Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 592 by BadKarma , Gintama 506 (2)
New Reply

Thread: Simoun

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Simoun

Before I even get started on this,...
    I am one of those people that for the life of me cannot decide witch category an anime belongs to. This is evidenced by my repeated postings in the wrong forums. To avoid doing it again, I have decided to create this thread in the general manga discussion forum and hope that a Mod or Admin moves it if need be. Actually I do not even know if there is a manga for this show, as I have so far only encountered the anime. So if there is a shojo Anime section on this board I guess that is where this thread belongs.

Anyway Some time ago, I read a very short description of this anime over at fansub.tv I saw that the artwork looked fairly decent and I thought to myself ok this sounds rather weird so why don't I download the first ep and see if it can catch my interest.
    This has over the last half year become my standard operating procedure; I read a description, if I find that I am in the mood for the kind of stuff I download the first episode and if I am not impressed I delete it and never look back again. At least that is how it is supposed to work in theory. With Simoun it was decidedly different.
    Confused yet? well this is a rant after all so I am not working too hard to organize my thoughts. But just to help you out a little I will see if I can find the synopsis that started this whole thing. By the way if you are planing to watch this show and you absolutely do not want to be spoiled maybe you should not read this because I plan to go over a bunch of plot elements and characters, just thought you might like to know.

anyway, I found it:

Quote Quote:
    The story takes place on a planet different from the Earth. They call their planet the Great Air Continent. There, they are born as female. When they become 15 years old, they go to the "spring" and choose their sex to become "adult".

They are at war; the country where the main characters live is invaded by the next country aiming at their superior engine. Day by day, the situation is getting severer. To intercept their attack, they convert the two-seater plane for ceremony, Simoun, into a fighter. Also, they organize an air squad, "Call", which consists of "Mediums". They are...
    Warning, what follows is a very disoriented rant written in the heat of the moment. the writing is full of strong biases and misinterpretations based on shocking first impressions. Reading this post might give you the wrong ideas about this anime which, now that I have seen more of it, is actually a very well thought out captivating and artistic experience. of course it is also a little unsettling. If this does not scare you away then go ahead and click the spoiler tag. This is your last warning though, I can get rather long winded.

Spoiler show

I see that quite a few people have at least looked into this thread, but there have been no replies in almost half a year (maybe more, I don't remember when I originally posted this). could it be that my writing style is that bad that I scared away everyone before they even finished to read it? or is there just nothing to say about my thoughts? I did not think that this would be a popular thread per say, but I thought at least one or two would comment in this amount of time.
    Last edited by kiddo7; April 05, 2007 at 06:47 PM. Reason: spelling
    Blind dude rocks! click the link to find out why, I dare you
    Spoiler: awesome slashdot(and other) quote(s) show

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rant about "Simoun"

i will reply!

so my procedure to your screening-for-whether-i-should-watch-this-anime is pretty similiar. i find a basic description, some more indepth description from wikipedia usually, maybe see if it's been blogged and try to see the art style and screepcaps and summaries (as you can see i don't care about spoilers. lol. unless they're like REALLY HUGE.... nvm... i don't make sense) ... and then download the first episode or two and see what it's like. .... maybe a lot of people do that. (:

but yeah... there are some things that will shut up off from a particular anime or manga. hentai and homosexual themes. i just can't stand it and hate it. i don't want it to sound as if i'm making a proclamation to say that homosexuals in the real world are horrible people and hated by me, because i don't believe that. i don't agree with homosexuality, but that's where my faith and belief is at. ok... before this becomes some dissertation about my beliefs... lol.

but yeah. so basically if there are hentai themes and/or homosexual themes i don't watch it. although... now-a-day anime and manga... or media in general are becoming more and more "hentai"-ish... even in American tv shows. ok ANYWAY... dang... i'm good at getting off topic.

so yeah. i didn't like simoun at all. the art was beautiful, the music was cool... but the whole yuri thing plus the guys sounded like girls was not right. i was really disappointed because i read in a review that it was a really good anime, having no idea that it was yuri. sigh... waste of a download. but that's my opinion. like mai-otome... have heard so many good things. just can't watch it cuz it's yuri. i just can't. sigh... some people may think i'm being close-minded... but i don't think so. it just goes against my nature and being i guess... it makes me sad that all these good animes/mangas are yuri or yaoi...

o... and i did read your whole summary. do i get a prize?! like... coffee flavored ice cream with chunks of espresso and one of those figurines that nods its head in the sun (those solar-powered figurines made from japan i think).... jk! - -''

i hope i didn't offend anyone. i didn't mean to. my apologies if i did, but i still stand true to what i said. (:
    the greatest sacrifice has been paid; and now we may awaken from our deepest slumber, and bask in the Light partaking in sweet fellowship for eternity.

Country
    Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I am very glad to finally get a reply. And i am deeply honored to hear that you read the whole post. your prize will be my everlasting and undying respect. I cannot really offer you more than that in real life. but if you are into virtual gifts (like the cookies they used to hand out in the intro thread) then you should expect to receive a coffee flavored ice cream with chunks of espresso and one of those figurines that nods its head in the sun, with your name on it in the near future, and as a bonus a batch of the most delicious warm chocolate-butterscotch- cookies you can imagine with a cup of hot chocolate with marshmallows to wash them down.... and a hug.

Also I respect and understand your opinion and i do not think any less of you for stating it. I too disapprove of homosexuality (not the people, just the practice) and was very disturbed when I first saw the anime, but for some reason I continued to watch it. Does this mean that I have compromised my standards? Am I less of a person because of it? I guess we just can't tell for sure for now, I hope not anyway.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

niiiiice. i luuuurrrveee cookies! thank you very much! *bow*

thank you for respecting and understanding my opinion. like you, i also disapprove of the act, not the people. i wouldn't say that you have compromised your standards, but it might get a person wondering why you would engage/support watching it if you don't condone the act. It's hard to make any sort of judgment because one could use that explanation with anything though. many people take part in things that they morally do not agree with. scratch many... i mean EVERYONE. no one's perfect and so that's why it happens unfortunately. It's the same thing as me watching the t.v. show Will&Grace. I absolutely LOVE that t.v. so it makes me laugh ALL the time... however, it is rather irking or unsettling that two of the four... or three of the four characters are homosexual... i don't really watch it anymore, but i don't hesitate to say that it's one of my favorites... maybe i should now.

so yes. i know that i compromise my standards a lot of the times unfortunately. but i strive to avoid situations that would make me do so, and get support from the people around me to keep me accountable and in check. (:

the greatest sacrifice has been paid; and now we may awaken from our deepest slumber, and bask in the Light partaking in sweet fellowship for eternity.

Country
    Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, The series has come to an end, and I have watched the final episode.
    I must say it was a lot less meaning full than I expected it to be.

You would figure having such a ridiculous setting and so radical a plot that the makers would have a good message to deliver or at least go out with a bang right.
    Well that was just somehow not the case. While there was some sort of resolution, it was not very encompassing, a lot was left open ended and up to interpretation and imagination.

All that really happened is that most of the girls resolved their issues or just learned to live with them. The ones that did not, well, nobody really knows what happened to them. They just hope and believe that they made a difference but no one is sure. Turns out, the best part of this anime Was really just the soundtrack, followed by the artwork. And in the end it was really not about the war or the exploits of the priestesses, or even about good versus evil. It was an anime about growing up and putting childish things aside. I thought I had found something different but it was just the same old same old in a very disturbing but flashy packaging. Alas, the old adage rings true once more: There is nothing new under the sun.

Thank you for bearing with me.

If you agree or disagree let me know.

(This post and the entire thread is addressed to any wayward reader who stumbles upon it. While I have written it mainly for myself so I can sort out my thoughts and feeling, discovering what they actually are by writing them down. If any of this rings a chord with you or rubs you the wrong way, Then you can think of it as being written solely for your sake and we can start a discussion. This is my first and only review of a series so if you have any comments for me I would love to hear them. As you can see Cairo was kind enough to answer and i did not bite. Anyway that's it from me for a while.)

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member gigantor21's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I didn't think the rant was that bad at all. It read pretty easily for me.

Anyway, this sounds like the type of series I cannot stand--the ones which throw in disturbing elements to hide the shallowness of the overall experience. The homosexual and transsexual things just seem like they were either thrown in to give the series some much-needed "oopmh", or they were around from the start and ended up being a distraction.

I personally have no problem with homosexuality, but I DO have a problem with writers and producers exploiting and trivializing it to make their shows less generic. That stems from the fact that I have friends who are gay and bi, so I know that it's not just the random fetish that many far right pundits make it out to be. Now, I don't think either you or cairo fit into this category, but I think they were trying to reel people in who thought the show would have more substance if it dealt with such controversial topics.

This reminds me of that movie from the Sundance Film Festival, which was about President Bush being assassinated. I remember seeing some critic on the news saying that the murder was the only noteworthy part of the movie, and it was just a basic crime thriller after the fact. Simoun sounds very similar to that, so I'm not even going to bother.
    Last edited by gigantor21; June 18, 2007 at 10:01 AM.

...WTF is Aizen smiling about? XD

Quote Originally Posted by Random YouTube Comment
    "Roses are red.
    Violets are blue.
    Omae wa mo shindeiru!"

New Reply