Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 507 by Bomber D Rufi

View Poll Results: Sabo - dead or alive?

Voters
152. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dead - by the hands of St. Jalmack

36 23.68%
  • Dead - on some later adventure

1 0.66%
  • Alive - living in peace

1 0.66%
  • Alive - sailing the sea as pirate

11 7.24%
  • Alive - fighting for the Revolutionary Army

103 67.76%
New Reply
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Sabo Thread

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Uriel's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sabo Thread

It could be that He commanded the ship to go because the fact that He may not be able to take his whole crew with him when He flights.
    So He traveled alone when they were far from the reach of the Tenryuubito to spy. Then He saw Sabo and helped him somehow.

But again, I do think it's too many circumstances to consider it a solid story. At this point, my logic says that He's death by now...But I seriously WANT him alive.
    The Sky is pouring
    The wind is blowing
    The sea looks red,
    a surging sea of flames
    looks like the entrance to hell
    'Perfect', the captain said.

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Bugzee's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Sabo is alive. As I myself and others (I think) have said before on several occassions, Sabo's dream perfectly ties in with the other SH's and I honestly believe that it would awesome if he was the last member to join them on their adventures in the GL...

About the voting poll options:

Dead - by the hands of St. Jalmack
    Dead - on some later adventure
    Alive - living in peace
    Alive - sailing the sea as pirate
    Alive - fighting for the Revolutionary Army
    Alive - ? Whereabouts unknown for the time being. *Me votes for this option. *

It's more likely that if he is alive, he would be with the RV's atm but I'll hold my judgement on that matter for now.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity DARK's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Most likely Sabo is alive. I don't think that he is fighting for the Revolutionary Army, though.
    Sabo says he wants the freedom of sailing out to sea, something he never got at home. If anything, he wanted to escape his heritage as a nobel not confront it head on. He rather die than to continue his role as a member of a nobel family. Most importantly, Sabo wanted freedom and nakama who truly cared about him, not his stuck-up parents. I still believe Sabo is somewhere in the New World, with his own crew.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

^I also think sabo is alive although I do think he'd be a part of the revolutionary army. I think that would make the most sense. Unless there is a mistranslation, I'd think this part shows sabo being saved by the revolutionaries. I think it'd make perfect sense for sabo to join the revolutionaries. He wanted freedom for himself, that is true but there is no reason for him to not be capable of getting that with them. He could have easily chosen to join the army and fight for freedom, for something which he considered greater than himself.

Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Black Lagoon's Avatar
    Country
    Morocco
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that he´s alive but has amnesia, although I guess that when he saw Ace in the newspaper and read about his death he might have had a flashback to his childhood, and so remembered things like trash mountain, Dadan, Ace, Luffy ...

Sig Credit : Shinsatsu
    Quote Originally Posted by zerocooldx View Post
    In terms of pure intelligence and mental capacity the title belongs to Itachi. The guy could make a cat bark if he wanted to, and do so without his Sharingan.

MH's Best Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Unless he has amnesia, as Black Lagoon suggested, I think he is almost certainly dead. There is no way he wouldn't have been there trying to stop Ace's execution otherwise. He also would have let Ace and Luffy know he was alive long before that.

I mean, Ace had become pretty renown so it's not like he wouldn't of known how to get a hold of them.
    Last edited by Jammin; August 18, 2010 at 12:10 AM.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]
    Otogi Taisen Fantasma [Esp. for Harem Fans]

7. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member tret16's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

well i personally believe that Sabo is alive, and it's because of one main reason and that would be the fact that Oda doesn't seem to let characters die that way. By that i mean that all he showed was Sabo's hat after they destroyed his boat. If you look at the others who have died in the manga, Ace and Whitebeard died on paper and in the sight of all the others. Ace died in luffy's arms and whitebeard died and then he got his powers stolen from him.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member bittman's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
    Unless he has amnesia, as Black Lagoon suggested, I think he is almost certainly dead. There is no way he wouldn't have been there trying to stop Ace's execution otherwise. He also would have let Ace and Luffy know he was alive long before that.

I mean, Ace had become pretty renown so it's not like he wouldn't of known how to get a hold of them.
    I agree with your words in that the only believable "Sabo is alive" theory has to be if Sabo has amnesia. Amnesia fake-deaths are a terrible plot device in my opinion though, I have never seen a good amnesia story unravel given they are either too obvious or just flat out pointless to the story as a whole.

But yes, if Sabo was alive somewhere, which I don't believe since we saw enough of him to kill him off in the eyes of everyone who isn't fanboying him hard, the only excuse I would accept is amnesia. And then I'd be disappointed because it's typically such a poor technique that goes something like:

"Blahblahblah traumatic experience blahblah why am I crying? blah blah You remembered my name! *cries* blah blah I...remember..."

P.S. Stop referencing Ace and Whitebeard as ways Oda kills off characters. If you're going to argue for Sabo being alive, at least reference deaths in flashbacks. And then reference me any Shonen material where they show the mutilated body of a 12 year old boy in order to sicken readers and make it instantly Seinin.

Sorry readers: taking a break from my One Piece reviews. Though I love doing them, One Piece Reviews are actually not near the top of my to-do list. Perhaps one day I'll return and do them properly.

Spoiler: My one current One Piece prediction show

10. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member LeDuck's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bittman View Post
    I agree with your words in that the only believable "Sabo is alive" theory has to be if Sabo has amnesia. Amnesia fake-deaths are a terrible plot device in my opinion though, I have never seen a good amnesia story unravel given they are either too obvious or just flat out pointless to the story as a whole.

But yes, if Sabo was alive somewhere, which I don't believe since we saw enough of him to kill him off in the eyes of everyone who isn't fanboying him hard, the only excuse I would accept is amnesia. And then I'd be disappointed because it's typically such a poor technique that goes something like:

"Blahblahblah traumatic experience blahblah why am I crying? blah blah You remembered my name! *cries* blah blah I...remember..."

P.S. Stop referencing Ace and Whitebeard as ways Oda kills off characters. If you're going to argue for Sabo being alive, at least reference deaths in flashbacks. And then reference me any Shonen material where they show the mutilated body of a 12 year old boy in order to sicken readers and make it instantly Seinin.
    Good to see, that there are still people out here that think straight
    *cough*
    Sabo is not Moria, Kid, Kuma, Vegapunk or anyone else
    *cough*

We can't say he's dead for sure, because of the scene with dragon, because there was something about someone's injuries.

The question is, if he is alive, why:

- Didn't he say anything to Luffy / Ace
    - Didn't try to reach Ace when he became famous
    - Didn't try to save Ace

As said, there are about two options:

- It would be somehow in favor of the revolutionist to have someone, who is supposed to be dead
    - He doesn't remember anything

If you ask me, both would be pretty crappy, so if he comes back into the story, I hope we get a reasonable explanation.

12. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Wolf D. Arius's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

As i said in the current spoiler Thread, through the picture shown on this weeks cover i think that sabo is alive. Oda has drawn him as an adult and i dont think he would have designed him if he wasnt alive and used in the future. I dont think he is someone we know, but i can imagine he is one of the Rebel army commanders, like the guy Robin met at tequila wolf.

Would be no surprise

And amnesia? Come on... this is not really a thing that would be plausible, in my opinion. I would say, that Sabo serves the bigger purpose.. Dragon. And he knows that he alone could not change the fate of Ace and Ruffy, because it was their decisions / lifes that made this war happen. He cant take his part of the rebel army and just march into marineford, this would be suicide and of no use at all.

There is a reason, why the rebel army did not interfere in the war and i think this reason will soon open all our eyes

GreeTz, Wolf D. Arius

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Schabrak's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow Re: Sabo Thread

Quote Originally Posted by LeDuck View Post
    The question is, if he is alive, why:
    - Didn't he say anything to Luffy / Ace
    - Didn't try to reach Ace when he became famous
    - Didn't try to save Ace
    Everything following this sentence is theory:

A new life as a revolutionary had him tied to the cause of freeing people, the same reason Dragon never met with Luffy in person. Did he really have a reason to meet up with Ace, when he had a job to be done with absolute devotion, when both were still so young, when they still had decades to meet up.
    The same reason, his devotion to free thousands of people, instead of a single one, a reasonable reason, which so many people here try not to mention.
    What would a single person do, if there was a gigantic fleet of mighty pirates on the way to help Ace already, his family, his father and an army of nakama. Should he just leave his important position, just to risk exposure to the world?

People, think rational before repeating things again and again. And as mentioned before, amnesia is the worst plot device every created, I pray that Oda will never use it in his plot.
    Twitter - Firm but Fair

MH's Best Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Schabrak View Post
    Everything following this sentence is theory:

A new life as a revolutionary had him tied to the cause of freeing people, the same reason Dragon never met with Luffy in person. Did he really have a reason to meet up with Ace, when he had a job to be done with absolute devotion, when both were still so young, when they still had decades to meet up.
    The same reason, his devotion to free thousands of people, instead of a single one, a reasonable reason, which so many people here try not to mention.
    What would a single person do, if there was a gigantic fleet of mighty pirates on the way to help Ace already, his family, his father and an army of nakama. Should he just leave his important position, just to risk exposure to the world?

People, think rational before repeating things again and again. And as mentioned before, amnesia is the worst plot device every created, I pray that Oda will never use it in his plot.
    What did Luffy do the moment he found out Ace was to be executed? What would Ace have done if his and Luffy's position were reversed?

Ace was just as important to Sabo as he was to Luffy, all three of them were brothers after all. That is what makes him rationally choosing not to go try and help Ace for ANY reason seem so too far fetched. Luffy had important things to do and was well aware that he wasn't strong enough to take on an Admiral but nothing was more important to him than his brother's life from what we know about Sabo the same should have been true of him if he were alive/aware of his past.

The idea of him staying on the sidelines for the sake of something more important than his brother's life is like the opposite of Oda's writing style. Rationality doesn't even enter into it. I thought Oda hammered pretty hard on the point that there was nothing Luffy, Ace, and Sabo wouldn't have done for one another.
    Last edited by Jammin; August 26, 2010 at 08:01 PM.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]
    Otogi Taisen Fantasma [Esp. for Harem Fans]

16. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe sabo did not go there because it was physically impossible to do so. Say he was in the north blue as he found out what happened to ace. Even if he had the entire week before the announcement to get to him, it is impossible to travel the GL so fast.

18. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Schabrak's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow Re: Sabo Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
    The idea of him staying on the sidelines for the sake of something more important than his brother's life is like the opposite of Oda's writing style. Rationality doesn't even enter into it. I thought Oda hammered pretty hard on the point that there was nothing Luffy, Ace, and Sabo wouldn't have done for one another.
    What does his writing style has to do with presenting an extraordinary plot? It was Oda that showed Luffy believe in Ace, not going to help him, when he first saw the vivre card burning. :/ Dragon[revolutionaries], Law[pirate], the Gorousei[WG] have also shown rationalism; writing style != rationalism, it's just some characters being led by their feelings, while others are more calm and think things over.

Wasn't it Oda, who showed us that people can change, have goals, they would do anything for? They stay seperated for two years, because they are led bei their rationalism, instead of following their feelings and meet up right now.
    Last edited by Schabrak; August 26, 2010 at 08:48 PM.
    Twitter - Firm but Fair

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member El-Thor's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a theory about Sabo. It's pretty outlandish but here goes (it's also kinda short, hahah)

I think that Sabo's life was spared when his ship exploded because he was protected by a burst of Haki similar to what Ace and Luffy did. If you look at the last panel, Sabo's expression is similar to the expressions Luffy and Ace had when they released their Haki. Now, I understand his look can just be one of anger towards the Noble firing at him, but my theory/hope is that he used Haki to deflect the blast.

If Sabo is alive, then why didn't he contact Ace and Luffy since he must have seen their wanted posters ? It's because Sabo is in a coma. I think his Haki was enough to protect himself, but he still sustained some damage and went into a coma. He probably floated to an island where he was picked up by the inhabitants and that's where he is now. Hopefully he will wake up within the next two years and learn about everything that's happened.

Devil Fruits I want to see in OP : Tako Tako no Mi : Model Giant Octopus | Mythical Zoan : Model Griffin

New Reply
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast