Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 595 by BadKarma
New Reply
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Strongest Mages?

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Strongest Mages?

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge D. Dragon View Post
    It's not only about the skill, but also about magical power.
    Its not about sheer magical power either, Erza loses to Natsu with sheer magical power, but Erza uses her Magic to its greatest effect. The Knight is such simple magic(In theory, its just switching out armor) But Erza has enough armor to close the gap in sheer magical power.

A Mage: One who uses magic, Strongest Mage: The one who uses there magic to the greatest effect and has magical power to boot.Erza uses her magic in ways no one (in-universe) expects. So thats why i think Erza is one of the Strongest Mages.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Natsu - for being the main character and a dragon slayer
    Erza - for being the strongest female in FT (I don't see why female can't be equally strong or even stronger than their male counterpart); her display of magical power in childhood seems like telekinesis and ex-quip was something she learned while growing up.

Both are exceptionally strong and positive characters in terms of personality and attitude.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Freid's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

After seeing everyone's list, its painful to see people are forgetting Fried. This guy is a beast, no questions about it and is one of the strongest non S-class mage if not the strongest
    Last edited by Freid; October 04, 2010 at 03:51 PM.
    Predictions: Smoker | One Piece
    Why So Serious?

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Drakk707's Avatar
    What's the point of telling you if you won't know where it is anyways?
    Country
    Dominican Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

Being purely objective:

1-Gildartz
    2-Luxus
    3-MistGun
    4-Mirajane
    5-Erza
    6-Fried
    7-Gazille
    8-Natsu
    9-Elfman/Gray
    10-Lucy/Juvia
    11-Bixlow
    12-Evergreen
    13-Cana (I guess >_>)
    14- Cornell
    Last edited by Drakk707; October 11, 2010 at 09:54 PM.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Lord.Strife's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Natsu using dragonforce would be the strongest atm but since he isn't always using it since hes not pissed of enough his power is generally lower.

Gildartz the apparent strongest man in the guild got beaten by a dragon but a DS can kill a dragon. Also dragon force is supposable the strongest ds magic.

Well i think that that becoming a dragon is the pinicle of a dragon slayer since i think dragonslayer magic can only be taught to infant dragons

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Ares's Avatar
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

My top 10 based on reputation and battle power ''with this top 10 i dont count mystogan and laxus'' would be:
    Makarov
    Gildarts
    Mirajane
    Erza
    Natsu
    Gazille
    Loki '' spirit form''
    Gray
    Fried
    Juvia

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

You know something, I think Fried could beat Erza. Erza doesnt have the advantage Mirajane had over Fried which was the enourmous speed Mirajane had once she transformed which that disallowed him to use his runes. Fried's magic is such a hax and if Mashimo displayed the true extent in which his magic could be used then there is a few mages I can see defeating him. His magic has so many possibilities. But of course, the fight with Lucy and Cana is going to show us how Mashimo in fact does the exact opposite of displaying the potential of Fried's magic and instead Nerfs the shit out of him .
    Last edited by Freid; October 05, 2010 at 03:38 PM.
    Why So Serious?

Scanlator 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member BlackSword's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

As for the 'Freid' conversation Freid's magic by all higher class mages can be 'unwrapped/altered'. Which seems to be its weakness furthermore(speculation only) I see that Erza could probably 'cut through' his magic if she was really motivated similar to if Natsu(Same with Gazille) was pissed enough he could blast through it. And to the guy who put Panther Lilly above Erza... Smack yourself for me please...
    My top 10.
    1.) Makarov
    2.) Gildarts
    3.) Mirajane
    4.) Erza <-- Favorite Female Character...
    5.) Natsu
    6.) Gazille
    7.) Fried
    8.) Gray
    9.) Loki '' spirit form''
    10.) Juvia

"The black blade that cuts your troubles away."
    Spoiler: One Piece Predictions ~ 09/06/2012  show

Supporter of Usopp: Cleavage diving extraordinaire! - 09/29/2010
    My opinions are subject to Radical, Unpredictable, Illogical change without notice.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Nah, I doubt it. If it was possible to counter Fried's runes with power, makarov would have done so when he, Natsu and Gazeel were trapped within Fried's runes in the battle of fairy tail. It seems the only way to undo Fried's runes is by rewriting them like levi did then and in last chapter. Fried's magic is total badass.

Quote Originally Posted by CrownedClown View Post
    And to the guy who put Panther Lilly above Erza... Smack yourself for me please...
    lol
    Last edited by Freid; October 06, 2010 at 04:26 PM.
    Why So Serious?

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Freid View Post
    Nah, I doubt it. If it was possible to counter Fried's runes with power, makarov would have done so when he, Natsu and Gazeel were trapped within Fried's runes in the battle of fairy tail. It seems the only way to undo Fried's runes is by rewriting them like levi did then and in last chapter. Fried's magic is total badass.

lol
    I think you could blast through the runes with DS magic since it so destructive. Natsu with dragonforce was dissolving that shadow guilds magic at the end. But only when a DS get fkn pissed off would that happen.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

It was said the very first time we were introduced to Fried's magic that his spell is Absolute. Also a blast would only touch the barrier if the rule is something like 'Magic cannot go past here' but that is pointless. He's barrier spells are used to restrict someone who doesn't follow the rule he set, from advancing for however long he set it for (Hax). So chances are the blast would simply go through the air and not be stopped leaving the barrier unaffected however powerful the blast may be. Also, the only thing DS magic have an advantage over other magic is its ability to take down dragons. I doubt It would then be revealed that its also the only thing that could render Fried's Barrier spells useless. Unless ofcourse Fried's barrier is a dragon. Fried's barriers can already be countered by levi. Also remember, Fried's magic is also not only the ability to create barriers. He can simply write any rune and whatever he says goes. (Hax). I dont think He's opponents could simply blast them self out of it since there isn't actually anything attacking them physically. Shit, the guy could write any rune on himself and it happens. He could write runes on his opponents and it happens. He can write runes anywhere and it happens. Man, does that spell 'S-class material' or what (strength wise).

Anyway, all this is pure speculation cause we are yet to DS magic against Fried's runes (and may not ever see it). But anyway Mashima tends to go against anything I want. Sometimes I feel like he secretly knows me and does exactly the opposite of what I want like him pitting Fried against the plot armored Cana. ~Note: Mashima is a male not a female~Ghost
    Last edited by ghostexiled; October 06, 2010 at 09:34 PM.
    Why So Serious?

Scanlator 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member BlackSword's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Manga often used the word 'Strongest' to emphasis a point... Yet in the next arc you run into someone stronger... Or someone develops a stronger technique... Just because they say it's the strongest doesn't mean it is... Take for example the first time Natsu, Grey and Erza worked together and MariaJane said 'Fairy Tail's Strongest Team'... Not exactly the truth ya know?

"The black blade that cuts your troubles away."
    Spoiler: One Piece Predictions ~ 09/06/2012  show

Supporter of Usopp: Cleavage diving extraordinaire! - 09/29/2010
    My opinions are subject to Radical, Unpredictable, Illogical change without notice.

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Freid View Post
    It was said the very first time we were introduced to Fried's magic that his spell is Absolute. Also a blast would only touch the barrier if the rule is something like 'Magic cannot go past here' but that is pointless. He's barrier spells are used to restrict someone who doesn't follow the rule he set, from advancing for however long he set it for (Hax). So chances are the blast would simply go through the air and not be stopped leaving the barrier unaffected however powerful the blast may be. Also, the only thing DS magic have an advantage over other magic is its ability to take down dragons. I doubt It would then be revealed that its also the only thing that could render Fried's Barrier spells useless. Unless ofcourse Fried's barrier is a dragon. Fried's barriers can already be countered by levi. Also remember, Fried's magic is also not only the ability to create barriers. He can simply write any rune and whatever he says goes. (Hax). I dont think He's opponents could simply blast them self out of it since there isn't actually anything attacking them physically. Shit, the guy could write any rune on himself and it happens. He could write runes on his opponents and it happens. He can write runes anywhere and it happens. Man, does that spell 'S-class material' or what (strength wise).

Anyway, all this is pure speculation cause we are yet to DS magic against Fried's runes (and may not ever see it). But anyway Mashima tends to go against anything I want. Sometimes I feel like he secretly knows me and does exactly the opposite of what I want like him pitting Fried against the plot armored Cana. ~Note: Mashima is a male not a female~Ghost
    Nah you would be able to destroy the barrier with ds magic. Dragon slayer magic is the most destructive form of magic that has been mentioned so far. To say it couldn't defeat fried barriers given time would mean that rune magic is totally overpower and as you said completely hax.

There are bound to be otherways to bypass or defeat frieds magic. Burrowing underground anyone.

Bt yeah as you said we have yet to see a true match of ds vs rune magic so this is just speculation for now.
    Last edited by Lord.Strife; October 07, 2010 at 05:48 AM.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

@Lord. Strife. If you read my post, it explains why DS magic would not even touch the barrier regardless of how powerful it is. The barriers are set to restrict those who don't follow the rule from advancing. If a blast were to be shot at the barrier the rule set wont effect it and so It would most likely pass through air. Makarov must have known this perfectly well since he did not even attempt any attack at the barrier. He was asked if he could do anything about it and he's reply was 'He's spell is Absolute'. I explained that perfectly well already. Fried's barrier is absolute unless rewritten. That fact is not even speculation on my part since we have already been told that. What's speculation is saying DS on top of having the advantage of taking out dragons, is able to render Fried's barrier's useless too. You might aswell call it 'Fried's barrier Slayer' magic. Its called Dragon Slayer magic for a reason. Also DS was never stated to be the most powerful type of magic. What sets it apart is its unique qualities that enable it to take out Dragons. Makarov magic is probably as destructive. Also I think you are mistaking Fried's runes for like a visible shield. Remember when Juvia and Cana had to fight each other. Juvia kept flying up and Fried told her its useless however high she flies. There is no height limit to his barrier so going underground is useless. the barrier would remain. Also makarov stated that these barriers are not fit for battles. During battles, Fried simply writes runes on either his opponent, himself or the air. If Fried writes a rune on you like he did to Elfman, you cant simply just blast yourself out of it since there is literally nothing physical attacking you and no barrier. Fried's ability is hax, thats just it really.

@CrownedClown. Im not sure if you were talking to me but I agree with your point. Though I find it retarded when mangakas do that. Especially in Bleach.
    Last edited by Freid; October 07, 2010 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Why So Serious?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Anti-panda's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

1. Gildartz (i'd say he's pretty close to makrov .. )
    2. Mirajane/erza ... it's tough to tell who would win out in a all out fight ... But i'd say probably mira ... Even though erza is 7 kinds of badass.
    3. Mistgun (I put him 3rd only because he's not really a member of FT ... standing anymore .. plus ... we never really got to see his magic and what it could really do... aside from the sleeping spell. )
    4. Natsu
    5. Gajeel
    6. Grey
    7-*. Everyone else .. I think given the circumstances of the battle .. and how you pair people up ... the other members of fairy tail .. are pretty even. One person may match up better or worse depending on the fight and terms.

Mest probably falls somewhere around the mistgun / natsu level .. but since we have no idea what he's really capable of yet ... :P
    I'm not counting Laxus ... because he's be excommunicated .. :P

I don't rate Fried much higher than anyone else ... because while his rune magic can be useful .. it is .. both a two edged sword ... and NOT all powerful.. it can be re-written ..and it obviously has limits .. or he could just order people to die .. or pass out .. Plus in a fight i imagine it would be hard to lay down difficult runes ... like the ones he used in the Fairy Fight ... look how long it took levi to rewrite those .. :P
    Last edited by Anti-panda; October 07, 2010 at 10:22 PM.
    In Oda I trust .. Follow me to the sea of dreams.

17. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast