Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/14/14 - 4/20/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by kewl0210
New Reply

Thread: Rank the monster trio attacks

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity weixiaobao's Avatar
    i am reside within a creature that is bias
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Rank the monster trio attacks

I am mostly interest in Luffy, but feel free to comment on Zoro and Sanji.

Spoiler show

In general which is stronger? Gear 2 or Gear 3? Jet Rifle vs Giant Rifle

Rank Thor Elephant Gun, Grizzly Magnum (Canon), Elephant Gatling (Gatling), Red Hawk, (assume these are also haki imbued) Giant Rifle, Storm, Rain, Bowgun, Buzzsaw, Snake Shot, etc.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member eefrit's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rank the monster trio attacks

This'll be an interesting topic.

Let's see...while I personally like Gear 2 more, I'd think Gear 3 would be the stronger of the two. An apt comparison would most likely be a bullet vs. a train or a wrecking ball. Both can damage you, but the train or wrecking ball has more weight behind it. Gear 2 is more impact based, I guess? I can't really explain my reasoning as well as I'd like to. Like...Gear 2 is a speedy snapping punch, while Gear 3 can deliver a super large and weighty pushing punch. Yeah, let's go with that.

Jet Rifle vs. Gigant Rifle? Aside from the Rifle moves already being my favorite techniques, I'd say that, again, Gigant Rifle is the stronger of the two techniques.

I really should be doing homework, so I'm just going to rank my personal top 5.

0. Elephant Red Hawk Gatling Rifle(I wish)
    1. Elephant Gatling
    2. Haki imbued Elephant Storm/Rain
    3. Thor Elephant Gun
    4. Red Hawk
    5. Snake Shot

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eefrit View Post
    0. Elephant Red Hawk Gatling Rifle(I wish)
    1. Elephant Gatling
    2. Haki imbued Elephant Storm/Rain
    3. Thor Elephant Gun
    4. Red Hawk
    5. Snake Shot
    Is that also your opinion on the strongest? Pre gear wise, it seemed people are saying Storm is the strongest attack. Which is better though, Gattling or Canon or Rifle? I wonder how those three who hold off against Snake Shot (I am talking about just regular attack)?

Preskipped wise, he did beat Moria with Gigant Jet Shell (I believe that the first time we saw gear stacking).

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmm, hngg, stop making me think so hard about this!

JK, but yeah, that's pretty much my list. Thinking about it now, you're correct about Storm. With the added propulsion plus Gear 3rd would give it a good amount of power. I went with Elephant Gatling though, because it looked like he was using Gear 2 along with it.

I personally like Rifle more than Gatling (By a hair) and Cannon, but the strongest out of those three is probably Cannon, in terms of sheer power. Snake is an interesting thing. I don't think it's be fair to compare it to Gatling and Cannon. I guess you could say it's a type of piercing move, similar to Rifle, but more controlled. If he had equipped Haki to it, that might have rendered Hody immobile for some time.

I thought about Shell, but I think that's practically what Elephant Gun is now. It most likely is stronger with Haki equipped, but I think it's too unwieldy.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, gear 2 vs gear 3 is basically an argument of speed vs strength. Gear 2 increases luffy's speed and as a result of that speed has increased attack power so to speak. In turn gear 3 increases luffy's mass and area of effect which results in an attack which is larger, hard to avoid and hits like a brick. I think there is something of a pattern here. Luffy usually uses his gear 2 at the start of combat and sustains it. In turn gear 3 is more of a finishing move. It makes sense. Gear 3 would perhaps hamper his speed so it would not be the best of ideas to use it when the enemy has all of his mobility. So it makes sense to use it when the enemy is about to use a similarly big flashy attack so as to finally overpowered him (as he has done most of his fights so far) and win. In turn gear two is perhaps ideal for strategic fighting and keeping up with the enemy.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eefrit View Post
    I personally like Rifle more than Gatling (By a hair) and Cannon, but the strongest out of those three is probably Cannon, in terms of sheer power.
    Caesar Clown tank a version of cannon, barely. But I gave it to him because he was conscious moment later. Don Chinjao tank Thor Elephant. Hody survive an elephat gatling. I have some trouble think Caesar Clown has more defense than Hody Jones.

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    In turn gear two is perhaps ideal for strategic fighting and keeping up with the enemy.
    Very nice insight, even preskipped, Gear Luffy seemed to be a bit stronger than Lucci if he can maintain it the whole time. Gear 3 could destroyed Lucci except Lucci actually had a much easier time dealing with it (I think) due to restriction on Luffy's mobility. Any character with decent speed and observation haki would probably like to deal with Gear 3 Luffy rather than Gear 2 Luffy. But I must Gear 3 Luffy is probably the most improved post time skipped compare to gear 2. He is able to have much better mobility, transition, and speed of attack.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by weixiaobao View Post
    Caesar Clown tank a version of cannon, barely. But I gave it to him because he was conscious moment later. Don Chinjao tank Thor Elephant. Hody survive an elephat gatling. I have some trouble think Caesar Clown has more defense than Hody Jones.
    I though Ceasar just "tanked" a Bazooka? Cannon is the one where Luffy continuosly punches nothing "charging" up before releasing all of the momentum. Don didn't really tank Thor Elephant, he was knocked out. Same with Hody and Elephant Gatling. Tanking would mean that they'd get right back up after getting hit. Hody tanked Red Hawk. Crocoboy tanked Jozu's Brilliant Punk. Ceasar probably doesn't, but he had the extra mass of the gas he absorbed, so that may have took some of the "sting" off.
    Last edited by eefrit; October 01, 2013 at 06:30 PM.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmm I didn't think about the gas part lol, so where is the bazooka stand within the Luffy's move set?

I am a bit puzzle about Don Chinjao, he could very well tank that base on power scaling. But I think his head (as much as it is a strong point) is also a weakness, all of the force of impact focus in one position is very deadly. And it right on his head too. Though, this is pure speculation, but I do think Don Chinjao can tank it if he took it chest on.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member jimtors's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Gear 2 has always been so epic for me.. Remember when he defeated that pacifista on shabondy?? That was so epic!
    So i guess in real fight his strongest technique is gear 2, it is the most reliable... ^__^

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

How about Sanji, guys?? What moves should he have unless on the like of Doflamingo and Vergo? Was he holding back some of his stronger moves?

Banned 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by weixiaobao View Post
    How about Sanji, guys?? What moves should he have unless on the like of Doflamingo and Vergo? Was he holding back some of his stronger moves?
    Sanji clearly underestimated Vergo thats main reason why black legs thinner leg bone gotten cracked.
    To explain before I will get into Sanjis attacks - two kicks with DJ landed on Vergo and sended him flying. Rest of the exchange was without DJ effect(I think its Sanjis use of CoA haki), also Vergo basically was shown on this panel

to cover all of his skin with CoA to protect himself from Laws DF power- so presumably his legs are also covered with black CoA. I think that he used that CoA hardening when he cracked Sanjis leg. Sanji was shown after sending him flying to have hand in pocket, smoking a cig and talking instead of avoiding heavy kick(Sanji is said by Oda to be best at CoO out of strawhats).
    Beside if this or Spectre attack from last chapter would have landed on Vergo it surely would affect him if just one DJ(fire just on foot not entire leg like in Premiere Hachis) to the head made him bleed.
    Its easy to compare just by looking at those attacks how serious Sanji was attacking Doflamingo to what he used against Vergo(on panels that we have seen).

As for Sanjis attacks- of course Oda is holding him back, first time with underestimating Vergo, second time with giving him as enemy Doflamingo who is close in strength to Admiral.
    Show off of new attacks should be close enough- when Sanji will fight one of Doflamingos top seats- most probably Trebol.

As for attacks that we have seen till now after time skip strongest one is of course Hell Memories but still its not absolute top of what Sanji has up in his arsenal IMO as there should be something stronger than base DJ like hotter version of it- blue one would be amazing and it might be possible as currently Sanji doesnt need to spin around to go into DJ attacks so with spinning? Who knows.

Second attack after Hell Memories is IMO Bien Cut Grill Shot

Its like Luffys Elephant Gun(to compare it somehow to others from monster trio) and it seems that all of the heat from it is transfered to enemy when kick connects.

After it we have Premier Hachis, next would be Flange Strike.

This attack for me is equall to Luffys CoA Jet Gattling

Aaaand to add to all that was posted I do think that Sanji has some ranged attacks like ones that CP9 had used but also with added fire.
    Why I think that?
    Mostly because of what Lucci was shown to do with his fingers

Sanji needs ranged attack and bigger version of what Lucci was capable of doing would be pretty badass and very useful in fights with enemies like Doflamingo- the ones who can kill you easier when you are close to them.

Also EVEN CHOPPER was shown to have ranged attack

aaand in this chapter - here - and here

Sanji was kept off panel so I think that he having some nasty long range move might be one of revelations for end of this arc.
    Last edited by vagabond87; October 09, 2013 at 10:00 AM.

12. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmm, range attack is a possibility. But I am still impress that Sanji was able to blitz Doflamingo like that. (probably post a longer response later)

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member zelllogan's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Sanji should be able to use rankyakku. He never showed it but it should be easy for him to do it.

New Reply