Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/15/14 - 9/21/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo
New Reply
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Luffy will die when One piece ends.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Tinori's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Luffy will die when One piece ends.

I've thought about this for a while now. I dunno if anyone have bring this up yet.

But I notice there have been a lot of reference to luffy's health throughout the manga ever since he acquired his new technique (gear 2 and 3).

After impel town where he lost more of his lifespan to the poison and now going through all the damage done to him at the marine HQ. I think Oda is setting up the backbone of luffy's early death.

Like many famous pirates before him the talented always die young and it does make for great story/ending.

In 10 years time when one piece concludes, luffy might conquer the seas but his final adventure might end with him self sacrifice for the sake of his crew or another form of early death.

At the moment I can not see him settling down with wife and kids after his adventures. He will go out with a bang.

I think this is possible now that Oda shows us how he can kill a main/loved character in one piece. It will be sad but I think it will be a fitting ending for Luffy and one piece. Live happily ever after have been used too often already..

Just a thought, what does everyone else think?

2. Thanks 6 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Fox666's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Luffy will die when One piece ends.

Just like Gol D. Roger? Well, not sure yet as we don't have details about Roger's disease

If you think about it, it's not real big deal for someone that lives like Luffy to exchange 10 years of his lifespan. Every second he risk his life, he is risking much more than that.

But adding that to Gear Second...? Now he is using Gear Second more than he change clothes. Not sure how much it will take. But based on Chopper warnings, I don't think Luffy would be allowed to use it so many times, let's say Chopper sounded like 50 times is far beyond the limit. Anyone to count how many times he used Gear Second and how many times he used Gear Third until now?

Anyway, Hiluluk dream was to cure any disease. Would it be Chopper task to revert the effects of Gear Seconds?
    Quote Originally Posted by IChallengeYou! View Post
    TOBI IS OBITO

did you say something about timelines?! naruto ate it NOM NOM NOM IT'S GONE.

4. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Roarchu's Avatar
    Country
    Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, you're right. I thought the same about Zoro, especially after thriller bark.

But since it's so fitting and happen in so many stories I think Oda might do something different just for that reason.

And there's still the mystery of the devil fruits. I think I read somewhere, maybe here, something like that there might have been some sort of demon that was really powerful. And somehow it (or its powers at least) got split into the devil fruits.

Also, there ARE mystical zoans, Nyon said that Luffy's survival of ID and MHQ was a "work of the gods", Luffy's survival rate would not hit 0 on Hawkins card reading, and there clearly is a theme of destiny in One Piece. So what I'm saying is that later on it could turn out that there are mystical/divine/whatever beings in One Piece, and Luffy could end up being one of them, or a hybrid, or some sort of chosen one or SOMETHING and avoid death

but I think if any of that even happens he won't turn out to be a superior creature or anything. I think Oda will want to keep him as "just a man"

I don't really like the idea of Gods, etc...but if Oda actually does it, he'll do it right
    Last edited by Roarchu; May 07, 2010 at 02:44 AM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member BlackHair's Avatar
    Country
    Sri Lanka
    Post Thanks / Like

No he won't die. Coz he will have the best doctor in the world in his crew. Chopper will prevent him from dying from any diseases. Since the main protagonist of a shounen story always ends as the strongest, I don't see him dying in a battle either. So no he will survive. Just my prediction :P

7. Thanks 5 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member ZZPallando's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, it depends. "Aging" is not really a disease, is it ?
    The damage he did to his organs is just "aging" them (though gear 2nd or Ivankov's cure). So he might not be saved from that.

But what I find interesting is that line from Luffy (second panel). (Well I also like his face here but it's not related to this topic...)

And Luffy might die, the truth is WB said his "flame" never will...

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member BlackHair's Avatar
    Country
    Sri Lanka
    Post Thanks / Like

WB referred with flame to Roger's will. The will of D.

Anyway about ageing, as far as I know he lost a couple of years (10? 20?), doesn't rly say that he will die soon after Raftet and the big battle against the WG.

The stress on his body from G2 and G3 will be cured from Chopper.

Well after the WB War giving the situation another thought, he might die in great battle against the WG, which WB predicted to come.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Luffy is a rubberman. He just bounces back from everything. Also I don't think that Gear 3 has ever been stated or shown to have a drawback besides making him shrink for the same time as he used it. Gear 2 is the one that supposedly puts the strain on him.

As for Luffy dying at the end... unless by "death" you mean transcendence from the physical to a state of pure jaw, I don't see it.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member bittman's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Depends what you define the end. If by the end you mean Luffy becomes pirate king, gets to raftel, crew splits up, he has babies, fights some admirals named Coby and Smoker, but drops off the face of the earth / dies after all that: then yes. Luffy will die. Whether it's actually shown in the manga or simply hinted, who will know.

I also don't like the Roger parallel on this one. The aim of One Piece should be for Luffy to surpass the Pirate King Roger, not simply match him. Right now Luffy is hardly more noticable than the other Supernovas with the exception that he is Dragon's son: not a feat of his own choosing. If Luffy acheives "just as much" as Roger, then One Piece will be for naught.

I also believe, especially given the more "childish" themes that are used in this story compared to other shonens, that Oda will aim for a "and they all lived happily ever after" ending.

And I can't see Luffy settling down, sure. But could we ever have seen Goku settling down?

I don't know. I still haven't seen anything in this manga to persuade me that it won't be a "and everyone lived happily ever after" ending.

But of course, there has been a lot of mention about Luffy's health lately between the foundation of his gears and Iva's hormone treatment. I feel there must be some repurcussions at some stage, but I'm hoping Grandmaster Doctor Chopper extrodinaire will be able to do something about it in the future when/if it becomes an issue.

Sorry readers: taking a break from my One Piece reviews. Though I love doing them, One Piece Reviews are actually not near the top of my to-do list. Perhaps one day I'll return and do them properly.

Spoiler: My one current One Piece prediction show

12. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

will its just the way life goes , luffy isnt gonna stay young forever he will sure become old and die , and then we'll have his daughter as the new pirate queen .
    "[I]If you think I'm gonna sit here idly by and do nothing, then you're right, because that's what I do here.[/I]"

Steven Hyde

14. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bittman View Post
    Depends what you define the end. If by the end you mean Luffy becomes pirate king, gets to raftel, crew splits up, he has babies, fights some admirals named Coby and Smoker, but drops off the face of the earth / dies after all that: then yes. Luffy will die. Whether it's actually shown in the manga or simply hinted, who will know.

I also don't like the Roger parallel on this one. The aim of One Piece should be for Luffy to surpass the Pirate King Roger, not simply match him. Right now Luffy is hardly more noticable than the other Supernovas with the exception that he is Dragon's son: not a feat of his own choosing. If Luffy acheives "just as much" as Roger, then One Piece will be for naught.

I also believe, especially given the more "childish" themes that are used in this story compared to other shonens, that Oda will aim for a "and they all lived happily ever after" ending.

And I can't see Luffy settling down, sure. But could we ever have seen Goku settling down?

I don't know. I still haven't seen anything in this manga to persuade me that it won't be a "and everyone lived happily ever after" ending.

But of course, there has been a lot of mention about Luffy's health lately between the foundation of his gears and Iva's hormone treatment. I feel there must be some repurcussions at some stage, but I'm hoping Grandmaster Doctor Chopper extrodinaire will be able to do something about it in the future when/if it becomes an issue.
    I have to agree that Luffy needs to surpass Gol D. Rogers the previous Pirate King. The manga has hinted that there is something wrong in the world that is not so obvious and that I think Luffy and his crew will find out something that Roger and his crew has missed?
    I also have to agree: there is no indication at the moment that Luffy will die at the end of the manga.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member OunknownO's Avatar
    Country
    Croatia
    Post Thanks / Like

This is not a tragedy manga, so Luffy will not die in the end. The death's of the ace and wb were necessary for the plot, but the death of the main character is not

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Tinori's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Ace is a pretty important character. By killing Ace Oda broke the barrier of "Death". Because before this arc none of the characters in one piece dies except for nami's mother which is in the past.

Maybe i should rephrase, I think Luffy will die a young man. Maybe 30-40 years old. But i agree there is a high chance he will have a happy ending.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member bittman's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tinori View Post
    Ace is a pretty important character. By killing Ace Oda broke the barrier of "Death". Because before this arc none of the characters in one piece dies except for nami's mother which is in the past.

Maybe i should rephrase, I think Luffy will die a young man. Maybe 30-40 years old. But i agree there is a high chance he will have a happy ending.
    http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showth...29#post1828529

The barrier of "death" in One Piece is a misconception. More people have died in One Piece than most mangas, but people who typically mention this are used to "main characters" dying in things like Naruto and Bleach. To be honest, I've never seen a "main character" die in Bleach, just a million forgetable villains, and Naruto has really only killed off 3-4 or so "main characters".

What most people think of when they see a "lack of death" in One Piece is that villains don't seem to die at the end of arcs in One Piece as much as villains in just about every other manga do. So because Oda lets his villains live, he has put up an image in some people's minds that he doesn't actually kill off characters often.

And just because Oda killed off someone who was almost a notable secondary character, it doesn't mean he's going on some dark emo killing spree of characters. More that Oda wanted to get across that the New World is going to be a little more serious in the tones of life and death, but even then I expect a lot of people to just flat out refuse to die.

Anyway, that's all a bit off-topic. I can sort of potentially agree with what you're saying about Luffy dying at 30-40 though, but again Oda just might never show Luffy meeting his end.

Sorry readers: taking a break from my One Piece reviews. Though I love doing them, One Piece Reviews are actually not near the top of my to-do list. Perhaps one day I'll return and do them properly.

Spoiler: My one current One Piece prediction show

19. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Umm al-Qaiwan
    Post Thanks / Like

I think there's been far too much foreshadowing for Luffy's death NOT to be shown.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member OQO's Avatar
    Country
    Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tinori View Post
    At the moment I can not see him settling down with wife and kids after his adventures. He will go out with a bang.
    That's how I see it too. He will go out with a bang, or... just make the world believe it!! I'm sure that his death, if it occurs, won't be shown but will be epic. Oda is gonna leave us to wonder, with just one certainty: his Will is going to live forever! In oneway or another Luffy is going to leave to the next new era what Gold left to this era: the hunger for adventures and a life worth living.

"Woooohooo! What a wonderful SIMMETRIA!!" ... Death the Kid(do)

New Reply
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast