Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/14/14 - 4/20/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by kewl0210
Thread Closed
Page 84 of 134 FirstFirst ... 34 74 82 83 84 85 86 94 ... LastLast
Results 1,246 to 1,260 of 2003

Thread: The Football/Soccer Thread v2

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kakashi919's Avatar
    Country
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Football/Soccer Thread v2

I'm actually starting to think that LFP is actually more competitive than we think. Look at the Spanish teams performances in Europe this season, a lot better than other leagues. Valencia,Madrid,Malaga and Barca are all through to the next round and none had trouble getting through. City and Chelsea are both out, though City was in the group of death, so thats understandable. Who knows though, LFP just might turn out to be the most competitive.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Hardy's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

This is the moment in my life when I start disliking Brazilian teams. Sao Paulo, I used to like you. F U .

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity FrostyMouse's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

kakashi, perhaps it's that the bottom teams are so far below the good teams in LFP that we think that. When Falcao can singlehandedly destroy Deportivo on his own, does that really speak of a competitive league? LFP's a lot less physical than other leagues, and I actually think that Messi wouldn't have such an easy time in the Premier League because the defenders are bigger and stronger. Someone would throw in a rough tackle on him every match and he'd start taking some hits.

In none of the other leagues is there such disparity between the top and bottom. The bottom Premier League teams are pretty awful, but the mid-table teams are good. The Bundesliga is usually quite competitive (the most competitive of the big five European leagues, actually), although Bayern seem to have locked the title up quickly this season. In Ligue 1, if you want to call no one repeating as champions competitive, I guess, but it's primarily a big bunch of mediocrity with a few stars spread out among the teams (except for PSG), and the lesser sides who have young stars sell them, such as Lille with Hazard, and then they're out of France. Serie A, well, I just don't like Italian football all that much, but it is competitive at times; it's a pity that Milan's having financial problems though.

Spoiler show

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Imperium's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kakashi919 View Post
    I'm actually starting to think that LFP is actually more competitive than we think.
    It's not as bad as people say it is, but its still not nearly close enough to any major league. It depends on how you define competition. The more teams that can win the final prize, the more competitive a league is. If the la liga was an 18 team league it would be incredibly competitive (the two missing teams being obvious). It will never be competitive until they sort out their joke that is their finances.

Quote Originally Posted by FrostyMouse View Post
    LFP's a lot less physical than other leagues, and I actually think that Messi wouldn't have such an easy time in the Premier League because the defenders are bigger and stronger.
    He wouldnt do it on a "cold rainy night in stoke" eh?
    Quote Originally Posted by gnut View Post
    ...i could pimp in bulgaria...my game tight like that

Country
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Post Thanks / Like

kakashi, perhaps it's that the bottom teams are so far below the good teams in LFP that we think that. When Falcao can singlehandedly destroy Deportivo on his own, does that really speak of a competitive league? LFP's a lot less physical than other leagues, and I actually think that Messi wouldn't have such an easy time in the Premier League because the defenders are bigger and stronger. Someone would throw in a rough tackle on him every match and he'd start taking some hits.

In none of the other leagues is there such disparity between the top and bottom. The bottom Premier League teams are pretty awful, but the mid-table teams are good. The Bundesliga is usually quite competitive (the most competitive of the big five European leagues, actually), although Bayern seem to have locked the title up quickly this season. In Ligue 1, if you want to call no one repeating as champions competitive, I guess, but it's primarily a big bunch of mediocrity with a few stars spread out among the teams (except for PSG), and the lesser sides who have young stars sell them, such as Lille with Hazard, and then they're out of France. Serie A, well, I just don't like Italian football all that much, but it is competitive at times; it's a pity that Milan's having financial problems though.
    Falcao singlehandedly destroyed Chelsea

6. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

LFP's a lot less physical than other leagues, and I actually think that Messi wouldn't have such an easy time in the Premier League because the defenders are bigger and stronger. Someone would throw in a rough tackle on him every match and he'd start taking some hits.
    I was wating for this.

Last edited by Hardy; December 14, 2012 at 01:22 AM.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Imperium View Post
    He wouldnt do it on a "cold rainy night in stoke" eh?
    Precisely. Until Messi shows me that he can do it, I'm not completely positive that he can. Doing it on a rain soaked pitch with a hostile crowd and defenders who literally attempt to injure is rather harder than a wide, dry pitch in Spain where the defenders aren't that physical and don't play cynically.

I know Messi scored against Celtic in the away match, but it was just a consolation and he was not very effective in Scotland.

Quote Originally Posted by kakashi919 View Post
    Falcao singlehandedly destroyed Chelsea
    Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know. I watched the match. While it was hailed as a great performance for Falcao, Chelsea had a fairly different starting lineup (new players and all) than in the previous season and Di Matteo was being told to play an offensive style, not a defensive style like he was used to. Falcao was amazing in that match, but it wasn't the defensively solid Chelsea of old.

I'd like to see how Falcao would've faredagainst last season's defensive rock Chelsea, which wasn't even close to being Chelsea's best defensive side, which was in 08/09.

Spoiler show

Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

A corrupt ref didn't give us four penalties and then one moment where Iniesta bends a magical ball that Cech's unsighted for gave the tie to Barca in like the 93rd minute.
    Oh, and just to be fair...

(video made by a guy from Madrid)

1st ¨penalty¨ : foul outside the area (or however you call it) and both players struggle to have it when it's inside. Referi calls outside freeckick. Seems ok.

2nd : Abidal DOES grab Drogba (it's part of hard play, but it IS penalty) and Drogba just stupidly falls (tries a Busquets, doesn't make it) that's what probably confused the referi.

3rd: Touré touches the ball.

4th: they both struggle, not a penalty at all.

5th: even the guy from Madrid realises that it wasn't on porpuse.

6th: Eto' o turns completely around and covers his face, it wasn't a penalty either.

So don't call the referi corrupt, that would had been a hard night for any referi; and only 1 out of 6 fouls that everyone complained was actually a penalty (at least for me).

BTW, I don't root for Barca, at all (I don't like unbeatable teams), I've always liked underdogs.

Go Real Sociedad!

Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Precisely. Until Messi shows me that he can do it, I'm not completely positive that he can. Doing it on a rain soaked pitch with a hostile crowd and defenders who literally attempt to injure is rather harder than a wide, dry pitch in Spain where the defenders aren't that physical and don't play cynically.

I know Messi scored against Celtic in the away match, but it was just a consolation and he was not very effective in Scotland.
    http://hasmessidoneitonawetnightinstokeyet.com/

This discussion has been done to death though ever since Andy Grays infamous comments. Personally my view is that a lot of those teams that messi will be facing on a "wet cold night" are utter shite. Can Aguero do it against stoke? Yes, but not because he likes rain or isnt afraid of a rough tackle, but because Shawcross takes half and hour to turn and cant catch anything with a modicum of skill. The la liga has its fair share of rough cynical cunts as well, pepe being the most prominent example, they just go about it in different ways. Messi can do it in the premier league the same way Ronaldo did, and seeing as they are both currently playing better than 08 Ronaldo they probably would rip teams to complete and utter shreds including your boltons and stokes.

Honestly the fancy foreigners cant handle the rough and tumble Premier league is a silly trope that the people here bandy about when they want to dismiss a player. It was said about every skillfull player that comes to these shores. All of them. From Bergkamp to Hazard. Teams struggle in those places because of bad tactics not because its raining a bit or their players arent "up for it" (another trope that fucking annoys me to death).

Edit: Sorry if I kinda ranted there a bit.
    Last edited by Imperium; December 14, 2012 at 05:17 PM.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Imp, I'm not serious, as I fully believe that Messi can do it on a wet night in Stoke. Messi, and Barca as a whole, possess enough class to steamroll almost every team in the world, but it just so happens that some of Messi's more memorable less successful outings have been against bigger, more physical sides. When Barca is taken away from the uber-wide Camp Nou, at times they do struggle against good counterattacking sides, although they usually have to be quite good. Messi has managed to overcome Mourinho's counterattacking style, although not every other team's.

I would actually dare to say that at times Chelsea's players, and sometimes those of other teams, do play below their capacity in order to get managers fired (looks at AVB), although I don't buy the "aren't up for it" excuse.

Spoiler show

12. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep, there record in away games in Eastern Europe especially speaks for itself. It's abysmal, but it really put a lot of that is down to tactics. They face such an unfamiliar type of football that they are unaccustomed to. I think its fair to say that teams can have difficulties in those places. God knows Arsenal hate going to Blackburn or Bolton. Barcelona havent had someone throw a football from the touchline at them at insane speeds, or ridiculously tall centrebacks impede Valdes with impunity but those situations are tactical not really about individual players abilities which is why its fairer to speak about a team struggling on a wet night in stoke rather than a player.

There are some obvious obvious cases when players are genuinely not motivated to play. But the ones that annoy me is when a player pulls away from a dangerous tackle and twat number 1 says "oh he is not up for it tonight" and twat number 2 replies "he doesnt want to get stuck in". Argh! I want to smash the tv.

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, it is troublesome when you're facing completely foreign styles, which is why I think that a lot of teams have sometimes struggled in matches where they should've been better at all 11 positions. We saw United and Munich (although Munich won 7-0 in the return leg) struggle with FC Basel last season, for example. That could say that Pep Guardiola can be tactically naive at times (although all managers can) and it doesn't help that most of his players are really quite short, so set pieces and aerial challenges can be a struggle for Barca. I've actually thought that Tito Vilanova has done a nice job with the squad this season, although most managers would win most of the time with Barca just by sending them out onto the pitch.

That's the type of commenting you see when Gary Neville calls David Luiz Sideshow Bob. I'm actually amused by those types of commentators, even though we'd be better off without having to hear them spout nonsense.

Chelsea's often struggled facing Everton away because Everton's often really physical and that gets in the way, such as how Everton comprehensively (even though it was only 1-0) beat United at Everton to open this season.

Spoiler show

Country
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Post Thanks / Like

To me, once you can apply pressure and disrupt Barca's and Arsenal's rythym, its gonna be very hard for them. Arsenal vs Newcastle last season for example, leading 4-0 in the first half and then Newcastle started to press and pressure them and ended up levelling the scores in the end... could have even won it. That's why I'm so eager to see Juventus' formation and style go up against Barca in the CL. It would be awesome if they can push Barca to their limits and even win.

Speaking of players not "up for it" in the EPL, I wonder how Raul would have done in the EPL. He had no problems adapting to the Bundesliga, which one can argue isn't as physical as EPL, but he basically carried Schalke really far in CL. Even Del Piero, would have loved to see him in a Liverpool jersey this season

Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Australia calls though, kakashi.

Spoiler show

Country
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Post Thanks / Like