Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Bleach 576 by cnet128
New Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Classic Manga and Mangaka

SQUEE x 9000 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Classic Manga and Mangaka

Could be. Or maybe it's the hair

True, it's long, but only 4 volumes have been scanlated. I may read what's scanlated then hope for more. If more ever comes. A volume every couple of months would be manageable if someone picked it up. From what I hear it's episodic; there's no over arching story, Duke Togo kills someone, has a one night stand (maybe), and moves on to the next mission.

I read chapter 1 of Violence Jack. Hard to judge based on one chapter. But the world did end by the end of the chapter. Usually a sign of quality. I should probably read Devilman while I wait for chapter 2.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Reading scalantions that are available at the moment wouldn't be so bad then. With the series being nearly four decades old, I had a feeling it might have to be episodic. Even Kochikame (another classic/modern manga!) follows a case-by-case format.

Violence Jack has had several serializations so I'll probably stick with reading the main story when I get a chance. I wouldn't want a dystopian world in real life, but I do like reading about it. Devilman sounds intersting too!

After doing some research, I can't believe Nakai Go also created Cutey Honey!

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

While Nagai Go's art is a little dated, the stories do hold up. Modern action, or whatever genre he was working in, really hasn't changed much from his day it seems. The main story of Violence Jack is the one being translated now, I'm skipping all of the spin-offs, sequels, etc. also. I'll take a look at Cutie Honey soon, seems to be fully scanlated.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I usually skip spin-offs or sequels unless I'm obsessed with the series. I'm glad that Nagai Go's stories aren't too different from what we have today. Although I'm expecting a different feel from early mangas, it's nice to have some sense of familiarity. With any classic shoujo though, I jump right in!

From what I know about Cutie Honey, it's... sexy. XD Koda Kumi covered its OP theme if that gives any indication.

Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member StrangerAtaru's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The biggest problem with Nagai from what I've noticed from him is he's a tad...obsessive in making things dark. Even things that don't deserve to be dark recently just became more like seinen series. Friend said that he was badly affected by the death of someone close and that may have made him like this...but sometimes even the masters have to leave well enough alone.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Asarii View Post
    I usually skip spin-offs or sequels unless I'm obsessed with the series. I'm glad that Nagai Go's stories aren't too different from what we have today. Although I'm expecting a different feel from early mangas, it's nice to have some sense of familiarity. With any classic shoujo though, I jump right in!

From what I know about Cutie Honey, it's... sexy. XD Koda Kumi covered its OP theme if that gives any indication.
    I like sexy

I usually don't care much for spin-offs either. I will make an exception for Angel Heart, a spin off of City Hunter. It's supposed to be excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by StrangerAtaru View Post
    The biggest problem with Nagai from what I've noticed from him is he's a tad...obsessive in making things dark. Even things that don't deserve to be dark recently just became more like seinen series. Friend said that he was badly affected by the death of someone close and that may have made him like this...but sometimes even the masters have to leave well enough alone.
    Dark shonen were pretty common in the late 60's-early 70's. The gekiga movement was at it's peak then, influencing a lot of manga. Go Nagai was definitely trying to turn shonen into something grittier; less like Astro Boy more like Black Blizzard. I don't know much about his personal life, to be honest.

Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member StrangerAtaru's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    I like sexy

Dark shonen were pretty common in the late 60's-early 70's. The gekiga movement was at it's peak then, influencing a lot of manga. Go Nagai was definitely trying to turn shonen into something grittier; less like Astro Boy more like Black Blizzard. I don't know much about his personal life, to be honest.
    I don't mind the advancement of the genre, it's just that sometimes there are limits to even going back and adjusting the past...and sometimes that's what Nagai does. It's hard to say having not really read too much Nagai but I have a friend who has...

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm just starting to read his work, I haven't really gotten a lot of perspective on his style.

The same group that picked up Violence Jack has started releasing chapters of an obscure Go Nagai series called Iyahaya Nantomo, seems worth giving a try. Even better, they also added Ashita no Joe, picking up where the last scanlators left off.

I read one of the strangest old manga I have ever seen last night: Human Clock. It was released in a pulp magazine in 1962 by what amounts to a hack mangaka. Ostensibly about the son of a clock maker who turns into a clock, the story is so incoherent, the art so erratic that what would have been a prosaic horror story is turned into a twisted, surreal, unintentional exploration of a warped mind. Character design and line work don't stay consistent from one frame to the next, the characters rarely even look human. The story proceeds with no logic, seeming to be more the ravings of a schizophrenic. The reality was that the author was a failing mangaka churning out quickie manga, living from pay check to pay check. By the time he wrote human clock he was essentially giving the middle finger to his readers, punishing them for rejecting his work. Human Clock is a good example of outsider art in manga, and an early (unintentional) example of heta uma (so bad it's good, an underground style of deliberately poor art. see Tokyo Zombie or I'll Give it My All..... Tomorrow).

Comipress has a great article about Human Clock mangaka Tokunan Seiichirō here. It's part of there Manga Zombie translation, a 1997 book about the pre-Dragonball manga hinterland.
    Last edited by Kaiten; September 22, 2010 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Lately I'm in a retro manga fever -or more specifically a Takahashi Rumiko phase- so I've been interested in reading works pre-1990. It's too bad that the scanlations I've read come from the Viz volumes so the pages are flipped. It's probably not a big deal for some people, but I don't like it because manga is supposed to be read from right to left. I don't want to enjoy a manga differently from Japanese readers, and this includes how a page is read. /rant

I've already read some of Takahashi's short stories, and I'm currently reading Ningyo no Mori. Even though it's technically finished, it's apparently not completed according to her so it will be interesting to see how she will work on it if she decides to continue with it in the future.

All her other popular manga are quite long! >_< I do want to start from Urusei Yatsurei and work my way to Ranma 1/2 though.
    Last edited by Asarii; November 06, 2012 at 12:08 PM.

MangaHelper 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member jakensama's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Nausicaa, Rurouni Kenshin, Hoshin Engi.

New Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3