Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/22/14 - 9/28/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Psyren has been licensed by Viz

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つMOLLY༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member xi0's Avatar
    Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Psyren has been licensed by Viz

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    The Publisher takes care of that. But this does not mean that the author doesn't have a say in who can license their manga. But the publisher is usually the one responsible for such concerns.
    Iwashiro's series (Mieru Hito, Psyren) are owned by Shueisha. When you create a manga you have no ownership of the content. The copyright belongs to Shueisha. Because Shueisha along with Shogakukan owns Viz, Shueisha has the ultimate say in whether they license to Viz, or sell the English rights to another company. Shueisha has done this with Gantz for instance, when they allowed to Dark Horse buy the license.

Iwashiro might receive a raise in salary, but who even knows how those things work?

So this gives us hopes on the what we've all been waiting for - which is = A Psyren anime!
    Not really. Viz licensed Muhyo to Rouji and I'd say that's no closer to getting an anime then it was before it was licensed. The advantage Psyren has is that it is still ongoing, and has an opportunity to build an audience.

Just like someone else said earlier, the popularity of Rosario + Vampire in the US hasn't effected it's popularity in Japan at all.
    Last edited by xi0; April 13, 2010 at 07:16 PM.

2. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    Halfway 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

@bob:

Thanks for the clarification mate. I wonder how things worked from the authors side.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Spartacus's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by xi0 View Post
    Iwashiro might receive a raise in salary, but who even knows how those things work?
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie-San View Post
    @bob:

Thanks for the clarification mate. I wonder how things worked from the authors side.
    Manga Authors are payed at a 'set rate' per page - per week.

Payments vary between publishers but Shonen Jump pays at a rate of 12,000 yen (roughly $120 U.S. Currency) per page, and standard chapters are around 20 pages per week. Depends how much there manga sells.

But I hear that Kishimoto (Naruto Author) makes more than $1,250 per page. So, you can assume that maybe Iwashiro is getting paid at least $300-$400 per page? Just a likely guess due to the current sells it has been getting.

Oh, and color pages also has it's own distinguished set of payment.
    So more money comes out of colored pages.
    Not really. Viz licensed Muhyo to Rouji and I'd say that's no closer to getting an anime then it was before it was licensed. The advantage Psyren has is that it is still ongoing, and has an opportunity to build an audience.
    Yeah, but has a potential spark that actually permits flavor above the norm that it isn't just for a normal licensed manga. It's destined for more. The sales are competitive to that of other popular mangas. That alone is enough proof that this is a "minor" step for an anime release. I'm just saying VIZ deals with anime. And VIZ taking notice of Psyren is a huge step and it is a special case. That is all I'm saying.

I'm a Spartacus fan that loves TRON LEGACY...deal with it!

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Jaymie's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by daman246 View Post
    so whats the big hype about viz licensing psyren? explain
    The fact that we can legally own it in English? Scanlations are nice, but it's nothing like owning the official release. Reading manga online is so slow compared to simply flipping through a book in real life.

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

Manga Authors are payed at a 'set rate' per page - per week.

Payments vary between publishers but Shonen Jump pays at a rate of 12,000 yen (roughly $120 U.S. Currency) per page, and standard chapters are around 20 pages per week. Depends how much there manga sells.

But I hear that Kishimoto (Naruto Author) makes more than $1,250 per page. So, you can assume that maybe Iwashiro is getting paid at least $300-$400 per page? Just a likely guess due to the current sells it has been getting.
    I sort of misspoke. Manga-ka have contracts to work for publishers. I imagine they are payed a salary, as well as scale for the per-page breakdown you just explained. However long those contracts are, it basically means you're exclusive to that publisher during that time. Manga-ka who have a flop are still under contract of course, and are paid a salary for the length of their contract, even if they don't put out another series up until that point. This means they obviously make a lot more money when they have an active series running, which makes sense since the manga-ka have to pay their own assistants.

Obviously if a manga-ka has a hit, like Kishimoto had with Naruto. After his first contract was up after a year or two, the salary as well as scale would go up dramatically. This would likely happen as well when an anime is licensed for a series, and maybe when the series is licensed for distribution in another language, probably depending on the licensee.

Yeah, but has a potential spark that actually permits flavor above the norm that it isn't just for a normal licensed manga. It's destined for more. The sales are competitive to that of other popular mangas. That alone is enough proof that this is a "minor" step for an anime release. I'm just saying VIZ deals with anime. And VIZ taking notice of Psyren is a huge step and it is a special case. That is all I'm saying.
    Destined?

I'll agree that Psyren is different than Muhyo, as Muhyo wasn't licensed until after it's run was complete. Muhyo's license was probably much less expensive to license, and Viz saw that the series could potentially translate to the US market than some others.

I will disagree with you about sales though. While Psyren usually sells more than 60,000 copies per volume, and that definitely is not shabby, it's actually more around Medaka Box's totals. It can't compare to Beelzebub, Nurarihyon no Mago, and Sket Dance for instance, who usually sell at or above 100,000 copies per volume. Not counting Toriko, since it comes from an established manga-ka who already had a hit.

Psyren does have the benefit of having enough material for an anime series already though, unlike Beelzebub (which is pretty much a hit), and Toriko (just below where they usually greenlight a Jump anime).

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member hai_Priesty's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

From what I gathered from 2ch's Jump Survival race thread (in the past):

Shonen Jump Mangaka's income :
    1. Contract salary
    A basic pre-determined rate when the contract is signed. I heard everyone gets a standard two year long contracts (extentable) whether Jump find you hopeful for mega-hit or potential crap. (I heard the only exception is Nishio, storywriter for Medaka Box, whose on 1 year contracts. And this exception is probably because he's famous and has other anime and commitments in Light Novels instead on Mangas.)

I heard the rate is very low, just enough for mangaka to sustain.

2. Fee-per-page
    Pre-contracted when Manga starts. (Recontractable.) Big names gets a high fee, but I heard smaller names get very forgettable rates, something like 10,000 Yen (US $110) per page.
    The low rate, so I heard from 2ch, usually is only enough for you to buy your materials and pay for helpers (salaried people whose about 200,000 yen a month per person (US $2200).

3. Royalty, Manga volumes.
    This is where the cream usually is.
    Shonen Jump Magakas gets paid the standard 10% of all the copies Shueisha PUBLISHED for him (not sales).

E.g. Iwashiro Sensei
    Volume 10: Sales at 90,000+
    ie Probable 100k copies published X 390 yen (no tax) /copy X 10% =
    > 3.9 million yen = > $43,000
    (older sales : Volume 3 sold 28k copies on Month 1 and Volume 7, 73k. Gradually increasing.)

Then there are reprints for older issue and about 5 volumes out every year. 3.9m Yen X 5 = 19.5m Yen or $215k USD for 2009.

Top dogs like One piece (2.8m copies per vol?) get much more of course.

4. Non-Manga income
    Like Anime, Drama CD and novels which our sensei doesn't have.....

5. Overseas Royalty.
    Which I have no idea at all how they decide.

Just like someone else said earlier, the popularity of Rosario + Vampire in the US hasn't effected it's popularity in Japan at all.
    I have no idea whether there's any influence, but I think... perhaps it's possible that good reputation / fixed fanbase overseas helps Psyren gets enough attention in Shueisha HQ to get more promotion for it, that may boost its place indirectly in Japan?

....Anyway, excited to hear about Viz license. XD
    Last edited by hai_Priesty; April 21, 2010 at 03:02 AM.

8. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

Hooray for Psyren!
    I'm so happy now!!
    Hope, it will appear in my country, 'cause they publish only Viz's titles in Russia… as well as yaoi(((

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Queenofmuffins's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Woah. I had no idea. ^^
    It'd be interesting to see how they translate the Psyren chapters to English. I'd like to see if we differ on anything when they finally get up to where I started. :3

I do think that being licensed overseas will lead to an anime, but that's just me being optimistic. I've never ever wanted to do fansubbing before but if there's eventually a psyren anime, count me in! \o/

Come by and ask me questions!
    ~Ask me thread~

11. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Delta's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I just about died of happiness when I saw that Psyren had been licensed. But I didn't die, so I had to suffice with happy spazzing for about ten minutes straight. Disappointing that I have to wait until December, but AT LEAST IT'S COMING OUT.

A Psyren anime probably will make me die of happiness. Especially if it gets done by a studio like BONES. Really any studio would be great, except for the studio that did Fairy Tail. :/

13. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member MSofAofCOCA's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs Up Re: Psyren has been licensed by Viz

Quote Originally Posted by Karaulov View Post
    Hooray for Psyren!
    I'm so happy now!!
    Hope, it will appear in my country, 'cause they publish only Viz's titles in Russia… as well as yaoi(((
    russian living in america get's all the hot stuff first (next to japan and china lol xD)

on another note......... i don't buy volumes to much, only character and art books if anything, but a license is a sure sign of an upcoming anime and that prospect is mighty welcomes =D

News Writer 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Asahina's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Does 'Psyren' really deserves to be licensed?
    I mean, it's a total ripoff from 'Bleach'.

It is not like what "Nick Simmons" committed. But you got to realize that it is because 'Nick Simmons' isn't related to 'Tite Kubo' that his "MAGMA" got allot of angry critics and resulted towards a cancel.

Look at Kishimoto & his twin brother who have similar art work & characters.
    People allowed it to slide.

I know that the sales & progress for a manga is one of the reasons for its success.
    But I still feel like something isn't right.

My Point: Psyren isn't original & doesn't deserve to be licensed.

16. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

And way back then people were saying Bleach was a ripoff of YYH.

Also, with licensing it's not about whether it is 'deserving' or not but whether the publishers believe it could do well or not in that country.

Furthermore the Simmons thing was because he was basically tracing and copying the art from Bleach. I haven't seen Iwashiro doing that.

PS: Sword Wielding Psychopomps = Psychics who travel in time to save the world? Lol okay.

Devil's advocate: I can see similarities in some of the character designs.
    Last edited by Waveblade; May 04, 2010 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

18. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Spartacus's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jaymie View Post
    Reading manga online is so slow compared to simply flipping through a book in real life.
    Sorry, but I have to disagree with you.

I actually prefer reading manga online over the official release.

Maybe it's because I'm REALLY addicted to reading manga online. Plus, it depends on which online manga site you are reading at. Also depends on your internet connection, and also depends on what Browser-Programs(Firefox & Chrome) you download to improve the speed rate & reaction for the particular reading site you are using.

For me (before) I would use mangahut (it's dead) to read since it had some very unique features that allowed fast reading ...waaaay faster than reading an actual manga book with your hands.

They obviously make a lot more money when they have an active series running, which makes sense since the manga-ka have to pay their own assistants.
    I totally agree with you.
    1. But, do mangakas really need assistants?
    2. Do all mangakas have assistants?
    3. And when I hear assistant(s)..it feels like you are saying "MANY".
    4. Why do they need assistants anyways?
    5. Can't the mangakas draw their own mangas?
    6. They are around to help their boss provide plot consistency?
    7. To perform personal needs (sexually - body in comfort?) LOL
    8. Getting a drink from a grocery store? Their maids?

....but are they really "manga assistants"? do they go through some program to get hired? or do they just get picked singlehandedly by the authors because of personal relations?

Sorry, allot of question Just curious...

Destined?
    Is there even a need to ask?

Psyren does have the benefit of having enough material for an anime series already though
    Yea, here are the benefits that it obviously has.

1) Character resemblances of POPULAR mangas. (both by art & behavior)
    2) Ideas from a distinct & POPULAR senien manga. (Gantz)
    3) Power & weapon resemblances from other POPULAR mangas. (art & ideas)
    4) The SAME fans of the SAME mangas it gets its ideas or similarities from.
    5) Lastly, Ageha looks like Ichigo with black (blue) hair! If you haven't noticed yet, then get your self an EYE DOCTOR!

The only REAL benefit it has for itself is it's own story plot & comedy!
    And the females that appear in this manga are EPIC (I'm not a perv).
    .....ok, maybe I am.

I'm a Spartacus fan that loves TRON LEGACY...deal with it!

Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

I totally agree with you.
    1. But, do mangakas really need assistants?
    2. Do all mangakas have assistants?
    3. And when I hear assistant(s)..it feels like you are saying "MANY".
    4. Why do they need assistants anyways?
    5. Can't the mangakas draw their own mangas?
    6. They are around to help their boss provide plot consistency?
    7. To perform personal needs (sexually - body in comfort?) LOL
    8. Getting a drink from a grocery store? Their maids?

....but are they really "manga assistants"? do they go through some program to get hired? or do they just get picked singlehandedly by the authors because of personal relations?

Sorry, allot of question Just curious...
    You obviously don't read Bakuman.

1. Theoretically no. I think that maybe some gag manga-ka probably don't have assistants.
    2. Like I said, gag manga-ka probably don't NEED assistants.
    3. It depends on the author. It's common knowledge that Hoshino (DGM) has many assistants. It also depends on the art.
    4. They don't NEED assistants per se. But looking at some of the art styles. Mostly assistants do inking, screentones (grays), and in some cases backgrounds.
    5. The majority of the authors do "draw" their own series. They just need help to make deadlines.
    6. Again, I think that depends on the author.
    7. They're not EMPLOYED to do that. But possible some romances have resulted of it? Not sure.
    8. I doubt that, but it wouldn't surprise me. In Bakuman you see one of the character's girlfriends helping out doing assistant work at times. The manga-ka pay the assistants out of pocket, so depending on what they're technically being paid for, who knows.

It seems to be a word of mouth thing. Also, as we see many former assistants of popular manga-ka ending up with hits themselves, we can assume that publishers may suggest a developing manga-ka work as an assistant to improve their art style or earn money if they don't believe they're at the stage yet where they can be contracted. It comes across as a way to make ends meet while developing your own ideas.

21. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

And another thing about the Bleach thing, Asahina. You go straight to Ageha = Ichigo which is kind of tenuous. I would have taken you more seriously if you compared Dholaki and Nnoitora.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast