Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/25/14 - 8/31/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 507 (2)
New Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Ace tells a major secret to Luffy upon his death.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Norway
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ace tells a major secret to Luffy upon his death.

Definitely was something major beeing said there, not some stupid say my last words for me thing. You see luffy's eyes and expression when he's beeing told, aswell as Ace's serious like expression. But once he's done saying it you see the "And", he's saying that with a clearly louder voice and a lot more tenacity. He's putting his last shreds of life in to it and shouting his thanks out to everyone, it's a complete turnover from when he was whispering to luffy!

Definitely a future flashback moment, and I like it.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member bittman's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Darek Khort View Post
    @kkck - But, why would that be what he said to Luffy, if he is just going to say it to everyone anyway?
    Why would Ace tell Luffy something and ask him to tell it to everybody else, when that is exactly what he did himself? Just a waste of panels?
    How did he say it to everyone? Where does he say it to everyone? Does a double page mean he got himself a megaphone and broadcast his dying choked whispers to the 1600+ people who made him feel like living on. People probably not kneeling next to him in a pool of blood wouldn't have a clue what he was saying.

It's never a waste of panels to hear a man's dying words. Would you prefer it to be like: Akainu fists > Ace dies immediately. This is a shonen, everyone has some sort of dying line.

Quote Originally Posted by NoLimit89 View Post
    That's what I thought the first time I read the chapter as well ^^^, the whole Ace must be just saying goodbye to Luffy.

However, the defining panel is the bottom middle panel.

http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/574/12-13/

Especially when Ace said "AND ...".

He told Luffy the secret and now he's ready to say "thank you so much".

Besides, Ace is older than Luffy and has been with WB's crew for a while, he is bound to know something about the world that WB's crew knows and some old timers know that the common people doesn't know. If Ace knew ANYTHING, that was the only time he can share it with Luffy.
    It's, as per the translation: "And....Luffy..." He places the person who was most important in his life, and the one person he wanted to hear these words, at the end of the sentence. Let me take out the ellipses and show you a formed sentence:

"My voice is getting too quiet. Luffy, I want you to listen to what I say now and tell it to the guys afterwards

Old man. All you guys. And Luffy.

Even though I've been good for nothing my whole life, Even though I carry the blood of a demon within me

You guys still loved me. Thank you so much."

All the ellipses are used to show Ace's trouble breathing as he slowly dies. You think he talked that slowly over most of the chapter to then spurt out the secrets of the world?

And Ace probably wanted to share a lot of things with Luffy. You think he could just put his organs shutting down on hold for a few minutes whilst he catches up with his younger brother? Ace left his dying will and thanked Luffy. Heck, after this flashback we might get a repeat of these words as Luffy finds Ace never thanked him for anything in his entire life.

EDIT: And Luffy's eyes are shocked to match his stunned expression. He cannot imagine Ace, the brother he has always chased from behind, dying in front of him. Tell me how quietly stunned you get if your brother comes to you and says "Oh, about to die. Pass this message on to everyone please because I won't last that long."
    Last edited by bittman; May 10, 2010 at 09:17 PM.

Sorry readers: taking a break from my One Piece reviews. Though I love doing them, One Piece Reviews are actually not near the top of my to-do list. Perhaps one day I'll return and do them properly.

Spoiler: My one current One Piece prediction show

3. Thanks 4 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe he said "sabo still alive..."

5. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Darek Khort View Post
    @kkck - But, why would that be what he said to Luffy, if he is just going to say it to everyone anyway?
    Why would Ace tell Luffy something and ask him to tell it to everybody else, when that is exactly what he did himself? Just a waste of panels?
    Waste of panels? You mean the last words of luffy's brother, the second division commander of the whitebeard pirates and the son of the late pirate king are just a waste of panels? Those words, even if not the pinacle of eloquence, were immensely important, they acknowledge ace's finally saw meaning to his life and was happy to live. Up to that point ace had really not know how much people cared about him. But yeah, according to you ace last words were a waste of panels

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Finland
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm agreeing with bittman 100% since how Ace could even talk very loud or easily when his internal organs are mostly roasted around the are where Akainu punched?!
    There was some note about Kuma telling Rayleigh a secret http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/513/11/ . well there he says something, but he might refer Luffys origins, or something about blackbeard or anything.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member monkey D luffy's Avatar
    Country
    Israel
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dark lord View Post
    i thought he told him to tell everyone thank you wasnt that it .
    i thought the same thing. i think we are diggin in the wrong place here. im more interested in what kuma told rayleigh
    my new dragons:

9. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Darek Khort's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    Waste of panels? You mean the last words of luffy's brother, the second division commander of the whitebeard pirates and the son of the late pirate king are just a waste of panels? Those words, even if not the pinacle of eloquence, were immensely important, they acknowledge ace's finally saw meaning to his life and was happy to live. Up to that point ace had really not know how much people cared about him. But yeah, according to you ace last words were a waste of panels
    Gah, you guys are all misinterpreting what I said. What I meant by waste of panels is if he told Luffy to tell everyone his Thanks, then he says Thank You to everyone himself.
    I don't mean that him talking is a waste of panels. Of course it isn't.

11. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

i don't think the goodbye i love you guys was what ace said before that, cause i mean in no way what-so-ever does luffy look like he is talkin' only ace. i think it really was something..he has to leave something behind for his brother? no?

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

maybe it's about luffy's real mother? hmm who knows..i'm curious to know what kuma told rayleigh, unless he was telling him the amount of days it takes before the strawhats are sent flying back but that doesn't sound very exciting

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Razh's Avatar
    Country
    Croatia
    Post Thanks / Like

We saw every Ace's word. No big mistery there. He wanted Luffy to tell everyone how he felt since Luffy was the only one who could hear what he was saying. Like bittman said, it's not like he took out a friggin megaphone out of his pants. And just the fact that those text clouds were shown on panels with a lot of people, doesn't mean that everyone heard it.

That line - "And...Luffy...", has a continuation on further panels. It's not like the situation with Kuma and Rayleigh where it was certain that Kuma said something.
    Here it's just a dying man, with the burned insides, struggling to speak his final words. To express his thanks for all the people who had accepted him as an equal. That's all there is to it.

Frankly, I feel a little dumber for posting in this thread, but I couldn't help it..

EDIT: Now that I think about it, he might have told Luffy that the treasure they've collected is under the tree in the back of Dadan's house.

EDIT2: Doesn't this pic look like Ace had a little too much ketchup?
    Last edited by Razh; May 16, 2010 at 10:22 AM.

Heh
    Prediction: Dragon will appear on Fishman Island!
    Challenge Gilferbeast!!!

(thank you pupil "fuck you razh" -> made me lol)

15. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner OPWillOfTheD's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

yeah, i might of overlooked into it. just felt like deleting it since its been discussed and it doesnt seem to go any where.
    Last edited by OPWillOfTheD; May 16, 2010 at 11:57 AM.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Ashura_Ichibugin's Avatar
    Country
    Turkey
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Razh View Post

EDIT2: Doesn't this pic look like Ace had a little too much ketchup?
    No, it is tabasco sauce. It is so hot that he is sweating and crying.
    Spoiler: One Piece Predictions show

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member RezzieThaRapper's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey here's my little 2 cents in the discussion

At the bottom right side of the page, with an itty bitty nudge toward the left

When Ace says "and tell it to the guys afterward" there is another speech bubble with a long "............................." followed by an exclamation point"!" and a question mark "?" so it looks he is saying something and that it was Oda's intent for it to be perceived as a secret to be told afterward "http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/574/12-13/"
    I have an opinionDon't hate me for it...

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Razh's Avatar
    Country
    Croatia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RezzieThaRapper View Post
    When Ace says "and tell it to the guys afterward" there is another speech bubble with a long "............................." followed by an exclamation point"!" and a question mark "?" so it looks he is saying something and that it was Oda's intent for it to be perceived as a secret to be told afterward "http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/574/12-13/"
    It's Luffy's bubble and it seems that he's starting to realize that Ace could actually die. Hence the silence, the frightened look and the exclamation marks.

Heh
    Prediction: Dragon will appear on Fishman Island!
    Challenge Gilferbeast!!!

(thank you pupil "fuck you razh" -> made me lol)

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member NoLimit89's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Razh View Post
    It's Luffy's bubble and it seems that he's starting to realize that Ace could actually die. Hence the silence, the frightened look and the exclamation marks.
    You may be right but we won't know until Oda reveals it. This is the same as back when Zoro and Luffy first met Blackbeard.

http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/225/17/

Oda has a knack of hiding information in his text that could be interpreted differently at a later date. You may interpret that panel as just Zoro and Luffy referring to the Blackbeard Pirates as "they", BUT it may also be that Zoro or Luffy sensed that there's something wrong with Blackbeard and that he may have three souls or something like that inside him. (Hence the three faced pirate flag and the possibility of a third devil fruit).

My point is, it is a VERY OBVIOUS and STRAIGHT FORWARD way of looking at things to interpret Ace's last words to be just saying goodbye. In fact, that was how I interpreted it the first time I read through it. However, it would make a much more interesting story, and it is certainly within Oda's nature, to hide some information in those panels. It is not entirely outside the realm of possibilities for Ace to share a secret at his dying moments (if he had any that is), and it certainly would have fit with the context of those panels.

My OP Predictions:
    Spoiler show

New Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast