Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!

View Poll Results: Next Month I Want To See

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • More Claire, Deneve, and Helen

3 18.75%
  • What Priscilla will do

5 31.25%
  • Miria and co's arrivial

2 12.50%
  • Follow up on Dietrich and Yuma

5 31.25%
  • Cynthia's situation

0 0%
  • Galetea

1 6.25%
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Claymore Chapter101- Wedge- Review

Reviewer 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Claymore Claymore Chapter101- Wedge- Review

Claymore Chapter 101- Wedge Review
    Before we begin, I'd just like to bring up the chapter title. While it has been translated as Wedge, it the context in which it is used is probably closer to “block” in meaning. It's quite possible that later or other translations will not use the term wedge.

Anyways, on to the Poll results. Surprisingly none of Galetea's fans felt she had something to do with this. One person felt that it was in fact Priscilla's fault. Three of you figured that it had to do with either Raphaela's or Teresa's actions. And six people thought it was because she's only a quarter Yoma. Then the answer turns out to be something I didn't even have on the list. And in retrospect it was obvious. Well on to the Review.

The Players-
    [URL=http://img85.imageshack.us/i/claire101.jpg/][/URL
    Claire- Our Heroine. Wanted to awaken to kill Priscilla, but that doesn't seem to be working out.

Deneve and Helen- The two of them are trying to keep Claire alive. It's a thankless job, but someone has to do it.

Priscilla- The main antagonist. Everything just seems to be annoying her right now.

Yuma- Yay! She's alive!

Trying and Failing, Trying and Failing

We pick up this month where we left off last month. Claire has just forcibly reverted from her partially awakened state. We learn that Claire deduced back when she was a child from Sophia cutting Priss that her defenses aren't tough. You just need speed and skill to hit her. She even used her fight with Rigaldo as a means of information on the subject. And everything she's trained to do, is part of her stratagem to use on Priss. But now that she can't awaken it looks like it's falling apart. Each time Claire tries to awaken, she reverts back to normal, and each time it seems to happen faster and faster. Just what is going on?
    This is an interesting little section here. We find out just how much Claire has been preparing to fight Priss. Even her awakened form seems to be geared towards her preconception of what has the best chance of killing Priss. The thing is, Claire can't know that both Rigaldo and the even faster, and far more powerful on attacks Isley were totally overwhelmed by Priss. That's not to say Claire is on the wrong track here, but much like an Abyssal Eater, any attack that doesn't destroy Priss's head is doomed to failure. By the way, I enjoyed how Priscilla was finding Claire's failure to awaken boring. Seems that unless it involves filling her belly, Priss just doesn't care about things.

The Block-

Of course Helen and Deneve are still watching this, and it's Deneve who figures out what's going on. And I must admit, I'm ashamed I didn't think of this and put it in last months poll. It's Jean's fault. No, it's not something Jean did, but rather as a result of Jean's death the last time she awakened, Claire herself has put up a mental block that prevents her from awakening. So it seems that Claire's, honestly not too good, plan to beat Priscilla has run into a huge snag. It also shows that unlike some other manga characters, she can't put revenge above a friend's life, or in this case death.

Hit and Run-

Of course now It's up to Helen and Deneve to save Claire and get the hell out of there. And they are going to use the Destroyer's rods to do it. The two of them use the now transforming rods as obstacles and weapons against Priss. This does let them grab Claire and make a break for it, and also destroys Priscilla's outfit, but as Deneve points out, they had better hope lady luck smiles on them.
    Well done Deneve. She really shows off her smarts here, coming up with a pretty good plan to deal with two threats at once, and exploiting the traits of the Hellcats to her advantage. Course with how fast Priss moves, I don't know if it bought them much time. Maybe they will get lucky, and Priscilla will finally decide to do something about the Destroyer's distracting her?

Yay for Yuma-

And after several months we get an answer to a poll question. Yuma and Cynthia are alive and unawakened. Thing is, although the second wave of spears missed them, the Hellcats are prowling around. And with Cynthia still unable to move, it's up to Yuma to lead them away. She does pretty well, but eventually gets a small rod in the arm. While she quickly knocks it out, she can no longer use the arm. With it looking like the End, Yuma begins to think how everyone would react to her learning to synchronize Yoki, and her new regeneration skill. The thought of not being able to meet back up with the others is enough to make Yuma cry, but then she gets saved. Dietrich has appeared, and it seems she want's to repay a debt and then some.
    Yay! Yuma and Cynthia Live! That makes me happy. While Cynthia can't do anything right now, Yuma goes out to stop the hellcats. Sadly, while she does pretty good, she's still fairly tired out from saving Cynthia, and gets incapacitated. We get a great sequence with her thinking about all the other ghosts, and I find it pretty touching. If she does get to meet back up with the others, I would love to see their actual reactions, and see how close to the mark she was. It's interesting that Dietrich is the one to save her. Wasn't she going to report to the Organization? If so, it seems like she would have had to go back to the east first, and wouldn't have been able to get there before Miria and co. And just what is that scrap of cloth Dietrich is holding? Well now Dietrich has five hellcats to deal with. And it would seem like Miria and whoever accompanies her from Rabona will be showing up next chapter as well.

Winner of the Month-
    Finally we get a break from Priscilla dominating this award. Both Deneve and Yuma are deserving this month, but as Deneve's best moments were shared with Helen, and I liked Yuma knocking the rod out of her arm like that, I give this month's winner of the month to-

YUMA!

What does it mean? It means your about to get your butt kicked!

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member HegemonKhan's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Claymore Chapter101- Wedge- Review

omg!!!

i never noticed that scrap of cloth in dietrich's hand... and i think i know exactly what it is and for.... grins!!!!!

Dietrich HAS help.... but it is not the other Org Claymores or the rebels/Ghosts (miria and co), like i thought... no... it's....

the AFs !!!!! Dietrich has brought the AF army to help her!!!

and that cloth in her hand is how!!!!!!!

that cloth has the scent that the AFs will follow... so they are going to follow Dietrich, thus her bringing an army of AFs with her. the AFs following/tracking Dietrich's scented cloth in her hand, will take out the hellcats for her!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

an interesting tid bit:

Yuma as seen in chapter 101, really admires Clare.

well, is it coincidence that Yagi also had her (Yuma) do the same sword throw against the female AB in Lacroa town, as Clare did way way back in chapter 2 against a normal yoma in whatever town (i think it was unnamed, but i forgot).
    Last edited by HegemonKhan; March 03, 2010 at 07:22 PM.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting theory. The downside is that the AE's would be going after the cloth, and as we've seen, they tend to ignore other things until attacked. Then again, just bieng near the Hellcats will make them attack something, so it could work. I wonder what would happen if a Hellcat parisitized a AE?

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

ya, that could be a problem... i actually had this same thought.. a little while later after coming up with this theory... but meh... yagi could work out this issue...

i still think this (using the AFs) is really what is going to happen... hehe...

"it's too good, to not to be true...lol"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

yagi could work out this issue... or not.....

regeneration (AFs) vs infection (hellcats).... = SUPER AF = able to infect and regenerate, lol.... maybe this isn't such a good idea... lol

or... would that super AF still be under the same "rules" as a normal AF, thus dietrich would just have a more powerful army to use... lol...

hmm.....

maybe this could work out very very very well... lol

super AF army vs priscilla !!!!
    Last edited by HegemonKhan; March 03, 2010 at 10:43 PM.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member gernot's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting theory, but... Dietrich could never use the AEs without the org's explicit orders. So why would the org send in AEs? The org probably doesn't even know yet that #1 and #2 and Riful are dead. If they wanted to send AEs after Riful, they would have just sent them in the beginning, it's too early to send in new ones. And they can't send the AE after the destroyer: Even if they have samples from the many spikes, it should take some time to train the AE to attack it, and the outcome would probably not be favorable.

I guess if the org is sending in AEs, they must be after the spikes. Maybe the org just wants to see who's stronger, and whether anything interesting happens when the AE get infected... But if the cloth is intended to lure the AE, Dietrich is living dangerously... remember what happened to Dauf's arm when he was holding Riful's clothes...

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

small correction:

the Org DOES know that Alicia and Beth are dead, and just nonchalently shrug this devasting blow to their power off, and instead are salivating over getting their hands on the Destroyer or its fragments (like raki with 2 of the small rods impaled in his shoulder).

this is strange behavior if they are vulnerable due to a lack of power...... it really makes me think... they got some kind of "trick up their sleeve", or else they should be trembling and worrying about their own destruction... the Ghosts could easily take out the Org's remaining Claymores, so why aren't they worried.... they mut be hiding some kind of power... keeping them safe.... despite losing their ranks 1 and 2, Alicia and Beth....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

they probably know about riful's death as well.

my reasoning:

1. they always know everything that is going on the island... somehow... at least they have from ch 1 - ch ~99

2. Rubel (last seen at Lacroa town) and especially Dae (last seen at Ticheri town the closest town to the "incident", which I presume is the Destroyer. though, he is probably now going back to org HQs now that he has infected raki. Also, priscilla came from this town, abandoning raki to Dae who'd arrive a bit later after priscilla left to go feed on Beth) are nearby the Destroyer's location and have probably done recon of the situation.

yes, indeed. it is definately VERY dangerous for dietrich, assuming/hoping (so that i end up guessing right, hehe) this happens to be what yagi is going to have happen.

i thought this went without saying so. my bad then for not mentioning how dangerous it would be for dietrich to be doing this "plan".
    Last edited by HegemonKhan; March 04, 2010 at 03:09 AM.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, maybe the org knows... it is a little unclear how long ago Priscilla killed Alicia and Beth. However, keep in mind that they've lost their eye, Rune, as well, and any other Claymores they have in this region are probably also busy fighting kitties... And the org is in the East, while all of this is happening in the West. It's a smallish island, but when Clare was walking around in the district assigned to her as a claymore, travelling from town to town took her several days. Maybe someone like Dietrich can travel from the East to the West in a few days, but in a single day? I'm guessing the Raki is still travelling to the org's base, and similarly, it's still too early for any instructions from the MiB in the West to have made it to the East, summoned an army of AE, and for this army to have made it back to the West...

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

hmm, if this is the only source, then it isn't certain if they know alicia+beth are dead or not.

chapter 96 page 5 (using the translation of the manga i looked at):

a retrieval unit speaking to Dae:

"perhaps if we still had numbers 1 and 2 available to make use of such an operation would be feasible. but considering our current military capacity, our chances seem rather slim."

Dae responds:

"Tch... it would seem we were a little hasty in deploying alicia and beth."

as can be seen, this could just mean that alicia and beth are busy (they think) killing riful, or it could mean that they do indeed know that alicia and beth are dead, killed by priscilla.

i haven't looked/found another reference if there is one.

but if this is the only one, than i was wrong to say with surety that they know alicia and beth are dead.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

you're right that in the beginning of the manga it took clare up to 3 days to go from one town to the other. but that was a very weak clare then. we also don't know if she walked or ran, or could run (as in if she had the endurance/stamina/energy to or not to).

however.....

alicia and beth traveled very fast from the east to the west, "zipping" by rabona which Galatea, maybe miria too, and Tabatha sensed.

also, deneve and helen traveled very fast from the south to the west.

dietrich traveled fast from the south to rabona then to the west

also, the AFs/AEs/"Demons" themselves can travel quite fast too.

-----------------------

i was more thinking that additional AFs/AEs/"demons" at the org HQs would come on their own to the west, rather then you suggesting they'd have to send a messanger back to the east to then bring the AFs/AEs/"demons" back with "him/her"

-----------------------

p.s.

just thought of this....

OR, it is simply that Alicia didn't kill all of the AFs/AEs/"Demons" that were trying to eat riful....

and it are those ones, whom will follow/go to dietrich with her scented cloth in her hand.
    Last edited by HegemonKhan; March 04, 2010 at 02:16 PM.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

The time flow is rather unclear in this whole arc... But at the time when Dae commented about Alicia and Beth, they were still alive but the org probably had no way to contact them.

It seems to me that the time flow is something like this:
    The destroyer awakens, spits out Clare, and almost immediately sends out the first wave of spikes. This is not quite immediate, because Riful has time to start the fight with the AE and Alicia, but the spikes hit her not too far into that fight.

It takes Clare, Helen, and Denebu about one day to fight the spikes, and they don't have much time to rest before the second wave is on the way. So, chapter 101 is still only the day after the destroyer awakened, not that much time has passed.

Dae walks around in that town and finds Raki, but all the spikes there are already dead. The MiB are not exactly a fighting force, and they didn't have any claymores with them for protection. So, this can't have been all that close to the start of the first wave, or there would still be kitties prowling around in the area, even if all the ones in town were killed by Priscilla rather than expiring on their own. It must have been fairly close to the start of the second wave, and this doesn't make a lot of sense to me... Dae doesn't strike me as someone who would put himself in danger, yet he goes into a combat zone, so close to the destroyer. Anyway, the group responsible for transporting Raki back to the org has more to worry about than just Raki awakening, they're still well within range of the second wave, I would think.

So, between the start of the first wave and the encounter with Clare, Priscilla had about one day to leave the town, kill Alicia, Beth, and Riful, and find Clare. However, she moves extremely fast, and her fights with those three didn't take all that long. I can't really make sense of the flow of time here...

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

it is definately a nightmare... trying to figure out the time-lines of events or charaters and/or their movements... and where who is where when.. lol.. that was confusing in itself.. laughs..

or locations on the island... lol..

(i've been on a long long long hiatus on my "map project", maybe i've even given up... at the least i'm not about to get back on it anytime soon. hoping for more chapters and more info first at least, and been too busy jsut discussing claymore as these new chapters slowly come out... grrr)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

it took me forever just to (hopefully i have) figure out raki's and clare's movements after the 7 years time gap.

heck, the events during the 7 years "time gap" was difficult to piece to together as well.

for example...

i had thought that Gaheh* and the other ABs were luciela's in the southern land.

finally i figured out that they were the 12 ABs that isley sent to the west, which is where they fought against riful+dauf and were destroyed. Riful+Dauf then rushed to the south but were too late, as isley had gotten there first and already battled with luciela, whom riful had wanted to ally with against isley.

*(there's actually an AB with this name, and not just as their laughing sounds. Gaheh was killed by Dauf's "burp", aka Dauf shot a rod out of his mouth and killed Gaheh, riful then destroyed the rest of the now 11 ABs that isley had sent)
    Last edited by HegemonKhan; March 04, 2010 at 05:37 PM.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, the timing on this arc is confusing.

You know, if Dietrich is trying to sick AE's on the Hellcats, that cloth could be a piece of Riful's dress.

I don't think the Org will know about Alicia and Beth's deaths for a while. Without Renee, they won't have the same ability to follow Yoki. I wonder just what their reactions will be? I do however hope that the ghosts don't leave any pieces laying around.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

*this is jsut a joke/humour, though maybe it could come true, but probably unlikely*

Renee!!!!!

Renee stole/picked up Riful's dress on the way out (remember Riful took off her dress because it was her last, and she didn't want it to get torn in battle). she then met up with Dietrich and gave it to her.
    Last edited by HegemonKhan; March 04, 2010 at 09:57 PM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Poneglyph420's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure if the Org. is fully aware of the situation, and have a contingency plan.
    Or are they aware and secretly crapping their pants..
    Or unaware of the hell breaking loose.

Miria and Co. seem like the "X" factor to me.

It's on. Like Donkey Kong

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

unfortunately...

the Organization still seems to remain omniscient and they are way too calm for my liking if they aren't still omnipotent too... they got to have some "trick up their sleeve"... way too calm for me... considering their seeming dire situation and no "manpower" (woman/Claymore power, lol). The Ghosts+Miata(+Clarice)+Galatea could easily beat Audrey, Rachel, Renee, and Nina. The Organization has to have some still secret power/force which is keeping them so calm, despite having lost their "prized" Alicia+Beth which they spent years and years "ready-ing".... far far to nonchalent about it... they got to have secrets... powers/forces/creations-beings we haven't been shown yet...

i could source supporting evidence that they do seem to know about everything that is going on in recent chapters, but i'm too tired right now.

(if people want me to, i'll do it, in maybe a few days, just not now)

here's two quick-simple reasons of their omniscience:

1. Dae is in the vicinity (or was, since he/Organization has raki, and they taking him back to Org HQs)

2. Rubel was last seen in Lacroa town (which isn't too far away from the Destroyer), tricking/coercing Clare into causing the emergence of the Destroyer itself onto the scene... so who knows where he's lurking around now or what he is up to....
    Last edited by HegemonKhan; March 22, 2010 at 08:17 PM.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

1. Dae being in the vicinity of where Alicia & Beth would be fighting Riful doesn't strike me as an example of omniscience.

2. Rubel being in the vicinity of where Rune was last seen doesn't strike me as odd either.

3. Dae doesn't care so much about Alicia and Beth per se, but probably cares more about the research behind creating them. Even though it took a long time to complete Alicia, and then even longer to refine her, I would imagine that they gained insights that would enable them to getter better results and get them faster next time. They're a research facility. Their goal is not to create super-strong warriors that they can then send to war on the mainland, but rather to find a way to create such warriors, so that they can be mass-produced somewhere else.

----------
    I don't think the organization is even considering the possibility of being crushed. They've taken collateral damage before when Luciela awoke, and they've faced a threat when Isley sent awakened beings after the org, but I'm not convinced they regard the ghosts as a threat. They're a bunch of expendable warriors that were sent to the North to die. They kept quiet for seven years without causing trouble. When they did reappear, they had nothing better to do but support the organization's warriors, saving Nina's group in the North, Audrey's group, and Dietrich's group. I mean, seriously, would you consider someone like that a threat?
    As a matter of principle, they should be hunted and killed for leaving the organization, just like Galatea or Theresa, but there's no hurry there while there are still abyssal ones to deal with.

Well, even though everyone keeps talking about the possibility that Miria could crush the org at this moment, I'm still quite unclear what this "crushing" means. The one obvious thing is that they don't intend to fight / kill the current generation warriors.

In all her oh-so-thorough searching over the years, Miria has never actually found any evidence that the org creates youma, much less actual production facilities which she could destroy. And anyway, destroying facilities without destroying the means to rebuild them is meaningless. Personally, I would have thought that crushing the organization would mean killing the MiB - all of them - and then destroying any facilities and records that they can find. However, Clare, Cynthia and Yuma had the chance to kill three MiB and didn't.

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast