Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/15/14 - 9/21/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply

Thread: Of all the predictions and theories you make

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Norway
    Post Thanks / Like

Of all the predictions and theories you make

First, hia everyone This is my first post.

I have been following discussions here in the shadows. Waiting for some news of next one piece issue I lurk around reading the odd prediction. But today I became really curious about whether some of you are successful in predicting stuff. Do you keep track of this, and is there some honor given to these people?

Personally I find the whole universe of Oda so rich and impossible to predict, I am really thrown off by the storyline almost every week.

2. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Anduren's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Of all the predictions and theories you make

I think predictions that people make should be cataloged or saved in some form and given credit to whoever came up with it 1st. Though I haven't seen anything like that yet I know that there's a lot of good predictions that come up and eventually come true. It'd be nice if there was a way to acknowledge them when they do happen. At least it could be something for us fans to do while we wait for chapters along with discussing things on the Discussions/Predictions thread. I know there's a search feature and a large library of old Discussion/Prediction threads. But I don't know how easy it is to pinpoint when someone 1st made a prediction that eventually came true maybe months or years later.

The fact that Oda is so unpredictable is what I think making predictions that actually come true all the more noteworthy compared to most other manga/anime.

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Norway
    Post Thanks / Like

Yup. For the occational reader, like me - would be cool to check up on who was the most reliant in predicting stuff

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Freid's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

When members here make chapter predictions, the majority of the time it does not happen the following chapter and we, including the creator, just forget forget we ever made them, so when they happen in Oda's own style and rendition, but correct nonetheless, it just stands as something unforeseen.

Also there are predictions some make, and I myself am a victim of this, that is seen by members and then 10 seconds later it becomes the general consensus, and then the creator becomes irrelevant because everybody quickly accepts it. It is mostly when you state a prediction that is contrary to popular belief that you would stand the possibility of being 'the guy that predicted it'.

Sometimes people also don't really care that a particular person predicted it first, even if they know exactly who. I personally like to give credit where credit is due, if I remember who predicted it.

There are some good theories I have come across here and maybe you should take a look at them. The theories listed here are only ones which I have personally seen, or can remember where to locate and there are probably ones equally as good in the forum not listed here:

Rayleigh - Previous worlds greatest swordsman

What One Piece is

Location of One Piece

What One Piece is - My personal own
    Predictions: Smoker | One Piece
    Why So Serious?

7. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member NoLimit89's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

I was the first to predict that Akainu's devil fruit had something to do with "rock" logia - that was semi correct.

I was the first to predict that Kuma is part of the revolutionary and that his memory would be wiped clean by the world government right after I saw the "we will not meet again, strawhat" scene. - I was 100% dead on.

I wasn't the first to predict that Boa would join the strawhats but I still believe she will - we have to wait and see how that plays out.

I was the first to predict that Blackbeard will get 3 devil fruits or he has a backstory that involves him having 3 personalities or souls or something and that his third devil fruit would be a mythical zoan like a giant tortoise/kraken thing or something - we will see how that plays out too.

My OP Predictions:
    Spoiler show

9. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, that's exactly what I mean lol. Anyway, something to note is that sometimes allot of people assume they were the first to predict certain things, when really it could have been predicted perhaps earlier in the chapter discussion thread they posted the theory in. If the theory aint derived from the specific chapter the theory was posted in, then it could have even been stated in a previous chapter discussion thread, or a different thread all together. There are also other English One Piece communities where other members of those could have predicted the same thing, especially if the particular theory is not so difficult to create and make sense of.
    Last edited by Freid; March 01, 2011 at 07:15 PM.
    Why So Serious?

11. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Schabrak's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

WSJ Pirate Hater's gonna hate

As if you could proof that you were the first one to come up with it, nor that you haven't stolen parts of ideas from other posts or forums.

Just like "What One Piece is" from Freid is general consensus for a long time already and was hinted and predicted to over years already. It's rather a summary of what people had in mind for a long time.

Lord Rayleigh's version of "What One Piece is"[months after we gained info about Rouge or Rogers condition] added nearly nothing to the idea too, just that the gathered treasures would help in achieving the revolution. But using poneglyph weapons seems out of order, not after we've seen those past arcs and Luffy's lack of interest of using those weapons. His band of friends all over the world will be his greatest force.

And there is Geez version, quiet interesting with a orginal touch, it's really one of the few prediction where I would say, credit where credit is due, if it's true.^^

Other people predict every single named character to joing for whatever reason, change their opnion from chapter to chapter, from month to month and could say: I said it first. Really? Sure nobody from Narutofan, Stoptazmo, Arlong Park, 2chan or any other board hasn't come up with that idea before? Even people in this board, in the same thread, post the same idea repeatedly so often that it makes me wanna puke at times. I would say a great deal of people don't even read one or two pages back from the newest to avoid such situations, but's it's annoying at times. Yes, people recreate some, people add a certain touch to something, but that would have also happened if they would have read through the discussion to.

PS: I got nothing against those peole named, but getting credit for a summary of older theories is not really worth a credit. Not if it's something rather obvious already not in my oppinion. I wrote mine on One Piece/Will of D. some months back, should I brag or complain about it, because some of those listed consist of arguments I wrote some time back? No. We got a "thanks" button for that special reason, don't exaggerate it with to much thoughts about originality. I'm happy and grateful with every single one of those!

Don't even know why the Long Time Prediction Thread was moved to the Black Century board, it had some nice ones for the future. I didn't just see it being only important due to the big real life time skip we got last year.
    Last edited by Schabrak; March 02, 2011 at 09:29 AM.
    Twitter - Firm but Fair

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

My theory on One Piece being the Ancient Kingdom as in the Ancient Kingdom is called One Piece, is the general consensus? Yeah, right. You know the theories about One Piece that I have heard though? I've heard that One Piece would be the journey and the nakama Luffy gathered along the way; I’ve heard that One Piece may be an artifict from the Ancient Kingdom; I've heard that One Piece could be an Ancient Weapon, but not once have I read that One Piece is the Ancient Kingdom. You can't attempt to discredit a theory with incorrect statements like ‘every body is thinking it anyway'.

Perhaps your critisisms may be pertaining to the evidence that I provided in the theory, and if so then it is obvious that some of the facts I specified are common knowledge as they were mostly recent events that gave clues as to the nature of One Piece; clues in which most people wouldn't overlook. It aint surprising that avid readers of One Piece will form their own predictions about what One Piece is, based on the same facts I provided. That is the same with many other theories, not only in One Piece, but in other Mangas as well. This is because facts are not all that theories are comprised of, or at least does not have to be all that theories are comprised of. Interpretation and the way two individuals can make sense of the same piece of evidence in their own way and relate it specifically to their own theory can distinguish them from one another.

So in regards to my theory of what One Piece is, Its expected that the evidence I stated would be a popular ground for other theorist to based their theorise on, but I rationalized and related it to my idea and arrived at a different conclusion, whereas another person using the same facts that I did may not have been able to simply say at the end 'I think One Piece is the Ancient Kingdom' and make it sound believable.

Also Just because similar theories of the ones stated are floating around in one or some of the other One Piece communities like Narutofan, Stoptazmo or Arlong Park, does not mean that it should be assumed that every theory stated is stolen. If it is something that ain't so difficult to create then it would be wiser to assume that the same way someone from say, Arlong Park forums is capable of gathering proof stated in the manga in order to make a theory, is the same way a member from Manghelpers could have done the same thing. This would be common in the case of simple and uncomplicated theories that would not require much much elaborate thinking.

However, I agree that it would be presumtuous of individuals to assume that a likely theory that requires minimal thinking, would have been invented first by them. However, in most cases when people say that, they ain't suggesting that they were the first in the world to do so, but merely in the specific One Piece community they stated the theory in, and that is very possible. For example, I read every page of the discussion thread weekly and there have been times where I have quoted my self in order to show that I stated something the week before. Do I think that I was the first to predict them in the world? No. This is a forum so I doubt anyone really expects to be exalted when they predict something correctly. It is just sort of gratifying when they show that they had done.

I like your post title though. ‘Hater’s gonna hate’. For sure
    Why So Serious?

New Reply