Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 506 (2)
New Reply
Page 37 of 41 FirstFirst ... 27 35 36 37 38 39 ... LastLast

Thread: Gintama by Sorachi Hideaki

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted THM Nindo's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gintama by Sorachi Hideaki

This arc is hilarious!

Kagura is definitely one of my favorite character from the manga, and I especially like when her Yato origins are used in the plot, like when she lost control during the Yoshiwara arc.

It's nice to see that they make fun of the fact that they keep forgetting plot elements.
    Just like the Obi-Wan arc, where they just brought back the Dojo plot element from Otae!
    Last edited by THM Nindo; August 29, 2013 at 05:57 PM.

True love will conquer everything
    The question now is : which of those two loves, is the true one?!

Jiraiya's timeline : here
    Zetsu, the strongest villain of Akatsuki : here

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Utsune's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Chapter 457-459

Aaaah I'm dying from the inside lol....

Spoiler show

3. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Kya~ 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Doraku's Avatar
    Country
    Uganda
    Post Thanks / Like

So this new arc is going to be pretty serious. Finally after those mindless arc we get another meaty stuff again, and this new girl is an interesting new characters to be added.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah! A new serious arc, I love those!

And another great female character!
    I already like her!

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Utsune's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

464:
    "Hey, where are you touching...MRGIsDKGsdlf"
    I sense Tsukki battling out with Death Girl.
    And yes, I absolutely love her character design.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Totally agree.
    Her design is perfect!

I also like the new twist.
    Gintoki was part of the list!

I wonder if Katsura, Takasugi and Sakamoto are also on that list...

Light and Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member naruto-niichan's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Haha, Takasugi again? Now he's in an... ambivalent relationship with yet another "villain" again. Kamui, Sasaki and Nobunobu. On the other hand all of them seem to be against the Amanto Government, to a different extent. Not that I'm disappointed, I really enjoyed the arc, but I hope the next time we get the focus on one of them, instead of adding another "villain". Yet a serious Gintama arc rarely disappoints, so I guess I won't mind either way

Now that the arc is pretty much over, I'm curious to know what your guys favourite arc is? We Gintama fans need to stick together, so why not talk about a bit more than the actual chapter? o/

Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kewl0210's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, the Hitotsubashi faction has been in the last couple serious arcs. Also this Nobunobu guy was mentioned back at the end of the Oboro arc. I think it makes sense for the series to be progressing this way, with governmental stuff. It works in how Takasugi and the Kiheitai's goal is to "destroy everything and start anew" and he was trying to destroy the government.

We've only very slowly been getting information about a lot of this. And maybe Sorachi changed his mind on who he wanted to make important. Like only after making the Shogun a recurring character and such.

I'm wondering, though, at what point these things will come to more of a head, and start interacting with each other more. Sorachi tends to go in a "I'm telling a story, and it will slightly relate to an overall plot that's brewing". Like this arc had the executioners and stuff. The last Kamui arc a few years ago contributed to an overall arc, but most of it was just about Kamui taking over the Harusame. The Baragaki arc contributed the introduction of the Mimawarigumi, but mostly was about Tetsunosuke. That kinda thing.

10. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Uganda
    Post Thanks / Like

Man, if there is one thing I didn't expect, is the fact that Nobunobu is younger than I expected. The involvement of Takasugi in every serious arc sometimes baffle me, because I'm curious whether he's truly independent on his actions, or eventually just a mere puppet of much stronger side.

Yes, I'm also curious when all these serious arcs are going to fuse(?) together as a main plot line of the Manga. It's really difficult to tell because just like Kewl said, Sorachi's way of building the main plot line is kinda unusual, considering how long this Manga has been running. Maybe when Sorachi decides to write an arc sticking to the main story line, it will be really long and he is still waiting for the right moment to do so.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by naruto-niichan View Post
    Haha, Takasugi again? Now he's in an... ambivalent relationship with yet another "villain" again. Kamui, Sasaki and Nobunobu. On the other hand all of them seem to be against the Amanto Government, to a different extent. Not that I'm disappointed, I really enjoyed the arc, but I hope the next time we get the focus on one of them, instead of adding another "villain". Yet a serious Gintama arc rarely disappoints, so I guess I won't mind either way

Now that the arc is pretty much over, I'm curious to know what your guys favourite arc is? We Gintama fans need to stick together, so why not talk about a bit more than the actual chapter? o/
    Don't get me wrong, I like Gintama's humor (it's the funniest manga/anime that I've seen so far), but I just LOVE those serious arcs.

Although, this one wasn't as good as the previous ones.
    I guess, at least, the plot is moving forward.

I can't wait to see where this will all leads.

---------------

As for my favorite arc, it's the Yoshiwara arc.
    For many reasons that I might detail another time

More recently, the Suzuran arc was pretty great!

And I really loved the whole Kintoki arcs.
    Even though it wasn't really a serious one, the tone was still pretty serious by the end of it.

But, as far as funny arc goes, my favorite as to be the Memory Loss one.
    Even if it's just for "Mature Kagura!"

13. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Uganda
    Post Thanks / Like

Somehow I got trolled by Sorachi, I thought she really died there. Cool ending as usual, I hope Asaemon becomes a recurring character though.

---------- Post added November 21, 2013 at 04:31 PM ---------- Previous post was November 14, 2013 at 02:56 PM ----------

Oh yes, the body swapping troupe!

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member masgrande's Avatar
    Country
    Puerto Rico
    Post Thanks / Like

Those are some seriously sturdy bodies they have. I'm really looking forward to how the organizations transformed now that they change leaders.
    please click on them to help them grow.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

That's definitely going to be an hilarious arc!

Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Bomber D Rufi's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Incoming text explosion. Feel free to read or TL;DR if you want.

A word on Gintama’s 10 years.
    By Bomber D Rufi.

So here it is. 10 years of ball busting action, and before (or after?) the translation for this week, I’m putting this up for the world to read.

My feelings are mixed.

For one thing I had to rely on math to figure out how many years I’ve been translating this thing (It’s a little over 4 years BTW.) Considering that math and I get along as well as Hijikata and Gintoki, this was an arduous task I never want to repeat. While on that sentiment, I enter and end each week’s translation of Gintama with that exact sentiment. ‘An arduous task I never want to repeat.’ Yet week after week after week I’m repeating it. Through rain or shine, sickness and health I keep translating Gintama despite it causing me both metaphorical and physical (ripping your hair out over how to properly convey a Sorachi-ism counts. I dare you to tell me otherwise.) pain. Yet I still put aside a block of time on Wednedays (or Thursdays) to do it.

I guess I could one could say that Gintama is a part of my life now. It’s that granddad that I don’t particularly look forward to seeing but end up enjoying my time with when I go. It’s more to me than a simple pastime, but I don’t think I’d think of it as a necessity. I dunno. So why do I say my feelings are mixed when it’s pretty obvious I have a tsundere relationship with this series? I—it’s not like I like physical and mental pain each week! I—I just have no life okay?!

In all seriousness, as Sorachi celebrates a landmark in his work, I do too as I just finished my Graduate degree. 2 years of my own ball busting action as Sorachi celebrates 10. I’m not sure what the Gorilla will do to commemorate the event, but I think it’ll involve strippers, blackjack and copious amounts of cheesecake. Something like that.

10 years is a long time, but there are lots of things that are ten years old and don’t really matter much.

Should Gintama be celebrated for reaching a decade of existence?

I think not.

Gintama is well…a series for losers.

Now before you decide to boycott my translations, let me explain myself. Sorachi and his ragtag bunch of losers (yup I said it again) have carved a niche in a magazine…no a genre of storytelling that rewards it’s risk takers, the stupidly stubborn, and most of all the victorious. As the Luffys and Ichigos run ahead to get stuff done, Gintama’s in the back gasping for air asking for five more minutes. Yet I love it. Yet we love it. Yet Japan loves it. I believe that it’s because while not everyone knows what success feels like, we all definitely have an idea of what failure is. In that way It’s easy to identify with the Gintama characters and universe which hell, starts out in the middle of a slow decent into fail hell. The samurai have been defeated and lost their swords, funky aliens are doing whatever they want, and the main character is only slightly avoiding diabetes. Say what you want but this is definitely no One piece.

No one in Gintama is ashamed of their failures either. You’d find it easier to get Hijikata to lay off smokes than to get one of the Gintama characters to admit they’re wrong. Otose says it best during the Jirochou arc. ‘Stubborn, impudent, determined and inflexible.’ All qualities that we are often told to play down in our real life drudgery. Yet Sorachi makes that stubbornness…dare I say it noble. Inspiring even. The characters aren’t out to win, they’re out to live. That’s what we do too right? Just get through day to day hoping to do a little better each time around.

Though there are times where life works out just right, making a moment of pure existential beauty. A broken down umbrella shared with friends during the rainy season, your buds coming together and helping you write a love letter to a girl you just met, going to a festival in disguise just to be with the girl you like (and she discovering a new side of you because of it.) or even something as simple as a job well done that doesn’t get cosmically screwed over. Gintama relishes those moments, baring those pure human moments as a part of its comic tapestry. Those moments that the other shounen seem to be afraid of showing off in that we’d think less of them. Stories are moments neatly lined up to present a narrative, often omitting parts that may bore or not be as weighty as others. While that makes for good reading, is that art imitating life? Gintama is quite honestly at its best when it’s a hodgepodge of all of those omitted parts put together in a haphazard way. What another writer would balk at including is what Sorachi leads his ‘A’ game with, because what are we if not searching for the occasional success but having to settle for what’s in front of us? Finding beauty in the little things to keep from neurotically obsessing over all that’s ugly? ‘The best lives are those that are lived while getting a little dirty’.

What is also impressive is how Sorachi can take a weird premise and turn it into even weirder (and poigent) social commentary. Be it Kyuubee’s unhappiness (or happiness?) with her gender which lead into a whole arc about discovering oneself and how gender does not define happiness, or virtual game otaku being schooled in how love is accepting all those less than pleasant things about a person. His unflinching attack on what we take for granted is shocking, tantalizing and most of all hilarious if not at least a little true. While this translator can do with less love hotels, it’s still a point well taken. For a guy who calls himself a Gorilla he really seems to have an understanding of humans.

And that is why I think Gintama has such staying power. It’s just so very human. Aliens and weird creatures might dot the series, but it all has such underlying human undertones that people can get it without having to think hard about getting it. Humans want to focus on what feels good, on what they succeed in doing, without realizing that there was a whole lot of crap they had to wade through to get to that point. Gintama is that wading process that we all have done…the stride after the fall we hoped that no one saw. It too is stuck being a loser for a while and therefore doesn’t judge you for getting tired and just wanting to exist. Yet, when the time comes it’ll push you out the door and tell you to chase your dreams. It’ll be there when you need it, for the struggle, for the loss and everything in between. It’ll nonchaluantly offer it’s hand when you fall, and mooch off of you when you succeed. It’s that bad friend that everyone has (and if you don’t have one, check in the mirror. You’ll see them.) that always seems to have the most unhelpful advice when you least need it, but won’t leave you hanging.

I guess what all my rambling is trying to get at here is…

At some point in our lives we will know a ‘Gintama’. At some point we will be a Gintama. A person completely and utterly in love with success but living with normalcy, and finding out that the view is actually much better than we previously allowed. Maybe at some point we’ll get tired of the Gintamas we hang out with, and end up being a Gintama to someone else. Gintama doesn’t end when the end of chapter text appears…in fact you could say that’s really where Gintama begins, since it’s only after the madcap comedy or human drama has been consumed for the week that suddenly we realize that ‘Oh wait, that reminds me of when I….’

10 years. I guess this is the part where I say ‘I hope for 10 years more!’ but honestly even if I said that, we all know Gintama isnt’ going anywhere even after Sorachi has the final chapter of the series mercilessly yanked from his desk by his editors before he can finish inking it. It represents us at our worst hoping for the best. A generational piece that defies its generation and the one after that and the one after that and maaaaaaybe the one after that. Is it a movement? Nah. That’d require doing actual work, and we all know how losers feel about work.

Gintama just is. It puts its full effort into effortlessly being itself.

And frankly, despite the text hurting my feelings every week, I wouldn’t have it any other way.

10年空知先生のためにおめでとう!しかし、あまり言葉を使用してください.
    Current projects
    Gintama (Weekly)
    Saike Once Again (Weekly)
    Nejimaki Kagyuu (Weekly)
    Kiriwoterrible (Weekly)
    Hitoribocchi no shinrakusha (Monthly)
    Majimoji Rurumo (Monthly)
    Tenshi-chan & Akuma-kun (Monthly)

Requests Closed.
    requestsforrufi@gmail.com
    Read my writing here!
    http://alleycatcomics.pbworks.com/
    Now with 100% more plurk!
    http://www.plurk.com/BomberDRufi

18. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 5 Member(s) likes this post
    Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Bomber D Rufi's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaizou 10 View Post
    Is this some kind of assignment or something?
    No. I figured I'd say something as the translator for Gintama for the past 4 years since it's now 10 years old.
    Current projects
    Gintama (Weekly)
    Saike Once Again (Weekly)
    Nejimaki Kagyuu (Weekly)
    Kiriwoterrible (Weekly)
    Hitoribocchi no shinrakusha (Monthly)
    Majimoji Rurumo (Monthly)
    Tenshi-chan & Akuma-kun (Monthly)

Requests Closed.
    requestsforrufi@gmail.com
    Read my writing here!
    http://alleycatcomics.pbworks.com/