Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 754 by cnet128 , Bleach 590 by cnet128 , Gintama 504 by Bomber D Rufi
Thread Closed

Thread: How did Luffy's guard drop?

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

How did Luffy's guard drop?

as the title says, i was wondering how aikanu caught luffy by surprise, although its drawn in chapter 573 on pages 14-15 specifically i really cant understand what happened in the space of a few pictures, can anyone explain what the main reason for luffy's lack of awareness of what is happening around him on the battlefield?

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How did luffy's gaurd drop?

I don't understand the question

as you can see in the panel above jimbei noticed luffy is at his limits plus luffy was picking up Ace's Vivre Card. Another question is what was luffy supposed to do? He wasn't gear 2 mode to dodge and Fire or in this case could be seen as natural opponent to rubber.

last but not least the most important point: Ace would have protected Luffy in any case simply to protect his lil beloved Brother.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How did luffy's gaurd drop?

my question is why isnt luffy paying attention to his surroundings , and allowed aikanu to surprise him? if you look at the bottom left panel you can see luffy's face "surprised" that he is being attacked.

my question is why is he suprised? is it because he is tired or does dropping the vivre card and trying to pick it up got something to do with it?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member bittman's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How did luffy's guard drop?

How do you put up a guard when you've been running on nothing more than adrenaline for 5 hours?

I don't know about you, but when I get physically wasted and feel like I can't stand, usually the arms are the first things that drop.

Seemed to me that when Luffy fell he couldn't even stand, but he did want to pick up Ace's card before leaving anyway.

You could also argue that Luffy believes Ace is many leagues above his own strength and holds somewhat of an admiration to his older brother. So when an admiral turns up, Luffy basically believed Ace would hold him off.

And on the other flip side, you could just say that Akainu is a bit faster than a slug and it went something like this:
    1) Luffy falls
    2) Akainu pounces on fallen Luffy
    3) Ace gets fisted

Luffy may be fast, but he's not some dragonballZ saiyan with instant transmission. Akainu didn't trangress to some sort of inner monologue. It was basically a follow up attack on someone who had already fallen from fatigue.

Sorry readers: taking a break from my One Piece reviews. Though I love doing them, One Piece Reviews are actually not near the top of my to-do list. Perhaps one day I'll return and do them properly.

Spoiler: My one current One Piece prediction show

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Uriel's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How did Luffy's guard drop?

Plot device
    The Sky is pouring
    The wind is blowing
    The sea looks red,
    a surging sea of flames
    looks like the entrance to hell