan. If someone do something that wasteful, Mottainai Obake will appear at his pillow and preach him. There's some versions whether the soul will taken, eaten or only preached according to the area the commercial broadcasted.
* Kyourinrin : Tsukumogami from Shubin's magical scroll that thrown away after his defeat against Kukai at rain-calling ceremony.
* Jorougumo (?) : A 400 years old spider turned into youkai and can change into seductive woman.
* Hito Ookami (?) : Lycanthrope. Have a long mane-like hair.
* Gagoze : A youkai that appeared at Gangouji temple. A corpse of the temple's servant that turned into youkai and killed children every night.
* Nekomata : 100 years old cat turned into youkai. It's tail forked into two. The forked tail comes later at Edo period though, because the word's origin is from nekomata cursed human by stradling the human.
- Ryoutaneko, Saburouneko
* Oitekebori : Originally it's a youkai that tells fisherman to leave the catched fish, but it developed into youkai that asks for interesting thing to replace the old thing it gets bored to.
* Anta & Yomekko : A crow-like youkai and his 3-eyed wife.
* Inugamigyoubu : Leader of 808 tanuki. Try to take over Matsuyama castle but failed. Defeated and sealed by Budayuu using Sanmoto Gorouzaemon's hammer.
- Inugamigyoubu, Tamazuki
* Inugami : Shikoku is the home for this practice. It's said that Inugami can be made by either cut a hungry dog's head and burry it in the middle of the street so people trample on it so it's gruge increased and more effective as curse tool; another method is by bury it except the head, connect it to a pole and put food in front of it, when it's starved to death, cut it's neck so the head jump into the food, burn it and put it inside a container; and another method is by putting fierce dogs to fight, give a fish to the last dog alive and cut it's neck, then eat the fish remaining. Family that have inugami have tendency of possessed by the inugami.
* Yosuzume : From Kouchi and Ehime prefecture. A sparrow youkai that appears at night. Causes nyctalopia to traveller.
* Inuhouou/Basan : A bird youkai with red crista galli that can breath red fire. The fire don't give heat and don't burn. Live in the forest deep inside the mountain. Rarely shown itself in front of human. Modelled from Cassowary. Harmless youkai.
* Tearai-oni : A variant of Daidarabocchi. A giant that straddle at the mountains of Shikoku that separated by sea to wash his hand.
* Gan'gi-kozou : A variant of Kappa at Ootsu and Abu district, Yamaguchi prefecture. A youkai that catches fish by the riverside with it's emery-like teeth.
* Sodemogi-sama : The roadside god of Chuukoku and Shikoku's folk religion. When you fall in front of it, torn a sleeve and give it to Sodemogi-sama if you don't want to meet a disaster. Also said as a custom of praying for travel's safety by tearing sleeve and have it as offerings.
* Hari-onna : From Uwajima, Ehime prefecture. A woman youkai with extremely long hair tipped with thorn-like barbs. It will smile to man, and if the man smiled back, she'll catch him with her hair and bring him away.
* Muchi : A variant of Kamaitachi. From Kuroiwa, Takaoka district, Kouchi prefecture, wind that blows like whip, and causes disease if hit.
* Ko-bouzu : The name for Akashaguma at Kihoku and Uwajima, Ehime prefecture. Shikoku youkai that looks like red-haired kids, stay in people's house. And similar to Zashiki-warashi, also give fortune to the residents and the house will decline when it leave.
* Mamedanuki : A tanuki youkai that uses it's scrotum to play tricks on people.
* Kamaitachi : A weasel youkai. Riding the dust devil, it cuts human using it's sickle-like claws. It cause a sharp wound but give no pain. The weasel appearance started from Toriyama Sekien's Gazuhyakkiyakou.
* Amanojaku : The ancient version is from about Amenowakahiko or Amanosagume. Amenowakahiko ordered by Amaterasu to subjugate Ashihara no Nakatsukuni (Japan). But Amenowakahiko neglected the order and wed Ookuninushi's daughter. After 8 years passed, Sagina Meijo sent to inspect him. Amanosagume that serves under Amenowakahiko told him to shot Sagina Meijo to death. But the arrow reflected back and killed Amenowakahiko too. The deeds against the will of heaven give the Amanojaku name. Buddha's influence later depicted it as symbol of kleśā, because Bishamon statue have oni face on his armor and he stepped on oni, Kahaku a water demon. There's another water demon in China called Kaijaku, it then read as Amanojaku and combined with former Amanojaku into one. Amanosagume said to have the power to read weather movement, the future and people's heart. This later contributes to the change to small oni that read human's mind and playing pranks by doing the opposite.
* Numagappa : Swamp kappa.
* Futtachi : From Aomori and Iwate prefecture. Animals like ape, chicken, fish that have aged greatly more than normal turned into Futtachi.
* Zashiki-warashi : Centered at Iwate, the legend distributed across Touhoku. Appear as 5 or 6 year child with bobbed hair and a red face. The male wears black kimono, while the female wears red kosode, or sometimes furisode. Zashiki-warashi can be found in well-maintained and preferably large old houses. Zashiki-warashi brings great fortune but should a zashiki-warashi depart, the domain will decline. A Zashiki-warashi wears all white is notice of fortune, while wears all red is an omen of misfortune caused by Zashiki-warashi leave.
* Namahage : From a festival in Akita prefecture. Oni faced, wears rain coat, gaiter and shoes made of straw and wield a kitchen knife. The red faced usually called as Jijinamahage, while the blue one Babanamahage.
* Hagoromo Gitsune : Probably from 9-tailed fox and Bake no kawagoromo.
* Kidoumaru : Shuten Douji's son. He try to revenge Shuten Douji and kill Minamoto no Yorimitsu. He heard that Yorimitsu will go to Kurama, so he went there first, killed a cow and hide inside it and waited to ambush Yorimitsu. Yorimitsu saw through of it and ordered Watanabe no Tsuna to shot it. Kidoumaru appeared from inside the cow and attacked Yorimitsu but defeated.
* Shoukera : From Koushin faith, in Koushin-machi night, it's said that Shoukera monitors human and punishes those that didn't abid the rule.
* Ibaraki Douji : Shuten Douji's most important servant. A bishounen that got cursed into oni caused by licking blood in a love letter.
* Kurama Daiten'gu : A wise ten'gu that teaches Ushiwakamaru (Minamoto Yoshitsune's child name) martial arts and war tactics. Ten'gu of Mt. Kurama.
* Kyoukotsu : Skeleton thrown into well becomes a ghost.
- Kyoukotsu, Kyoukotsu (daughter)
* Minagoroshi Jizou
* Gashadokuro : A giant skeleton assembled from bodies and grudges of war fallen and those who didn't get buried. Youkai created in modern days, firstly described in 1968's Saitou Morihiro's World Youkai Thriller Compilation 2 - World Monster.
* Tsuchigumo : Discrimanation to indigenous people that didn't object to the emperor. As youkai, described to have oni face, tiger body and long spider limbs.
* Hakuzouzu : A white fox that disguised as a monk. The monk is a hunter's uncle. He did it to prevent Yasaku, the hunter, from killing more fox.
* Himamushi Nyuudou : If there's people working until late, Himamushi Nyuudou will appear and disturbing it. Lazy person turn into this youkai.
* 27-men 1000-ju Mukade : From 1000-armed Kannon. In Niibo, Sado city, Niigata prefecture, a local belief identify 1000-armed Kannon with centipede. In the past, people there lived by mining. They called mine trail as centipede trail. They believed that 1000-armed Kannon arms show where there is rich deposits to mine.
* Gairouta : Probably from Rajoumon no Oni.
* Nue : It's described as having monkey head, tanuki body, tiger legs, and snake tail.
* Nurikabe : Wall-like youkai that impedes walking travelers at night.
* Hakutaku/Bai Ze : A bovine creature with nine eyes and six horns, arranged in sets of three and two on both its flanks and its man-like face.
- Guest character from Hitomi no Catblepas
* Tsukumogami : 100 years old items turned alive and aware.
* Kyuuso : A rat that turned into youkai. If there's kyuuso that eats cats, there's also one that raises cats.
* Hebidayu : A snake youkai.
* Ungaikyou : A tsukumogami of 100 years old mirror. Have it's face reflected in the mirror surface.
* Dodomeki : A girl that have stealing habit, she grows 100 eyes in her arm.
Thanks to sama's list, we have an overview of all youkais which have passed the revue:
Suppose you are a supreme commander, suppose you are allowed to form your hyakki yakko with 10 youkai. Which youkai can exchange sakazuki with you. 10 youkai and you are going to conquer to youkai world, who would you choose to start with and why? (please reason your answer why you choose these youkais)
Show and discuss everyone's Hyakki Yakko
Last edited by Sama_al_Azraq; March 12, 2010 at 08:28 AM.
The biggest virtue is to support these Seven Deadly Sins in their fight!!!
As we know, for Nurarihyon no Mago 2nd anniversary, readers can send their own hyakki yakou to Jump. So I think I would like to make mine too.
The strongest of the oni, leader of Mt. Oe's Oni. He's straightforward and therefore gullible to cunning tricks, but really powerful. I'll want him for the raid squad leader of my hyakki yakou.
- Tamamo no Mae
White-faced gold-furred 9-tailed fox youkai. If Shutendouji is a power-type, she's a magic-type. She can be positioned in the back and attacking enemies from afar.
- Sutoku Daiten'gu
Ten'gu of a former emperor that thrown from his throne. He excels at curse. With his power, have the other hyakki weakened before the battle to make the battle more easy.
Tsunewakamaru. Daughter of Kureha and granddaughter of Dairoku Tenmaou. With her abundant magic power and her curse that specifically destroys bonds and relationships, enemy's hyakki yakou's faith to their leader can be destroyed and in the end will make the hyakki crumble to pieces.
Aterui, the hero of Ezo tribe. A tactician. He can make the plans for battle against other hyakki and his combat skill also top notch. A reliable ally to have.
Snow woman. Never reject a woman as beautiful as yukionna. Also she can be a battle unit in war time and do household in peace time, a really useful youkai.
Fire lady. You can burnt the enemies into crisp with her at your side. Although she may burn you too...
Oni that can erase his presence and ambush enemy. The forefather of ninja. He can lead the ambush unit and spy/scout unit.
Cat youkai. I like cat so if I make a hyakki yakou I'll definitely have one.
Shadow woman. Appears in declined house. Her presence will make another youkais come to the house. So, it'll be easy to make a reliable stock of your hyakki.