Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Bleach 576 by cnet128
Thread Closed
Page 73 of 134 FirstFirst ... 23 63 71 72 73 74 75 83 123 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,095 of 2003

Thread: The Football/Soccer Thread v2

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity FrostyMouse's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Football/Soccer Thread v2

Quote Originally Posted by Imperium View Post
    They are biased towards those two leagues because they are the most lucrative, the most watched and - subjectively - the highest standard of quality. But anyway the commentators in Britain are notorious for not knowing anything about anything that happens abroad though, so they really should be taken with a pinch of salt (or my preference, the mute button).

The worst CL will always be 04. (Sorry jorped, but I still havent gotten over that Chelsea match)

So Fifa has decided to punish us with more international football next week. Any particular games anyone is looking forward too?
    Oh, I ignore all of what the British commentators say for the most part. Some of the BBC guys, like Mark Lawro and Vickery, are often a bit off the mark.

Imp, I don't care so much about that '04 match, even though I'm still a bit angry about it. What I am still pissed about is the 08-09 CL SF against Barca and the home leg. That damn referee was so corrupt. You should never send death threats to a referee, but if there were ever a referee who deserved it, it's that guy. The 08-09 CL involved so much UEFA corruption. I don't hate Barca, although if there were something to make me hate Barca, it would be the blatant UEFAlona that year.

International friendlies are a non-entity. You just need to believe that they're a figment of Sepp Blatter's imagination. The last round of international friendlies featured Argentina vs Brazil, and the only player of significant consequence who was available was Neymar, and he's way overrated, which the Olympics exposed to a large extent.
    Last edited by FrostyMouse; October 04, 2012 at 09:46 PM.

Spoiler show

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Imperium's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

I would have to disagree with YTim Vickery. I think he is a very good myself. His blog on the bbc is the only bbc one I visit.

You wouldnt would you, Chelsea won. I remember that game. It was a joke honestly. Conspiracy flags were at full mast, but in hindsight I think it was just incompetence rather than anything malicious or corrupt.

I know England is playing the WC qualifiers, so I would imagine the rest of Europe is too. Im not sure for the other continents.

Edit: Looking at the fixtures the only interesting game seems to be Spain vs France on the 16th. I think I'll watch that, it should be good as it is important to qualify first.
    Certified Mafia Game Shit Talker

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps, perhaps, Imp. That home leg in 08-09 was complete bs though.

Did you see Barca vs Milan this year? The corruption gave Barca a penalty on a corner. A guy "fell over," by which I mean he probably slipped or fell on his own, during a corner kick and they awarded a penalty to Barca.

---------- Post added at 09:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:59 AM ----------

Tim Vickery makes good blogs most of the time, although I think some are a bit questionable as he's sometimes biased in favor of certain teams. While I'm a Chelsea fan, I think some of his pro-Chelsea blogs have been a bit over the top. You get what I'm what trying to say. I read what Lawro has to say, but I think he's often wrong, especially in his match predictions for the week.

Spoiler show

The True Ninja MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted jorped's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

What '04 match are you exactly talking about?

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jorped View Post
    What '04 match are you exactly talking about?
    I think he might have been talking about the match Chelsea lost to AS Monaco in 03-04, but he said we beat Porto, and we didn't even play Porto except in the 04-05 group stage.

Spoiler show

6. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    The True Ninja MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted jorped's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrostyMouse View Post
    I think he might have been talking about the match Chelsea lost to AS Monaco in 03-04, but he said we beat Porto, and we didn't even play Porto except in the 04-05 group stage.
    Yeah, that was what i was wondering! At first i thought he was talking about 03-04, have been a really weird "Champions League" ....
    At that time i only followed Porto's game and was kinda young, so no clue if Chelsea was robbed or something against Monaco.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jorped View Post
    Yeah, that was what i was wondering! At first i thought he was talking about 03-04, have been a really weird "Champions League" ....
    At that time i only followed Porto's game and was kinda young, so no clue if Chelsea was robbed or something against Monaco.
    I can't recall whether we were robbed or not, but we were favored to win the tie and of the four SFs, we were favored to win the CL that year, so take that as you will.

We were robbed with the "ghost goal" against Liverpool in the 04-05 CL SF though.

Spoiler show

9. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Imperium's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

No!

I was talking about Arsenal vs Chelsea! That was fucked up guys!

;_;
    Certified Mafia Game Shit Talker

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Imperium View Post
    No!

I was talking about Arsenal vs Chelsea! That was fucked up guys!

;_;
    Um, Imp, pardon me, but I don't exactly recall what went wrong in the match. Would you mind refreshing my memory?

I'm sure, based on your reaction, that something must have occurred, but I primarily only recall the big Chelsea ties where we got cheated or we got a truly spectacular win...

Spoiler show

Mangahelper MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted ibra87's Avatar
    Country
    Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm getting slowly frustrated watching juve play. The strikers are really not good That's exactly why I think Bendtner should get the same chance Borrielo did with Conte last season but so far it doesn't seem like he'll get any chances.
    Tiger, Tiger.

Let it be known far and wide
    I cheer for Saint-Etienne from the bottom of my heart

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kakashi919's Avatar
    Country
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ibra87 View Post
    I'm getting slowly frustrated watching juve play. The strikers are really not good That's exactly why I think Bendtner should get the same chance Borrielo did with Conte last season but so far it doesn't seem like he'll get any chances.
    He'll get his chance eventually. I think he'll be used more in the chamipon's league as a sub than in Serie A.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

On the plus side for Juve, don't forget that Conte's suspension was reduced to four months.

Spoiler show

Country
    Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrostyMouse View Post
    On the plus side for Juve, don't forget that Conte's suspension was reduced to four months.
    Doesn't change anything, the strikers will still suck with Conte .

@kakashi919: Yeah, I'm guessing he'll start against FCN. Doesn't change the fact that he used to play for Arsenal so he should have some potential. He's not exactly excellent but Juve strikers aren't exactly setting the bar very high
    Tiger, Tiger.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ibra87 View Post
    Doesn't change anything, the strikers will still suck with Conte .

@kakashi919: Yeah, I'm guessing he'll start against FCN. Doesn't change the fact that he used to play for Arsenal so he should have some potential. He's not exactly excellent but Juve strikers aren't exactly setting the bar very high
    That is true, I suppose...

On other news, it's 2-2 in El Clasico with a double for both Messi and Ronaldo.

Spoiler show

Country
    Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, for once the 2 superstars both actually did what people expected them to do It was a shame Real madrid didn't win but at least an 8 points gap is better than 11 so the league isn't completely dead. Mourinho just needs to not drop any more games until Barca does
    Tiger, Tiger.

Thread Closed
Page 73 of 134 FirstFirst ... 23 63 71 72 73 74 75 83 123 ... LastLast