Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)

View Poll Results: Least favorite arc?

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • Captain Morgan Arc

1 1.10%
  • Buggy the Clown Arc

1 1.10%
  • Captain Kuro Arc

9 9.89%
  • Baratie Arc

0 0%
  • Arlong Arc

1 1.10%
  • Loguetown Arc

0 0%
  • Laboon Arc

6 6.59%
  • Whiskey Peak Arc

1 1.10%
  • Little Garden Arc

1 1.10%
  • Drum Island Arc

0 0%
  • Arabasta Arc

2 2.20%
  • Jaya Arc

1 1.10%
  • Skypiea Arc

8 8.79%
  • Davy Back Fight Arc

34 37.36%
  • Water 7 Arc

0 0%
  • Enies Lobby Arc

7 7.69%
  • Post-Enies Lobby Arc

0 0%
  • Thriller Bark Arc

15 16.48%
  • Sabaody Archipelago Arc

0 0%
  • Amazon Lily Arc

1 1.10%
  • Impel Down Arc

1 1.10%
  • Marineford Arc

1 1.10%
  • Post-War Arc

1 1.10%
New Reply
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your least favorite story arc in One Piece?

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

What is your least favorite story arc in One Piece?

before merging, this topic was named : Marineford best or worse arc ? . Too bad the poll was deleted in the same time...

From what I have read in the chapter discussion, people are quite divided on that subject. So, now that it is finished how do you judge Marineford arc ?
    Last edited by k-dom; November 21, 2010 at 03:25 PM.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Estonia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Marineford arc : the best or the worse Arc ?

I'd say it isn't the best, because Enies Lobby/Water 7 arc had the greatest story, a wonderful original scenery, CP9 as enemies, Going Merry burned down/gave Strawhats their new ship, Franky joined. But it's definitely #2 for me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels it finds darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." - "Reaper Man" by Terry Pratchett

3. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity chess4's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

the marineford arc is pretty good. i mean we got to see a lot of the big shots we have been waiting to see in action WB, sengoku, admirals, VA, etc. i cant say its the best arc because the water 7 arc is the best. the strawhats and a rag tag bunch of people face off against an entire fort.
    http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/399/02-03/

look at the strawhats. this is the best pic in the manga(well besides shanks and his crew)

i cant wait to see them get back together. the marine arc was still good though.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member bittman's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

I voted it as average. It wasn't fantastically engaging and emotional (I stand by the fact that I shed no tears for Whitebeard and lost interest in Ace a whole 2 pages after he died) and there were far too many players in the arc for Oda to provide any focus and thus attachment to anyone by the readers. Main emotion I saw people get out of this entire arc is hating Akainu, that's not exactly a conclusive emotion.

It's about middle of the park for me. If you seperate "Marineford" from the "WB War arc" (Which I run as Shabondy to Marineford), then it falls lower in my rankings to being bottom 5. Of course if you seperate Marineford from the overall arc, you seperate Little Garden and Whiskey Peak from the Alabasta arc, making this a little harder. And can you really seperate Water 7 and Enies Lobby?

So if it's the WB War arc, it was kept afloat by one gorgeous set of mangroves and one amazing jailbreak. If it's just marineford, I remain unimpressed. As someone (Black Lagoon perhaps?) mentioned, I was probably expecting too much.

Sorry readers: taking a break from my One Piece reviews. Though I love doing them, One Piece Reviews are actually not near the top of my to-do list. Perhaps one day I'll return and do them properly.

Spoiler: My one current One Piece prediction show

6. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Poneglyph420's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I mean this Arc was a good one, and the culmination of the efforts of the two Arcs that preceeded it. Not only that but we did find out a lot of back information on the world and the "elite" players in the world.
    In many ways this Arc was one that will in the end tie the story together..
    But IMO this manga is really the tale of the SH and their exploits....

So I'd say this arc as epic as it was isn't one of the greatest, but was for sure in the top 10.

I really enjoyed the Arlong, Arabasta, and Water 7/EL Arcs the best for showing their spirit and showing the SH form their bonds.
    In EL the Sh gained the notoriety of a known crew... in Marineford Luffy gained the notoriety as of one of the greatest threats to the WG and Marines, in the world.

This Arc, Average.
    Last edited by Poneglyph420; April 09, 2010 at 08:05 PM.

It's on. Like Donkey Kong

Magma♥ MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Akainu's Avatar
    Country
    Bavaria
    Post Thanks / Like

For an arc where, as bittman says, there are so many characters to keep track of, this one wasn't that bad. There are other examples for wars, like Alabasta where everything was done one by one, but that wouldn't have done justice to this chaos.
    I know one of the most hated things was all the cameos and little skirmishes but not actual fights, that though wouldn't have worked well and we'd probably still be in the middle of the arc.
    What bugged me more than that was Oda only giving out 14 page chapters for quite some time. That's about one third of a chapter less than normally, but without a clear reason. If it was for the movie then *meh* he didn't want to slack because of that.
    And the spreads were not that awesome after a while tbh. since they almost always were surrounded by other panels. Well, maybe it would have been too much then
    Anyway, this arc starting with Whitebeard surfacing served a purpose and had some nice moments, while it could have been done a little diffrent.
    So... no. this arc isn't really among the top for me even though it was quite enjoyable.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

This arc wasn't one of the best arcs. Don't get me wrong, it is still a good arc but could have been much better.
    For me some things missing were:
    1) WB is supposed to be the strongest in the world; I expected much better from him, what I mean is it wasn't followed through properly after the tsunami. The only good part he played was when he pawned Akainu and BB and that was short lived.

2) WB crew members could have done better also.

3) The other thing missing was Luffy kicking major marine ***, but I can understand why Luffy didn't, and it makes sense. Luffy was in a battle involving some of the baddest *** fighters in the world and Luffy looks small and weak in comparison to them.

4) WB and Ace died and Luffy's side is the one who lost in this war. This leaves me with a bad feeling.

5) When the WG announced the Ace was Gol D. Roger's kid, I wasn't blown away as I was when finding out about Luffy's dad. It didn't seem original enough, it seemed to cliché, but, this could be me, due to having too much high expectation in the first place of this arc.

6) I kind of missed the other Strawhats also.

7) The ending of the war could have been better, it was anti-climactic and disappointing. There was nothing new in that chapter; I mean Shanks talked them into stopping the war just like that. I wanted at most one chapter of action, just a glimpse some of their abilities. There was something missing from the end. I can't put my finger on it yet.
    Last edited by kangclaw; April 08, 2010 at 09:07 AM.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

To me this arc has too many weaknesses to rank him in the top 5. the challenge to develop that many characters in the same place was impossible in so few chapters. Maybe if he had more time, Oda would have done better.
    Let some nice double spreads but that is not enough

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member BlindMunkey's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

LOL imagine if Oda had taken his time showing all things we are asking about this war arch. we are contradicting ourselves here. on one hand we wanted to be given more time on things such as 1n1 fights and etc. on the other hand we want luffys crew to gather up. Oda knew this was gonna be like this with fans. so i think along with other reasons he also hurried this arch so he can start showing us how he will be getting the crew together. i honestly enjoyed this arch it was really good. this is a setup for future. this arch value will increase as time passes. specially after some of us will re-read this in future. i think us fans would have hated or disliked more if Oda had dragged this on longer than this trying to develop characters in there 1n1 fights. we got to know alotta things we didnt know before this arch and who am i telling. we know all that.

this post just seems like i said things up and down. not fluent i suppose
    Spoiler show

12. Thanks 4 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member BetaRuler's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally my fav arcs are Shabondy and Impel Down, mostly because of Brooke and Magellan moments...

I believe Marinefords arc was an experiment on Oda's part, like he's trying to figure out how to create epic war scenes involving as many as 50 recognisable characters or more, like he's intending to do more giant battles in the future!
    So I said this with a belief that my opinion actually mattered at least by 1 iota!

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Luffy McDuck's Avatar
    Country
    Finland
    Post Thanks / Like

I found the beginning of this war very boring but it got better after Luffy got to the Marineford but it´s not in the top 5. Yeah, we got to see a lot of big guys there in one place. Also I liked the fact that they actually failed to save Ace (though I´m little disappointed that most time we saw him in One Piece he was in chains ). I didn´t mind about the missing Strahats, it was nice to see some other guys for a chance (Crocodile nad Daz Bones). What I didn´t like were the shorter chapters and the fact that there wasn´t any proper 1 on 1 fighting for Luffy. Just one battle (that would have lasted 2 chapters) would have been nice, but no.

Yeah, we were given more details about many characters seen in Marineford and that´s great and it had to be done sooner or later. But hopefully we´ll see some proper fighting in the next saga. Can you surprass the awesomenes of Luffy vs Lucci, Oda? That´s my favourite manga battle ever.

So this is not in the top5. For example Arlong, Drum, Alabasta, Jaya, Skypiea, Water 7, Enies Lobby and Impel Down were better arcs. But it just might make it to the top 10. Maybe.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Estonia
    Post Thanks / Like

my list:
    1)east blue arc(really all of it)
    2)Water 7 ennies lobby
    3)alabasta and the road there(from until meeting vivi the first time)
    4)skypea arc
    5)marineford arc(I mean the war itself and the road from ID, altough I gotta say dividing it this way is seemingly impossible)

Threfore, as you can see, I pretty much agree with everyone that it lies in the middle somewhere or in the lower half.

16. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

I voted this arc among the top five simply because each chapter toped the previous one. Even so I would agree on it not being better then Ennies lobby. WB death was neither as emotional as when we got to know that Zeff ate his own leg to save Sanjis life or when Nami turns to Luffy and ask him to help against Arlong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razh View Post
    I don't think it's a magic blanket either. But still, it won't stop me from calling it a magic blanket.
    It is amazing how it appeared out of nowhere, though. I never imagined that strong pirates go around carrying magical blankets with them.

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

the war arc only introduced characters though it had so much tension but the battles in it weren't very satisfying .

but the devolpement is absolutly great .
    "[I]If you think I'm gonna sit here idly by and do nothing, then you're right, because that's what I do here.[/I]"

Steven Hyde

19. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Banned 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

I found this arc amazing and great!
    Gotta say something thought:
    The only reason this arc didn't reach a full consesu but indeed it has different feelings in everyone hearts is because of the absence of the straw hat.
    It doesn't matter how great Wb's death is or how harsh is Ace's death after Luffy giving it all to save him.It doesn't even matter how pwnsome most of the fighters involved were with their power because the simple FACT that we happened to learn about them and approach their character without knowing their background or having years to get our affection to them(like for the SH) just make everything a little blurry.

It's not a case that many of us were more emotionally involved with Crocodile and Buggy then with other more powerful characters.

Anyway there isn't a single author beside Oda that can creat a huge arc like this,make it great ,thrilling and all this without using his cast of protagonist but just the secondaries/third ones...
    Last edited by Yans86; April 09, 2010 at 08:21 AM.

New Reply
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast