Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Bleach 576 by cnet128
New Reply

Thread: The Curry Thread

Corporate 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member blai's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

The Curry Thread

Curry...

Curry is a generic description used throughout European culture to describe a general variety of spiced dishes, best known in South Asian cuisines, especially Indian cuisine. Although there is no one specific attribute that marks a dish as "curry", some distinctive spices used in many curry dishes include turmeric, cumin, coriander, fenugreek, and red pepper.

In most South Indian languages, the word literally means 'side-dish', which can be eaten along with a main dish like rice or bread.
    Curry's popularity in recent decades has spread outward from the Indian subcontinent to figure prominently in international cuisine. Consequently, each culture has adopted spices in its indigenous cooking to suit its own unique tastes and cultural sensibilities.

Here we discuss Curry as a whole. What have you used curry for and has it worked or not? etc.
    You're not paid to think;
    A mindless worker is a happy worker,
    so shut up and do your job.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Curry Thread

that's curry.

Last edited by Belisar; May 04, 2010 at 05:57 PM.

"The man who is at the peak of his success, and the man who has just failed are in exactly the same position. Each must decide what he will do next."

Jigoro Kano

3. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

indeed thats one type of curry , im seeing actually a different one .

BTW the culture clash section is an awsome idea .
    "[I]If you think I'm gonna sit here idly by and do nothing, then you're right, because that's what I do here.[/I]"

Steven Hyde

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I love how there are so many variation of curries around the world. I usually eat Japanese style curry at home, and it's one of the few meals I can cook successfully. :P It's usually served with carrots, onions, peas, chicken, and rice.

Okay, now I'm hungry!

Queen of The Damned MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Nami's Avatar
    Country
    United Nations
    Post Thanks / Like

Japanese curry tends to be a bit sweeter, in my view. Generally prefer the indian curry, the spices can just make you cry sometimes, that's what makes indian curry richer. And most of the time, you can't figure what goes into the gravy.

▲Away till end June. ▲

Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

I was actually thinking of doing some curry today but I'm really unsure of what to do.
    Either like, Curry stew with lamb or Korma curry with chicken.
    Anyone tried making that and got some tips on which one is the simplest?

Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you cook Curry often, rokh?

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Queenofmuffins's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nami View Post
    Japanese curry tends to be a bit sweeter, in my view. Generally prefer the indian curry, the spices can just make you cry sometimes, that's what makes indian curry richer. And most of the time, you can't figure what goes into the gravy.
    See, that's why I love Japanese curry. I'm terrible with spicy foods! Though I also do love a curry with coconut milk in it.

Come by and ask me questions!
    ~Ask me thread~

Magma♥ MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Akainu's Avatar
    Country
    Bavaria
    Post Thanks / Like

can I haz curry?
    just had some selfmade chicken curry last saturday and while I'm sure there are some more delicious variations out there with curry-leaves and such, it was good enough to leave me desire for more. Ergo, curry is really addicting (wasn't that a manga title?)!

anyway, we didn't use a curry paste - that's thai I believe? - but curry and some of its ingredients as well as onions, carrots and field-garlic for vegetables and yogurt and crème fraîche instead of coconut milk ^^'

*drools*

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Roflkopt3r's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Curry with coconut milk is great indeed

I'm really bad with specifics in this field. It's so hard to judge which restaurants/ingredients are still original and which ones are just "westernized". Although some still use original recipes and just reduce the spicyness a little.
    I do like the indian curry and thai curry, although I'm not certain if it was the real deal for latter one.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Sharikaaria's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Coconut milk sounds like a good idea! It would be richer - definitely not something you'd eat every day, though.

I noticed East Asian curries tend to be not so spicy and are missing a few key ingredients (probably due to lack of availability). I sensed only turmeric and generic curry powder in them at most. Plus, they sometimes add starch to thicken it, which I don't really like.

More authentic curry would contain garam ("hot") masala, which is a blend of many different spices. Wiki it to learn more. Then you typically add turmeric and red chili powder, at least. Depending on the dish you can add cumin seeds or coriander powder. If you have fresh minced garlic/ginger, even better... Of course, their are thousands of varieties. I happen to only know a few..

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member faintsmile1992's Avatar
    Country
    Casterly Rock
    Post Thanks / Like

Curry means sauce, and curry spices mean the spices used in curries. For the sake of context it should refer to south Asian spices. Some of these are native to south Asia, whilst others are naturalised in the cuisine such as cayenne pepper. The food can be cooked in the sauce, or the sauce can be prepared separatey.

Some examples of curry spices are cumin, coriander, cardamon, turmeric, ginger, fenugreek, fennel seed, mustard seed, garlic, cayenne etc. Usually whole seeds as opposed to powders are toasted till they pop in a hot pan first.

---------- Post added at 02:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:30 AM ----------

Has anyone else here made curry bread? I made some baked curry bread, I don't often deep fry bread as the Japanese would usually do it.

New Reply