Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/14/14 - 7/20/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi , Bleach 588 (2)
New Reply

Thread: Critique and questions

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Atevi's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Critique and questions

I've just done my first cleaning / typesetting:Ame Nochi Hare chapter 2: Spring Day Madness. Please give me some critiques on what I did right/wrong. I used Wild Words font almost exclusively, mostly because it's what was used on chapter 1 and I wanted a consistent look to it. Looking back I see text that should have been italics or bold, grrr.

The raws I used were great quality to begin with, so cleaning wasn't too hard. The only trouble was getting rid of text that wasn't in a bubble. I got better at it as I went, but some of my cleaning still bothers me when I look at it.

One more question, on the notes for Upload Release it says "Every release 1. has to provide a non-profit download resource. Online viewing is excluded...". Where should I put the link to the resource? I added it to the Release Notes section, is that a good place to put it?

p.s. I'm not in the credits. I just did it to learn, but ended up joining reaching-you-scans after talking with Dweezy, who did chapter 1. I decided to just use the reaching-you credit pages that he already had.
    Last edited by Atevi; March 11, 2010 at 10:03 AM.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member progste's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Critique and questions

Quote Quote:
    One more question, on the notes for Upload Release it says "Every release 1. has to provide a non-profit download resource. Online viewing is excluded...". Where should I put the link to the resource? I added it to the Release Notes section, is that a good place to put it?
    just uploading it on mangahelpers site is enough, anyway if you want to put a mirror you cand just do as you did

for the cleaning: i'm not sure about a thing, could you show me a raw page?

for the typesetting: you could write a little smaller in the ballons, leave a little more space between the fonts and the border of the ballon.
    when you erase a font outside the bubbles the pen tool can be really usefull in redrawing, plus be careful to cover the grey patterns with the same color, you can see why on the bottom of page 23.

one last thing, if you save color images like the credit page in png they'll look bad in the read online, i usually save that ones in jpg

3. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by progste View Post
    just uploading it on mangahelpers site is enough, anyway if you want to put a mirror you cand just do as you did
    Ahh, thanks! I thought they meant it had to be uploaded elsewhere in addition to MH.

for the cleaning: i'm not sure about a thing, could you show me a raw page?
    Here's the raw page 23 (63 of the volume) from below: http://i42.tinypic.com/dexmbm.jpg

for the typesetting: you could write a little smaller in the ballons, leave a little more space between the fonts and the border of the ballon.
    Yeah, good point. Sometimes I did leave good space, other times it was tight. I should keep it more consistent. Towards the end I started enlarging some bubbles to fit the translation (so I wouldn't have to go to 10px text or less).

when you erase a font outside the bubbles the pen tool can be really usefull in redrawing, plus be careful to cover the grey patterns with the same color, you can see why on the bottom of page 23.
    Ha - you found the page that bugs me the most. I keep wishing I fixed it. On the computer I edited that page on, it looked good - grrrrrrr!

one last thing, if you save color images like the credit page in png they'll look bad in the read online, i usually save that ones in jpg
    Heh - I did PNG8 conversion, with pngcrush, on all the pages and forgot to keep the color pages out of the converter's path - good catch! Thanks.

I've tried some more pages, and want to see what I need to work on:

Raw / cleaned

I tried to leave some of the blotchy white areas as it seems to be the artists style.

And another panel:
    raw
    1st clean
    version 2

How much under-text details do scanlators put back in (in general), considering that some will be covered by the translated text?

I was wondering about descreening the images - screening patterns are considered okay for HQ / MQ ? Or is HQ with screening removed?
    Last edited by Atevi; March 17, 2010 at 07:46 AM. Reason: adding pic, newer version

Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

on your new attempts: you can see there is a little blurrines where you erased.
    this is maybe beacause of some wrong setting with the tool or because you clicked many times, dragging is better for screens

i'm not really sure what you mean by descreening... if you mean to readraw all the greys that's useless with tanko raws, if you mean to erase all the greys... i'd ask "why?!" XD

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

on your new attempts: you can see there is a little blurrines where you erased.
    this is maybe beacause of some wrong setting with the tool or because you clicked many times, dragging is better for screens
    The second set, with the trees, I was still working on. Thanks for the tips though. (I'll see if I can replace the image above with a newer version).

i'm not really sure what you mean by descreening... if you mean to readraw all the greys that's useless with tanko raws, if you mean to erase all the greys... i'd ask "why?!" XD
    LINK: Descreening - removing the print media screen pattern - one method.
    I've seen some manga that didn't appear to have any screen effect, just shades of gray - as you say, they likely weren't tankos. I had been wondering if that's something some cleaners do.

Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Atevi View Post
    LINK: Descreening - removing the print media screen pattern - one method.
    I've seen some manga that didn't appear to have any screen effect, just shades of gray - as you say, they likely weren't tankos. I had been wondering if that's something some cleaners do.
    oh, now i see XD that tut can be really usefull sometimes but this is not the case
    anyway taking off the screening effects makes the mangas looks less real, some scanlation groups use filters like reduce noise or topaz to do that but the result is that the greys become like melted wax I don't really know how they can say they like it that way but if you ask me that's just LQ

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

oh, now i see XD that tut can be really usefull sometimes but this is not the case
    anyway taking off the screening effects makes the mangas looks less real, some scanlation groups use filters like reduce noise or topaz to do that but the result is that the greys become like melted wax I don't really know how they can say they like it that way but if you ask me that's just LQ
    Cool, thanks. I feel the same, I like the feel of printed pages the screening gives.

New Reply