Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Heterosexuality contra Homosexuality

Corporate 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member blai's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Heterosexuality contra Homosexuality

Sorry for the kind-of-controversial thread title.
    I am by no means making a thread where you should say why hetero- or homosexuality are superior.

So, after seriously being in the spotlight since -99 when he smashed the charts with "Livin' Da Vida Loca" (or -98 with the official song for the Football WC in France - The Cup Of Life or as it's called in Spanish La copa de la vida) the Puertorican pop-star Ricky Martin has announced that he is, and has "always been", homosexual.

Ricky Martin

The question is, why, after all these years has he waited until now to announce it. Ricky himself claims that it's because his closest friends have told him that "Everything you've built will collapse, the world is not ready for the truth, your reality, your true nature:"

But apparently, these years of being silent has made him even stronger, so he has now, after hinting about it in his memoir which he started to write -09, officially announced himself gay.

What I want to discuss here isn't necessarily about Ricky, but about how society looks at homosexuals contra heterosexuals.
    Quote Originally Posted by Discussion material
    How accepted is it today to be a role model, a star,a famous person and homosexual?
    Is it really "better" for someone who is homosexual, to remain silent just because the world will "rise up against him/her" after he/she have announced it?
    How socially accepted is it today to be homosexual? Where is it more accepted, and why is that? What do you think?

And what do you think about homosexuality in general and why?
    Are you pro-homosexuality or con-homosexuality? Are you religious and are your views on homosexuality based upon your religious beliefs?

Note that homosexuality is just for this example, it can be replaced with any other minor sexualities, such as trans, queer, asex and bi.

Keep the discussion clean please.

-Blai
    Last edited by blai; October 17, 2010 at 08:25 AM.
    You're not paid to think;
    A mindless worker is a happy worker,
    so shut up and do your job.

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Drmke's Avatar
    Country
    Casterly Rock
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Heterosexuality contra Homosexuality

Hollywood, least how it seems, doesn't look down on someone for being gay. It seems to embrace people being individuals and doesn't judge people as much (except of course appearances i.e. beautiful, not beautiful). Entertainment has always been more accepting of different lifestyles and different types of people.

Politics and average society, on the other hand, is normally not so kind (at least in the U.S.). People scream and picket like crazy whenever someone gay is elected to any position of power (mayor, governor, senator), much like they did when black people first began getting elected. And people get even worse when it comes to a religious leader being gay.

Average, non-famous people, who come out as gay don't normally receive the large backlash against them, but its easy to tell what people think about them. I see people giving gay people where I live dirty looks or talking about them behind their backs. Granted most would never say anything to them which is better than screaming "fag" at them I guess. But if I can notice it, I'm the people its being said about can as well.

As far as why its not socially acceptable in the majorities eyes, it does have something to do with religious beliefs in a way. People are raised from birth to believe that God doesn't like it when people are gay and that its very bad. But long-held religious beliefs have always held back change so this is nothing new. Probably the biggest reason, even bigger than religion, is just that, by definition, its not "normal". For a species to reproduce, there has to be mostly hetero-members. Anything not "normal" always has a hard time becoming "normal" because people are so resistant to change.

Though the world is becoming a much more accepting place. Even where I live being gay is not consider strange by most of the younger generation, and it seems to be a pattern all around the world. In about 50 years, nothing will be thought of when someone says they are gay, and when that feeling of uneasiness some people get when they are around someone gay is gone, the world will be a better place for it.

OCCUPY THE WORLD

I got by Kaiten.
    <%M3J> Though I wouldn't mind Sari dominating me.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Evil3ye's Avatar
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally I do agree with his friends, who were saying the world's not ready yet to accept homosexuality as normal. of course, there were some other gay artists before him like Georage Micheal, Freddie Mercury and co, but still.

I absolutely do not give a damn about what the one or the other is doing in his bedroom, but I believe the most people will change their minds about the person after finding out he or she is gay. It still is a taboo subject in our society at this point. Even though there were some major changes in the last few decades in the western, there has to pass some more time so that one can say it's completely accepted.

There are some big differences from nation to nation though. For example in Russia the people are still like 'eeek' when it comes to that. It may be ok in the TV and the media, because of some gays in public (basically hairdressers, makeup artists, designers), but having a homosexual person in the surrounding... hm, the person might haven been this or that before the outing, but afterwards he's just being titled as fag... compeletly reduced to his sexuality. Which's very sad in my opinion, but the people do need a hell lot more of time to open their minds.

Germany again is that far to say, ok, not a the end of the world (actually), but the person's sexuality is ever-present though. Not sure if you already know, but since '09 the Germany has got a gay state secretary, liberal party leader Guido Westerwelle. So yeah, gay people can be quite successful over here, even in the politics.
    Last edited by Evil3ye; March 31, 2010 at 02:27 PM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member redcometfm's Avatar
    Wish it were Los Angeles. Soon, very soon.
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Thats what Hollywood wants you to believe. Quite the contrary, though the facade they present is quite convincing.

5. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

RICKY, NNNOOOOOOOooooooooooooo. WHY??? WHY????? WHYYYYY?????

"The man who is at the peak of his success, and the man who has just failed are in exactly the same position. Each must decide what he will do next."

Jigoro Kano

Corporate 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member blai's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

If you read the thread then you'd know that this isn't about Ricky Martin. He was just an example.
    You're not paid to think;
    A mindless worker is a happy worker,
    so shut up and do your job.

Banned MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
    Country
    North Korea
    Post Thanks / Like

Everyone could pretty much tell he was gay, common not rocket science.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Isogi's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Hollywood only has a handful, if that, of films that really press the issues of sexuality. Brokeback Mountain is probably one of the few works that really delve into the general condition of these people. In general, most media that brings up homosexuality either waters it down enough to be mainstream, or is generally a bit more abstract and classified as art-house. For American viewers, you occasionally run into series such as Will and Grace and a handful of others that present homosexuality, but it either shows it in a glamorous way or shows that there's really no problem with it, thereby ignoring the reality of the situation.

It's sort of a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation though. If you show the actual condition and problems of homosexuals in society, the series/movie will probably either become more controversial than it would want to be and/or not popular with mainstream culture. One that ignores the problems and shows the world being perfectly fine presents an ideal world and might alter people's preconceptions of such through showing them as tame or normal rather than menacing, but leaves the general populace ignorant of the reality of the situation.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Evil3ye's Avatar
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

A friend of mine outed himself just yesterday. Did not see it coming to be honest. I asked him to go out clubbing with me, and he said he's already going out with some others to a club. And so I suggested to meet in there then and then he told me it's a gay party tonight in there. I was wondering why he was going to a gay party, and then well... he told me.

. . .

ttytomorrow

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Dive's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Isogi View Post
    Hollywood only has a handful, if that, of films that really press the issues of sexuality. Brokeback Mountain is probably one of the few works that really delve into the general condition of these people. In general, most media that brings up homosexuality either waters it down enough to be mainstream, or is generally a bit more abstract and classified as art-house. For American viewers, you occasionally run into series such as Will and Grace and a handful of others that present homosexuality, but it either shows it in a glamorous way or shows that there's really no problem with it, thereby ignoring the reality of the situation.
    This just totally reminds me of Heroes. They had a very moving episode where someone with an Ability was lynched. Claire starts having lesbian tendencies and everything is a-okay. It always bothered me that Claire was completely fine with such a major change as an individual (she never once showed any signs of wanting to be with girls, at all, in the series), but the writers ignored the pressing issue that it is a big change, both for the individual from an introspective and extrospective point of view.

[/off high horse]

Quote Originally Posted by Drmke
    Politics and average society, on the other hand, is normally not so kind (at least in the U.S.). People scream and picket like crazy whenever someone gay is elected to any position of power (mayor, governor, senator), much like they did when black people first began getting elected. And people get even worse when it comes to a religious leader being gay.
    This, pretty much, to a T. I remember last year for American Idol, there was a big controversy surrounding Adam Lambert, while he didn't publicly come out yet, and his homosexual past. Manly claim that because he was gay, he didn't win, because the people voting wouldn't want someone gay as their American Idol. I really believe that, because society isn't ready for such "an important position" (it really isn't...which is the sad part) to be filled by a homosexual man. It really is a big step for someone in the entertainment business to come out, because the entertainment business is run by the average person. It's really sad that some people are basically forced to hide who they truly are because they're afraid that they won't be accepted well in society.
    To die by your side
    Well, the pleasure - the privilege is mine

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Xsoteria's Avatar
    Country
    Serbia
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't like rezzing threads, but I just felt like I had to post here, plus this subforum is kinda slowish.

Society today is much more accepting of homosexuality, yes, but that again depends on what part of the world you're typing from. America and most of eastern Europe seem a lot less comfortable with members of LGBT being in positions of power.

Also, while I think that all kinds of sexualities are finding support world wide now a days, they are finding ample opposition as well.

As opposed to say 15 years back, when there was no intense Internet coverage and different sexualities didn't really make such a significant impact when it came to promoting awareness and fighting for their rights, today it would seem that LGBT is meeting more resistance. Not only in vocality department, but also in numbers. It seems like this fight for rights and attempts of officially integrating LGBT members into higher up positions has sort of spread the word, but not only to those that would support their cause, but also to those who were neutral prior to finding about their struggle.

So while I would say that there is definitely progress with acceptance and affirmation, I would also have to say that there is an increase in opposition and problems caused by that struggle. Though it would be obvious that such a harsh division between those for and against and thining out the numbers of neutral people is needed in order to settle this once and for all.

(lol ricky is gay!? I never saw that coming haha, I only found this out after reading the OP)
    Brigands demand your money or your life; women require both.
    Better be nice to them

13. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I always assumed the dude was gay, I was surprised he even felt the need to announce it. I was even more surprised at the reaction most people seemed to have, they seemed honestly surprised.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity lordHokage's Avatar
    Country
    Bahamas
    Post Thanks / Like

Grin Re: Heterosexuality contra Homosexuality

Announcing that you are gay is the new it these days. I have nothing against gays but there lifestyle have negative consequences towards the proliferation of mankind. Let not play around with facts, from the very beginning to the very end, planet Earth was and would always be a Heterosexual World, and regardless of same sex rights and privileges, the vast majority of heterosexuals would never ever accept homosexuality.

You truly deserve the title of Yondaime Hokage

Horrible Person 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member xi0's Avatar
    Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lordHokage View Post
    Announcing that you are gay is the new it these days. I have nothing against gays but there lifestyle have negative consequences towards the proliferation of mankind. Let not play around with facts, from the very beginning to the very end, planet Earth was and would always be a Heterosexual World, and regardless of same sex rights and privileges, the vast majority of heterosexuals would never ever accept homosexuality.
    Biology aside, homosexuality has existed for thousands of years, so I don't see how much has changed. People are just more open about their sexual orientation.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity lordHokage's Avatar
    Country
    Bahamas
    Post Thanks / Like

Grin Re: Heterosexuality contra Homosexuality

Quote Originally Posted by xi0 View Post
    Biology aside, homosexuality has existed for thousands of years, so I don't see how much has changed. People are just more open about their sexual orientation.
    Since these are the last days, anything and everything would be accepted. If gay people want to openly publicize their sexual orientation, go right ahead, but when they used that moment to try and change public opinion on why being gay is God’s gift to mankind, that is a Declaration of war.

You truly deserve the title of Yondaime Hokage

New Reply
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast