Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 515 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Best food/cooking manga

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Rei Ayanami's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Best food/cooking manga

Yakitate!! Japan for DBZ of cooking manga.

Toriko is more about exotic foods then cooking but it is DBZish

lolwat
    Last edited by Rei Ayanami; March 21, 2010 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Drmke's Avatar
    Country
    Casterly Rock
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best food/cooking manga

My favorite cooking manga (and in my opinion the best) is Bambino! Granted this is the only one I have ever read... Regardless, its still a great story and the characters are great as well. Don't know if its DBZ level, or for that matter, if any cooking manga has ever gotten popular enough to be considered "the DBZ of cooking manga".

OCCUPY THE WORLD

I got by Kaiten.
    <%M3J> Though I wouldn't mind Sari dominating me.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Akiyama's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I've only read 2 series that fall into this category and I will have the share the prize. For seinen it has to go to Addicted to Curry. A extremely funny series that has a serious plot. A pervy cook starts to work a curry restaurant and faces many problems. Along the way in search of finding his mentor, he gets the help of the owner's daughter.

For shonen, I'm going to pick Toriko. Warning, do not read this on an empty stomach. They do such a good job describing what the food tastes like and the drooling mouths doesn't help at all. Plus some cool fights here and there all over rare food makes this a great food manga.

Fruits Punch Samurai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted BBB Banana's Avatar
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Yakitate Japan is the only coocking manga I've read and I loved it. The overeactions of the caracters the lame but kind of funny puns this manga/anime is just epic.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member LilaChan's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Kitchen Princess is the best shoujo cooking manga (I have read). It had lovable characters even if the 'plot' is a bit unbelievable when 'that' happens. The food aspect was researched well and stayed simple enough for young children to understand. The art was pretty average for a shoujo manga unfortunately. It managed to write a purity sue into a belivable character, it averted serveral tropes despite the two main male characters are what you typically call 'the blonde prince guy' and 'the dark-hair tsundere guy'.

It was one of the shoujo manga that I really hoped for a morning anime adaption, unfortunately that didn't happen because the lack of magical toys to sell...Even Mamotte Lollipop had a TERRIBLE anime adaption...

I wanted a totally girly sigature...

MH's Most Friendly Member 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity destiny4ever's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Drmke View Post
    My favorite cooking manga (and in my opinion the best) is Bambino! Granted this is the only one I have ever read... Regardless, its still a great story and the characters are great as well.
    I have never read Bambino! (the manga) but I did watch a couple of episodes of the J-drama and I enjoyed it, it was a very cool and interesting series. I learned a lot of things about how the kitchen world works.
    Thank you so much for my cute avy GenjiChan!

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Bugzee's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

I started reading Addicted to Curry but I didn't really like it much. I might one day try one of the curry recipes from the manga though!

Bambino! Looks awesome! I'm definitely giving this one a try. This looks like a REAL seinen cooking manga. This is like a dream come true.

Scanlator 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Alan Smithee's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Bambino is more slice of life than cooking I think.

Addicted to curry is good, Yakitate Japan is brilliant too funny, over the top and like any other shonen action series except it's about bread.

Cooking series are painfully neglected by scanlators there are a few I would like to see. Food is great.
    Looking for Translators for various (all wonderful I promise) Seinen and Shounen projects PM me.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Sensei 12's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Bambino is magic!! A masterpiece about italian cooking (LOL, I'm italian ) and sacrifice.

Addicted to curry is not bad, but I have read until the 6th volume. I'm wondering what happens in more than 30 volumes about the curry. It seems too long for a cooking manga.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner chan-chan's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Yakitate is the only one I've read. It's pretty entertaining with all the puns and parodies. Some of the puns are quite hard to understand for non-Japanese to understand though..

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member -Ken-'s Avatar
    Country
    Thailand
    Post Thanks / Like

Toriko is good, but I count it more of a fighting manga than a cooking or food manga.

I'll say Tetsunabe no Jan, that manga is totally awesome. The R! version is good, but the first version is the best. It's about a cook who hold the ideal 'Cooking is dueling' so he'll do anything it take to win. It's just plain awesome.
    Most of the thing I post is probably assumption if it's not a fact that I support using some evidence from the manga.

If you knows you're on my ignore list and you quote my post, there's high chance I would ignore you. Or answer you and not look at your response.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member fullmoon's Avatar
    Country
    Vietnam
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow Re: Best food/cooking manga

Cooking manga hum? I only read Yakitate!! Japan but I have to admit this is a great series: great drawing, kinda weird but thatz make its more funny, oh.. many recipes too (I did try some of those already ).
    Even though this is not really my fav type of manga, I bought the whole series when its released in my country

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Niirouge's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Yakitate Japan! all the way!

The food looks good enough for me to want to just eat the paper...
    And I love the silly/witty puns and reactions when someone eats the almighty bread *drools*

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

A long time ago, I really enjoyed reading Hoppe ni Chuubo. The plot had the usual shoujo tropes (a love interest, a rival etc.) but the food that were featured looked really good! In the tankoubons, they had series of recipes based on the food that the protagonist made. They're pretty easy to make. I remember I made the rice soup and brownie.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

In my point of view, Kitchen Princess and Yumeiro Patissiere are one of the best cooking shoujo manga I ever read...

New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast