Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo
New Reply
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Most overhyped/overrated characters?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Most overhyped/overrated characters?

Quite simply, who do you all think are the most overhyped and/or overrated characters in bleach?
    Current Theories/Beliefs for Bleach:
    -Barragan and Halibel arn't goners yet-Confirmed
    -Ukitake has an absorb and redirect type shikai (think baby nel vs. Dardonii's cero)-Confirmed
    -The VL army/group that Aizen supposedly has doesn't exist-Pending/Waiting for confirmation on Wonderweiss
    -The Vizards have ulterior motives, by ulterior I mean they arn't just going to be goody-two-shoes and help out the SS that betrayed them just to get back at Aizen-Pending

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Most overhyped/overrated characters?

I think urahara is to some extent. I have no doubt he is a genius but I don't he him being capable of going toe to toe in a fight against aizen. IMHO he would fall just as easily as the other captains did should he fight him. I think his actual power level is somewhere in between byakuya and shunsui (which would already be a huge achievement). This does not include gadgets and stuff though just basic hand to hand combat, shunpo, speed, kendo and zampakuto abilities.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Razeus's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Me I would say Toshiro Histugaya. Now I don't hate the character I just feels he gets way to much exposure in the manga. Sure people labelled him as a prodigy since he is the youngest captain and their still room for him to grow ,but the main problem I have is that his powers are somewhat generic for my taste and a tad bit unbalanced.

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Urahara undoubtedly...People seem to think that he's above or even shown to be at the level of senior captains even though none of his feats seem to suggest this. To be honest he's probably the smartest in the manga but i doubt he's anywhere near the strongest... Also I hope that Isshin does not end up being overhyped. It would be such a shame for him not to be uber.

Country
    Tibet
    Post Thanks / Like

Ulquiorra.

He gets too much credit as someone who got curbstomped by Ichigo H2 who wasn't even trying. Stark and Barragan are much stronger characters with much better abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    I think urahara is to some extent. I have no doubt he is a genius but I don't he him being capable of going toe to toe in a fight against aizen.
    He doesn't have to go toe to toe with Aizen, he creates an arrancar artificial being like WW Nemu and can defeat Aizen by impairing him in some way. Don't underestimate the power of science and scientists in Bleach.
    Last edited by Gran Maestro; March 16, 2010 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

7. Thanks 6 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member conn-man's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

ulquiorra for sure gets to much hype, his level of abilities are perfectly reasonable for the 4th espada ranking. nnoitra was a physical powerhouse so just being above him would require a lot more strength. lanzela was very powerful but ulquiorra couldnt even hit a standing target with it, starks wolves have a mind of there own and seek a target out, way, way more dangerous, which explains why hes 3 ranks above ulquiorra.

9. Thanks 7 Member(s) thanked this post
    MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gran Maestro View Post
    He doesn't have to go toe to toe with Aizen, he creates an arrancar artificial being like WW Nemu and can defeat Aizen by impairing him in some way. Don't underestimate the power of science and scientists in Bleach.
    That is a different context to the one I speak of and I specifically pointed out I did not consider it. Tricks and gadgets could do something but in a straight fight with only the 4 basic shinigami arts and zampakuto abilities along with reiatsu the most likely outcome is an utter trashing to urahara just as with the other captains.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member El Samurai Guapo's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by conn-man View Post
    ulquiorra for sure gets to much hype, his level of abilities are perfectly reasonable for the 4th espada ranking. nnoitra was a physical powerhouse so just being above him would require a lot more strength. lanzela was very powerful but ulquiorra couldnt even hit a standing target with it, starks wolves have a mind of there own and seek a target out, way, way more dangerous, which explains why hes 3 ranks above ulquiorra.
    Yup. Ulquiorra is very overrated. Not that I really care so much about him, but this in turn has caused people to overrate "Ichigonator" as well.

I think Ichigo himself his the most overrated character of all. He's barely stronger than Grimmjow, yet people think he can hang with the captains? I made a comment on YouTube the other day on a bleach related video saying that Toshirou could easily defeat vizard Ichigo and I got like 20 thumbs down. I don't get, people get upset about Toshirou being displayed as reasonably powerful, but are okay with a 15 year old human becoming as strong as death gods which are centuries old?
    Last edited by El Samurai Guapo; March 16, 2010 at 02:32 PM.

12. Thanks 4 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member BaddAzzKenpachi74's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Ulquarra by FAR is the most overated.
    Ulquarra fans LOVE to think he is the strongest just because he has a segunda ressurrecion despite him haveing NO MANGA feats to support he is the strongest.
    he owned Vizard Ichigo who IMHO isn't even stronger then half the Gotei 13.
    he wasn't that impressive simple as that.
    like someone else said earlier he did GREAT "for his 4# rank" but not good enough to be considered the strongest.
    his most powerfull attack would be useless against the likes of Stark or even Barragan for that matter since he can't even aim the damn thing properly lol

Live for battle, enjoy every minute, death is the price u pay for a good battle, live to kill, no fear.
    by Kenpachi Zaraki
    . ("Discuss This" http://discussthis.freeforums.org/index.php

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Xerneas's Avatar
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree with the comments here. Especially kkck's. Urahara is so overrated its not even funny. Many people were/are expecting him to show up and take down Aizen. Gin, Unohana and Ulquiorra are very overrated too, but at least Ulq has some proper feats behind him, unlike those guys.

Country
    Tibet
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    That is a different context to the one I speak of and I specifically pointed out I did not consider it. Tricks and gadgets could do something but in a straight fight with only the 4 basic shinigami arts and zampakuto abilities along with reiatsu the most likely outcome is an utter trashing to urahara just as with the other captains.
    I know. I think most of the people who expect Urahara to do something remarkable take his scientific skills into account.

P.S. Why do you write "zampakuto" or "Kempachi"? Isn't it "zanpakuto" or "Kenpachi"?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member BaddAzzKenpachi74's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gran Maestro View Post
    I know. I think most of the people who expect Urahara to do something remarkable take his scientific skills into account.

P.S. Why do you write "zampakuto" or "Kempachi"? Isn't it "zanpakuto" or "Kenpachi"?
    we'll thats wut i'm taking into account whenever i say Urahara will come and wipe the smirk of Aizens face.
    that doesn't mean i think he is just going to show up and own Aizen with his abilities alone since he has no feats to suggest he is even close "powerwise" but as for a intellect and brains go he is IMHO above Aizen in that regard.
    wich is why i always consider the option that he will INVENT some form or way inorder to fight Aizen with his new invention

Live for battle, enjoy every minute, death is the price u pay for a good battle, live to kill, no fear.
    by Kenpachi Zaraki
    . ("Discuss This" http://discussthis.freeforums.org/index.php

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Exodi's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Ulquiorra, for sure.

Quote:
    "omgz he made a giant explosion in the sand. he's, like, TOTALLY the strongest arrancar EVAR. and he's so kawai~i~"

Unohana seems to be overhyped a little. I've even suggested she might be capable of destroying existence altogether.

And lately, everyone seems to think Gin is a secret mastermind of evil genius-ness.

18. Thanks 4 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I pretty much agree with all the ones said so far here (Ichigo, Ulq, Urahara, and Toushirou). Well, a little less with toushirou, I don't think he's overrated here (in fact, there are definitely some hitsu-haters around), I still just find it outrageous how he almost gets his ass kicked by Luppi yet manages to defeat Halibel, so I wouldn't call that overhyped or overrated, just rediculous how Kubo presents him.

Some others whom I think may be overrated/overhyped:

Stark: Yeah, so he's primera, so what, Yammi is stronger according to Aizen's rankings, so we know he isn't the strongest arrancar we have yet seen (WW might also be stronger than him, but WW just seems... unique). Everybody always points to the wolves and how they were so great, I disagree. We didn't see the limit of the wolves, yes, it defeated two captains in shikai, but that's two captains in shikai, bankai should be 5-10 times stronger. Sure, point to the fact that they're vizards, and I'll point to the fact that vizards havn't exactly been shown to be super strong, and the mask isn't showing to be a huge factor. Here, let me put it this way, both Love and Rose have an arbitrary power level of 100 when in shikai, let's be on the safe side and say that the mask gives them a 2x power boost (I highly doubt the mask gives them anywhere near 2x more power though), giving them both a power level of 200, and a combined power level of 400. Now, just one of them in bankai would be at a power level of 500-1000. Not to mention that fighting one strong opponent is no doubt tougher than two weaker opponents. So yes, I do think Stark deserves his spot at #1 (#2 overall counting Yammi), as he is intelligent, fast, has pretty good abilities, etc. But we didn't see the wolves ability pushed to its limit, thus we know it is strong enough to defeat two captains with mask and shikai, but we do not know how strong an opponent it would fail against. So yes, I think he is overhyped.

Shinji: Yeah, I got caught up in the vizard hype (hmm, former captains with 100+ years to train their vizard/mask abilities, sounds like they should be super strong), but then all of them pretty much failed to reach expectations in my opinion besides Hachi, and perhaps Kensei (although, since WW is now fighting (/ was fighting) Yama, it would be reasonable to assume that Kensei was defeated too. ). So when I look at the vizard discussion thread(s) and see people saying that they are disappointed in all the vizards but Shinji, I ask myself, why? What did Shinji do that was so impressive? He gave a papercut to Aizen? Oh right, then he received a blow with like 1000x in interest by Aizen just moments later, and he was owned yet again when Aizen used his absolute hypnosis to put Hinamori in his place. Like honestly, what has Shinji done that's so amazing? Then some people point to his shikai, what's so great about his shikai, Aizen's shikai can do all that SHinji's can, and much much more. If Aizen wants the opponent to have all backwards movement, he can make it seem to the opponent that they are making backwards moves, when indeed they are not, or something of that sort. Shinji's shikai would seem somewhat impressive if Aizen's did not exist, but that is not the case, and pretty much Aizen>Shinji in every possible way.
    Current Theories/Beliefs for Bleach:
    -Barragan and Halibel arn't goners yet-Confirmed
    -Ukitake has an absorb and redirect type shikai (think baby nel vs. Dardonii's cero)-Confirmed
    -The VL army/group that Aizen supposedly has doesn't exist-Pending/Waiting for confirmation on Wonderweiss
    -The Vizards have ulterior motives, by ulterior I mean they arn't just going to be goody-two-shoes and help out the SS that betrayed them just to get back at Aizen-Pending

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member El Samurai Guapo's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy01741 View Post
    Then some people point to his shikai, what's so great about his shikai, Aizen's shikai can do all that SHinji's can, and much much more. If Aizen wants the opponent to have all backwards movement, he can make it seem to the opponent that they are making backwards moves, when indeed they are not, or something of that sort. Shinji's shikai would seem somewhat impressive if Aizen's did not exist, but that is not the case, and pretty much Aizen>Shinji in every possible way.
    First of all, I think we all know that Aizen's shikai > Shinji's, but that doesn't stop sakanade from being the second most "hax" in bleach, so no, Shinji is not overrated, and neither are any of the other vizards.

If anything they're underrated. The vizards got owned by Aizen and now everyone is like "lolz vizerdz R fail!!!111" Well, guess what it was freaking Aizen. The same thing would happen to anyone else.

By the way, Shinji never cut Aizen's arm, it was all an illusion, which means Aizen didn't technically become accustomed to fighting inverted, he was just using his own superior hypnosis all along. Like Shinji said though, it's impossible to become accustomed to fighting inverted, because your reflexes will work against you. Basically, Shinji > everyone who isn't Aizen or Yamamoto.

21. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast