Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply

Thread: Confidential Assassination Troop

Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity segua's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Confidential Assassination Troop

Title: Confidential Assassination Troop a.k.a. КЭТ, 密殺戰群, C.A.T.
    Genres: Seinen, Action, Mature, Sci-fi
    Author: Fung Chin Pang
    Artist: Fung Chin Pang
    Publication: Tong Li
    Start Date: 2003
    End Date: N/A
    Number of chapters at review: 17
    Number of chapters read by reviewer: 17

General Overview:

A game has been toss out into the world by the director of the CIA, Alvas. A game where the participants aren't even aware that they have been included. The stakes are high as the China, Russia and the U.S.A. are all participating whether they like it or not. Due to the manipulation of Alvas, a clash between CAT, Russia's Bear unit and China's top agent Hao Long resulted. This sent the international community into a frenzy as to what's going on. Of course, the intrigue of the game is why?

Category Ratings: (1-10 scale)

Art: 9

Rough and edgy but well illustrated manga. The realism is expressed well with Fung Chin Pang's art style.

Plot: 8

This manga turned out to be more of a drama story than action. Of course the action is top notch. I wasn't expecting a shift in the focus of the story. Although one could say that the first few chapters was just a teaser. The progression of the story might seem awkward to others unless one keeps in mind that of simply one thing. But, I'll let you figure it out.

Characters: 8

Very unique yet odd cast of characters. Not too much is given about each one but a little background to build each character up. Yet, the flaws in each character is quite welcomed because of the level of position and prowess that has been endowed to each character.

Theme: 10

What is value of life to each person? How is that value conveyed to those surrounding a person? Even though I phrase two questions, these types of philosophical questions, especially, about life has been asked over and over by mankind throughout the ages. Why am I here? What is my purpose. It doesn't matter who or when, the answers to these questions will also be in a form of a personal journey.

Originality: 8

The setting and place of battle is quite intriguing. I suppose that this work is like a refreshment due to the fact that the mangaka is Chinese. Personally, the heroine is cliched but the plot itself is what truly makes this manga shine. This has caused some shift in how the story is presented. Either way, to involve powerful nations into a personal agenda of sort is fascinating.

Overall: 9

It must be my imagination but Fung Chin Pang might be writing this without really having thought out the full story. I hope the author hasn't created something too complex for himself. But so far, C.A.T. was a wonderful read. It was one of those manga that a person just has to keep reading out. The level of action and non-action scenes were well balanced. The violence was well justified and not unreasonable which was good. Thus far, the story has been building up good momentum.

Spoiler: Scenes from Confidential Assassination Troop show
    Last edited by segua; June 28, 2010 at 01:51 PM.

(Please read from right to left.)

New Reply