Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 504 by Bomber D Rufi , Bleach 589 by BadKarma
New Reply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Do your parents watch anime?

Translator 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner niiica's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Do your parents watch anime?

My parents don't watch anime. But there was this one time I was watching Minami-ke and my mom watched an episode or two.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

My parents watched some of those WMT series together with me when I was a kid and sometimes also Pokémon or Sailor Moon.
    But since I'm not a kid anymore there's no reason to control what I watch on TV
    And since they're both not into comics (and never were), they don't read any.

Intl Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Ju-da-su's Avatar
    Country
    Thailand
    Post Thanks / Like

My dad actually did watch anime with me, even stuff like One Piece or Bleach some while back, probably because both my brother and I enjoyed them. He never really hates anime, at least as far as I recalled. In fact, I got that kind of feeling that he kind of likes One Piece (probably since he kept on saying Zoro's name when we mentioned something related to it...come to think of it now, I don't really know why it has to be Zoro either, since Zoro is never my favorite character in One Piece, neither is my brother's. ._."), though never was able to ask him for sure about that. Not my mom though, since my mom has that thought that watching anime is a waste of time for nothing. .-.

Negative Syndicate

My mother rarely reads/watches manga/animation, and she really doesn't mind me and my sister watching/reading them.

However, my father thinks manga/animation stuffs are too immature/stupid and wasting a valuable time. He treats me like 13 years old because I still read and watch them.
    Last edited by Negative Syndicate; April 20, 2010 at 09:52 AM.

MH Lothario 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member goldb's Avatar
    Country
    Costa Gravas
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I remember my dad telling me to grow up and stop watching kids stuff ...

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner niitoku's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

lol, my parents watches them with me, its just shows that shown in drawings thats all.
    theres no difference to them XD

MH's Best Artist 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I wish they did...They still kind of see it as something for kids,so yeah...

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Cotaku's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

My mom doesn't really care about what I do, I guess. She's never complained about it; but she's never watched it either.

My dad has called me a freak several times. And it hasn't been jokingly in a while.

COURTNEY | 18 | TUMBLR

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

If it wasn't for my parents, I would never have been interested in anime and manga in the first place! My mom was a huge fan of Sailor Moon and used to talk about the series with her friends. She also watched Inuyasha, Detective Conan, and Twelve Kingdoms. (The first two because of my brother and I; the second because she was a fan of the book.) On the other hand, my dad's not that interested in anime/manga.

My mom read a lot of retro mangas when she was younger such as Cyborg 009. The most recent title she read was Death Note. In fact she loved Death Note so much that she read it twice.

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member nanaDmari's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

My father likes to watch soccer games and two or three series in tv... nothing more T~T
    But my mother loves these kind of things XD
    not only she watches anime and read manga, she also studies japanese... and sometimes she tries raw episodes and such... she also likes games... such a good friend she is... hehehe

Quote Originally Posted by Asarii View Post
    My mom read a lot of retro mangas when she was younger such as Cyborg 009. The most recent title she read was Death Note. In fact she loved Death Note so much that she read it twice.
    Mom was soooo possessive with Death Note... everytime I got home with a new volume she would take it to her room and wouldn't let anyone read it before her XD

My parents are 56 year old... what about yours? Younger parents might accept it more easily... at least is what I notice from my friends parents...

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member fullmoon's Avatar
    Country
    Vietnam
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow Re: Do your parents watch anime?

Quote Quote:
    Do your parents watch anime?
    Well, My parents said manga n anime is childish.
    Even when I'm a child (11, I think..), I have to read Inuyasha inside a blanket with a flashlight so that my mum wouldn't recognize.
    Laughing when ẹnoying manga/anime will be considered crazy in my house.

Much for the answer?

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Gecko Moria's Avatar
    Country
    New Zealand
    Post Thanks / Like

No, they think I'm wasting time watching anime and wasting money buying manga. But, interestingly, since I spend so much time on anime and manga they seem to have learned a some things about them (e.g. the boy can stretch like rubber is called Luffy ) which is somewhat of a surprise to me since I never pay attention to what they're watching.

Thanks to ~Coffee~ for the avatar and signature.
    Everything is possible: The impossible just takes longer.

One Piece|Gecko is bored, go post something~|The Tennis Thread

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner XxStrawberrySakura's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Asarii View Post
    If it wasn't for my parents, I would never have been interested in anime and manga in the first place! My mom was a huge fan of Sailor Moon and used to talk about the series with her friends. She also watched Inuyas ha, Detective Conan, and Twelve Kingdoms. (The first two because of my brother and I; the second because she was a fan of the book.) On the other hand, my dad's not that interested in anime/manga.

I love Sailor Moon, you mom sounds like me lol ^^ my parents say Im childish and I need to grow up but Im 19 I don't care lol I love the new sailor moon manga My only concern is when Im a parent I hope my kid doesn't think the same as my parents cause most likely Ill still watch anime and read manga when Im old lol maybe

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner MisaoFan's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, but my parents (and my elder sister) only watches old animes (70s-80s-ish), arabic programs, dramas, news and documentaries, but I and my second older sister (who also watches sitcoms) watches recent anime. I showed some of my anime I liked to my sisters, then said they liked it. However, my parents hate hentai. When I watch anime that shows huge loads of fanservice like Yosuga no Sora, I hide with another webpage in order that my parents don't see when watching.
    Last edited by MisaoFan; January 28, 2012 at 07:44 AM.

Hound of Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member benelori's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

What a cool thread...well my parents aren't fans of what I do...I explained this entire phenomenon, and they understand what it is, it's just that they don't find it interesting enough I guess...my mom only watches television, because it helps her to go to sleep, and my dad watches news and sports...

I wonder though, what would've happened if I have gotten a lot earlier in this manga world, or maybe we had the manga culture more widespread here in the first place...I mean I watched Sailor Moon and my brother watched Pokemon, but it was counted as mere japanese cartoon...we had no idea what world is behind them

New Reply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast