Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 754 by cnet128 , Bleach 590 by cnet128 , Gintama 504 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Do your parents watch anime?

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member rudorofu's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Do your parents watch anime?

Absolutely not. They're very closed in terms of knowing the trends and fads of this generation; quite traditional and close minded about most stuff too XD The only other family member who watches anime is my older sister.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member HegemonKhan's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I think this entirely depends on how old (what generation) your parents-family-siblings (and thus you too) are, lol.

when you got parents who were around when there wasn't even tv at all... they either or both see anime as kiddish cartoons or filth (such as due to fan-service or adult topics, as again, to them any "cartoon" graphical medium, is a "cartoon" - a show for little kids to watch, and so having content that's for older ages disturbs them)...

They see the "cartoon" graphic medium of it, and ignorantly decide it's fr kids, refusing to actually watch and listen to it, or they do in denial, refusing to accept the sophicating, challenging, and provacative advanced and complex dialogue and content that makes you critically think just as much (actually more, lol) than other "grown-up" shows.
    Last edited by HegemonKhan; January 29, 2012 at 05:10 AM.
    "The internet’s perfect for all manner of things, but productive discussion ain’t one of them. It provides scant room for debate and infinite opportunities for fruitless point-scoring: the heady combination of perceived anonymity, gestated responses, random heckling and a notional “live audience” quickly conspire to create a “perfect storm” of perpetual bickering." - Charlie Brooker

"I hold the wolf by the ears, I am in a dangerous situation and dare not let go" -an old saying in Latin

MH's Most Beautiful Member 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Naomidee's Avatar
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Neither of my parents watch anime or have ever read manga. My mom knows what Totoro and Sailor Moon are because I was obsessed with them as a kid. Although she doesn't really know anything else about it. My dad... It just wouldn't fit his personality. XD He loved the show Teen Titans when my little sisters were obsessed with it because he thought it was funny, but that's not anime.

My little sister watched Death Note and really loved it. She loved Sailor Moon when we were kids and all, but she's not really into it. We love Yugioh and yugioh abridged though!!! XD I really have no idea about my youngest sister. My older sister used to read a little manga here and there, but I don't think she ever really got into it. Her husband really loves Bleach, so I'm sure she watches that from time to time.

As far as anyone in my family saying I waste my time with manga or anime, they don't. My family is very accepting for the most part because we're all pretty weird. I sit at the top of that pyramid though. My dad would probably think it was a little weird, but he doesn't live with me anymore and doesn't know me all the well to even know I like it. I never talk about anime or manga with my family though. Can't miss the DGM novels lying on my desk and floor though.
    Last edited by Naomidee; January 30, 2012 at 12:48 AM.

MH's Best Artist 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

My mom is sometimes watching Detective Conan on TV with us and I have a feeling she's starting to enjoy it.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Enn's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

No, but I rembeer I once showed to my mother Slam Dunk and I think she has taken an interest in it.

New Reply
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4