Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 600 by BadKarma
New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Classic Manga and Mangaka

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Classic Manga and Mangaka

Does anyone read older manga? If you do come here to discuss older series, artists, styles, and the evolution of manga in general. Feel free to list favorites, both authors and artists, but please: no long list of links to scanlators or online readers. Linking to entries at mangaupdates is fine, considering the amount of information that site provides linking there it is preferable anyway, if one is so inclined to provide links. Discussion of all demographics is welcome.

Tatsumi Yoshihio: Pioneering artist, one of the founders of the gekiga movement in the late 50's. Tatsumi and his cohorts introduced gritty realism, violence, and sex into Japanese comics. His masterful biography, in comic form, a Drifting Life was released in America last year. Three collections: the Push Man, Good Bye, and Abandon the Old in Tokyo collect stories originally published in the legendary anthology Garo.
    Miyazaki Hayao: Best known as an animator, Miyazaki is also a brilliant mangaka, basing the anime of Nausicaa off one of his own works. A cliche to mention but often sited as one of the greatest manga ever made. Hox scanlated his barely known Sabuka no Tami. Written in the late 60's for a children's publication, Sabuka is a fascinating read, pushing the boundary of how manga is read and what it looks like.
    Last edited by Kaiten; September 05, 2010 at 11:03 PM.

2. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Drmke's Avatar
    Country
    Casterly Rock
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Classic Manga and Mangaka

Most of the classics I like are from the 80s or late 70s (manga is the only good thing that came outta the 80s!).

Buronson is one I really enjoy. His manga are usually pretty violent and I always loved his way of drawing. His famous works include (and their are many) Doberman Detective (1975), Fist of the North Star (1983), Mammoth (1985), Sanctuary (1990), Japan (1992), Strain (1997), Heat (1999), First of the Blue Sky (2001), and Lord (2004).

Mitsuru Adachi is another obvious classic. He has been one of the greatest sports mangaka for 30 years. He's known for mixing slice of life elements into everyone of his manga. Some of his works include Miyuki (1980), Touch (1981), Slow Step (1986), Rough (1987), Jinbe (1992), H2 (1992), Katsu! (2001), and Cross Game (2006).

And much, MUCH love for Masanori Morita. Although he didn't show up till 1987, he has still, in my opinion, created some of Jump's best series. His works are Rokudenashi Blues (1987), Rookies (1998), and Beshari Gurashi (2005). He has a very similar drawing style to Buronson. Both tend to draw their characters in a grittier fashion. Morita also leans more towards realism when writing his stories.

Those are just three of my all time favorites but of course their are many other classics I didn't mention like Akira Toriyama (Dr. Slump, Dragonball) and Tetsuya Chiba (Ashita no Joe, Ore wa Teppei). And few who just barely made it in time for this deadline who made their biggest impacts in recent decades: Yoshihiro Togashi (Yu Yu Hakusho, Level E, Hunter x Hunter), Takeshi Obata (Hikaru no Go, Death Note, Bakuman), and Takehiko Inoue (Slam Dunk, Vagabond, REAL).

OCCUPY THE WORLD

I got by Kaiten.
    <%M3J> Though I wouldn't mind Sari dominating me.

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Dive's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

My contribution would have to be Akira Toriyama (Dragon Ball), Tetsuya Chiba (Ashita no Joe), and Hirohiko Araki (Jojo's Bizarre Adventure)
    To die by your side
    Well, the pleasure - the privilege is mine

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member shaheer's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Hayao miazaki, for my all time fav Nausicaa

Fumio kono for Town of evening calm country of cherry blossom

Osamu Tezuka for Black Jack

Katsuhiro Otomo for akira

Tetsuya Chiba for Ashita no Joe

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Mushashi's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

I've just started scratching the surface of classic manga, still haven't read some recent classics such as Rurouni Kenshin. I did start Sayonara Japan a while back. Only two chapters are out, both enjoyable. It's a collection of shorts by Otomo Katsuhiro, mangaka of Akira, centered around the three chapter series that lends it's name to the collection. Sayonara Japan is older than Akira, preceding Otomo's shift to science fiction. Definitely recommended.

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

^ I really recommend Rurouni Kenshin.

My favourite manga of all time is a classic manga: Haikara-san ga Toru (Yamato Waki). I also enjoyed reading Candy Candy (Mizuki Kyoko). Both are shoujo.

I never read these but they were popular titles in the mid-20th century: Cyborg 009 [1964], Lupin III [1967], Obake no Q-taro [1964], and Gegege no Kitaro [1959]. It doesn't matter how old you are, everyone in Japan knows about them. (Even my grandmother! XD)

Intl Translator MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted juUnior's Avatar
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

I just subscribe to this thread - I thought I'm weird that I like old mangas/animes over the newer ones <of course there are exeptions>, and what have we here: more ppl xD

I have a question though: what sites do you recommend to search for scanlations of old manga? <I definitely missed a lot, and would like to read even more if there's a chance> Thx in advance for reply.

btw. Kaiten-Sama <>, nice of you to put the link to the thread in Jump topic ^^
    ..:: I LoVe I's ::.. [Naruto] Share your thoughts on: Boobies

Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member StrangerAtaru's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Just subscribed as well after you mentioned it in the Jump thread, Kaiten.

I didn't really mean to make a fuss before about it, it just felt like with all my work on the older Jump series and how much I love a lot of what I've been doing, the fact that for the most part Jump still remains a few select series plus everything in there now is a crying shame. I love a lot of the old series I've been doing and will hopefully do in the near future (got lined up a few things, in particular another 80s series once Otokojuku is over and a couple shorter series when the Bo-bobo saga is over...one of which I know hardly anyone has really heard of but turned out to be a really cute and fun series when I picked it up)

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Galactic Tomahawk's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Continuing on the subject that... Won't quite seem to die in the Jump thread, I started reading Houshin Engi recently and I kind of regret not getting in to it earlier.

Not the kind of manga you really see all that often anymore.

Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Asarii View Post
    ^ I really recommend Rurouni Kenshin.

My favourite manga of all time is a classic manga: Haikara-san ga Toru (Yamato Waki). I also enjoyed reading Candy Candy (Mizuki Kyoko). Both are shoujo.

I never read these but they were popular titles in the mid-20th century: Cyborg 009 [1964], Lupin III [1967], Obake no Q-taro [1964], and Gegege no Kitaro [1959]. It doesn't matter how old you are, everyone in Japan knows about them. (Even my grandmother! XD)
    I've been lazy about Rurouni for a long time. Everyone always tells me it's brilliant. I need to get to it soon.

I'm disappointed that, unless I missed something, neither of your recommendations are in English. It's a shame, there is a limited amount of translated, classic shojo. Certainly some modern classics like Hana Kimi and Boys Over Flowers, but a limited amount of material from the 70's. Even Rose of Versailles scanlations are stalled. I'd love to see the more attention paid to the 24-gumi as well as the two artists you mentioned and TADATSU Youko, at the least. Fortunately an anthology of Hagio Moto (one of the 24-gumi) one shots called a Drunken Dream goes on sale later this month.

I only no Lupin from the anime, I've never tried the manga. Gegege is a mile stone, one of the most important manga ever released. A real shame it's never been translated. Hox recently translated a doujin where the artist redid Hidamari Sketch and Fate/Stay Night in Mizuki Shigeru's art style. His war memoir Onward Towards Our Noble Death and Nononbaa to Ore were both licensed over the summer, I'm looking forward to both. I'd also be interested in seeingCyborg 009, along with Tetsujin 28, translated.

Quote Originally Posted by juUnior View Post
    I just subscribe to this thread - I thought I'm weird that I like old mangas/animes over the newer ones <of course there are exeptions>, and what have we here: more ppl xD

I have a question though: what sites do you recommend to search for scanlations of old manga? <I definitely missed a lot, and would like to read even more if there's a chance> Thx in advance for reply.

btw. Kaiten-Sama <>, nice of you to put the link to the thread in Jump topic ^^
    There's a growing market for classics. Osamu Tezuka reissues are the flagship Vertical, a smaller American publisher that is finding a lot of success selling oldies and alternative manga. Those two fandoms (the latter is my primary fandom) are linked, I think the growing popularity of classics is more evident to the underground fandom. The publishers who license alternative manga are the same ones (mostly) to license classics, same goes for scanlators. Use mangaupdates release tracker, most classics, including the series StrangerAtaru is working on, are announced there. The scanlation group manga underground maintain a blog that will announce most of the releases mangaupdates misses; they mostly announce seinen/alternative but also classics and shonen the posters are interested in. Sometimes googling a specific title will yield unexpected results.

Quote Originally Posted by StrangerAtaru View Post
    Just subscribed as well after you mentioned it in the Jump thread, Kaiten.

I didn't really mean to make a fuss before about it, it just felt like with all my work on the older Jump series and how much I love a lot of what I've been doing, the fact that for the most part Jump still remains a few select series plus everything in there now is a crying shame. I love a lot of the old series I've been doing and will hopefully do in the near future (got lined up a few things, in particular another 80s series once Otokojuku is over and a couple shorter series when the Bo-bobo saga is over...one of which I know hardly anyone has really heard of but turned out to be a really cute and fun series when I picked it up)
    I understand. Sometimes it feels like Jump fans are more concerned with the big 3, the recent series, and the TOC then with the history and culture surrounding the magazine. Honestly I've stopped reading any current series other than the big 3 and Hunter x Hunter (when it comes back) so the TOC rarely interests me anymore. Other than Mago and Beelzebub there's nothing I'm interested in catching up on, either. I do want to start reading some of the older series, as I mentioned in the thread, particularly Nube (once more is released), City Hunter (same), and Rurouni. It's been nice to see so many more old series getting attention lately, the state of old school Jump was terrible before you started translating. Even Hokuto no Ken isn't caught up, though it was recently rebooted. If someone translated Barefoot Gen that would make my day

Quote Originally Posted by Galactic Tomahawk View Post
    Continuing on the subject that... Won't quite seem to die in the Jump thread, I started reading Houshin Engi recently and I kind of regret not getting in to it earlier.

Houshin Engi is one of my all time favorites. Taikoubou is hands down the least conventional shonen hero ever. Every stereotype about shonen action goes out the window. Bah. This thread is making me think of to many things I haven't read yet; considering how much I loved Cross Game it's almost a crime I haven't read Touch.
    Last edited by Kaiten; September 06, 2010 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

14. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Intl Translator MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted juUnior's Avatar
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Thx Kaiten for the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Galactic Tomahawk

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten
    Houshin Engi is one of my all time favorites. Taikoubou is hands down the least conventional shonen hero ever. Every stereotype about shonen action goes out the window.
    One of my favourites series of all time, too. Its really cool to place the things in such "historic" I would say events, and the characters.. I always hyped back than the characters which were put into this story - when you don't forget such characters, I think it tells that the series was at least good. <Nazza rlz forever btw., I just had to >

And also about anime: its only a "little" of manga stuff here, but generally its a good anime with normal pace 26 episodes <so the quality rather not drops> And the OST is still one of my favourites from anime series. I definitely recommend too, whether before or after the reading
    ..:: I LoVe I's ::.. [Naruto] Share your thoughts on: Boobies

Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member StrangerAtaru's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Nube is coming along but sadly it's rather slow. I'm near the end of vol. 10 but the scanslator is only near the end of vol. 3. Probably just due to how many people are tied to all their other projects but not that or the fact that they do need a proofer or cleaner who wants to really do the project. But hey, at least I'm trying to get those scripts out there. (honestly the only shock regarding scanslations of my work as of late is that the guy doing Otokojuku...actually caught up with me and now is keeping an eye on me to get the scripts done)

There are quite a few Jump and Sunday (and maybe even one or two Magazine) series I do want to read though. Houshin Engi was up there due to the anime...which wasn't that bad even if it wasn't what I've heard with the manga. Same goes for Dr. Slump...also sort of want to try some early Adachi if it weren't for the scanslation crackdown. Though personally if I could get my hands on it, I'd love to take a whack at Doberman Detective (an early Buronson series that put him on the match pre-Fist of the North Star...)

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Drmke's Avatar
    Country
    Casterly Rock
    Post Thanks / Like

Nube is a fun series though I need to catch back up Most older series I'm interested in tend to be from Jump simply because they get more exposure so its easier to find them. Like I'd like to read more than 2 volumes of Rising Impact or read Fuma no Kojiro. Play Ball also looks interesting but is so old I doubt I'll ever get to read it.

In fact, that might be why most people tend to focus on current series instead of caring about older ones. Besides your fantastic job translating older series StrangerAtaru, very little attention is given to older series, Jump or not. Many fans probably know this and don't even try to give older series a chance because they feel its wasted effort.

OCCUPY THE WORLD

I got by Kaiten.
    <%M3J> Though I wouldn't mind Sari dominating me.

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

@Kaiten: Oh, I'm sorry about that! I'll try to list more accessible titles next time.

They're all great series, and it really is a shame that they aren't translated. If the classics don't get exposure overseas, then no one will know about them. Is perhaps the lack of translations due to lack of demand?

New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast