Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 592 by BadKarma , Gintama 506 (2)
New Reply
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Kokou no Hito by Nabeta Yoshio & Sakamoto Shinichi

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Roflkopt3r's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Kokou no Hito by Nabeta Yoshio & Sakamoto Shinichi

Just saw that Kokou no Hito won an award at 14th Japan Media Arts Festival (2010). Main price went to Historie, Kokou no Hito shares the excellence awards with three other manga

Scanlator 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

kudos for Kokou no Hito.
    Oinkment is the treatment for swine flu. We need to spread it around so we can stop the aporkalpse.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I found something like a favorite chapter of mine (although there are actually too many awesome chapters as that I could say something just like that), which would be Ch. 59. It's about Buntarou's inability to speak his mind and his problems with communications in general.
    Spoiler: the crucial panels show

Perhaps it's just me, but I guess most people will have experienced such a situation (not as frequently as Buntarou I hope though ^^). It's depicted so perfectly imo. His "letter" seems perfect imo, all the thoughts and associations he has and which he cannot put in words because it's so much at once.
    Last edited by Roflkopt3r; February 10, 2011 at 12:48 PM.

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member MattC302's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Chapter 113 is out thanks to OMFGG Scans.

So Mori did marry Katou Hana. I am going to keep calling him Mori if that is alright with you guys. It would get confusing if we started calling him Katou since Katou Hana has that name too and I never really liked "Buntarou".

I'm really glad Mori fell in love and I hope he makes it back to his bride. I guess it is obvious he will because he probably isn't going to fail before even attempting K2.

I bet since Mori is climbing this mountain solo, this arc is going to be chock full of weird symbolism and hallucinations and stuff because there is no other characters for Mori to interact with.
    Last edited by MattC302; February 12, 2011 at 03:16 AM.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MattC302 View Post
    I bet since Mori is climbing this mountain solo, this arc is going to be chock full of weird symbolism and hallucinations and stuff because there is no other characters for Mori to interact with.
    Yeah it seems so, already
    I'm really curious about what's following now, Kokou no Hito is so infinitly difficult to predict, and I like that
    The whole thing about marriage and love was so absolutely surprising already.

About the Mori/Buntarou thing, yeah Mori was a good name... but I always found it so weird anyways to call such characters by their family names, so I figured it would be a good point of switching that
    (Even though Germany might be one of the really few nations calling their football players by their last names )

Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Roflkopt3r View Post

About the Mori/Buntarou thing, yeah Mori was a good name... but I always found it so weird anyways to call such characters by their family names, so I figured it would be a good point of switching that
    (Even though Germany might be one of the really few nations calling their football players by their last names )
    Don't Japanese people always call others by their family names unless they are really close? I thought it was considered rude in Japan to call someone that you are unfamiliar with by their given name.

Chapter 114 is out thanks to OMFGG Scans.

That was a weird chapter. I'm guessing that "monster" as Mori is how he sees himself or something. Or, he might think that is how Katou Hana sees him.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MattC302 View Post
    Don't Japanese people always call others by their family names unless they are really close? I thought it was considered rude in Japan to call someone that you are unfamiliar with by their given name.
    Yeah, in Japan that is, but since I'm not Japanese it simply feels different/weird to me. And since Buntarou is just a fictional character, he won't complain

Wow, that chapter is weird indeed, though beatiful as ever. I think it will become clearer when the story continues. So far I can only guess that it is about his own insight about remaining isolated all the time isn't good, which he seemingly gains from Katou's presence.

Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Chapter 115 is out thanks to OMFGG Scans.

That was really surprising and weird seeing Mori smile like that, but I guess that was just him imagining what life could have been like if he was normal. I hate to see Mori so sad. I guess his new job is lonely and the solitude is finally getting to him.

Pink Warrior 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member baboysai's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

eh... I'm into vol. 8 now. I'm liking this series a lot.

btw, some good read that is highly related to Kokou no Hito: http://godheadv.blogspot.com/2010/04...n-everest.html It's an article about the Death Zone in Mt. Everest.

Anyway, this manga is weird in that there is no wiki about it, nor an ANN article. I was trying to look for its vintage, as that's how I archive my manga, and I found it quite odd that a manga this good could have nothing on it on these big sites?
    Last edited by baboysai; February 17, 2011 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

11. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baboysai View Post
    Anyway, this manga is weird in that there is no wiki about it, nor an ANN article. I was trying to look for its vintage, as that's how I archive my manga, and I found it quite odd that a manga this good could have nothing on it on these big sites?
    Yeah, it's surprising. I don't know about Japan, but overseas it seems to have few readers.
    On the other hand, it's not really new to me that very high quality and deep Seinen meet a broad indifference amongst the online communities. Probably it takes at least a few sword fights to get people attracted

Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kewl0210's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I only started translating it in April. And now I'm just about caught up with Japan.
    In Young Jump it's usually pretty low in the rankings because not much happens each individual chapter, as it should be clear to anyone who's read it.

Anyhow, spread the word about it. That's what I've tried to do, anyhow. And eventually somebody'll make articles about it.

14. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kewl0210 View Post
    I only started translating it in April. And now I'm just about caught up with Japan.
    In Young Jump it's usually pretty low in the rankings because not much happens each individual chapter, as it should be clear to anyone who's read it.

Anyhow, spread the word about it. That's what I've tried to do, anyhow. And eventually somebody'll make articles about it.
    You're that far already? Great job
    Yeah, it's true that Kokou no Hito is definitly ment to be read at least volumewise and not chapter for chapter. That makes it certainly hard to follow in a monthly release magazine.

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

and kewl forgot to mention that ch116 is out hehe.

I'm really excited to see more of Mori's development. He's never thought of women before, and at most he thought they were a distraction- because of Yumi (that b*tch).

Poor Mori, he's always being scammed, or taken advantage of and it's because he doesn't say a thing. If money gets stolen he'd just think of skipping on meals or something.

Which is what makes a really cute guy, trying to become like other people though. You could really see him trying and that's what makes it so sweet.

Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

I kind of felt bad for Mori this chapter. Miyomoto has caused him so much trouble that he is starving himself. I hope that guy gets what is coming to him by the end of the manga.

After all those strange stares from people, I bet that genuine smile from Katou Hana was a sight for sore eyes. I love Mori's determination to get up the mountain and I love that he has found something in life to dedicate himself to besides the solitude of mountaineering.

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

I actually hoped that Miyamoto and Mori would meet soon (midway through, before he actually showed up). I thought hey, did the mangaka forget about Miyamoto? And wished they'd see each other first on the 14 Mountain group, and when that didn't happen, I thought they'd see each other for the k2 expedition. Until he finally showed up.

I was really disappointed at how he turned out to be. Sigh. I thought he was inherently a good guy when they were still in high school. And they had such a past together. Well, life is full of failures, I guess.

It's encounters like these that push Mori more and more to hate people. It's like almost everyone he's tried so hard to trust ends up screwing him. So I'm really curious what Katou Hana does that would make him change.

New Reply
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast