Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How do you define the term "Hero" ?

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How do you define the term "Hero" ?

A hero is someone who is wiling to sacrifice something they have for the benefit of others. I consider teachers to be a hero as well as a firefighter. The former sacrifice their time and the latter their safety. They don't need superpowers, but they should still be able to use their abilities for the greater good.

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member steelwingcrash1's Avatar
    A place where KHR is number one - in my heart and mind!
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Same goes for SWAT members, you know, the ones raiding hostage-taking scenes, drug lord hang outs, etc. They've got to be heroes for risking their lives.

But here in our town far from the city, I consider firefighters the most heroic people of all, because they save people from fires - but the weirdest part of all: they're only volunteers! They aren't paid to save people; they just do it for the thrill of seeing fires and saving people.

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Hound of Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member benelori's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

I think hero stands for sacrifice...now heroes who are alive are better than dead ones, but when sacrifice equals will to sacrifice then all is good

Reviewer 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member LoneLobo's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Although this topic is pretty old... here I go.

He (or she) cares first about others or the world as a whole and not about himself. This does not mean that he has to be a role model or someone to look up to. He does the things nobody else can do.
    Count of One Piece Reviews: 38
    Latest One Piece Review: 658

Expect reviews when the chapter deserves it!

Other Reviews: Fairy Tail 223 | HxH 311, 319-320

Interview featuring... ME =P (check it out )

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Roflkopt3r's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm quite glad I just found a person I gladly call a hero: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugh_Thompson,_Jr. Sadly died in 2006.

During Vietnam war he was a helicopter pilot and spotted dead vietnamese civilians. He requested aid for them and found the US soldiers who were hunting down the civilians, so he ordered his crew to shoot down any americans continuing with the massacre.

It requires a massive amount of courage to step in against own army comrades and he really showed that drastically and at the right time. It really was a little easier for him than it would've been for an infantryman, as he was a pilot (which means less afilation to the ground forces, thus him having less of a threat of the guys he's confronting, but this was a great deed nonetheless.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Ochiru's Avatar
    Country
    Finland
    Post Thanks / Like

Everyone has their own personal hero if they have somekind of belief that they want to be granted and you see it as a right thing and that this person is brave enough to do it even tough he may not appear as a hero to someone else.In fiction hero is often described as Superman kind of person who is always right,maybe bit naive,pure from heart and just wants to save people not for the fame of it but for greater good.
    The most showing feature in hero will still always be his courage to change things for better good and the sheer power of will to never give up on his goal in order to save people and to make world better place to live in.
    Also hero is known for his doings so if he has saved numerous people and done things for greater good and such he will be seen as hero for example when Russia attacked Finland there was one sniper who killed numerous amounts of russian soldiers on his own yes he was seen as war hero in Finland because he did it all for his own country but well in Russia they simply tough him as somekind of demon probably.
    Hero is also often seeing unselfish that he doesn't desire anything for himself he just wants everyone else to be happy.

My own hero is often seen as rather serious,dark,cunning,intelligent,cold person from the outside but well from the inside their just showing the cold part in order to keep their own pain and desires hidden away from within but they always choose the right thing to do despite what they themselves would want to.In real life my hero is my uncle who Ive always looked up to and his a lawyer and I want to become a lawyer also

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Genesis's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I would simple define it as someone who can do something you can't but in a way wish could and embodies the beliefs you too believe in.

My personal hero was Steve Jobs. I only wish I could reach his level.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner AJM's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

for me, a hero is someone who will do everything to save you, me, us, Everyone from this world, even how small it is that hero would saved you, and it is not because of fame or money etc. but because he wanted to even without repayment.
    That hero, can be anyone even people with out strength, genius, bravery, clever, etc. as long as he saved anything even little with all his heart.
    It doesn't matter what kind of person he/she is, even he/she is good, bad, evil, trouble maker etc. as long as he save something, now that what you called a hero.
    Quote Quote:
    You don't stand a single chance to win, unless you fight.

New Reply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2