Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 595 (2)
New Reply
Page 8 of 40 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast

Thread: The Pokemon Thread

Halfway 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Pokemon Thread

Yeah I agree, Arro. I mean after the original 150 set, seems the designer's are just lacking creativity to make interesting ones. Glad I'm not the only one thinking that.

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Arrogance's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Its not even necessarily creativity. Its just the appearances don't seem so classical pokemonesque. Its almost like we are looking at a completely new set of monsters separate from pokemon. I don't think they are all horrible, but I'm just not getting the pokemon vibe from them as much as I would have liked.

Halfway 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Arrogance View Post
    Its not even necessarily creativity. Its just the appearances don't seem so classical pokemonesque. Its almost like we are looking at a completely new set of monsters separate from pokemon. I don't think they are all horrible, but I'm just not getting the pokemon vibe from them as much as I would have liked.
    I was getting more of a rushed job feel, myself. The designs themselves are not horrible but, like you mentioned, they seem to lack that original feel.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Xerneas's Avatar
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Bah. First and second gen are terribly overrated and people need to toss the nostalgia goggles, stat. This is coming from a geezer who played Red the same year it came out. I can bet you that if most Kanto/Johto pokémon debuted today the fandom would RAGE, far worse than with the Hoenn/Sinnoh/Isshu ones. The reverse is true - these recent ones would be put on a pedestal, higher than that batch.

The only problem I have with this set is that the legends are somewhat underwhelming. Thats where the earlier gens shone. Sinnoh had too many but some were epic as well.

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Arrogance's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't get me wrong. I like new gen pokemon but NONE of the newer ones can't compare to the first two gens. Those are the ones that MADE pokemon. If this gen came out then, who the hell knows what kind of impact pokemon would have because it sure as hell doesn't feel like the same type. I'm still gonna buy the game and play because thats what I do and maybe and I'm hoping I'll learn to love em but on first impression they aren't doing it for me. So in all honestly I can't say that the reverse is automatically true because I just don't see that being the case because then the foundation of pokemon as a whole would be developed on a completely different feeling generation.

6. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

That was my point though: first impressions can be a very powerful thing. I'm almost certain that if you went and asked any kid that only started playing this series last gen what their favourite pokémon was, they'd name one from that gen or just the one before. Similarly most old school players cling to the original designs. Personally I see more creativity and design in recent years, as there is a whole team that works on them now instead of just Sugimori.

What gets me is the hypocrisy of the late gen bashers (not directing this at you, mind). Like people saying how awful the new ice cream, trash bag, gear etc are. They're not exactly my cup of tea either, but first gen had nonsense like Grimer, Voltorb, Seel, Magnemite etc. Second gen was the worst cause it was basically just a rehash with an abundance of useless monsters.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity weixiaobao's Avatar
    i am reside within a creature that is bias
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member riki's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Nintendo is making Mew available as a gift to celebrate the 10th Anniversary of Pokemon Gold and Silver.

From Oct. 15th to Oct. 30th, players with less than three Wonder cards can get this pokemon by logging onto Nintendo Wi-Fi with Pokemon: HeartGold or SoulSilver. A level 5 Mew will then appear as a Mystery Gift with a Pound attack. It will come in a Cherish Ball and has a Permier Ribbon, which will distinguish this Mew as being a special event Pokemon.

Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Well BW have been out for a month now and battling has changed drastically (even considering its a new gen) because of Dream World and some of these insane stats/moves/abilities. Without elaborating I suggest smogon or some other battle site to check things out. I think these are the best games ever, haven't been this excited about the franchise since I was a kid.

And for those who still have reservations about the designs, I suggest fanart. Always makes things much better. My one complaint about BW are the sprites. Apart from the Hoenn batch, which have been completely overhauled (another hint at the inevitable RSE remakes I think), I don't like them compared to 4th gen and they don't do the designs justice.

There's lots of good ones on deviantart and even better ones on http://www.pixiv.net/ (Japanese deviantart). Great trainer artwork too (some of which is...questionable but if you're into that stuff good for you lol). Just go to the latter and type in the Japanese names, which can be found here - http://serebii.net/blackwhite/pokemon.shtml, in the search bar. I should have saved some of the direct links but its not hard to navigate the site. Normally you have to be a member to view the art properly but there's a simple trick around that. Just right-click on whatever catches your eye and hit "View Image" and the url will come up with the picture number and a _s at the end, indicating the small version. Delete that _s so that its the picture number.jpg in the url (leave the rest alone).

Finally, if you want artwork of old monsters there's this - http://pearlsaurus.fc2web.com/. One of the best pokémon art sites around; I've been a fan for years. Most of the art is in the E-log section but there are some special pieces you have to search for. He's done everyone up to Arceus (I was so flattered with my glorious portrait) and even started doing over your favourite gen 1 ones in his new art style - he's much better now than when he started off. Enjoy.
    Last edited by Xerneas; October 20, 2010 at 08:59 AM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member conn-man's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

So has everyone picked out a favorite from the new gen?

I like denchura, bug/electric type. His ability is compound eyes-increased accuracy for STAB boosted thunders, very cool.

Also like shinpora, psychic/flying type, its basically a suped up xatu, all of its stats are better.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Evil3ye's Avatar
    Country
    San Marino
    Post Thanks / Like

yeah uhm... going by design only there are some decent ones. not too many though, as already expected
    ._ .

the normal bird Kenhore #521 (male),
    fire/bug #637 Urugamosu

and both fossils are wicked this time... #565 Abagoora, #567 Aakeosu

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member conn-man's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah the fossils are awesome this time. I like the turtle more, ability is solid rock making grass his only weakness plus nice defense and attack aaand aqua jet. He'll be a killer.

MangaHelper MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Rikudou King's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Abagoora is pretty awesome. I was able to make it quite far (All the way to Renbu before I had to use another pokemon) with Abagoora, Enbuoh, And Denchura. I wanted to use Ulgamoth too, But it was taking forever to train up it's pre-evolution.

Banned 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

is Black or white good how it compare to other titles.

does it have a annoying rival/friend llike platuinum had
    does the "evil" group still use the worst pokemon in the game
    is it hard do trainers acutally try to win.

i got ss n enjoy it but somethings do irk me that i wish they would sort out..it out for a while was hoping for someone who played it input

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Gecko Moria's Avatar
    Country
    New Zealand
    Post Thanks / Like

What I find amazing is that a game with the same basic plot, on a hand-held device, can still maintain such popularity after all these years, albeit having better graphics. But I guess Nintendo is rather good at that (see Mario, but even Mario has started to deviate into other fields aside from jumping on Goombas).

I guess the new games are received differently by different audiences. For example, to the professional players, it's a whole new metagame (as they call it) and to many younger children it will be the first time they've actually owned a Pokemon game. I hope they do spend some time to watch the first few seasons though, they were so very epic.

Nostalgic much?

Thanks to ~Coffee~ for the avatar and signature.
    Everything is possible: The impossible just takes longer.

One Piece|Gecko is bored, go post something~|The Tennis Thread

New Reply
Page 8 of 40 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast