Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 592 by BadKarma , Gintama 506 (2)
New Reply

Thread: Umi no Misaki

Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity segua's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Umi no Misaki

Title: Umi no Misaki
    Genres: Comedy, Harem, Romance, Seinen, Slice of Life
    Author: Fumizuki Kou
    Artist: Fumizuki Kou
    Publication: Hakusensha
    Start Date: 2007
    End Date: N/A
    Number of chapters at review: 61
    Number of chapters read by reviewer: 61

General Overview:

Love, tradition and religion. A complex mix to sort out. That's probably why missionary dating is frown upon. Unaware of what awaits the young Goto Nagi, he arrives on Okitsushima. The mysteries of the customs of the island will entangle him.

Category Ratings: (1-10 scale)

Art: 8

I've noticed that Fumizuki Kou makes great use of photos for hard-to-draw objects. He does a great job combining photos and the use of tone papers to further the realism in Umi no Misaki. Som people might not appreciate this, but I found it to be creative.

Fumizuki Kou also has a very unique style. One thing I like about his style is how he draws the hands. His distorted expressions also were very funny and worked well into a scene. His attention to the finger nails and toe nails are acceptable. For the most part, it's a very adorable style.

Somehow, I felt as if I've seen Fumizuki Kou's art style in some eroge's I've played (I won't mention which one .)

Plot: 8

What I liked about the plot was about the island and the tradition that it has. Even though this manga clearly is a harem type manga, I felt as if the back story of the island is what gives this story life. This is the driving factor for the entire plot; simple but works.

The setting of the story is a nice change in scenery. Instead of inner-city high school harem-love story, the reader is introduce to a tropical paradise and a rural life. I found it to be a welcomed change.

Characters: 8

Very interesting characters I must say. Each love interests has her own perspective about their role and life thus far. That really gives each of them depth. Somehow, I can't help but to root for them all to succeed. Though, knowing that this is a harem type, only one girl will end up with the guy. This is such a depressing thought. Each girl is very lovable. Their strength, weakness and insecurity brought up to the surface well.

The growth of the male protagonist was also interesting to note. He is starting to realize his role thanks to a peculiar person. He's doubtful of the role that's given to him to play but he realizes how important it is to the girls. Sensing that, he's maturing and learning how to be considerate of each girls feelings.

Theme: 10

There is a definite difference between title and person. Sometimes, it's hard for people to separate the two. Either, a person is recognized by the title but not as the person he is, or a person is recognized as who he is but not by the title he holds. There are times to properly distinguish the two and show the appropriate respect.

In conjunction, this is harder when steep tradition plays a role in such a thing. Tradition is a very hard thing to break or sort out. Just because it's tradition doesn't mean it's the best route to go. Of course that's not to say that everything related to tradition should be chucked out the window. No. What's good should be kept and what's bad should be dealt away with. There is a reason why some things were made traditional, and it takes wisdom to see the reasoning behind it.

Originality: 7

It's a harem type manga, but I like the setting and backdrop. It's a good mesh that gives it depth. Umi no Misaki makes a significant distinction from the harem-type norm albeit similarities. Instead of presenting the male protagonist, Goto Nagi, and having girls fall in love with him left and right, he is instead presented in a way where the girls don't have the power to choose. This was a very interesting set up.

Overall: 8

It's been a very enjoyable read. I love the mesh of how tradition plays a significant role when it comes to the affairs of love but more so for the love interests. It's binding and each girl seem to be confused on how to proceed best.

I would recommend it to those that don't mind reading harem type mangas. The plot may appear simple but the depth that the story has is quite remarkable. Like I wrote above, the back story is what seems to be giving life to the actual plot. Although in a way, this makes the actual story appear delicate personally.

Being a seinen, don't be surprise to see scenes of bare breasts.

Spoiler: Scenes from the First Chapter show
    Last edited by segua; February 24, 2010 at 02:28 PM.

(Please read from right to left.)

New Reply