Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by kewl0210 , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Blackbeard's Strength

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Razh's Avatar
    Country
    Croatia
    Post Thanks / Like

WSJ Pirate Blackbeard's Strength

I noticed it was very popular topic. So why not have a thread for it instead of discussing it in half of already existing ones.

We can theorize about his abilities, compare his strength with other characters, speculate how he would fare in fighting them and so on.
    No insulting, no giving silly nicknames to other members.
    If you see it, report it.

I won't go discussing it in the first post already. Let's wait for some response first.

Heh
    Prediction: Dragon will appear on Fishman Island!
    Challenge Gilferbeast!!!

(thank you pupil "fuck you razh" -> made me lol)

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Green Grin Re: Blackbeard's strenght

Okay, then let's get started I guess....

Let's take a look at the facts:
    • Teach had a bounty of most probably ZERO Beri (due to Senghok's reaction when he heard the name of "Blackbeard/Kurohige" which was absolutely unknown to him.
    • He killed Thatch - commander of Whitebeard's 4th division - without devil powers and defeated Ace - commander of Whitebeard's 2nd division - partially because of his Yami yami powers which deactivated Ace's intangibility.
    • Starting from Jaya he wanted to fight pirates with a bounty of 100,000,000 Beri minimum
    • He thinks, that pirates may -no- should have a dream they should realize.
    • He now is a Shichibukai - that means the WG & the Marine acknowledge his power and strength.

I'd say Teach is a clever person that doesn't act as bluntly as Luffy does. His only weakness by now seem to be the negative effect of his devil power:
    • He takes double damage on a hit. Sorry, my one.
    • He is tangible - though Yami yami no mi is a Logia fruit.

We haven't seen anything about his willpower and if it leads to some haki effect. So... I don't know how strong he really is - since I don't know how he's able to counter other ones' attacks.
    Last edited by deffkryz; April 12, 2009 at 09:25 AM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member BlackHair's Avatar
    Country
    Sri Lanka
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Blackbeard's strenght

Tbh I don't like him. He used WB for decades just to get the fruit. Imo it may be clever, but somehow sneaky and without pride/honour. Also since the introduction of haki, his ability doesn't seem to be that much of a baddass, as we thought. Apart from that, it's hinted that he is going to be the final villain.
    • He served WB for decades, which lets conclude that he posses over experience on sea and fighting.
    • He posses over high physical endurance and power (I believe he is equal with Luffy on that)
    • It is hinted (I believe) that he is the strongest logia

Quote Originally Posted by deffkryz View Post
    He takes double damage on a hit.
    He takes damages as much as normal would do, or more, but not double.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner [lucci]'s Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

If Blackbeard has shown all his powers I think luffy could beat him right now... he beat Ace just by punching him and punches don't affect luffy unless they are as strong as Garp's, but I'm not sure wether he has already shown everything

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Razh's Avatar
    Country
    Croatia
    Post Thanks / Like

@blackhair:I agree with you on that. Other pirates, such as Luffy, Roger, Shanks or Whitebeard were never hiding under someone. They never waited for something to happen.

Blackbeard spent decades in Whitebeard's crew just to find Yami Yami fruit. He was hiding, until he got what he wanted, and then decided to become a captain. Now, instead of going the hard way he again hides under a big name, being a Shichibukai.
    The guy plans and waits for opportunities and then acts when it's easier than it would be. He may be dangerous and strong, but that way, he'll never be able to compete with Luffy, at least not in this manga.

Putting him as one of the strongest people now is also a mistake. He just became a captain, and he can still progress. I already said so, and I still think that he missed a couple of big fights while he was in Whitebeard pirates. His bounty of 0 proves it.
    @deffkryz: Kuma said to Moria that Blackbeard's bounty is 0.

He has beaten Ace. But it wasn't exactly a walk in a park for him. There are a lot of people who are stronger than Ace.

He scratched Shanks over his eye. That's not really much. It was obviously a superficial scratch, otherwise Shanks would have an eye patch now.
    And that was some time between Roger's execution and beginning of One Piece. Shanks already had his flag then.
    Since that time, Shanks was going the hard way, probably fought a lot of battles and eventually became one of Yonkou. All that with only one hand. It's obvious how strong he is, from what we saw on Moby Dick. And it looks like he mastered Haki.
    I don't think Blackbeard, who hasn't lived his life to the fullest all the time, can fight Shanks or Whitebeard, right now. He knows that. That's why he became a Shichibukai. It's a safe place to be.
    He'll probably become stronger with time. People do get stronger in One Piece. Maybe he'll even lose some weight. It doesn't look like movement speed is his mayor strength.

Heh
    Prediction: Dragon will appear on Fishman Island!
    Challenge Gilferbeast!!!

(thank you pupil "fuck you razh" -> made me lol)

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Gecko Moria's Avatar
    Country
    New Zealand
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Blackbeard's Strength

Blackbeard's Devil Fruit the Yami Yami No Mi:
    Quote Quote:
    The major weakness of this particular fruit, however, is that the darkness the user transforms into swallows up everything, including attacks. So unlike most Logia users, the user of the fruit is still vulnerable to attacks as they cannot turn into darkness in order to dodge them. If they fail to absorb the enemy's attack in time, the user can be hurt like any other normal human being or even more, as stated by Teach.
    Is this weaknesses a natural property of the fruit that can not be solved or is it that Blackbeard has not reached the full potential of his fruit yet?

Thanks to ~Coffee~ for the avatar and signature.
    Everything is possible: The impossible just takes longer.

One Piece|Gecko is bored, go post something~|The Tennis Thread

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member RichardMNixon's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not really sure why his bounty is zero, he's ransacked entire islands. His crew obliterated the government of Drum and he messed up Banero pretty bad too, I'm sure there were some more in between.

His punches could probably hurt Luffy pretty easily because they can deactivate his DF. Also don't underestimate Ace's natural strength, Luffy and van Auger both commented on it. I think BB is at least as physically strong as Lucci and most likely a good bit stronger.

Compared to whatever it is Rayleigh (and maybe Hancock's sisters) can do though, his DF still seems kind of disappointing. It would be better if he had more control over gravity than he's shown so far. He only used the vortex on Ace, but could he use black hole to create a huge gravitational field all around himself, crushing people against the ground?
    The Grain Pirates. Scourge of Spelt, Corsairs of Corn, Rogues of Rye, Buccaneers of Barley, the Freebooters of the Farmland.
    What reason is there to stop a man from sailing?

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RichardMNixon View Post
    I'm not really sure why his bounty is zero, he's ransacked entire islands. His crew obliterated the government of Drum and he messed up Banero pretty bad too, I'm sure there were some more in between.

His punches could probably hurt Luffy pretty easily because they can deactivate his DF. Also don't underestimate Ace's natural strength, Luffy and van Auger both commented on it. I think BB is at least as physically strong as Lucci and most likely a good bit stronger.

Compared to whatever it is Rayleigh (and maybe Hancock's sisters) can do though, his DF still seems kind of disappointing. It would be better if he had more control over gravity than he's shown so far. He only used the vortex on Ace, but could he use black hole to create a huge gravitational field all around himself, crushing people against the ground?
    BB bounty was zero because he didn't do any of those things until very recently. I guess he didn't left enough evidence in drum kingdom for them to actually put a bounty on him. As for the banaro island, that was the very thing which made him a shichibukai, I doubt the WG would give him a bounty just to make him a shichibukai seconds later.
    I think we have yet to see what BB is capable of, what we saw was just a sample.
    Also, take a look at this:
    http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/441/05/
    BB could have sucked ace there just like he did with the town, he simply chose not to do it in that moment.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member RichardMNixon's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Agreed, and like Doflamingo's power this one might have had some discrepancy between anime/manga in terms of speed. Page 4 in particular makes it seem much faster than the anime dragged it out to be.
    The Grain Pirates. Scourge of Spelt, Corsairs of Corn, Rogues of Rye, Buccaneers of Barley, the Freebooters of the Farmland.
    What reason is there to stop a man from sailing?

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Finland
    Post Thanks / Like

i think it's obivous that blackbeard is strong

and from going of the story it seems like he might be luffys biggest opponent

not sure is he aiming for luffy anymore though because he got ace instead for a chichibukai title (that was the reason for him to target luffy?)

but still there is always a stronger guy

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Just to bring up the chapter with BB's bounty:
    http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/474/12/

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Malaysia
    Post Thanks / Like

to me, for somebody that is acknowledge by someone as great as shank, he is a real bad ass... shank even come to see WB to warn him about BB.. luffy had once said that his brother ace was more powerful than him(luffy-and during that time had gain his df power) even before he ate the mera mera no mi.. so as we see, BB>>ace even in hand to hand combat..
    the other thing is, in one piece, bounty is not equal to power.. so, not having a bounty doesn't mean weak.
    to me, right now he is much2 more powerful than luffy.. not only in term of df ability.. mavbe on par with admiral and yonkou.. not whole yonkou crew but only the captain..mano o mano maybe

and i think he will be one of luffy biggest opponent in order to become the pirate king.

Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Rotten The Wizard's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Well He hasnt mastered his DF as yet, that will take him a while given its complex nature. He can improve to a level like Crocodile's, it reacts on impact. Then he would really be invincible.

And just imagine if he sucks in someone with "Liberation" o.O' instant ownage.
    He's strong but not insanely strong, yet.
    Horrendous are the days that I ravage these seas!

One Piece is the most epic manga out, I kid you not.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Gecko Moria's Avatar
    Country
    New Zealand
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rotten The Wizard View Post
    Well He hasnt mastered his DF as yet, that will take him a while given its complex nature. He can improve to a level like Crocodile's, it reacts on impact. Then he would really be invincible.

And just imagine if he sucks in someone with "Liberation" o.O' instant ownage.
    He's strong but not insanely strong, yet.
    His weakness in not being able to let attacks pass through him is not that crippling however because of his incredible strength. However, I think the fact that he has not fully mastered his Devil Fruit makes him more interesting (like Luffy) as we can ook forward to how he will evolve and become stronger.

Thanks to ~Coffee~ for the avatar and signature.
    Everything is possible: The impossible just takes longer.

One Piece|Gecko is bored, go post something~|The Tennis Thread

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Why are we assuming BB hasn't mastered his DF for all we know he has already had his fruit for quite some time.

New Reply
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast