Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/22/14 - 9/28/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!

View Poll Results: Sabo - dead or alive?

Voters
152. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dead - by the hands of St. Jalmack

    36 23.68%
  • Dead - on some later adventure

    1 0.66%
  • Alive - living in peace

    1 0.66%
  • Alive - sailing the sea as pirate

    11 7.24%
  • Alive - fighting for the Revolutionary Army

    103 67.76%
New Reply
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 135 of 201

Thread: Sabo Thread

  1. #121
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member hoeru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Country
    Mauritius
    Posts
    1,546
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sabo Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Cezgeth View Post
    It's an interesting point you put, but in conjunction in the way Sabo died, it just wasn't emotional at all.
    The whole chapters 588 and 589 was about Sabo's death - which is MUCH more than Oda spent for any other flashback death. Dogura wasn't emotional? And how the others Luffy, Ace and the Dadan family receive the message on his death isn't emotional, either? While Ace was shown to be bound on a tree, someone from the Dadan family says, that Luffy cried all the time and now finally fell asleep, and was still crying much after Sabo's letter arrived. Sabo's death is the reason for Luffy to get stronger, and stronger, and stronger, and stronger, and stronger, and stronger, and stronger, and stronger, and stronger, and stronger, and then even stronger to protect everyone. So that he won't have to lose anyone while it was the reason for Ace to treat Luffy as little brother and protect him no matter what.

    Sabo's death had a great emotional influence on both Ace and Luffy.

    Are you still dead serious on Sabo's death scenes not being emotional at all? Or have you simply not read those chapters? I know many here at MH dislike OP flashbacks because they want the plot to continue. But it's actually not that good to skip or skim through them without reading them as close as the rest of the story.

    And if the death scene was "emotional" or not isn't actually relevant whether or not Sabo is dead.

    What's in addition: Sabo has been much longer a friend to Ace than to Luffy. And yet, Ace asked Luffy to asy goodbye to Dadan, not Sabo. So Sabo had some years to contact either Luffy or Ace - there was always a way to do this in total secrecy. Especially if he got part of the World Revolution (Dragon showed up in Loguetown out of nowhere).

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutzu View Post
    now guys tell me do you realy belive that Oda who i'm sure he didn't write the databook page by page and some editors did he put such a big spoiler in a databook?
    But it's not one Databook but two (Green and Blue Deep). And errors withing a databook are corrected in the next one. We already know that from One Piece Red to One Piece Blue when Sanji's age was corrected.
    Last edited by hoeru; May 24, 2012 at 08:22 AM.

  2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
  3. #122
    Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Towson
    Country
    United States
    Age
    35
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    27,364
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sabo Thread

    Most importantly, this page says, in big ass letters, "After Sabo's Death". Sabo served his purpose as a character: Ace and Luffy first bonded over their mutual friendship with Sabo while he introduced both to the inequities of the world. Sabo's death was drawn in such a way that he could be brought back, his death was ambiguous, no body was seen. There is little reason to believe he survived his boat being shot twice at close range, until further evidence emerges any argument in favor of his survival is bound to be pretty weak, with little basis in the narrative.

  4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
  5. #123
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member damane08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Country
    Canada
    Age
    24
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    418
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sabo Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    Most importantly, this page says, in big ass letters, "After Sabo's Death". Sabo served his purpose as a character: Ace and Luffy first bonded over their mutual friendship with Sabo while he introduced both to the inequities of the world. Sabo's death was drawn in such a way that he could be brought back, his death was ambiguous, no body was seen. There is little reason to believe he survived his boat being shot twice at close range, until further evidence emerges any argument in favor of his survival is bound to be pretty weak, with little basis in the narrative.
    That's not a good argument for his death at all. Since you brought it up, I'll share these with you: The Mangareader version of that page. Those big ass letters aren't there, are they?

    Let's continue: This version was scanlated by Mangastream. Those big ass letter aren't present.

    Let's continue: This is the Chinese version. Those big ass letter aren't there either.

    And here's the Japanese version: See those big ass letters? Nope? I hope you understand the point i'm trying to make here. Those big ass letters were just added by the group that scanlated the chapter that you linked, it's not in any other version of the chapter.

  6. Thanks 5 Member(s) thanked this post
  7. #124
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Schabrak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    ( ´_ゝ`) ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Country
    Germany
    Age
    26
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    7,030
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sabo Thread

    Cezgeth
    You seem to not even have read the pages I mentioned nor hoeru's or Kaiten's posts in that regard. Nor did you answer my question of his purpose in the future plot. This will be last answer to you unless you really want to bring some arguments into the discussion about his supposed relevance to the plot in the future of the series. Anyway read their posts too please.

    P.S.: Earlier I posted: "That page in 589 is the sole reason, why hope for Sabo still exists, that can't be denied.^^" Also, bad story telling to you, not for me. He did fulfill his purpose. Oda can depict it however he wants, his purpose could have been to create a discussion and that idea has prospered greatly, as one can see from the discussion back than. After that, Sabo has been repeatedly been said to be dead, even had a tribute cover in the animal series, which I see as an conclusion to his part in the series.
    Last edited by Schabrak; May 24, 2012 at 01:04 PM.
    Twitter - Firm but Fair

  8. #125
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Shisu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Psyren
    Country
    Germany
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    494
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sabo Thread

    The person known as "Sabo" is dead.
    There's no way that this page refers to some fodder. It's Sabo, but well there's a lot stuff that can happen when you are on the verge of death. Most likely he lost his memories, gained a new name and lives as a revolutionary now.

    Basically, a new life as a new person.

  9. #126
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member hoeru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Country
    Mauritius
    Posts
    1,546
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sabo Thread

    What if the page refers to Dragon himself? Or Kuma? We see Dragon, "hear" Ivankov, but there's no trace of ... Kuma!

    See, without knowing to who this dialogue refers, it could mean anyone but Roger (already dead), Kuina and Zoro (seen training) and Ivankov (who was yelling at Dragon).

  10. #127
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Country
    France
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    6,245
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sabo Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by hoeru View Post

    Sabo's death had a great emotional influence on both Ace and Luffy.

    Are you still dead serious on Sabo's death scenes not being emotional at all? Or have you simply not read those chapters? I know many here at MH dislike OP flashbacks because they want the plot to continue. But it's actually not that good to skip or skim through them without reading them as close as the rest of the story.

    And if the death scene was "emotional" or not isn't actually relevant whether or not Sabo is dead.
    I speak for my own but I found that Luffy's flashback was one of the weakest of all. In term of emotion, I was 100 times more touched by Chopper, Robin or even Nami ones. So yes, Sabo death was not really emotional to me but that is not really an argument for him being alive or not.
    Quote Quote:
    But it's not one Databook but two (Green and Blue Deep). And errors withing a databook are corrected in the next one. We already know that from One Piece Red to One Piece Blue when Sanji's age was corrected.
    Since when are Databook proof of something. They are just resume of the manga, so it basically as if you say that Sabo is dead in the manga so far. They have no added value. In case Dragon saved Sabo, do you expect them to say : "Sabo was shot by a tenryubito but saved by dragon". The only thing that databooks reveal is the name of characters that will never appear again.

    Quote Originally Posted by Schabrak View Post
    Cezgeth
    P.S.: Earlier I posted: "That page in 589 is the sole reason, why hope for Sabo still exists, that can't be denied.^^"
    It's the sole reason but a seriously strong one. Honestly, is there another interpretation for this panel ?
    I don't really care if he is alive or not, but if he was alive, that would make Ace death even more unfair since, him thinking Sabo was dead, had a really huge impact on his and luffy's life.

  11. #128
    MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Uriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Westeros
    Country
    Argentina
    Age
    26
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,598
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sabo Thread

    It's not about databook, but I think it was in SBS stated that Sabo was death. Can't remember which one, though.
    The Sky is pouring
    The wind is blowing
    The sea looks red,
    a surging sea of flames
    looks like the entrance to hell
    'Perfect', the captain said.

  12. #129
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Ninja_Pirate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Country
    India
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,037
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sabo Thread

    SBS Volume 68

    D: Oda-chi! I went to see the One Piece Exhibition. At that time, chapter 668, "Pirate Alliance" was the chapter in Jump!!! In the "From the Decks of the World" picture, there were three sake cups in front of Ace's grave!!! Is it alright to think THAT person visited Ace's grave?? I expect that only Luffy and that person really know for sure... P.N. Hairdresser Gonke

    O: Right, this is the image from chapter 668 that's in this very volume, but when it appeared in Jump, the advertisement messages covered up some parts and readers couldn't see it all very well. But at that time, the One Piece Exhibition was in Tokyo, and the person who wrote this letter went and saw the original image to confirm. You can also confirm it with this very volume. As for what you should think when you see this, well, I'll leave that to your imaginations for now.

    I have not noticed it obviously ... does this give any idea ??????????????

  13. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
  14. #130
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member vagabond87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Country
    Poland
    Age
    27
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,718
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sabo Thread

    Its like confirming of Sabo being alive.

    And I am so sure I wrote abou this here or on Arlong Park forums not so long ago.. So sure that my head hurts I cant find that post right now -.- damn...

  15. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  16. #131
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Ninja_Pirate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Country
    India
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,037
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sabo Thread

    Its funny that i remember someone mentioning that ... But others went on saying "he is too obsessed with sabo being alive and trying to see thing which does not exist" .... The pic is actually not clear to see three cups there .... But SBS confirmed it .. So I guess that's a proof .. and I like the playfulness of Oda there saying

    "As for what you should think when you see this, well, I'll leave that to your imaginations for now"

    I am sure oda chose that questions of many , because the question has been asked with THAT person in mind

    Now let our imaginations go wild .....

  17. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  18. #132
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member vagabond87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Country
    Poland
    Age
    27
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,718
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sabo Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Pirate View Post
    Its funny that i remember someone mentioning that ... But others went on saying "he is too obsessed with sabo being alive and trying to see thing which does not exist" .... The pic is actually not clear to see three cups there .... But SBS confirmed it .. So I guess that's a proof .. and I like the playfulness of Oda there saying

    "As for what you should think when you see this, well, I'll leave that to your imaginations for now"

    I am sure oda chose that questions of many , because the question has been asked with THAT person in mind

    Now let our imaginations go wild .....
    I posted link to this and quoted almost all of it(at least I think so, maybe I was drunk or dreaming about posting this lol)
    http://allmangareviews.blogspot.com/...a-hinting.html

    and here you have better picture

  19. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  20. #133
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Ninja_Pirate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Country
    India
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,037
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sabo Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutzu View Post
    Sabo is alive,you can see just 2 cups and i assume there are 3,we have to wait for a better version of the cover
    Found it ... the first post to depict that ... kudos to this

    And the post against it... (I just remebered reading it)

    Quote Originally Posted by Schabrak View Post
    That ain't Sabo's grave, so there's no need for a third cup. Or it's just two cups for both Ace and Newgate, or the traditional way with one for the griever, one for the dead. Every thought about that? Sabo is dead until Oda retcons the story. Is there a need for him to be alive, plotwise?[I await a honest answer. ]
    ---------- Post added at 06:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:07 PM ----------

    Oops... That wasnt the first ... but this one.. This guy only did one post till date ... and thats also a useful one

    Quote Originally Posted by Kigo View Post
    Does anyone else think that the cover implied that Sabo had visited Ace's grave. I would think that anyone who was visiting Ace would also put a drink down for Whitebeard too (huge one at that) unless it was Sabo.

  21. #134
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Country
    Brazil
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    102
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sabo Thread

    It's a hint that Sabo is alive. No doubt. There are sake bottle, three glasses and a newspaper IN FRONT OF ACE'S GRAVE and flowers in front of Whitebeard's. Sake to Ace, Luffy and Sabo reminding their eternal brotherhood. Flowers to Whitebeard as a mark of respect because he gave his life trying to save bro Ace's life. Last but not least, the newspaper seems to show Ace that Strawhat Pirates are alive, or rather, lil bro Luffy is alive. That's it. Oda isn't a gratuitous mangaka.

  22. #135
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner MaZa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Country
    Greece
    Age
    20
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    26
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Sabo Thread

    it is confirmed sabo is dead from mangafox "A databook revealed that the guy that everyone thought was Sabo was instead a dude named Bunny Joe. Another stated that Sabo is dead for real.

    So we'll never see him as a revolutionary. In fact we'll never see him at all."

New Reply
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts