Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 489 by kewl0210 , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Naruto 672 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 576 (2)
New Reply

Thread: A simple line

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner nukumi's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

A simple line

For some reason when I read these lines, my brain just shuts down and acts like I'm trying to feed it spaghetti through my nose ):

More seriously though, the main character has just escaped from the main road to get away from all the students when he hears some singing/humming nearby and he says(thinks) :
    誰かいるのか... ってかこっちは一応繋がってたのか...

raw scan here

Any opinions would be nice.. as I'm probably over thinking it.. severely. :l
    Thanks

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: A simple line

Well the first line is "Is someone there...?"

As for the second one, I'm kinda stumped as well. I know what they all mean seperate, but I have no idea what exactly it's supposed to mean together. Because literally it's like "Was this place connected for the time being" or something.

Sorry couldn't be more helpful.
    Hope someone sheds some light on it, b/c I'm curious to know now as well.

Manga Database 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner DrCoke's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

誰かいるのか... is better translated as "Someone's here...?" because it's a rhetorical question and we assume that he's already answered that question himself. That's just a minor difference. What lucifell suggested works as well.

As for ってかこっちは一応繋がってたのか... can be translated as "So this side is also connected...?" He's talking about the alley he's in and how the opposite side is also connected to... whatever he's thinking of. (I'm not sure what he's talking about, since I didn't read further into the context of that.) He obviously didn't have the knowledge that the alley connected to something else.

一応 = "at least" but this word is used usually to mean "at least from what I can see/what I know"

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner nukumi's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks both of you.

I felt the same about it, but I still wanted a second opinion. Something along the lines of that he wasn't aware that there was more to the little area he was in.. or so. "Is someone there? ..hey wait, I thought this was a dead end" (put in my own words, haha)

I don't think I've ever seen (or thought of) 一応 in that way before, but I can see where you're coming from. I'm going to go do some more research on it. Thanks again for your input.

New Reply