Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/22/14 - 9/28/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 761 by cnet128 , Bleach 597 (2) , Gintama 511 by kewl0210
New Reply

Thread: Question for all scanlators

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Question for all scanlators

I currently translate for Dark Towers but my friend and I are having problems with fans for a certain series.
    We recently dropped a series due to licensing but the reaction of the fans were kind of unexpected for us. We had emails sent to us calling us pathetic for dropping a series due to licensing and we are constantly blamed for their country not selling the series. People keep posting on our shoutbox to continue and don't seem to get our reasoning for dropping a series.
    So, we were wondering if any of the other Scanlation sites are having the same kinds of problems, and if you are, how do you deal with this?

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member progste's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question for all scanlators

i don't really know your sitation neither what series you're talikng about but i know that if you're doing a work for free is up to you to decide if stop it or continue, so they can't blame you if you decided to stop they have to respect yuor decision.
    if you continue to answer to them they'll continue to complain, the only thing to do in my opinion is to ignore them if they keep annoying you

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner dosetsu's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

You make a statement. You start banning and ignoring them. In fact, remove all forms of contact that allows them to harass you.

Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dosetsu View Post
    You make a statement. You start banning and ignoring them. In fact, remove all forms of contact that allows them to harass you.
    Unfortunately, out site doesn't have a forum or anything so we can't really ban. The only way they can contact us is through the shoutbox and our email and we kind of need both to solve other problems

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member progste's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

you could try to write clearly on your home page "we are not doing X series for X reason and we don't have any intention to start doing it again, please understand our reasons" or something similar...

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Your fans are probably a little spoiled by all of the groups that translate manga whenever they get picked up.

However, you do this work for your fans, and unless you've actually been paid for it, the only people you guys are obligated to do it for is yourselves.

In the end, you did the right thing. If your fans can't accept that, well. That's their own issue, then. They'll eventually stop begging.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member mote's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The vast majority of readers would understand that you have a legitimate reason for dropping the series. The fact that you have a large minority of whiners just means you must be popular. Take it as a compliment and move on

Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you everyone for your replies, it's nice to know we didn't do something completely wrong.
    But it seems like none of you really had the same type of situation... maybe it was the vast number of fangirl readers that did it :|

Scanlator 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member [Ju-Ni]Vicissitude's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

My group's working on Bleach and it's licensed. But it's not like we're going to stop anytime soon.

Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by [Ju-Ni]Vicissitude View Post
    My group's working on Bleach and it's licensed. But it's not like we're going to stop anytime soon.
    ya, well that's because it's Bleach. Viz will probably take time to catch up and it's super major, I don't know how many groups are translating it so I don't think it really matters. The series we were doing was kind of minor.

Scanlator 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Name-Undecided's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

An easy way to shut the fans up would've been to ask them to put their money where their mouths were. Next time put up a donate button and tell them you'll continue the series if you get $200 in within a month. There, you never said you wouldn't do it, did you? And if they do pay up, hey, free $200!

Halfway 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Sweaty Re: Question for all scanlators

Quote Originally Posted by KuronekoX View Post
    I currently translate for Dark Towers but my friend and I are having problems with fans for a certain series.
    We recently dropped a series due to licensing but the reaction of the fans were kind of unexpected for us. We had emails sent to us calling us pathetic for dropping a series due to licensing and we are constantly blamed for their country not selling the series. People keep posting on our shoutbox to continue and don't seem to get our reasoning for dropping a series.
    So, we were wondering if any of the other Scanlation sites are having the same kinds of problems, and if you are, how do you deal with this?
    Just noticed this was an older post. Things must have calmed down some since March? Seems like I went a made a long post for nothing.

Spoiler show

Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    Just noticed this was an older post. Things must have calmed down some since March? Seems like I went a made a long post for nothing.

Spoiler show
    It is a rather old post but it could happen again so it's nice to be able to hear your opinion and advice on it. I didn't get as many replies as I had imagined back when I actually posted so it's a nice surprise
    Though there are things we tried on our site that you mentioned there are things we didn't try, so I think next time, if this ever happens again I'll make sure to try your instructions and see how things go.
    So, thanks for taking your time to post

New Reply