Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Bleach 576 by cnet128
New Reply
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16

Thread: Travel Abroad & Tour Guide

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner carlosgmsousa's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Abroad Thread

Quote Originally Posted by goldb View Post
    In Congo? since my birth til about '99 then I've been in the UK ever since. I know my native congolese language, yes. Would you like to travel to the continent one day?
    And what language is that? Lingala? Kikongo? I am a bit of a philologist... I like the study of comparative languages. I mainly concern myself with the Indo-European family (because of my background in Archaelogy) but I like other language families too, like the Bantu family. But I guess I'm going off topic here...
    Everyone lives bound by their own knowledge and awareness. That is called reality. But knowledge and awareness are vague, and perhaps better called illusions. Everyone lives within their own subjective interpretation - Uchiha Itachi

Bobbas Veltez 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member goldb's Avatar
    Country
    Joker
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Abroad Thread

I've answered your post in the language thread. Tell me Carlos, are there any particular cities you want to visit in US and Japan?

Chibi Onihime 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Iceiphoenix's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Travel Abroad & Tour Guide

Let's see... So far, I've been to places along the east coast of Australia (eg. Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, Gold Coast), and I would like to go to the west of Australia one day.
    As for places abroad, I often go to China for holidays and to visit my relatives. Usually, I go to Shanghai, Hong Kong and Macau... I would like to visit Beijing, Chongqing and Hainan one day. Beijing for the historical sites (Great Wall, Forbidden City, Temple of Heaven, etc), Chongqing for the spicy food, and Hainan for the tropical resort experience.
    Other than China, I've been to Toronto, Canada, to visit my uncle. I don't really remember much, since I was only a kid, but I do remember going to see Niagara Falls.
    Recently, I went to Korea, specifically Seoul, the 3rd tunnel in the DMZ, and Jeju Island. It was winter when I went, so it was my first time enjoying the snow! (Actually, I've been to the snow when I was 3 or 4, but I didn't enjoy it, cried and stayed in the car. So yeah, that doesn't count. ) I went with a tour group, so most of the places we went to were for tourists and duty free shopping centres. We mainly shopped in Seoul, but I felt as if I didn't really experience much of the culture. All the places that we went to for meals were specifically for catering tourists... Well, at least we managed to go have a Korean bbq. Anyway, at the DMZ, we went down the tunnel and also went to the viewing platform. I actually managed to see a North Korean soldier through the binoculars. As for Jeju Island, we went shopping, up one of the mountains and went to a spa.

Oh, and for places I would like to go visit in the future, they would have to be Japan, Singapore, Malaysia, Vietnam, the UK, France, Italy, Spain, Germany, and the US. There are other countries too, but those are the main ones I would like to visit.

Aaannnnddddd that concludes my rant.

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

So you haven't been to uluru and the coral rief ? It's funny those two are the big journey I made in Australia because I thought they were must see.

Also for big cities, there is an association called greeters. A volunteer makes you visit the area he lives or one he likes for free. It's really an original way to discover a city andyou generally make a nice encounter.

6. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Chibi Onihime 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Iceiphoenix's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Hahaha, I kind of fail as an Australian. Though honestly, I don't really have much of an interest in Uluru. In the past, tourists were allowed to climb up Uluru, but I'm pretty sure that they've stopped those climbs due to erosion or something. However, I do want to go to the Great Barrier Reef in the near future. I've heard from a friend that it's not as beautiful as it used to be, so it's best to go see it before it's too late.

Ooooh, nice!! Thanks for the info! It would be awesome to see where the locals love to go and experience the culture. Have you ever volunteered or have been shown around by one?

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

At the time I visited it was still allowed but I didn't do it because aboriginals prefered us not to and I wanted to respect their wishes. Instead I made a guided tour arround the rock and I didn't regret my choice. The sunset is also quite a funny experience. You see hundredth of people taking a picture every 2s :-)) but i must say it makes some really beautiful photos in the end.

For the greeters, a friend of mine and myself volunteer in Paris. She has done some in germany and I will meet soon a nice couple in Vancouver which I encounter thanks to the association.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member David Rose's Avatar
    Too far from sea to swim. Still inconsistent weather
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

When I was still in school, my class made a study trip to Scotland. While normally this is about visiting museums and such we got to wander along the whisky trail. Our teacher back then was pretty cool.
    In my opinion it's a fascinating place in gerenal, espcially the landly parts and the people there were very heartwarming and friendly. From a german's perspective i can also recommend the beer there and you ought to visit a destillery, just for the free probes at the end (it's still interesting enough, trust me).

If you ever have the opportunity to get there, visit the Walkers factory sale and buy loads of these:

And never ask a real Scotsman if he's naked under his kilt. Unless of course you really want to find out (we did). And try Haggis, it wasn't that bad for me. :P

>>David rose to beat the Philistines, with five smooth stones and a sling.<<

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member nyamonyamo's Avatar
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been to India specifically Bangalore. Its a nice place to visit if you want to buy beautiful fabric/cloth/silk for very cheap price. Its also 100 times better than all the major cities in India you won't see squatters or millions of people in small space. They got beautiful gardens and grass/greenery even though they exist but pretty rare and usually fenced. You can see huge cows almost everywhere in the city. The police there wear cowboys hat. Entering a shopping mall is like going into airports, they screen you and check your bags for explosive. Mode of transportation around the city is auto-rickshaw a 3 wheeler bike. its fun when the weather is cold and nice but hell if its hot and dusty. And they will always try to cheat you just be firm and ask for meter. Only eat in a proper establishment never road side and even then you still have to worry about food poisoning. Leather attire are cheap, high in quality and very nice.

11. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16