Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 600 (2)
New Reply
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13

Thread: Nick Simmons plagiarized Bleach

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity REN KOUEN's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

not sure if this has been posted yet.... gene simmons son plagairizes tite kubo

i did a search and i didnt find anything , so mods please move this if you must but i found this interesting, i think some of you will too

http://blog.ningin.com/2010/02/27/ra...-kubos-bleach/

Well here’s something you don’t hear everyday. A subject so common such as plagiarism gets a twist with a rock star’s son plagiarizing a famous mangaka. Gene Simmons’s son, Nick, was recently accused of plagiarizing Tite Kubo’s Bleach manga with his comic Incarnate.

The creator of Bleach, Tite Kubo, has stated his thoughts on the matter via Twitter: “I’m more interested in the fact that Gene Simmons’ son is a manga-ka than whether he’s plagiarizing me or not.” Interesting response but it doesn’t mean Nick is out of the hot water yet.

Radical, publisher of Incarnate, has stopped publishing the series until this matter is solved. VIZ Media, publisher of the English version of Bleach, stated that they are currently investigating the issue and thanks the fans for bringing it to their attention.

To make matters worse for Nick, a Facebook page that supposedly belongs to him posted comments like “I’ve never read a Japanese comic book or ‘magma’” and “Why would I name a comic after laundry detergent!” I don’t know if the real Nick Simmons posted these or if it’s from an imposter. The imposter could be a zealous Bleach fan who probably wants Nick to burn in Hell so they posted such comments to tarnish his reputation. Or, if it really was Nick Simmons, well, that was an idiotic move.

Many fans are outraged at such obvious copying, including myself. It’s one thing to be influenced by an artist but it’s another thing to imitate scenes/postures/facial expressions/designs from the series onto your own work. It was also a dumb move to copy a well-known series. Almost everyone who’s read manga or watch anime have seen or at least heard of Bleach. So what was Nick thinking when he used it as a “reference?” Someone was bound to find out about the similarities.

Also, am I only one who thinks that Incarnate actually looks interesting to read? But if I had the chance to read it, I would probably make Bleach comparisons. A shame, really…

---------- Post added at 10:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:27 AM ----------

http://www.animenation.net/blog/2010...of-plagiarism/
    Publisher Radical Comics has halted the publication and distribution of its current comic book series Incarnate following accusations that the book’s art copies imagery from Tito Kubo’s manga series Bleach. Radical’s statement says, “Radical is taking swift action… to maintain the integrity and protect the intellectual property of artists throughout the world.” The Incarnate action comedy comic is written and drawn by Nick Simmons, famously known as the son of Kiss lead singer Gene Simmons.

In response to the controversy, Viz Media, which publishes the Bleach manga in America, has stated, “We are currently investigating this issue.” Bleach creator Tite Kubo himself has expressed surprise to learn that Nick Simmons is an accomplished comic artist, but has not expressed any stand on the plagiarism accusations. Nick Simmons has made not publicly commented on the matter.

Bleach_Incarnate_2

I have a great deal of respect for Tite Kubo’s patience regarding this matter. I empathize with Simmons’ interest in Bleach; however, there must be a deliniation between homage or unconscious influence and conscious copying.

found this also ^^^^^^

---------- Post added at 10:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 AM ----------

and one last article, this one goes in to a bit more detail

i cannot believe this kid would try to pull this off when his dad is an icon in an industry that also deals with plagiarism and copyright infringement

Nick Simmons Accused Of Plagiarism For ‘Incarnate’ Comic; Publication Halted

Empress Eve Posted by Empress Eve | February 25th, 2010 at 7:50 pm

Bleach Incarnate comparison

Radical Publishing has halted production on its American Manga series Incarnate while they investigate claims of plagiarism against the series’ creator Nick Simmons, son of KISS founder Gene Simmons.

Radical Comics launched the series, which Simmons wrote and penciled, back in August and released three single issues, which were to be sold later this year in a collected volume. Read their full official statement regarding the allegations here below.

Earlier this week, accusations arose against Simmons on the GameFAQ forum stating that his artwork on Incarnate was copied from popular manga titles like Tite Kubo’s Bleach, which has sold over 50 million volumes worldwide. The Bleachness fan site posted side-by-side comparisons of the artwork from both titles to show similarities, and even superimposed the images. There’s also word balloons that show similar dialogue between the new comics.

The image at top is one of the examples from the Bleachness site [note, we do not have either source material to verify the claims]: on the left is a panel from Bleach; the center is a panel from Incarnate; the image on the right is a both of these images superimposed.

Viz Media, which publishes Bleach in North America, said “We’ve got our team on it” regarding the situation, while Radical said that they were “making efforts now to contact the publishers of the works in question in an effort to resolve this matter.”

Kubo sent two tweets after hearing the news which people are translating it to say that a lot of foreign sites contacted him about the Simmons comic, but that Kubo, who does not understand English well, was “…more interested in the fact that Gene Simmons’ son is a mangaka than whether he’s plagiarizing me or not.” (Kubo’s tweets were not in English.)

Other manga titles mentioned in connection with Simmons’ alleged plagiarism are Hellsing, One Piece, and Vampire Hunter D.

Radical’s response in regards to Incarnate

We at Radical Publishing, Inc. and Radical Comics, Inc. are quite concerned to hear the news surrounding Nick Simmons’s Incarnate Comic Book. We are taking this matter seriously and making efforts now to contact the publishers of the works in question in an effort to resolve this matter. We have halted further production and distribution of the “Incarnate” comic book and trade paperback until the matter is resolved to the satisfaction of all parties. Rest assured that Radical is taking swift action regarding this matter and will continue in its efforts to maintain the integrity and protect the intellectual property of artists throughout the world whose creative works are the bedrock of our Company and the comic book industry.

A Facebook page was started called “Calling for legal action against Nick Simmons for plagiarism of other works” where someone claiming to be Simmons responded to the allegations, though there’s no verification on whether the poster was actually Simmons.

It seems highly unlikely under the circumstances that Simmons would risk responding to such serious allegations on a Facebook page. The 21-year-old reality-TV star, who appears along with his famous parents (his mom is actress Shannon Tweed) and younger sister Sophie on the A&E series Gene Simmon’s Family Jewels, has not made any official statements at this time, nor has anyone from the Simmons’ camp. Simmons and his ultra-famous dad made the convention rounds last summer to promote the younger Simmons’ foray into the world of comics.

http://www.geeksofdoom.com/2010/02/2...cation-halted/

---------- Post added at 12:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 AM ----------

figured it had been posted

sorry for the re-post guys
    Last edited by REN KOUEN; April 04, 2012 at 10:30 AM.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Tengou's Avatar
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Nick Simmons plagiarized Bleach

Sometimes you see these kinds of things and wonder just how someone could ever imagine himself getting away with it. It's not just the fact that the target of his plagiarism is an incredibly popular work, although it certainly helps to demonstrate the futility of trying to imitate it without anyone noticing. Some people must just not be capable of seeing the direct consequences of their actions, else they would adjust their behaviour, or prevent the backlash generated by condemning actions from reaching them preemptively. Still, to read that volumes of this comic were actually sold is a strangely sour note at the end of a foreboding concerto of audacious failure, and makes me feel that karma at Nick's address has been significantly delayed.

Still... It's half impressive how he managed to turn Kenpachi into one of the biggest metrosexuals I've ever seen.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member zelllogan's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

I just love his answer:
    http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/20...of-plagiarism/

I shouldn't be surprised by a reality-tv "star" being shameless but still, shameless should become a synomym of "Simmonsfull".

Quote Quote:
    Other manga titles mentioned in connection with Simmons’ alleged plagiarism are Hellsing, One Piece, and Vampire Hunter D.
    At least, he has good tastes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengou View Post
    Sometimes you see these kinds of things and wonder just how someone could ever imagine himself getting away with it.
    Rich parents
    Last edited by zelllogan; April 08, 2012 at 12:10 PM.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Bromamura's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

That imitation of the Grimmjow leaping panel is just pathetic. I mean you have such a badass example right there to copy from, and the best you could do is some skinny teen with long finger nails and holes in his clothes doing the same shit? Just 1000x less cool? Disgrace.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity REN KOUEN's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

i just love kubo tite's response

The creator of Bleach, Tite Kubo, has stated his thoughts on the matter via Twitter: “I’m more interested in the fact that Gene Simmons’ son is a manga-ka than whether he’s plagiarizing me or not.”

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted THM Nindo's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

This is pretty old news...
    Was it brought up again because something else happened?

True love will conquer everything
    The question now is : which of those two loves, is the true one?!

Jiraiya's timeline : here
    Zetsu, the strongest villain of Akatsuki : here

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree, there is simply no point in further discussing this. There are no more news about this and the issue is actually resolved with the kid not having a comic book anymore and probably being out of the industry forever. Maybe this was brought back simply because people enjoy seeing him fail (he was no underdog afterall lol).

New Reply
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13