Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 595 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Natsume Yuujinchou by MIDORIKAWA Yuki

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Natsume Yuujinchou by MIDORIKAWA Yuki

Natsume Yuujinchou (Natsume's Book of Friends)
    By: MIDORIKAWA Yuki
    Genre: Fantasy, Supernatural
    Serialized In: LaLa
    Scanlated By: Transcendence and Ashitaka x Taiyou
    RTS

Natsume's just an ordinary kid, except he can see spirits just like his grandma Reiko could. Reiko used to bully the spirits and bound them to her will in the "Book of Friends". Now that Natsume has inherited this book, a never-ending stream of spirits is coming after him to retreive their names from the Book. With the help of a spirit "cat" (who says he just wants Natsume to die so he can have the book), Natsume spends his days dissolving the contracts that bind the spirits and trying not to get killed.

An unbelievable, genre transcending manga. Natsume is a modern fairy tail about loneliness, isolation, finding people to love, and learning to trust them. Comparable to Mushishi in rich, vibrant beauty and depth while appearing to be a simple story. A must read for all manga fans and one of my favorite series of all time. Adapted into an equally brilliant anime.
    Last edited by Kaiten; March 22, 2010 at 07:43 PM.

2. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: [Shoujo] Natsume Yuujinchou by MIDORIKAWA Yuki

Love your summary! I just got into this series again. It's so imaginative and inspiring; and it's nice to see that mangahelpers has scans and translations past chapter 22.

I won't spoil anyone but I am liking Natori more and more the more I read. (can we link to spoilers on chinese forums here?)
    Visit "Hijutsu Forums" for fans of Nabari No Ou
    Link

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Chinese raws are welcome as long as they are in spoiler tags or linked too

I like Natori a lot. He seemed a bit sinister in the beginning, as he's grown into Natsume's mentor/benefactor he's really grown on me. His questioning of Natsume's loyalties, human or ayakashi, has been very interesting. The more they spend time together the more Natsume seems to learn to trust people. I like Taki a lot too; a really interesting, recurring girl is a welcome change.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Okay, well there are spoiler images from 41 at the end of this thread on Baidu boards-
    Link

There are a few english spoilers on the second page of the thread. It looks like it is some sort of NatoriXNatsume group because it also has pictures, fanfiction, doujins and videos of them.

The two characters that make the largest impression on me after the anime are Matoba and Natori. I think the arc that begins at chapter 23 would make a good movie. You really feel like you are going on this journey with Natsume that is quite dark and deep and facinating.

Edit: Chapters 24 and 25 apear to be scanlated

Second Edit- 41 is up and translated here...yahoo!
    Last edited by gorbal; April 10, 2010 at 08:15 AM.
    Link

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Elleian's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

It's a pretty good read thanks for the rec. Though I'm a tad more interested in Reiko and her bullying days.. lol

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Albiore's Avatar
    Country
    Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

I have to read it. I've seen the anime before, but i have only read one or two chapters of the manga :/...
    Con miedo de partir y de quedarme...

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Midnightthief's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I really enjoyed the anime when i first watched it and then i found out about the manga. I'm so happy that the manga actually continues the anime.
    Become one with your inner thief.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

I just stumbled upon this manga thanks to the shout-out. It is slow and contemplative, but I'm hooked I like how Natsume accidentally gathers ayakashi around him, gaining notoriety in the spirit world, while 'professionals' treating them like servants don't even come close

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

So has anyone read chapter 26? I'm curious what people think about the first arc after the anime ends.

It is like the whole mood changed when Matoba enters the picture; a little more like a mystery I guess. He is so dynamic a character; I love that he exists.

Spoiler show
    Link

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner chan-chan's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Yup... just finished reading volumes 7/8/9...

Motoba is quite an interesting character. He's the direct opposite of Natsume. And Natori is like the balance between both of them.

Spoiler show

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Midnightthief's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh yes i think it is getting very interesting. I would like to know what Matoba is planning to do with Natsume.
    Become one with your inner thief.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

We were having an interesting coversation on livejournal on whether or not Natsume might be part Youkai or have Youkai ancestry deep in his family tree, like some historical Japanese figures do. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
    Link

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Hamy's Avatar
    Country
    Hong Kong
    Post Thanks / Like

Hm... somehow I am doubtful of that given how its been so far with Youkai and humans, that even if they wish to be together its not as if they could really touch one another (and this extends beyond Natsume Yuujinchou to the authors other one shot which I can't remember since manga fox removed it >:E when its not even licensed! Wherein the heroine could only touch the boy revived by a youkai at the time he had to pass on.) In fact that would be the pain of such chapters as the Tsuyokami, firefly, swallow, and sakura painting chapter (more recently chapter 43 with Taki's grandfather). Youkai do wish to be with people but in the end its a distance that cannot be entirely crossed except at end of the tunnel.

Of course we do see those with powers capable of grasping them but then again that would of course be something prior to containing any youkai blood. Besides I don't see Midorikawa Yuki, based on her previous works, of going down that route (she doesn't really delve on the root of the power as she focuses on how such power/characteristic/talent may isolate a person from others). In fact that is the issue with people who see and touch youkai is they're outcasts. After all they can touch youkai but essentially they are human and there are limitations to them being together, and well though they are humans they see something normal humans can't and are ostracized. So you have these people who don't belong anywhere entirely (simply put they have different needs), unless they choose a side either with youkai or with humans. Choosing to side with both, as Natsume does, is difficult because in the end he can't openly reveal his secret and also he chooses the option that tries to conciliate both sides.

The Natsume's just seem to have freakishly strong power and that is about it. Then again they don't seem to be fully aware how to utilize it like say the other exorcists.
    Last edited by Hamy; June 29, 2010 at 12:54 AM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

*just read ch30*
    wow, after all that's happened to him Natsume should be completely messed up. this new ayakashi is some sort of sadistic freak :/ I liked what Natsume says about his 'servilistic attitude' - anything is fine by him and he never makes a fuss. Kinda sad....

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Although I haven't read the manga yet (sorry i didn't find the anime thread if it exist), I finished season 3 yesterday. I wanted to know how was the anime wrt manga ? Does it follow the chronology or is it random chapters ?
    I really like the pace of the story and it remind me of mushishi.

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast