Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/14/14 - 7/20/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi , Bleach 588 by BadKarma
New Reply

Thread: The Battleship Yamamoto

Akhkharu

The Battleship Yamamoto

Okay this is a theory I have that has to do with the current Bleach storyline.

Background info: The Battleship Yamamoto was the most powerful and largest battleship ever constructed. During World War 2 it was destroyed and in Japan (correct me if I'm wrong) it's destruction is seen as the end of an era. The era being Imperial Japan.

Here's my theory: Having the same name and same characteristics as the battleship, I think Yamamoto is dead. I think Kubo is drawing parallels between Yama's death and the destruction of the battleship with both being the end of an era.

In Bleach's case perhaps the end of the shinigami era and the start of something new. Maybe the acceptance of hybrids (vaizards) into the ranks of the shinigami and many of the taboo's of the shinigami society being broken. Maybe I'm reading to deep into things, but everything I've seen draws me to this conclusion. Including what I see as a revolution, betrayal and the deaths of so many people on both side (maybe). The central 46 is dead, Yamamoto is dead (maybe). And with hints toward the "King" of Soul Society in Aizen's sights.

It looks to me like there is a revolution going on and there will be a lot of changes in SS after this war. Whether they be what I think or not. There HAS to be some kind of change in SS. With their governing body dead and possibly the death of their head general... There is NO WAY there can't be any changes. How will Soul Society govern itself with the death of the central 46 and the death of Yama?

Like I said, this is just a theory, feel free to discuss and shoot my theory down, it doesn't matter to me either way. Maybe I'm reading to far into things or maybe I'm drawing parallels to things that don't make sense...

2. Thanks 4 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member DEATHBOTT's Avatar
    Country
    New Zealand
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Battleship Yamamoto

i don't think yama is dead yet but if he does die i don't think soul society will change unless aizan invades with a hidden army (vls maybe?) or maybe by himself if he becomes a god, then there are still strong characters to take charge no other captains have died, and if he does become to strong for any of them to handle thats when i expect squad zero to come into the story. im not expecting a good story im just in this for the cool fights and great character design.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Even if yamamoto dies, orihime can bring him back is a fraction of a second.

5. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member poobert's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

I quite like the idea. It is about time for new captains to be promoted, and out of the blue, long dead captains arrive. The threat of Aizen grows, the new guys are slowly reaching the level of the top guys, it is very clearly the time for a new era.

I always thought Kubo hints at things like this. One thing I noticed was that Isshin carries his sword with the blade pointed down. I looked it up and apparently many people have noticed that too. It is a style that is slightly older than the katana. My guess is that Kubo is hinting at Ishinn to be much older than the current generation of captains.

I don't find it too hard to believe that Battleship parallel either.
    My blog. Not very interesting, but if you are bored and want to burn time, there are pages of junk to read!

7. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member locke002paul's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Akhkharu View Post
    Okay this is a theory I have that has to do with the current Bleach storyline.

Background info: The Battleship Yamamoto was the most powerful and largest battleship ever constructed. During World War 2 it was destroyed and in Japan (correct me if I'm wrong) it's destruction is seen as the end of an era. The era being Imperial Japan.

Hmm, I think the name of the battleship was Yamato( named after the name of the battleship class it was part of), not Yamamoto. Yamamoto was the name of it's Admiral.

Wikipedia

Although I totally agree with your theory. Yamamoto, as Aizen said, was the symbol of a millennium long era. That's why he had to die.
    I think Urahara, Aizen, and to a lesser extent Mayuri are the ones to trigger this change. I mean, two of them were presidents of the institute of technology ( which was the first sign of change in a traditionalist society ), and Aizen uses the greatest invention this institute created to change the world order. So, in a way, Urahara is the spark of this revolution, and Aizen is the revolutionist.

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I think people are looking to much into yamamoto. Representing an era? We know crap about SS and it's history, even if he was to represent something of the sort it would not be very relevant to the story, it'd bring nothing new in. We would not even know what is the difference between him and the new guy... This manga is not that deep lol. Even if yamamoto did die, it'd be an inconsistency considering orihime can resurrect people is fractions of a second.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member locke002paul's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    I think people are looking to much into yamamoto. Representing an era? We know crap about SS and it's history, even if he was to represent something of the sort it would not be very relevant to the story, it'd bring nothing new in. We would not even know what is the difference between him and the new guy... This manga is not that deep lol. Even if yamamoto did die, it'd be an inconsistency considering orihime can resurrect people is fractions of a second.
    We know that Yamamoto founded the Academy which supplied the Shinigami's with most of it's combatants. We also know that he enforced the law and acted as the military arm of Central 46. And as Aizen himself said : Yamamoto is the very history of Soul Society. Link

And while you don't find it that relevant, many people do. A manga is as deep as it's readers make it to be. Some people only watch the main story, while others like a little back-story to it. And I think Kubo made it pretty clear that Yamamoto was the most important figure in SS's recent (2000 or so years ) history. And now that he is probably dead and SS defeated, you can actually feel something has changed in the way Bleach progressed the last chapters. They don't follow the same patterns as it did when the Captains and the Arrancars skirmished. Everything is rushing and coming closer to a conclusion. We will probably have other characters introduced, other forces and groups will be involved ... so yeah, I guess it actually is like the end of an era.

Also, about Orihime, she had problems healing the wounds Ichigo got from Ulquiorra because the reiatsu left behind by him was too powerful. Link
    So far I am not that impressed by her. I'll wait until she'll manage to ressurect somebody more powerful than a few shitty fraccions .
    Last edited by locke002paul; April 30, 2010 at 09:14 AM.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member clodhopper's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I kind of like this idea of drawing a parallel between an Admiral, a battleship and the Captain Commander. However if we really wanted to know I think we'd have to be able to read the kanji for Yamamoto Genryusai and understand the implications of his name, how it's written and how it may or may not be similar to the parallel you're drawing. That said, I still like the idea.

@ pooberb; thanks for the info about the blade down business. I had no idea about that. Might show his age and former rank. Come to think of it, Unohana carries hers in a similar fashion and we know she's old school captain.

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by locke002paul View Post
    We know that Yamamoto founded the Academy which supplied the Shinigami's with most of it's combatants. We also know that he enforced the law and acted as the military arm of Central 46. And as Aizen himself said : Yamamoto is the very history of Soul Society. Link

And while you don't find it that relevant, many people do. A manga is as deep as it's readers make it to be. Some people only watch the main story, while others like a little back-story to it. And I think Kubo made it pretty clear that Yamamoto was the most important figure in SS's recent (2000 or so years ) history. And now that he is probably dead and SS defeated, you can actually feel something has changed in the way Bleach progressed the last chapters. They don't follow the same patterns as it did when the Captains and the Arrancars skirmished. Everything is rushing and coming closer to a conclusion. We will probably have other characters introduced, other forces and groups will be involved ... so yeah, I guess it actually is like the end of an era.

Also, about Orihime, she had problems healing the wounds Ichigo got from Ulquiorra because the reiatsu left behind by him was too powerful. Link
    So far I am not that impressed by her. I'll wait until she'll manage to ressurect somebody more powerful than a few shitty fraccions .
    I find it awkward to end an era without giving any real insight about the previous one though. I am sure yamamoto has been a central figure in SS for the past millenia but the reality is that we really have no detail about what his influence has been like. We don't even know crap about yamamoto himself, most people think he was this deranged authoritarian leader with the most outdated forms of thought plausible but that was only vaguely implied in the anime fillers. IMHO making this out to be a change of an era is looking to much into. BTW, I do like backstories in manga's, quite frankly figuring out the worlds the mangakas create is one of my favorite things about reading them. Thing is, I don't see how kubo could have meant this to be something as deep as a change of an era when we have virtually 0 information about the previous one. I would rather see this whole thing as an act of protection from aizen than a movement to a new era altogether. There barely is no ideological conflict here, it is just aizen wanting godhood while believing things to be inherently meaningless -in that sense, aizen is utterly devoid of ideology- and the good guys trying to stop him.

You have to remember arrancar's reiatsu remains in the wounds and that is what stopped her from healing ichigo. Hachi had a similar problem when grimmjow hurt ichigo before-orihime did heal ichigo rather easily though-. Yamamoto would not have any reiatsu of that nature and him being strong has nothing to do with the resurrection process.

Banned 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

hmm that is intresting but kubo aint know for doing smart lil stuff like this.

yamma aint dead as kubo doesnt kill good guys but i see where the storyline could benefit from it. the dark idea that the SS in chaos as the 'there' pillar has fallen so to speak first the central 46 where killed without there knowledge and yamma falls be a cool idea.

Akhkharu

Quote Originally Posted by locke002paul View Post
    Hmm, I think the name of the battleship was Yamato( named after the name of the battleship class it was part of), not Yamamoto. Yamamoto was the name of it's Admiral.

Wikipedia

Although I totally agree with your theory. Yamamoto, as Aizen said, was the symbol of a millennium long era. That's why he had to die.
    I think Urahara, Aizen, and to a lesser extent Mayuri are the ones to trigger this change. I mean, two of them were presidents of the institute of technology ( which was the first sign of change in a traditionalist society ), and Aizen uses the greatest invention this institute created to change the world order. So, in a way, Urahara is the spark of this revolution, and Aizen is the revolutionist.
    You are right! it was the yamato not the yamamoto >_< but the admiral was named yamamoto. i guess both may be viewed as the end of an era though. since the end of the war signaled the end of imperial japan

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, admiral of japanese navy was Yamamoto. After Yamamoto was killed (intercepted mid-flight by the US and shot down) the morale of the japanese navy went south quickly. The battle of midway+loss of Yamamoto within a year of each other were killing blows to the Japanese war effort.

I like the theory, and I like the idea of the shinigami era being over. Not just that hybrids will be accepted, but that perhaps Aizen will take his seat to the throne, and all shinigami still loyal to the SS would become fugitives and hunted down by those loyal to Aizen. Kind of like a Star Wars Sith takeover kind of thing (Sith take over, all Jedis hunted down, then a resistance force forms with a few Jedi along with other discontented rebels, and take down the Sith empire).

That would actually be sick I think. Perhaps Kubo could even include a timeskip after Aizen's takeover of god's throne to help Ichigo do some real training (let's face it, he's barely trained with bankai at all so far). Also, if Aizen were to be successful and start hunting down shinigami loyal to the SS, that could take out all of Ichigo's competition (competition as in for the one who will dethrone Aizen) so that Ichigo is the only one (or one of few) left with captain-level power.

That would be epic. However, that would stretch out Bleach to a very long time (as if Aizen were to take over, the moment of the take over would only be like halfway through the plot of Bleach).
    Current Theories/Beliefs for Bleach:
    -Barragan and Halibel arn't goners yet-Confirmed
    -Ukitake has an absorb and redirect type shikai (think baby nel vs. Dardonii's cero)-Confirmed
    -The VL army/group that Aizen supposedly has doesn't exist-Pending/Waiting for confirmation on Wonderweiss
    -The Vizards have ulterior motives, by ulterior I mean they arn't just going to be goody-two-shoes and help out the SS that betrayed them just to get back at Aizen-Pending

Akhkharu

yea, im pretty sure that kubo doesn't plan that far ahead. not only that, i dont think that he did research and such before he made the characters, beyond their names and characters at least. i dont think the parallels are real, it was just a theory, but it seems like people liked it :-D

i was watching some older episodes earlier and Shunsui also carries his sword(s) with the blade down. And just going by looks, I would say that Shunsui and Isshin seem to be pretty close in age. :-)
    Last edited by Akhkharu; May 01, 2010 at 12:22 AM. Reason: blades

Horosho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Yamamoto is one of the most common family names in Japan. It's about the equivalent of an American named Smith or Jones. A number of character names are references (Ulquiorra is a reference to furniture designer Patricia Urquiola). It would not surprise me if Genryūsai was a reference to something. Yamamoto is probably to common a name to be taken as a reference in Japan.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted zerocooldx's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I would like to believe that Yamamoto is dead, because it wold help the story line. But in Bleach anyone who is even remotely "good" doesn't die, end of story.

"Upon the back of his body not a wound of retreat scars it."
    One Piece is a series created by a genius, it's a masterpiece, it's like a fine wine, it only gets better with time.

New Reply