Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/14/14 - 7/20/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi , Bleach 588 (2)
New Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Do your parents watch anime?

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member strawhatsarah's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Do your parents watch anime?

Babe, did you mean less tolerant? I think thats what you meant.

I will be just as tolerant as my parents. They never once told me to stop watching a program, or anime. The only times they did is when it was sexually graphic, overly violent, or bad language. They stopped with that, however, once I was 13 or so.

~There was no choice but to break it there and let it grow a new stem. But I still become hopelessly confused. Unable to break this feeling… unable to break…~

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Dive's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't want kids, but assuming I do, it just depends on how much my kid matures growing up. As long as I know they can distinguish fantasy from reality, then I really do not care what they watch. That's how my mom was. She never cared what my brother and I watched because we knew it was just a movie, a TV show, a video game, etc, and that we were smart enough to not imitate it once we got to a certain age.
    To die by your side
    Well, the pleasure - the privilege is mine

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member shaheer's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

i d like them (if any ever) to watch anime, as long as they r doing good with their studies

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Mushashi's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

my mum liked grave of the fireflies and watched astro boy and gigantor as a kid. R.I.P

Fruits Punch Samurai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted BBB Banana's Avatar
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

My parents don't watch anime but one of my father's friends does. He's allways talking about anime whit me when he's at my place and he's more than 40.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner chichiri_chan's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Pretty much everyone in my family watches anime, including my parents. My father's seen almost as much anime as I have. (He's even cosplayed, bless his heart!) My mother isn't as into anime, so she's only watched a few series (anything Miyazaki, Pandora Hearts, Fushigi Yuugi, Bleach, and Death Note). When my teenage sister was a baby we had anime and J-pop going so much that she actually learned Japanese first even though we're an English-speaking family. Sadly, she forgot almost all of it when we decided we needed to cut back on the anime. ^^;

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

My parents don't watch anime, but they don't have a problem with it. My dad used to rib me a bit for watching Inuyasha, but it was always good natured (and, let's face it, well deserved!).

MH Lothario 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member goldb's Avatar
    Country
    Costa Gravas
    Post Thanks / Like

As far as parents go, mine didn't watch anime/cartoons with us children growing up, but once when I was about 17 and was watching One Piece seemed interested and asked me what the story was about, then as I was explaining she had already left the room.

As for my own kids, I pretty much agree with what Dive said; as long as they can distinguish between fantasy and reality then it's fine.

Horosho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

My parents watched anime when they were kids without realizing it: Astroboy, Gigantor, and Speed Racer were all popular cartoons in the 60's. They haven't watched anything since, I'm not sure they actually know what anime or manga is.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Organizized's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure about my dad.. but my mum was the one who took me with her to see Spirited Away in theatres, though. I was probably 10 or so at the time and that's when I first really got into anime (I had read Dragonball, but never heard of the terms anime and manga).

After that I watched all Studio Ghibli's movies and my mum even bought me a box set of Miyazaki movies. I'm not sure she's seen any other anime movies, and sure as hell not series, but she still doesn't seem to have quite the "it's so childish and stupid"-attitude against the whole thing as many of you guys' parents seem to have.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Serbia
    Post Thanks / Like

As for my mom, she doesn't watch anime in general, only Naruto. And I'm so proud of her. Dad, on the other hand, constantly makes fun of her because of that.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Revilenigma's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

My Dad introduced me to stuff from miyazaki and leiji matsumoto and other late 80's to early 90's animes when I was about 4 and my mom accidentally introduced me to ninja scroll at age 8.
    http://i586.photobucket.com/albums/ss310/revilenigma/avatars%20and%20sigs/boxman.png

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member p1xel's Avatar
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

I don`t have that problem beacuse i just started watching anime and reading manga last december:P
    YET
    Oh and noone from my family read any mangas or something,just my 2 dumb brothers watched dragon ball with me(old times):P

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Collide's Avatar
    Country
    New Zealand
    Post Thanks / Like

hmmmm...yeah they do..so far the anime that they have watch are Pokemon, Atashin'chi and Susy and Marvy. They usually watch it with my annoying little beasts siblings

Spoiler show

MH's Most Awesome Staffer 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Ustegius's Avatar
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Organizized View Post
    Not sure about my dad.. but my mum was the one who took me with her to see Spirited Away in theatres, though. I was probably 10 or so at the time and that's when I first really got into anime (I had read Dragonball, but never heard of the terms anime and manga).

After that I watched all Studio Ghibli's movies and my mum even bought me a box set of Miyazaki movies. I'm not sure she's seen any other anime movies, and sure as hell not series, but she still doesn't seem to have quite the "it's so childish and stupid"-attitude against the whole thing as many of you guys' parents seem to have.
    Similar story with me. My mother took me and my sister to see Spirited Away, and that's the first time I saw something that I recognized as 'anime' (First I ever saw was Totoro or Tanoshii no Moomin Ikka). She has also watched most of the Ghibli films, and keeps bugging me occassionally if there has been any new Ghibli DVD releases, so she can add those into her collection. Or when the next film is coming, and what it's about. I don't recall her any other anime though.

My dad has pretty neutral thoughts on anime. He has watched the Miyazaki films too, and remembers watching Astroboy as a kid. And sometimes if I watch anime he might also sit down and watch for a while. He actually liked some gory action bits (Hellsing) and mysteries (Paranoia Agent, Death Note), and surprisingly enough he said he also considered Satoshi Kon's films interesting (Millenium Actress, Tokyo Gofdathers)

New Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast