Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 601 by BadKarma , Gintama 515 (2)
New Reply
Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Bessatsu Shonen Magazine

Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Bomber D Rufi's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bessatsu Shonen Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by kewl0210 View Post
    The thing is I'm almost completely without any free time every week. On a weekly basis I work on the Toriko and Gintama manga (Translating Gintama takes all day or most of multiple days each week on its own. Toriko I'm translating and typesetting and that's usually all I can get done in a day) plus the Toriko anime and Kingdom anime. Also Billy Bat at the moment, which is going to go on hiatus in I think 2 weeks. I have like 5~ long-term project I work on when I'm not doing that. I've got 15 chapters left in Hito Hitori Futari to do which I'm trying to finish because that series is ended. Also Innocent Volume 2 just came out so I have that to do. Also I'm trying to do a back volume+1 chapter of Gintama for about a year now. The other projects I'm doing are 81 Diver (27 more volumes so far), 3-Gatsu no Lion (6 more volumes so far, and I need to somehow get the group back to being active), Omoni Naitemasu (9 volumes, same thing.) and the Jojo novels I'm kinda doing in my free time. And Wolfsmund (whenever) and Real (Next volume comes out in November). After that, there's doing HQ volumes of Gintama and Toriko we originally did as magazine issues and also Ring and Seikimatsu Leader Den Takeshi.

Primarily the problem with this project has been a lack/consistency of help. I have a big google doc spreadsheet denoting who did what and when, over a period of years so I don't lose track and so I can assign new people the next task quickly. And except for me and a cleaner that's done about 6 volumes and a couple other small exceptions, we've had a different person doing each task on each volume. Including checking/editing. So basically I need to go through it to find inconsistencies and trying to make the typesetting look remotely similar or at least all up to par. Making sure nothing's over or under leveled, etc. And I don't even really know how to clean. But I don't have anybody else to work on it, so I just need to make time.
    I can vouch for how long it takes to translate Gintama. You never realize how long 19 (or well 17 now) pages can be until Sorachi gets his paws on them. That's why it essentially takes two translators (kewl and myself) to get through a Gintama chapter each week. Add in the fact that you have to pretty much research every other sentence in that manga and you've got a project that can take two to three days to fully complete...each week.
    Current projects
    Gintama (Weekly)
    Saike Once Again (Hiatus)
    Nejimaki Kagyuu (Ended)
    Kiriwoterrible (Weekly)
    Hitoribocchi no shinrakusha (Monthly)
    Majimoji Rurumo (Monthly)
    Tenshi-chan & Akuma-kun (Ended)

Requests Closed.
    requestsforrufi@gmail.com
    Read my writing here!
    http://alleycatcomics.pbworks.com/
    Now with 100% more plurk!
    http://www.plurk.com/BomberDRufi

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member vinceled's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber D Rufi View Post
    I can vouch for how long it takes to translate Gintama. You never realize how long 19 (or well 17 now) pages can be until Sorachi gets his paws on them. That's why it essentially takes two translators (kewl and myself) to get through a Gintama chapter each week. Add in the fact that you have to pretty much research every other sentence in that manga and you've got a project that can take two to three days to fully complete...each week.
    Wow seeing kewl0210 and you say this about Gintama feels scary. I never tried looking at raws for Gintama but I feel I should even if only once to see just how much words it has (not that I'd understand though with my very low Japanese experience.)

Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Bomber D Rufi's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vinceled View Post
    Wow seeing kewl0210 and you say this about Gintama feels scary. I never tried looking at raws for Gintama but I feel I should even if only once to see just how much words it has (not that I'd understand though with my very low Japanese experience.)
    Don't be fooled. Reading it is completely different than translating it. One might be fooled into thinking 'it's not that bad!' but it is. Trust me. If Sorachi weren't really good with dialog I'd run screaming from that manga every week. (I more whimper each week when I read through the raw pre-translation.)

Though to stay on topic here, I'm sad to see Dobutsu come to an end. Though I really need to catch up on the past chapters so I can really appreciate the story. It's also interesting that Isayama has said he'd end Shingeki within 20 volumes....though lets see if he'll be able to keep that estimation.
    Current projects
    Gintama (Weekly)
    Saike Once Again (Hiatus)
    Nejimaki Kagyuu (Ended)
    Kiriwoterrible (Weekly)
    Hitoribocchi no shinrakusha (Monthly)
    Majimoji Rurumo (Monthly)
    Tenshi-chan & Akuma-kun (Ended)

Requests Closed.
    requestsforrufi@gmail.com
    Read my writing here!
    http://alleycatcomics.pbworks.com/
    Now with 100% more plurk!
    http://www.plurk.com/BomberDRufi

Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kewl0210's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I mean, I could be wrong, but I can't think of any foreshadowing that hasn't been resolved yet. Except the ancient deer guy and what happens with Jyu and his motives. I mean maybe some new thing'll happen when this battle's over, who knows. There's still some stuff left to do just this kinda comes off as very "final bad-guy" ish as well.

And yes, Gintama is hard. A lot of the time I don't have time to go through Rufi's translation as well so we just use mine. I'm trying to find time to do that though. I prefer to try to use the best parts of each one. But like I said I don't really have the time. I worked on it from 8PM to 2AM yesterday doing this week's with only a few short breaks in between. And that was only 17 pages, last week's was 19 pages if you count the color page and ad. The chapters being slightly shorter recently is nice. Realize this stuff is what we're doing while working full time jobs or else in school full time and working jobs.
    Last edited by kewl0210; September 24, 2013 at 03:40 PM.

6. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member MattC302's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm kind of glad that Doubutsu no Kuni is wrapping up soon. I can't know for sure, but I have a feeling that it sells like garbage in the U.S. It only made the NYTBSL once, I've never seen it on the Diamond or Bookscan lists, nobody(except me) talks about it on the manga blogosphere, they slowed the release frequency to every 5 months and Kodansha USA never promotes it on there Twitter or Tumblr account. If it went above 20 volumes, I wouldn't be surprised if Kodansha USA stopped releasing it, which would crush me.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm still hoping they make an anime. It sells as well as Aku no Hana. And a lot better than a bunch of series that run in Bessatsu Shounen Magazine. Plus it won the Koudansha Manga Award. Anyhow, I'm really gonna try to get that done. At least the parts I can do, in the next couple weeks.

Banned 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Isayama Hajime (author of Shingeki no Kyojin) appeared in NOTTV (a broadcast for smartphone); from that program, he commented that he wants to conclude Shingeki no Kyojin as soon as possible and he already has his next project in his mind. So, I think this comment has strengthen for Shingeki no Kyojin going to end by volume 20.

10. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

actually i love that he has a set end in mind and does everything to write a short and compact story, without adding unnecessary stuff. seeing is blockbuster success i have no doubt his next work will get a green light as fast as you can spell "moneymaker"

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Oberon's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

BSM #11 Cover:

---------- Post added October 10, 2013 at 05:02 PM ---------- Previous post was October 05, 2013 at 01:19 PM ----------

Betsumaga #11 (09/10):
    Maotometachi no Eden (Lead Color Page, New Series, 57 pg.)

Mabinogi
    Sonna Mirai wa Uso de Aru
    D.D.D. (Color Page)
    Doubutsu no Kuni
    Arslan Senki
    Daisuki Imura-san!
    Shuukan Shounen Girl (Special Chapter from Magazine SPECIAL)
    Komori-chan wa Yaruki o Dase (Color Page)
    Shingeki no Kyojin (Cover)

Shingeki! Kyojin Chuugakkou
    Nakamura Koedo to Daizu Eryou wa Umaku Ikanai
    Shinsekai yori (Double Chapter)
    Fujimi Lovers
    Aku no Hana
    Slime-san to Yuusha Kenkyuubu (Double Chapter)
    Houkago Sword Club
    Daidai wa, Hantoumei ni Nidonesuru (Bimonthly Series)
    Macmillian Koukou Joshi Koushiki Yakyuubu
    Diabolo no Soup (Double Chapter, 59 pg.)
    Nemuri no Fuchi
    Tanoshikatta bai Betsumaga Kanshasai! (One Shot)
    Yozakura Quartet - Bangaihen (Special Chapter from Shonen Sirius)

Gringo 2061
    Baby Worldend (End)
    Coulomb Fille
    Seisen Cerberus - Mou Hitori no Eiyuu (End)
    Kimi o Mawashitai。
    Shougi no Watanabe-kun
    Half&half (Absent)
    Mahou Shoujo WEB (Absent)
    Sankarea (Absent)

#12:
    Cover: Doubutsu no Kuni
    Lead CP: Abyss by Ryuuhaku Nagata (New Series, 44 pg.)
    CP: Arslan Senki, Tortoise Delivery by Aki Shimizu (New Series, 64 pg.)

13. Thanks 6 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

For anyone wondering, the end of this month's Doubutsu no Kuni explicitely says "Next month, heading into the final act."

15. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I can sense that the editors for BSM (or Kodansha, itself) are really eager to find a next Shingeki no Kyojin.

MangaHelper MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Leoat12's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaizou 10 View Post
    I can sense that the editors for BSM (or Kodansha, itself) are really eager to find a next Shingeki no Kyojin.
    Seems like it, they are starting too much new series lately. However, success like SnK is very rare, is very hard to find. Isayama said that Shingeki is going to finish around volume 20, I really doubt about this, but it's better BSM have a success until there. It'll be a long search...

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Leoat12 View Post
    Seems like it, they are starting too much new series lately.
    Not because of new series, many BSM series released special chapter in WSM lightly. It is like WSM releasing the special chapter for BSM for every week.

MangaHelper MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Leoat12's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaizou 10 View Post
    Not because of new series, many BSM series released special chapter in WSM lightly. It is like WSM releasing the special chapter for BSM for every week.
    I see. Maybe they have this intention with so many special chapters, but I don't think that is has any big weight in the public...

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Leoat12 View Post
    I see. Maybe they have this intention with so many special chapters, but I don't think that is has any big weight in the public...
    The main thing that triggered Shingeki no Kyojin became well known in the public is the special chapter which was released in WSM. After that, SnK's sale was boost into about current AC's current tank sale.

New Reply
Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast